"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:20 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Decent chapter.

Pretty much played out the events like in the anime, but with a few extra touches. I enjoyed Vegeta fighting Beerus and how there is more emphasis that Goku and Vegeta will indeed catch up to Beerus one day. Despite Beerus absolutely owning MSSJB Vegeta and stating that it would take a million years before he became his rival at this stage

Goku taking the people who tried to robe with to the polic and getting a cash reward for it was very good. But I still found the pregnancy joke unfunny and the fact that Goku didn't know when Gohan and Goten were born just extremely unnecessary.

I prefer the immense tension and more serious tone with how Goku wanted press the Zeno Button and and visit Zeno to remind him about the tournament in the anime. The manga got the same point across, but I wanted the moment to feel a bit more dramatic considering it kick-starts the entire plot.
I really do not like these constant "see, this is where they stand, I'll show you and I will even tell you" scenes. Doing that in an interview or maybe all 10-20 chapters would be enough.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:24 am

Nice breather chapter.

No thoughts on it, but the usual "You people sure overreact to things before the chapter is even translated" complaint.
TheSaiyanGod wrote:I have not read the chapter yet. So, is SSB a variation of SSG, like SSJ2 and 3 are for SSJ?
Yes, this chapter said as much.

However, it's something that's been known since the form's introduction. It's always been described as a Saiyan going to Super Saiyan form, but using God ki.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 am

Xeztin wrote:That's true though 8-9x should have been enough to defeat Beerus easily with SSJB, even 8-9x is a bit unworldly. Either that or Beerus keeps getting stronger.
Why you say that? The only reference we have of Beerus power is that he was entertained by SSJ God Goku. Which is widely open to interpretation, since nobody in this Universe was even remotely close to him.
My assumption is that Beerus only faced microscopic beings and SSJ God Goku was an ant. Will still vastly inferior, at least it gave Beerus the chance to poke him aka being entertained.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

so the manga is hinting at a brand new transformation in order to take on beerus. They have him so much higher than goku and vegeta both.

I guess vegeta and goku are equals now that they have mastered blue but no where near beerus it seems.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am

Good chapter as usual. Hopefully we get more slice of life stuff from Toyo during the build to the tournament

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 am

Fun chapter. Liked the slice of life stuff with Goku, and it was cool to see where Vegeta (& by extension Goku) stands relative to Beerus.

I'm beating a dead horse I know, but I really do wonder what the RoF arc would look like if Toyotaro handled it. Hopefully we get a flashback to the Golden Freeza fight when it comes to the recruiting mini-arc. I actually think there is a possibility that not having covered it at the time opens Toyotaro up to other possibilities (maybe Goku fought Freeza as a Super Saiyan before going blue, or maybe he would've went straight from base->blue, and Goku could've felt the stamina issues from blue).

Speaking of recruiting, I wonder what from those episodes makes it to the manga? Some of it was meh, but I liked some portions. 17 and Freeza are featured prominently on the cover, so it appears they will get some shine in the pre-TOP chapters. I also liked the Piccolo/Gohan training episode, so it would be neat if Toyotaro includes it.

I'm not sure if the exhibition match stuff will make it to the manga. I hope it does though, the Buu/Basil and Gohan/Lavenda fights were two of the best in the anime so far. Regardless, the take on TOP and the events leading up to it should be an exciting read. I think the pacing of the manga has been on point ever since we got into the Universe 6 tournament.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 am

It was definitely a great chapter. Goku laughing with the robbers and telling Vegeta to look at him and see that he doesn't even know when Goten and Gohan were born made laugh. Hilarious. Not even joking by the way.

Like everyone else, it is definitely noticeable how many times Toyo reuses same poses and impact frames when creating a fight. Do they look great? Yeah. But it does get bothersome. Hopefully this arc can push him to make more creative panels.

Thank god Toyo redeemed himself by giving Vegeta MSSB even though that idea itself is dumb since that's the point of SSB lol Did anyone notice that Goku was hinting that Whis was supposed to teach him something and saying it like it's a secret? I don't see him getting taught this at all considering he won't even have the time.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Oh, now I'm confused, going by the translations that I read. It seems like Goku just forgot their birthday, not that he wasn't there or aware.

Maybe someone can explain that to me because that is no where as bad as the anime or what I thought.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Totamo wrote:Oh, now I'm confused, going by the translations that I read. It seems like Goku just forgot their birthday, not that he wasn't there or aware.

Maybe someone can explain that to me because that is no where as bad as the anime or what I thought.
He's saying that he has no clue when Gohan and Goten were born, suggesting that he wasn't there for their births (he wasn't for Goten we know for certain). In the context of the scene, he's telling Vegeta to skip his child's birth since he never bothered to remember when they were born.

In the anime, all Goku said was that he was dead when Goten was born.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Kishido wrote:At least they explained that SSB is just a powered up SSG
They said that in the Resurrection of F movie first.
It's just continuing that canon fact.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 pm

So SSB was just a mere powerup from SSG which still isn't even enough to get Berrus to stop playing..
And there Shin was, talking about Vegetto being stonger than Berrus when Goku perfect blue didn't do half bad against Merged Zamasu either..
Sounds about right..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:So SSB was just a mere powerup from SSG which still isn't even enough to get Berrus to stop playing..
And there Shin was, talking about Vegetto being stonger than Berrus when Goku perfect blue didn't do half bad against Merged Zamasu either..
Sounds about right..
Goku and Vegeta were outmatch against Super Buu Gohan absorbed even at their max power. Vegetto with just Super Saiyan trashed that form of Super Buu. Not sure how the Super manga goes against anything here.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:So SSB was just a mere powerup from SSG which still isn't even enough to get Berrus to stop playing..
Sounds about right..
Goku and Vegeta were outmatch against Super Buu Gohan absorbed even at their max power. Vegetto with just Super Saiyan trashed that form of Super Buu. Not sure how the Super manga goes against anything here.
Was or not Merged zamasu stronger than Berrus here as well?
If he was, blue fighting somewhat on par with Merged Zamasu but still being a joke to berrus don't add up
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Sounds about right..
Was or not Merged zamasu stronger than Berrus here as well?
If he was, blue fighting somewhat on par with Merged Zamasu but still being a joke to berrus don't add up
It is not only because Beerus defeated Vegeta with relative ease, he will defeat Vegetto as well. They are totally different levels.

Goku and Vegeta together in the Boo Saga do not even win Super Boo.
With the merger, they were not even touched by Boo GOHAN.

GoD while playing was hit by Vegeta and the Saiyajin easily defended his punches. Beerus would need more power to defeat him.
So much so that the attack he used for it was serious.

SSB is only a multiplier of the normal form, it can always overcome Beerus as long as the base form of Vegeta evolves.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: Was or not Merged zamasu stronger than Berrus here as well?
Only Vegetto was stated to maybe be stronger than Beerus.
Merged Zamasu obviously wasn't, as he was getting recked by Vegetto.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

-Chapter 27-

Ok chapter.

Looks like "Goku gets a scratch from bullets" and "Goku thinks Bulma ate too much when he sees her pregnant" came from Toriyama. Both were criticized in the anime, especially the former. I wonder how those people feel now...

Vegeta vs Beerus was okay. It's good to see them fight Beerus for a change.
I like the foreshadowing of their rivalry by Oracle Fish.

Goku's portrayal during the last scene is so much better in the anime and the atmosphere is also much more tense. Beerus even threatened to hakai him.

Some people have been putting Goku's portrayal in the manga on a pedestal and while I agree Toyotaro has been doing a great job with him, he totally screw it in this one.
There was no reason to bluntly say Goku was never there for Gohan's birth and the fact this wasn't in the anime confuses me if it comes from Toriyama. This is even worse than the "Goku never kissed" bullshit. To make it worse, Vegeta of all people being the one to call out Goku, together with him mastering SSB too, just makes this entire chapter look like it was written by a Vegeta fanboy.

The only thing I'm sure is that Toriyama is okay with how they handling Goku. He's the one that came up with "Goku never kissed" and "Goku thinks Bulma ate too much when she's pregant" gags in in both versions, after all.

Anyway, definitely not the best start for the manga.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Re reading this chapter, my opinion changed a little bit,I didn't like the fight with Vegeta vs beerus,there some nice panels through & it always cool seeing the main characters strength in comparison to beerus
    I liked the conservation with the thugs & Goku & as usual Goku doing his typical thing,I prefer ep 77 take on this because I liked the tension with Goku & beerus,right here he just instantly presses it.
      Ok chapter not an amazing beginning ,the manga need to start making the fight a bit more interesting & honestly the fight with beerus felt drawn out,he could have included Goku reminding the zero about the multiversal tournament here
      Last edited by The gr on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      Mostly active on discord.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:03 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 27-

Ok chapter.

Looks like "Goku gets a scratch from bullets" and "Goku thinks Bulma ate too much when he sees her pregnant" c
      ame from Toriyama. Both were criticized in the anime, especially the former. I wonder how those people feel now...

Goku's portrayal during the last scene is so much better in the anime and the atmosphere is also much more tense. Beerus even threatened to hakai him.

Some people have been putting Goku's portrayal in the manga on a pedestal and while I agree Toyotaro has been doing a great job with him, he totally screw it in this one.
      There was no reason to bluntly say Goku was never there for Gohan's birth and the fact this wasn't in the anime confuses me if it comes from Toriyama. This is even worse than the "Goku never kissed" bullshit. To make it worse, Vegeta of all people being the one to call out Goku, together with him mastering SSB too, just makes this entire chapter look like it was written by a Vegeta fanboy.

The only thing I'm sure is that Toriyama is okay with how they handling Goku. He's the one that came up with "Goku never kissed" and "Goku thinks Bulma ate too much when she's pregant" gags in in both versions, after all.

I didn't criticized that and I kind of wondered why people did. This is dragon ball, its not that serious.

Goku did get hurt by bullets in dragon ball and vegeta took a lethal blast from Krillin after lowering his ki, what was so hard of putting 2 to 2 together.

And the Bulma joke, that something a lot people make a mistake on, the guy who thought marriage was food wouldn't? The guy who married on a 6 year old promise wouldn't?

I'm hoping this arc kills for a lot of people because its getting fucking ridiculous at this point. Dragon ball started off as a gag manga. Toriyama is a gag writer and never took this series seriously and he made it.

Why the hell does this fandom?!

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Totamo wrote:
      FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 27-

Ok chapter.

Looks like "Goku gets a scratch from bullets" and "Goku thinks Bulma ate too much when he sees her pregnant" c
      ame from Toriyama. Both were criticized in the anime, especially the former. I wonder how those people feel now...

I didn't criticized that and I kind of wondered why people did. This is dragon ball, its not that serious.

Goku did get hurt by bullets in dragon ball and vegeta took a lethal blast from Krillin after lowering his ki, what was so hard of putting 2 to 2 together.

And the Bulma joke, that something a lot people make a mistake on, the guy who thought marriage was food wouldn't? The guy who married on a 6 year old promise wouldn't?

I'm hoping this arc kills for a lot of people because its getting fucking ridiculous at this point. Dragon ball started off as a gag manga. Toriyama is a gag writer and never took this series seriously and he made it.

Why the hell does this fandom?!
      In fairness, people in real life make this mistake and know what pregnancy is.
      Kanassa wrote:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:09 pm

The gr wrote:Re reading this chapter, my opinion changed a little bit,I didn't like the fight with Vegeta vs beerus,there some nice panels through & it always cool seeing the main characters strength in comparison to beerus
        I liked the conservation with the thugs & Goku & as usual Goku doing his typical thing,I prefer ep 77 take on this because I liked the tension with Goku & beerus,right here he just instantly presses it,lastly the joke were not that funny.
          Ok chapter not an amazing beginning ,the manga need to start making the fight a bit more interesting & honestly the fight with beerus felt drawn out,he could have included Goku reminding the zero about the multiversal tournament here
          That is one thing i noticed though.

Goku doesn't sound nearly as reckless as he did in the anime, in fact he genuinely thinks that Xeno won't do naything wrong. You think Toyo would amp that part up since it seemed to be a big focus in the beginning but I don't think thats happening here.