"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The gr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:41 pm

Shaddy wrote:One good chapter won't save an entire arc. And that's assuming it would be good at all.
Lukmendes wrote:
Even if the last chapter is the most amazing thing that ever happened in dragon ball, won't really change the overall feeling that the manga is lacking in ToP.
Thirded, seriously a universal battle royale shouldn't feel this empty.
Last edited by The gr on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Alruneia wrote: I know this is a bit of a what-if, but what do you think Tori/Toyo/Toei/etc. should, or even could, have done to make the ToP more than just a long fight scene, as you put it?
Generally, I try to avoid discussing "What would you have done to make it better" because I find that to be really easy stuff. Any idiot can "fix" something since the bulk of the creative work has already been done and hindsight is 20/20. I'll avoid doing that and just say I wouldn't have had a big singular tournament.
Son-Kakaroto wrote:So ultimate gohan is as strong as kefla whos stronger then kale whos stronger then mssj blue, but gohan is somehow not stronger then mssj blue?
Tbh, I think your understanding of the manga is abysmal. You're doing that thing I accused the dragonball fandom of doing earlier where you're just looking at results instead of the context.

Have fun with this.
Last edited by TKA on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:45 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:Cover of volume 8:

Do we know if there is an interview in this volume?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Miracles wrote:
reecehoward wrote:
Miracles wrote:
The manga from a structure standpoint handled the TOP better than the anime. The way it didn't waste time on fodder but actually used them to develop the stronger characters.
Now I understa.nd why people are saying the anime's TOP is better than the manga but that is only due to emotional aspect because it has advantage with visual, visible and musical arts.
Besides, only a handful of fights were memorable from the anime's TOP and they were mostly the Goku vs Jiren special Goku vs Kefla and the last fight between them. The rest of the TOP was mediocre and bad.
How were stronger characters developed? Only Jiren and Kale were treated as legitimate threats. Out of 70 other contestants, only two were legitimate threats.lol
You didn't see how Freeza used Frost to eliminate U9? He also used Tien and Krillian as sacrifices to gain Frost trust too. This demonstrated Freeza's devious persona. Kale wasting Uni's etc...
Even Hit was better developed in the manga. Overcoming his weakness of relying on time skip and actually honing what matters in DB, battle power.
Lukmendes wrote:
Miracles wrote:
The manga from a structure standpoint handled the TOP better than the anime. The way it didn't waste time on fodder but actually used them to develop the stronger characters.
Now I understand why people are saying the anime's TOP is better than the manga but that is only due to emotional aspect because it has advantage with visual, visible and musical arts.
Besides, only a handful of fights were memorable from the anime's TOP and they were mostly the Goku vs Jiren special Goku vs Kefla and the last fight between them. The rest of the TOP was mediocre and bad.
I'm not even comparing manga ToP with anime ToP, I actualy only watched 3 episodes from it, and of those 3, one I liked, one I disliked, and the last one is so forgettable I, well, forgot about it, I just find the manga ToP boring and I don't need to have watched the (supposedly) better version to think so, manga ToP started good though.

Anyways, I don't agree about the manga using fodder to "develop" stronger characters means anything good, She-Broly elimitated a bunch of universes in a few panels, does that tell me how strong she is? No, because I have no idea how strong those guys are supposed to be, even when defeated that fused guy I wouldn't be able to tell how strong she's supposed to be since we don't know how strong he is in comparison with everyone else, however, when she was slapping Golden Freeza around and briefly overwhelmed CSSGSS Goku, that tells me how strong she is, and that happened before she went on an elimitation spree, so her defeating a bunch of fodder did nothing to develop her.
It did develop how strong Kale is cause the TOP was about attrition. When she can spar with Golden freeza and Blue Goku then go and waste other universes untied fronts, especially with the fusion of Aniliza, it demonstrates the power of the legendary SSJ. No need for long drawn out battles with fodder when you can slap them around like children.
She fought both of them well, got even stronger and went to eliminate fodder who we have no idea how strong they are, again, that tells me nothing, Aniliza included, all he did was fuse and get crushed, and since in the manga we're not shown how strong he is, the only thing that separates him from most of the other fodder she eliminated is that he has a name, only when she fought the likes of Goku and Freeza we actualy saw how strong she's supposed to be.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
Miracles wrote:
reecehoward wrote: How were stronger characters developed? Only Jiren and Kale were treated as legitimate threats. Out of 70 other contestants, only two were legitimate threats.lol
You didn't see how Freeza used Frost to eliminate U9? He also used Tien and Krillian as sacrifices to gain Frost trust too. This demonstrated Freeza's devious persona. Kale wasting Uni's etc...
Even Hit was better developed in the manga. Overcoming his weakness of relying on time skip and actually honing what matters in DB, battle power.
Lukmendes wrote:
I'm not even comparing manga ToP with anime ToP, I actualy only watched 3 episodes from it, and of those 3, one I liked, one I disliked, and the last one is so forgettable I, well, forgot about it, I just find the manga ToP boring and I don't need to have watched the (supposedly) better version to think so, manga ToP started good though.

Anyways, I don't agree about the manga using fodder to "develop" stronger characters means anything good, She-Broly elimitated a bunch of universes in a few panels, does that tell me how strong she is? No, because I have no idea how strong those guys are supposed to be, even when defeated that fused guy I wouldn't be able to tell how strong she's supposed to be since we don't know how strong he is in comparison with everyone else, however, when she was slapping Golden Freeza around and briefly overwhelmed CSSGSS Goku, that tells me how strong she is, and that happened before she went on an elimitation spree, so her defeating a bunch of fodder did nothing to develop her.
It did develop how strong Kale is cause the TOP was about attrition. When she can spar with Golden freeza and Blue Goku then go and waste other universes untied fronts, especially with the fusion of Aniliza, it demonstrates the power of the legendary SSJ. No need for long drawn out battles with fodder when you can slap them around like children.
She fought both of them well, got even stronger and went to eliminate fodder who we have no idea how strong they are, again, that tells me nothing, Aniliza included, all he did was fuse and get crushed, and since in the manga we're not shown how strong he is, the only thing that separates him from most of the other fodder she eliminated is that he has a name, only when she fought the likes of Goku and Freeza we actualy saw how strong she's supposed to be.
Let me be clear...We don't need to know how strong those other universes are because they are fodder compared to a Kale who was smacking Golden and Blue Goku around before.
Their purpose was to show that this lunatic can keep on tugging even after tussling with god level beings in Goku and Freeza.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Miracles wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
Miracles wrote: You didn't see how Freeza used Frost to eliminate U9? He also used Tien and Krillian as sacrifices to gain Frost trust too. This demonstrated Freeza's devious persona. Kale wasting Uni's etc...

Let me be clear...We don't need to know how strong those other universes are because they are fodder compared to a Kale who was smacking Golden and Blue Goku around.
Yeah, I know, I'm saying that her defeating all of them doesn't develop how strong she is since we don't know how strong they are, 'cause really, if she just eliminated the fodder without fighting Goku and Freeza, and almost eliminating Vegeta and Toppo, then got dominated by pride troopers, all that would tells us is that she's stronger than Frost, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but her fighting Goku and Freeza well tells us she's a beast and eliminating the fodder is just extra.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:20 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:Cover of volume 8:
I always have mixed feelings about these random covers. Not only about DB, but the other mangas too.
I may like them, but at the same I rather to have something related to what's happening in the story.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:00 pm

TKA wrote:
Alruneia wrote: I know this is a bit of a what-if, but what do you think Tori/Toyo/Toei/etc. should, or even could, have done to make the ToP more than just a long fight scene, as you put it?
Generally, I try to avoid discussing "What would you have done to make it better" because I find that to be really easy stuff. Any idiot can "fix" something since the bulk of the creative work has already been done and hindsight is 20/20. I'll avoid doing that and just say I wouldn't have had a big singular tournament.
Fair enough. I can see your point about fixing canon in hindsight (sometimes called "fix-fics" when done in fan fiction format). Just to be clear, my goal wasn't to call you out in some sort of "yeah well can you think of anything better" attack, I was just wondering if you had any concrete wishes or thoughts. I've already heard a fair bit of ideas for how the plot could be more than just a tournament, so I'm okay with leaving it at that if you don't feel like it. :angel:
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Miracles wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
Miracles wrote: You didn't see how Freeza used Frost to eliminate U9? He also used Tien and Krillian as sacrifices to gain Frost trust too. This demonstrated Freeza's devious persona. Kale wasting Uni's etc...

Let me be clear...We don't need to know how strong those other universes are because they are fodder compared to a Kale who was smacking Golden and Blue Goku around before.
Their purpose was to show that this lunatic can keep on tugging even after tussling with god level beings in Goku and Freeza.
Oh lord, not the "they are fodder" argument.lol Why make them fodder in the first place?! All of these fighters didnt have to be thrown away like they were. And Kale just steam rolling through fodder does nothing because literally anybody in her tier could do so and probably come out better than she did. To make matters worse is they show this same Kale being dominated by the Pride Troopers that were actually established in the power rankings earlier in the tournament. So this tournament only produced like 3 worthwhile opponents; Jiren, Kale/Kefla, and Hit. Hit was the only one who did something mildly interestimg out of the 3 and even THAT was a watered down version of what he did in the anime, which was even less effective as it only slows an opponent down.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm

reecehoward wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
Oh lord, not the "they are fodder" argument.lol Why make them fodder in the first place?! All of these fighters didnt have to be thrown away like they were. And Kale just steam rolling through fodder does nothing because literally anybody in her tier could do so and probably come out better than she did. To make matters worse is they show this same Kale being dominated by the Pride Troopers that were actually established in the power rankings earlier in the tournament. So this tournament only produced like 3 worthwhile opponents; Jiren, Kale/Kefla, and Hit. Hit was the only one who did something mildly interestimg out of the 3 and even THAT was a watered down version of what he did in the anime, which was even less effective as it only slows an opponent down.
Compared to a person who was rag dolling golden Freeza and Blue Goku...They are fodder.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Alruneia wrote: Fair enough. I can see your point about fixing canon in hindsight (sometimes called "fix-fics" when done in fan fiction format). Just to be clear, my goal wasn't to call you out in some sort of "yeah well can you think of anything better" attack, I was just wondering if you had any concrete wishes or thoughts. I've already heard a fair bit of ideas for how the plot could be more than just a tournament, so I'm okay with leaving it at that if you don't feel like it. :angel:
Sorry if it came off like I was being rude or curt. I just don't like the idea of proposing "fixes".

The only way to really make this arc more than just a long fight scene is to have some sort of B-plot going. Toyotaro did the best he could by having the fighting interspersed with a lot of character bits, but that's really not enough to make something truly compelling, I feel. I said it many pages ago, but this is him trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm

While I’ve enjoyed the Tournament of Power infinitely more in the manga than the anime, I’m glad it’s coming to an end. It is easily one of the worst story arcs Dragon Ball has ever had the displeasure of having, if not the worst. Never has an arc in this series been so devoid of substance. All three of the original series’ major tournament arcs told stories with substantial arcs and themes. The Universe Survival arc has been derivative at best and meaningless at worst.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:54 pm

I’m also happy this arc is coming to an end here in the manga and it’s not gonna stop as the anime did with a meaningless ending. T.o.P was too long in the anime , I won’t rewatch it never ever , I enjoyed some visual aspects but that’s all about it , manga top will be worthed to reread and I’m sure will have more sense putting all together in a 40 min reading .
If ultra instinct technique was the main dish of this arc , definitely manga did it better and coherent.
I’m not a fan of compare both mediums, but I’m kind of tired of those who come here to just say “manga is trash and anime is better”, And their wish is to trash the manga to put his anime in a better position, that’s garbage , I want both mediums to be nice , clearly this last arc didn’t make it neither in the manga or the anime.
Tournament arcs in super are a failure to me , they don’t lead the story to nothing(for now), just to introduce Zeno in tournament u6 arc and u.i in t.o.p arc . I know this is dragon ball , don’t expect deep inside thematic and progression of the story, there’s no goal , so just enjoy the reading or watching
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Does anyone believe the events of the Broly film will be covered in the manga?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:20 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Does anyone believe the events of the Broly film will be covered in the manga?
Yes. They're not gonna let Toyotaro go on an extended break and they're not gonna let the film go by without a manga adaption, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:16 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Does anyone believe the events of the Broly film will be covered in the manga?
Didnt they already say it would?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:58 am

I'm personally just glad this arc is going to be over.

I haven't really been fond of its handling in either adaptation.

I think Toyo will definitely have a tough time following up Broly, though that could just be based on my expectations for the film being really high, which is actually warranted considering what we know about the extremely liberal creative enviroment around it.

Either way, Toyo is really going to need to get himself together to attempt to match the films effort I feel...

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:31 am

PFM18 wrote:
Not officially. But everything points to it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:45 am

ankokudaishogun wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Not officially. But everything points to it.
I'm pretty sure they already said Toyotaro would be doing a manga version of the events.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:I'm pretty sure they already said Toyotaro would be doing a manga version of the events.
I have no idea why people can't reach this conclusion. It's pretty obvious Toyotarou is just gonna continue what he's doing, there doesn't even need to be a confirmation.