"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

My thing is it's fine to find him stale, bland, uninteresting, boring as fuck. But I don't see how anime Jiren doesn't have a personality, nor how manga Jiren from one page (that doesn't even really show much) is indication of manga Jiren having more personality either.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with anime Jiren and it is just that many of you don't like someone who doesn't speak a lot.
except its not. Look at the panel. The full body shot doesn't have him speak at all but he is still able to emote without a single word. That's the point people are making. Even when he isn't speaking he visually seems to have more physical expression.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with anime Jiren and it is just that many of you don't like someone who doesn't speak a lot.
You can't exactly do much or relate to someone who doesn't talk.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

TheMikado wrote:
except its not. Look at the panel. The full body shot doesn't have him speak at all but he is still able to emote without a single word. That's the point people are making. Even when he isn't speaking he visually seems to have more physical expression.
In the anime they probably gave him the same expression to save time and $$$.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
how does that even make sense lol
Feels over Reals.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm

RedHeat wrote:
sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
how does that even make sense lol
exactly, his design is incredibly simple from an animation perspective. Even in the still shot simple changing the mouth shape from a downward frown to an oval occasionally with a significant widening or slanting of the eyes occasionally would go a long way. Like I said a simple change in the head posture would help too. These are all minor and the idea of keep costs down to that extent on your main antagonist is unbelievable.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Geez, Toyo's Jiren is butt fugly. He just looks so goddamn off. As a matter of fact that whole page is freakin' terrible. But hey, those downtime chapters aren't where I expect the effort to go in anyway, so it's cool.

Really hope we're not getting Superman Jiren. That would suck balls, but with how Marcarita and Belmond are already inspired by Joker and Harley, it seems very possible. Bleh...
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Interesting that they gave Khaseral's moment from the anime (I don't have time to worry about the fate of the universe when JUSTICE IS ON THE LINE) to Jiren. On the one hand, props for giving it to a more important character and establishing motivation. On the other hand, it does spoil the mystery to show him just working the nine to five. I like the idea of Jiren being some sort of secret weapon that the Pride Trooper break out when they need their moral code to take a jump.

Also, Khaseral refusing to take Toppo's call while trying to rescue a cat from a tree in the anime was a much funnier scene. I like the Pride Troopers played for comedy, while the manga has chosen to play them serious. It's a nice gesture, but ultimately wasted given that they haven't leaned into the idea of Goku being villainous the way the show initially tried to. At least a couple of them might last longer in the tournament this way.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Ugh what is it this time,jiren has no personality meme again :problem: .I'm liking what i'm seeing so far but the art look ugly in the leak then again these are the downtime chapter so i can't complain,save the A game for the TOP.
Mostly active on discord.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm

The full chapter is out but not in Japanese nor English: https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... 0-complet/

There’s a certain someone that looks like Ryanshinron... I think they already have their entire team execpt No. 17 and Gokuh is heading towards him. That’s what I believe is what’s happening since I see the number 17 in speech bubbles. Boo is selected but Gokuh will probably be told by Mr. Satan that he is asleep like he did in the anime. Then, they go get Freeza. I think we might see Gokuh challenging his teammates depending on what was said this chapter. Can’t wait until it gets translated

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:00 pm

It loks like the next chapter will end with everyone getting ready to go to the tournament and Freeza being there.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Very interesting chapter, I'm liking that Jiren has more lines in the manga and we see Belmod recruiting him. He does remind me of Superman, especially his dialogue here. Mannerisms, probably not so much to a degree. Marcarita definitely looks like Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn in most panels. Belmod's characterization here is making him my favorite Hakaishin bar none.

Also, does anyone else like Vegeta's casual attire here? It's so simple, yet nice to see.
Last edited by mfwlegend3 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Oh that's so cool. A device that turns bad guys into small pills. Just don't swallow or prescribe it to anyone :lol:

Also Jiren may be....may just....have a shred...a tiny shred of being even remotely interesting? Perhaps? Instead of like the most boring thing ever.

And was Gohan even thought of? He doesn't even have one of those bubble things when they were selecting people. Oh don't tell me he was not even considered. But I'll wait for translations.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:12 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:And was Gohan even thought of?
We know 17 and 18 were considered. My guess is Buu won't be able to do it because, surprise, he falls asleep, so Goku goes for Gohan. That's like.... damn.

Edit: Actually, Buu being asleep is what makes Goku have the idea of bringing in Freeza. It's a shame Gohan wasn't immediately considered, if that's indeed what happened, but yeah, waiting for translations is the best thing to do.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:21 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:And was Gohan even thought of?
We know 17 and 18 were considered. My guess is Buu won't be able to do it because, surprise, he falls asleep, so Goku goes for Gohan. That's like.... damn.

Edit: Actually, Buu being asleep is what makes Goku have the idea of bringing in Freeza. It's a shame Gohan wasn't immediately considered, if that's indeed what happened, but yeah, waiting for translations is the best thing to do.
No. 17 & No. 18 were considered like you said. The current line-up: Gokuh, Vegeta, Kulilin, Boo, Tenshinhan, Kame-Sennin, Piccolo, No. 17, and No. 18. That’s nine. Gohan will probably will be chosen before Freeza is even considered

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 pm

sintzu wrote:It loks like the next chapter will end with everyone getting ready to go to the tournament and Freeza being there.
I seen the leaks and nothing is indicating the entire team is recruited yet,he is not going to jump to the TOP,he also need to show kale,caulifla,freeza and #17 so is going to take a while.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:39 pm

The gr wrote:I seen the leaks and nothing is indicating the entire team is recruited yet,he is not going to jump to the TOP,he also need to show kale,caulifla,freeza and #17 so is going to take a while.
I doubt he'll ttake as much time as the anime did. At the very most he'll end things with Goku bringing up Freeza but not before.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm

sintzu wrote: I doubt he'll ttake as much time as the anime did. At the very most he'll end things with Goku bringing up Freeza but not before.
Still he won't just jump ahead to the tournament like that,there no way he will include back tingles,the rest of team u7,#17,freeza being revived,some of the other universe all in 1 chapter,he will take his time which is a better choice then jumping ahead.
    I like this shot of the pride troopers [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]There are 9 pride trooper shown in this chapter with kettol being absent.
    Last edited by The gr on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedHeat
    Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 pm

I'm having strange Pokemon deja-vu.
    Feels over Reals.

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Vermoud: If you win you might just get your wish granted!

Toppo: BE.. BERUMODDO-SAMA!!!

Zoy-whatever, forgot his name: Vermoud-sama came all the way here...!
    Kunshee: This must be something extremely important!

Vermoud: What do you say? You're gonna participate, fight?

Toppo: Oi, Jiren! It's Vermoud-sama's direct wish!

Jiren: If any problem occurs in Universe 11 I'll come back at once! That's the condition!

Toppo: Ok... Understood!

--

Anyone thinks that Jiren might win the ToP and wish for all erased Universes to be revived?