"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote: At least the anime version of this arc focused on other background characters like the Resistance and Maki/Haru (with how they interact with Trunks and Mai), y' know background characters that you usually don't give a shit about but this arc did as they carried emotional weight to the story. The anime actually succeeded in making me care for these characters. The manga though, everyone on the Earth except Trunks/Mai are already killed by Black and they weren't even in the manga. There's none of that emotional investment.
To be fair, I doubt most people even remember who those two kids are. They're just sorta...there for a bit. Even less likely they'd remember their names. I sure didn't. I just barely remember them as...those kids I didn't care about seeing.
What made me actually care for those kids was how they interact with our main characters especially Trunks and Mai and how they (not just the kids, but the survivors as well) devoted they are to Trunks/Mai's cause to save their world. It was a genuinely touching moment when Haru/Maki came to Mai's comfort whenever she felt stressed implying that Mai and the Resistance saved those orphans. They may be random civilians, I'd say they received pretty good character development.
I'd disagree. They're the equivalent of Jojo having pets and innocent animals killed to get cheap heat on a villain, rather than just making more interesting villains rather than just a handful of em per arc. Which is why the trope is constantly done over and over again. In this case, it's basically trying to get cheap sympathy. How much do we really know about them? I mean even just a little bit? Beyond their names, which I can't remember, I don't know anything even simple about them. So they feel like empty vessels to me at least. It just feels like they're kids, and we should feel for them because they're kids...and that's it. What bond does Trunks have with them? They're kids...they need help....that's about it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am

By the way, how can Future Beerus fix things up in the new Future Trunks timeline if Kaioshin died against Dabura in the manga? Does Trunks actually time travel to before the fight with Dabura to help his other self?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 am

emperior wrote:By the way, how can Future Beerus fix things up in the new Future Trunks timeline if Kaioshin died against Dabura in the manga? Does Trunks actually time travel to before the fight with Dabura to help his other self?
Didn't future Beerus die in the anime too? I think all Gods were gone. Anyway, maybe he can handle Black before letting him grow with Zenkais. Or maybe, like you said, he may have gone to the point where Beerus was alive.

I think the translated version is coming tomorrow.
Heno heno kappa!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 am

I loved Mai trolling Pilaf haha.
Pilaf: Ma... MAI! one last thing before you go!
Mai: ...oooh... right... in this timeline you dont know yet dont you... for that to happen to master Pilaf....
Pilaf: What? what the heck happened? WAIT MAI!
Mai: Take care of yourself as well Master Pilaf... goodbye.
Pilaf: W...what the hell happens to my future....

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I loved Mai trolling Pilaf haha.
Mai: ...oooh... right... in this timeline you dont know yet dont you... for that to happen to master Pilaf....

atleast they have future mai acknowledge pilaf unlike the anime.

Hell they never even explained when they used the dragonballs to wish to be young again i don't think? Unless it was in the BOG movie?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 am

jplaya2023 wrote:Hell they never even explained when they used the dragonballs to wish to be young again i don't think? Unless it was in the BOG movie?
It was mentioned as having occurred previously/off-screen in Battle of Gods, but it was never addressed in the Dragon Ball Super television series. Toyotaro's bonus chapter from the Jump Victory Carnival 2016 attendee guidebook explains how it all went down.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am

i need to read thescanlation for full context but from the scans it does not seem to have much drama like the anime had ending wise.

I really did wish toto would use gogeta in this chapter who fuses defeats all zamazus and defuses when he's about to soul punish the original only for goku to use the zeno button as zamazu envelops the entire timeline as well as the current timeline as well.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am

jplaya2023 wrote:
I really did wish toto would use gogeta in this chapter who fuses defeats all zamazus and defuses when he's about to soul punish the original only for goku to use the zeno button as zamazu envelops the entire timeline as well as the current timeline as well.
People need to get over this "Gogeta" thing. Functionally, he's the same as Vegito. I'd totally get it if he has a different persoanlity, but in his two appearances he has wildly different characterization. I'd also get it if he had a drastic difference in appearance... But he doesnt when not in the super saiyan 4 incarnation. Its just pointless fanservice.

Diegetically, it can't happen because the fusion dance takes a long time to perfect since you have to synchronise so many details. Goku and Vegeta never practiced it, so it isnt something that can just do willy-nilly, regardless of what happened in GT. There are other minor quibbles like Goku and Vegeta not even being close to the same height as well. Part of the reason Potara fusion is better is you can fuse with someone that's completely unlike you.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 am

TKA wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:
People need to get over this "Gogeta" thing. Functionally, he's the same as Vegito. I'd totally get it if he has a different persoanlity, but in his two appearances he has wildly different characterization. I'd also get it if he had a drastic difference in appearance... But he doesnt when not in the super saiyan 4 incarnation. Its just pointless fanservice.

Diegetically, it can't happen because the fusion dance takes a long time to perfect since you have to synchronise so many details. Goku and Vegeta never practiced it, so it isnt something that can just do willy-nilly, regardless of what happened in GT. There are other minor quibbles like Goku and Vegeta not even being close to the same height as well. Part of the reason Potara fusion is better is you can fuse with someone that's completely unlike you.
I always rationalized the height issue could just have had to factor in if the fusees couldn't phsyically touch each other's fingers while in the poses (you know, like a child and an adult, both of average height).

But yes, the evident narrative obstacle most of the fandom gleefully overlooks would have been Vegeta getting the hang of the dance; it's even more comical a proposal when you reflect on the fact that Zamas would have likely defused much sooner, lest Vegeta learned the steps in thirty minutes or so.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 pm

emperior wrote:By the way, how can Future Beerus fix things up in the new Future Trunks timeline if Kaioshin died against Dabura in the manga? Does Trunks actually time travel to before the fight with Dabura to help his other self?
Yep, they're going back to before Babidi and Dabura arrive.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 pm

The chapter was translated?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
The chapter was translated?
I think he knows Japanese.
OLKv3 wrote:
LightBing wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Why is Trunks not healing Mai?
Why can Kibito easily heal everyone to full strength while Trunks can only heal one SSB up to full strength?
The Trunks healing is poorly thought out..
They explained it's related to energy. Kibito probably can only heal one SSJB, maybe even less than Trunks. Actually didn't Kibito took a while to heal Gohan in the Boo Arc?
In this very chapter, Kibito heals Goku, Trunks, Mai, and Vegeta back to back, all to full strength
All he'd need to do is bring them up to their base levels and they'd be functional, just like Polunga not fully restoring Vegeta's power, despite reviving him with no damage.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Okay, so I've seen the majority of the chapter now, and...

Is it just me, or is this simultaneously the ugliest and prettiest chapter of this manga all at the same time? There are many panels with the infamous disjointed look of Toyotaro's more hasty portrayals of movement, but there are also some of the absolute best character drawings he's ever done. Considering the visuals are the only thing worth commenting on here, this might be the chapter I'm most torn on.
Retired.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Is there a reason why Gohan's completely avoided? That's one of my disappointments of the manga. The rest is golden. :D

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Is there a reason why Gohan's completely avoided? That's one of my disappointments of the manga. The rest is golden. :D
Gohan had nothing to do with this arc. Even in the anime version, he was just kinda haphazardly inserted into places where it was convenient.

As much as I think a relationship between Present Gohan and Future Trunks could be interesting, the time for that was over 20 years ago, when the Artificial Human arc was still going. Since Toriyama didn't take the opportunity to develop that relationship, Gohan didn't need to be inserted now. It's kind of like the reverse of inserting Jabba into A New Hope, he just doesn't belong.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Gohan's insertion in the anime is by default bad when they went out of their way to have him get pissed that nobody told him anything and then just forgot about him until the very end of 67.

There's no way you can rationalize Gohan being pissed at being kept out of the loop and not even being asked to help in any way and then NOT have him do anything as though he's still oblivious to whats going on with Trunks. Toei superficially give him more screen time but it didn't do him any good if you ask me unless screen time for the sake of itself is your beginning, middle and end for good character usage.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Is there a reason why Gohan's completely avoided? That's one of my disappointments of the manga. The rest is golden. :D
Gohan had nothing to do with this arc. Even in the anime version, he was just kinda haphazardly inserted into places where it was convenient.

As much as I think a relationship between Present Gohan and Future Trunks could be interesting, the time for that was over 20 years ago, when the Artificial Human arc was still going. Since Toriyama didn't take the opportunity to develop that relationship, Gohan didn't need to be inserted now. It's kind of the reverse of inserting Jabba into A New Hope, he just doesn't belong.
But shouldn't he at least made an appearance to send off Trunks before he departed again? It's not like Gohan to miss something like this, he's important and It would've had little closure just to give him a wave or something, similar to the anime version.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:47 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:But shouldn't he at least made an appearance to send off Trunks before he departed again? It's not like Gohan to miss something like this, he's important and It would've had little closure just to give him a wave or something, similar to the anime version.
Why should he? Gohan and Future Trunks have absolutely no relationship, and they never have.

And no, Gohan isn't important, and he won't be again until the manga reaches the ToP.
Retired.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:But shouldn't he at least made an appearance to send off Trunks before he departed again? It's not like Gohan to miss something like this, he's important and It would've had little closure just to give him a wave or something, similar to the anime version.
Why should he? Gohan and Future Trunks have absolutely no relationship, and they never have.

And no, Gohan isn't important, and he won't be again until the manga reaches the ToP.
And even then outside the build up, he's had no importance besides babysitting in the TOP. I'm sure they'll do something with him, but damn so far nothing and it looks like nothing for a couple weeks at least.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say they have no relationship. They've interacted a few a times In the anime. Noncanon movies too.