"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

TheMikado wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
TheMikado wrote: I haven't read it yet but so far I absolutely love what I'm hearing. THIS IS CLASSIC TORIYAMA.

This is Raditz saying after Goku died and Piccolo barely survives that two more saiyans more powerful than him are on their way to Earth.
This is Frieza powering up and revealing he has even more transformations and they can't even tackle the current form.
This is the androids breaking SSJ Vegeta's arm and then Cell reveals he will not only stronger but not even perfect yet.
This is Fat Buu kicking Vegeta around and then absorbing Characters to get even stronger.

Basically this is Goku and the audience realizing the character is in A LOT of SH*T!!! And no idea how he's going to pull off tackling Jiren who is reportedly even stronger than a proper God of Destruction. Could Goku pull of KK? We have no idea. Will he find some other means to attempt to keep pace?? No idea. That's the feeling I want to feel! I want to feel like they are in over their heads and hyped because whatever happens next they need to take it to crazy odds just to try to scrap by and overcome it. I don't want Goku doing the same trick he's been doing but stacking a higher number on it! I want him to dread the encounter and get creative and come up with something new to overcome it! I'm totally hype for this!
Well.. this is the first time I've seen a comment from you thats this hyped, and you even used the words "absolutely love" that was quite the jump.
Not at all. I love the manga, it's the only reason I still follow Dragonball. I hate the manga. The difference between how these two scenes played out is the main reason...

We have Buu and the Trio basically crazy hyped up during the exhibition match
Buu doesn't even make it to the tournament and the Trio were the first universe out...
Goku pretty much has the edge on Toppo without seeming to struggle too much and we know Goku still has KKx10 in his back pocket so its hard to get hype when Jiren could be casually twice and strong as Toppo and Goku can still go 5x stronger than that at will.
Here Goku pulled out his biggest, strongest attacks that we know of so far and still got soundly beaten by someone who isn't even the strongest. You immediately get the sense that Goku and crew in in way over their heads as opposed to Goku walking into the tournament as likely the strongest thing around with SSBxKKx10 yet to be brought out.
You mean the anime?

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

So Toppo > Merged Zamas. I like it

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

TheMikado wrote: Not at all. I love the manga, it's the only reason I still follow Dragonball. I hate the manga. The difference between how these two scenes played out is the main reason...

Buu doesn't even make it to the tournament and the Trio were the first universe out...
Goku pretty much has the edge on Toppo without seeming to struggle too much and we know Goku still has KKx10 in his back pocket so its hard to get hype when Jiren could be casually twice and strong as Toppo and Goku can still go 5x stronger than that at will.
Here Goku pulled out his biggest, strongest attacks that we know of so far and still got soundly beaten by someone who isn't even the strongest. You immediately get the sense that Goku and crew in in way over their heads as opposed to Goku walking into the tournament as likely the strongest thing around with SSBxKKx10 yet to be brought out.
You confused me with the "I love the manga, I'ts the only reason I still follow Dragonball. I hate the manga" thing until I read the whole post.

Yeah indeed, in the anime even after Toppo said there's a being stronger than him called Jiren, you'd still think "so? you couldnt even touch him! at best that guy would probably be just around SSJBKKx10 right!? Goku's got this in the bag"
but the manga goes "Wait.. so MSSJB couldnt do the job? the one that was going toe to toe with Merged Zamasu? and to make matters worse theres another guy thats stronger than him? well.. Goku... you fucked up.."
only problem is EoZ we know they're alive but still, the manga's playing itself better than I thought it would be, I love both setups but the manga's a little more fun, the GoDs having that kind of battle with those bruises just adds a cherry on top.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

SirTorra wrote:So Toppo > Merged Zamas. I like it
Manga Vegito Blue again to fight Jiren, pls toyo

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
You mean plz Toriyama.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
TheMikado wrote: Not at all. I love the manga, it's the only reason I still follow Dragonball. I hate the manga. The difference between how these two scenes played out is the main reason...

You confused me with the "I love the manga, I'ts the only reason I still follow Dragonball. I hate the manga" thing until I read the whole post.

Yeah indeed, in the anime even after Toppo said there's a being stronger than him called Jiren, you'd still think "so? you couldnt even touch him! at best that guy would probably be just around SSJBKKx10 right!? Goku's got this in the bag"
but the manga goes "Wait.. so MSSJB couldnt do the job? the one that was going toe to toe with Merged Zamasu? and to make matters worse theres another guy thats stronger than him? well.. Goku... you fucked up.."
only problem is EoZ we know they're alive but still, the manga's playing itself better than I thought it would be, I love both setups but the manga's a little more fun, the GoDs having that kind of battle with those bruises just adds a cherry on top.
I like that the differing approaches have differing builds. Like here, you know right from the outset Jiren is a super serious deal (and maybe a little spoiled since the anime already had him fight) so Goku has a good idea of the stakes right off the bat where the anime teases you with glimpses of Jiren's power and you start to wonder if Toppo might have overhyped him, but then he moves into action and it hits you like a bombshell.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
You mean plz Toriyama.
Toyotaro adds his own ideas to the story too.
supersaiyan1993 wrote:so a mastered ssb is weaker than toppo. guess now is the perfect time to introduce kaioken in the manga.
That's assuming that Goku uses only mastered SSB after the Zamasu story, which I kind of doubt
Last edited by mute_proxy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
The different here is that the anime obviously wanted to hide how strong Jiren truly was and the audience think, 'oh well, Goku can handled Toppo, how bad can this guy be'. So when Jiren kicked the shit out of Kaioken x20 Blue Goku wit the Spirit Bomb, it comes as a complete shock, especially if you never read the spoilers. The anime also left it vague with the whole, "there is a mortal that a God of Destruction cannot defeat and this god is stronger than Beerus", while the manga just straight up told us that Jiren is stronger than U11's God of Destruction.

Yeah, the manga is more 'tense' in the sense of, how can Goku and the others overcome this, while the anime gave us the 'U7 will be fine since Goku got this along with the Kaioken', only to find out 'nope'. They both worked in different ways and which one you like better is really preference. It should also be noted that the manga has no reason to hide how strong Jiren was unlike the anime since it's so far behind that there is no surprised factor, which is the same reason Black's true identity was unloaded in one info dumped chapter compared to the anime.
Last edited by HeroR on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm

supersaiyan1993 wrote:so a mastered ssb is weaker than toppo. guess now is the perfect time to introduce kaioken in the manga.
I'm not sure about that.

Actually, now that the SSB is dominated and does not waste so much energy, it would be possible to combine it with the Kaioken.

But as in the anime, this would create an abyss of difference between Goku and Vegeta. And we know that Vegeta would never learn the Kaioken, so that difference of power would not be overcome by the prince of the Saiyans.

In manga, at least he's on the same level as his rival, and that's good.
Even if Goku surpasses him, Vegeta reaches him again

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
I'm not sure about that.

Actually, now that the SSB is dominated and does not waste so much energy, it would be possible to combine it with the Kaioken.

But as in the anime, this would create an abyss of difference between Goku and Vegeta. And we know that Vegeta would never learn the Kaioken, so that difference of power would not be overcome by the prince of the Saiyans.

In manga, at least he's on the same level as his rival, and that's good.
Even if Goku surpasses him, Vegeta reaches him again
Even if Goku does pull out Kaioken here it'll just be surpassed by Ultra Instinct in short order.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:04 pm

HeroR wrote: The different here is that the anime obviously wanted to hide how strong Jiren truly was and the audience think, 'oh well, Goku can handled Toppo, how bad can this guy be'. So when Jiren kicked the shit out of Kaioken x20 Blue Goku wit the Spirit Bomb, it comes as a complete shock, especially if you never read the spoilers. The anime also left it vague with the whole, "there is a mortal that a God of Destruction cannot defeat and this god is stronger than Beerus", while the manga just straight up told us that Jiren is stronger than U11's God of Destruction.

Yeah, the manga is more 'tense' in the sense of, how can Goku and the others overcome this, while the anime gave us the 'U7 will be fine since Goku got this along with the Kaioken', only to find out 'nope'. They both worked in different ways and which one you like better is really preference. It should also be noted that the manga has no reason to hide how strong Jiren was unlike the anime since it's so far behind that there is no surprised factor, which is the same reason Black's true identity was unloaded in one info dumped chapter compared to the anime.
BlueBasilisk wrote: I like that the differing approaches have differing builds. Like here, you know right from the outset Jiren is a super serious deal (and maybe a little spoiled since the anime already had him fight) so Goku has a good idea of the stakes right off the bat where the anime teases you with glimpses of Jiren's power and you start to wonder if Toppo might have overhyped him, but then he moves into action and it hits you like a bombshell.
Yeah, in the anime its like "We bout to see a great match!" but soon after you see Jiren stopping those SSJG fists with his fingers is the moment where things go south like "... whats going on..." steps on his back "ayt... this aint a match.. this is a damn one sided beatdown, Toppo... this is more than your gray friend being stronger than you"and after Goku getting his ass whooped the whole atmosphere gives you a different kind of "excitement" while in the manga you'll already expect those things to happen, just that you'll experience them from the get go. I really like how both of them are putting different scenarios taking full advantage on bare bone outlines that are both fun to read/watch, literally like a roller coaster.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Yeah, in the anime its like "We bout to see a great match!" but soon after you see Jiren stopping those SSJG fists with his fingers is the moment where things go south like "... whats going on..." steps on his back "ayt... this aint a match.. this is a damn one sided beatdown, Toppo... this is more than your gray friend being stronger than you"and after Goku getting his ass whooped the whole atmosphere gives you a different kind of "excitement" while in the manga you'll already expect those things to happen, just that you'll experience them from the get go. I really like how both of them are putting different scenarios taking full advantage on bare bone outlines that are both fun to read/watch, literally like a roller coaster.
I likened it to a RPG. You fight what people called a supposedly hard boss without trying, do well, and you think 'well, that was lackluster'. Then the game builds up another character who is better and you roll your eyes since you fought the supposed other strong boss easily. You then cruised along, stomping the other bosses in the game with little trouble and almost no grinding, you then reached the hyped up boss, and find out.....you're severely under-level and over your head.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Not necessarily, even Zamasu was stronger than MssjB Goku.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Toppo being stronger than Goku means only one thing: Manga Jiren's going to be stronger than Anime Jiren. Awesome.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:Toppo being stronger than Goku means only one thing: Manga Jiren's going to be stronger than Anime Jiren. Awesome.
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.
:clap:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Holy.......NICE KICK TOPPO!!!

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
Not necessarily, even Zamasu was stronger than MssjB Goku.
Just barely, Goku and Zamasu had a great battle but in this chapter Toppo one shots Goku. Unless Goku is one shotted because of something like overconfidence, Toppo is well above M Zamasu.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm

People asking for Kaioken in the manga are out-of-touch with Toyotarõ view for the manga. He gives importance to the rivalry between Goku and Vegeta, the first chapter of this arc focus on Vegeta catching up. Besides all the logic and power-scaling problems Kaioken brings which Toyotarõ tries his best to avoid.
His direction isn't even subtle, it's right in our faces. :|

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm

I don't think I will ever tire of seeing Toppo dick kicking Super Saiyan Blue Goku Vegeta style. It's the most spontaneously hilarious awesome moment that Toyotaro has produced so far with the manga.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't think I will ever tire of seeing Toppo dick kicking Super Saiyan Blue Goku Vegeta style. It's the most spontaneously hilarious awesome moment that Toyotaro has produced so far with the manga.
That's not his dick, that's his stomach.