"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:57 am

IM21 wrote:
Liquir wrote:Image

Didn't someone mention way back that the manga supposedly will have 8 Volumes? Does that mean it will finish the TOP arc in the November issue of Vjump? Or did they change the number of volumes that will be published?
It was never confirmed it will end in 8 volumes, only some speculations based on god knows what. The only way they end it in 8 volumes is that they make volume 8 a 300+ page manga, which most likely won't happen.
It's been a while since I last heard that theory, but I believe it was based on the image that's printed along the spines of the volumes. I remember seeing a graphic someone made estimating how many volumes it would take to complete the image based on the size of the first couple volumes.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:22 pm

TKA wrote:
reecehoward wrote:Anything that isn't just a flurry of generic punches, kicks, and throws.
I'd say this is probably the best pure fight in all of the Super mangas, animes and movies.

I was talking about the ToP, not the manga as a whole. THAT fight is illustrated very well, I'd be biased as hell to disagree.
kemuri07 wrote:
TKA wrote:
reecehoward wrote:Anything that isn't just a flurry of generic punches, kicks, and throws.
I'd say this is probably the best pure fight in all of the Super mangas, animes and movies.

I absolutely love this fight and it's one of the main reasons that I favor the manga. It's tense and it's brutal.

As opposed to the anime in which "Oh boy, we get to see Zamasu firin up his lazers while he tells the Saiyans how they're fools to fight against a god and--zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
:roll: Here we go with the anime vs manga.lol There was nothing wrong with the visuals of either version of the fight. The anime legit had symbolism going on the entire time Zamasu was "firing his lazers", which actually developed his character a great deal for that portrayal. He literally never touched the ground and loathed the idea of fighting them h2h as he saw them as beneath his godly status. This was pretty well illustrated by all pf his over the top "LaZeRS" and all of the angles he was drawn in before losing his halo. It's not meant to be "BrUtAL" as that goes against the entire point of his anime counterpart's character, it was meant to be elegant and pretentious. To just say it in the way you put it wreaks of bias.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 pm

reecehoward wrote:
TKA wrote:

I was talking about the ToP, not the manga as a whole. THAT fight is illustrated very well, I'd be biased as hell to disagree.
kemuri07 wrote:
TKA wrote:

I absolutely love this fight and it's one of the main reasons that I favor the manga. It's tense and it's brutal.

As opposed to the anime in which "Oh boy, we get to see Zamasu firin up his lazers while he tells the Saiyans how they're fools to fight against a god and--zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
:roll: Here we go with the anime vs manga.lol There was nothing wrong with the visuals of either version of the fight. The anime legit had symbolism going on the entire time Zamasu was "firing his lazers", which actually developed his character a great deal for that portrayal. He literally never touched the ground and loathed the idea of fighting them h2h as he saw them as beneath his godly status. This was pretty well illustrated by all pf his over the top "LaZeRS" and all of the angles he was drawn in before losing his halo. It's not meant to be "BrUtAL" as that goes against the entire point of his anime counterpart's character, it was meant to be elegant and pretentious. To just say it in the way you put it wreaks of bias.
Goku vs. Merged Zamasu is easily Toyo's best work. I don't see anyone every say otherwise unless they're really bias.

That said, nothing in the TOP even touches this. Hell, everything in the TOP is inferior to even the God of Destruction royal. Gods of Destruction get cool flashy moves, but no one in the tournament done anything unique also of Roshi. It's just been dull.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm

TKA wrote:

This is one of the best fights in both mediums of Super.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 pm

reecehoward wrote: I was talking about the ToP, not the manga as a whole. THAT fight is illustrated very well, I'd be biased as hell to disagree.
Well if it's just this arc, then that's obvious. There isn't a singular enemy that everyone is fighting against and there are no one-on-one fights, so there aren't any real dramatic, all out brawls. I expect that to happen now that it's just Universe 7 vs Jiren.

The only other point in this arc where we could've had such a spectacle would've been Gohan vs Kafla, but Toyotaro didn't do a good job at all with that particular plot point.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 pm

TKA wrote:
reecehoward wrote: I was talking about the ToP, not the manga as a whole. THAT fight is illustrated very well, I'd be biased as hell to disagree.
Well if it's just this arc, then that's obvious. There isn't a singular enemy that everyone is fighting against and there are no one-on-one fights, so there aren't any real dramatic, all out brawls. I expect that to happen now that it's just Universe 7 vs Jiren.

The only other point in this arc where we could've had such a spectacle would've been Gohan vs Kafla, but Toyotaro didn't do a good job at all with that particular plot point.
Even if it's no singular enemy, that shouldn't stop special moves and attacks from being used. What could have been cooler than seeing Frost trying to bully some participants and suddenly a Special Beam cannon comes from nowhere, grazing his shoulder with a shot of Piccolo smiling as a nod to the U6 tournament? Is something, a quick but dynamic moment like that so hard to convey? Or how about Tien trying the solar flare on a group of opponents only to find that one opponent can absorb solar energy to power up? Simple shit that could have been quick, one and done moments, while still making use of the characters available. I'm not asking for much, just that fighters can do something other than punch and kick. This is supposed to be a tournament of the best in the multiverse and I have yet to get that feeling.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 pm

reecehoward wrote: Even if it's no singular enemy, that shouldn't stop special moves and attacks from being used.
People have been using special moves all tournament though. I don't think that's what you really want. Moves are meaningless unless they have a real connection to the plot. The Final Flash is remembered because of what it led to and what it represented. Vegeta's "Final Explosion" is remembered for the same reasons. As is his Galick Gun. Nobody remembers that time he used the Galick Gun against Frieza because it was pointless. Nobody remembers that time he used the Final Flash against a Cell Jr (in the anime) because it was pointless.

The reason you don't remember that people have used special movies in previous chapters is because this arc hasn't been about characters getting "moments" that involved dramatic ki attacks. The only thing that springs to mind is Hit's Time Cage, which is pretty memorable in my opinion. But in general, there hasn't been any real dramatic fights for these emotionally powerful moments to happen. So far it's just been sneak attacks, outmaneuvering and outsmarting. Y'know, what you'd expect in a battle royale.

Now that things have been narrowed down to essentially two parties, it would be a failing if it isn't as intense as the Zamas arc's finale. This is what the whole tournament has been building up to; it needs a satisfying, cathartic payoff.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 pm

TKA wrote:
reecehoward wrote: Even if it's no singular enemy, that shouldn't stop special moves and attacks from being used.
People have been using special moves all tournament though.

The reason you don't remember them is because this arc hasn't been about characters getting "moments". Nor has there been any real dramatic fights for these emotionally powerful moments to happen. So far it's just been sneak attacks, outmaneuvering and outsmarting. Y'know, what you'd expect in a battle royale.

Now that things have been narrowed down to essentially two parties, it would be a failing if it isn't as intense as the Zamas arc's finale. This is what the whole tournament has been building up to; it needs a satisfying, cathartic payoff.
Outside of Hit and Roshi, I don't recall any dynamic special moves being used. Jiren himself hasn't even done anything that makes him an interesting fighter.

This is a story, moments should always be what it's about or else there's is no real point in writing it at all. As I've detailed above, you can give memorable moments in the midst of chaotic rumblings. In my second example with Tien, we not only get to see him doing something, but we get to see what his opponent can do! You show something like that, then shift the focus back to a main event, and come back to show a few dynamic panels leading to the conclusion of that fight. This should have been the type of things happening in the first few chapters of this arc. That way, we know exactly why it's impressive when these newcomers either win or lose.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 pm

reecehoward wrote:
TKA wrote:

The reason you don't remember them is because this arc hasn't been about characters getting "moments". Nor has there been any real dramatic fights for these emotionally powerful moments to happen. So far it's just been sneak attacks, outmaneuvering and outsmarting. Y'know, what you'd expect in a battle royale.

Outside of Hit and Roshi, I don't recall any dynamic special moves being used. Jiren himself hasn't even done anything that makes him an interesting fighter.

This is a story, moments should always be what it's about or else there's is no real point in writing it at all. As I've detailed above, you can give memorable moments in the midst of chaotic rumblings. In my second example with Tien, we not only get to see him doing something, but we get to see what his opponent can do! You show something like that, then shift the focus back to a main event, and come back to show a few dynamic panels leading to the conclusion of that fight. This should have been the type of things happening in the first few chapters of this arc. That way, we know exactly why it's impressive when these newcomers either win or lose.
Tien did used the Tri-Beam that Frost tanked. Also Hit’s Time Lag.

And are we actually saying we don’t need special techniques? Even the original manga had new characters do something unique besides punch and kick. I mean, look at Dabura or even freaking Guido.

The God of Destruction battle was a royal rumble free for all, yet we saw special moves. Being sneaking and special techniques are not one or another. It can be both like some can pull a Naruto Shadow Clone abs drag someone out of the ring.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm

HeroR wrote:
reecehoward wrote:
TKA wrote:

And are we actually saying we don’t need special techniques? Even the original manga had new characters do something unique besides punch and kick. I mean, look at Dabura or even freaking Guido.

The God of Destruction battle was a royal rumble free for all, yet we saw special moves. Being sneaking and special techniques are not one or another. It can be both like some can pull a Naruto Shadow Clone abs drag someone out of the ring.
I acknowledged Hit. I didn't count Tien's tri beam because it was what you would expect, we already know where both fighters stand and there was nothing unique or impactful about how it was illustrated. The reason I used Piccolo surprising Frost is to show that his training with Gohan has given him enough gains to finally be able to stand toe to toe with Frost. It's a small moment that builds upon established events in Super.

I'm saying we do need special techniques.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:09 pm

TKA wrote:But in general, there hasn't been any real dramatic fights for these emotionally powerful moments to happen. So far it's just been sneak attacks, outmaneuvering and outsmarting. Y'know, what you'd expect in a battle royale.
Right , next chapter is the moment to have the main fight that includes all those emotions, after last chapter ending ,
I can’t see another fast defeat , everybody else but goku and jiren are exhausted , this should be the peak of maximum power in this arc once goku will pull the final growing he’s talking about
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Whatever you think of the manga, you have to respect the fact that it has coherent story structure.

ToP Part 1(Tournament Beginning):
Weak fighters(Including Krillin, Tien, u9) are eliminated.
5 minutes elapsed.

ToP Part 2(Tournament continues):
Gimmick fighters eliminate some mid-tier fighters(Including 18,Piccolo).
Gimmick fighters(Including Hit, Magical Girls, Invisible fighters, Botamo) are eliminated.
15 minutes elapsed.

ToP Part 3(Universe 6 Saiyans):
Frieza fights u6 Saiyans
Kale Unleashes her power and eliminates 4 universes
u11 defeats Kale
Cabbe sacrifices himself to save his universe and Kefla is formes
u11 loses their massive advantage and the final stage of the tournament begins
33 minutes elapsed.

ToP Part 4(Finals):
Kefla, Gohan, Roshi, Toppo, Dyspo, and 17 are eliminated
Goku learns to tap into Ultra Instinct
Only god-tier fighters remain
Jiren is the only enemy of u7 remaining
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Bergamo wrote:
TobyS wrote:Why hasn't ultimate mission 4 been leaked anywhere yet? This manga is obviously more popular and canon but I'm surprised this isn't running close behind. It's at least fresher than the super manga where we know the broad strokes of the plot already...
Wrong thread.
I don't think the manga of universe has it's own thread only the game. Also it's fair to assume there is significant overlap in the fan base and even fan translators of both.

I'd say two ongoing official mangas have more in common with each other than the manga has with a game. Plus this thread has higher traffic too I think.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:24 pm

TobyS wrote:
I don't think the manga of universe has it's own thread only the game. Also it's fair to assume there is significant overlap in the fan base and even fan translators of both.
You should make a thread then.

I know I've never read Heroes and have no intention to. You'd probably have more consistent discussion of it if you made a thread specifically for the manga.

Also, just as an fyi: Viz translates Super's manga every month, not fans.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:28 pm

TKA wrote:
TobyS wrote:

I know I've never read Heroes and have no intention to. You'd probably have more consistent discussion of it if you made a thread specifically for the manga.

It's normally not a problem it get translated sharpish.

This time the plot was leaked and then no actually full translation followed... Can't find anything about it.

I assume it will go back to normal or end soon anyway so I don't see the need for a whole thread of it's own...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:35 pm

TobyS wrote:
TKA wrote:
TobyS wrote:

It's normally not a problem it get translated sharpish.

This time the plot was leaked and then no actually full translation followed... Can't find anything about it.

I assume it will go back to normal or end soon anyway so I don't see the need for a whole thread of it's own...
There is a thread in the Video Game section for Super Dragon Ball Heroes, we usually post translations and raw scans there. UM has no bearing on the main DBS continuity.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:16 pm

"Letting people down."

Maybe the context is escaping me but when does Goku let people down? He's almost always the one to quell some large imposing menace that has everyone else quaking in their boots. In fact, it occasionally seems to come at the expense of others handling their own conflicts (Tenshinhan's very basic humdrum scuffle with Drum comes to mind). The only times I can think of him failing to meet up to others' expectations are when he spares some gruesome menace or he's allowing an enemy to power up. In the end those kinds of situations tend to work themselves out anyway.

If anyone should be cursing anything it's the other Z-warriors for having their efficacy seemingly dulled for the purposes of embellishment and grandstanding.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Lionel wrote:"Letting people down."

Maybe the context is escaping me but when does Goku let people down? He's almost always the one to quell some large imposing menace that has everyone else quaking in their boots. In fact, it occasionally seems to come at the expense of others handling their own conflicts (Tenshinhan's very basic humdrum scuffle with Drum comes to mind). The only times I can think of him failing to meet up to others' expectations are when he spares some gruesome menace or he's allowing an enemy to power up. In the end those kinds of situations tend to work themselves out anyway.

If anyone should be cursing anything it's the other Z-warriors for having their efficacy seemingly dulled for the purposes of embellishment and grandstanding.
Bad translation.
もう周りに惑わされんのはおしまいだ

The actual translation is more along the lines of "I won't let myself be fooled by my surroundings anymore." Now Viz could've taken the meaning of 周り to be those around Goku who rely on him which is a bit of a stretch imo, and since 惑わす is being used in the passive form, one could interpret that the action of being fooled is done by those around Goku so that's where the Viz translation comes from. I think Herms also covered this before but just my own 2 cents.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
reecehoward wrote:
TKA wrote:

I think there is a healthy middle. On one hand, special moves do add variety, but I really didn't care about Shantza's attack or the Black hole of love. Of course there is never any balance in Super. The anime is always excessive and the manga always leaves the reader wanting more.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Lionel wrote:"Letting people down."

Bad translation.
もう周りに惑わされんのはおしまいだ

The actual translation is more along the lines of "I won't let myself be fooled by my surroundings anymore." Now Viz could've taken the meaning of 周り to be those around Goku who rely on him which is a bit of a stretch imo, and since 惑わす is being used in the passive form, one could interpret that the action of being fooled is done by those around Goku so that's where the Viz translation comes from. I think Herms also covered this before but just my own 2 cents.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Herms98/stat ... 9952955392
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....