"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:20 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: He spent the whole time fighting Vegetto here, and unlike Boo who makes it perfectly clear he's on his final ropes, Zamasu acts perfectly fine. He doesn't appear fatigued or weakened in any way. He's in fact flaunting his power and god status. This was again, after Vegetto said he was going to end this, and fired a Final Kamehameha right at him.
It's not clear if he took the Final Kamehameha head-on, but right after that Vegetto says "Say goodbye!"

I don't think he forgot Merged Zamasu was Immortal.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: He spent the whole time fighting Vegetto here, and unlike Boo who makes it perfectly clear he's on his final ropes, Zamasu acts perfectly fine. He doesn't appear fatigued or weakened in any way. He's in fact flaunting his power and god status. This was again, after Vegetto said he was going to end this, and fired a Final Kamehameha right at him.
It's not clear if he took the Final Kamehameha head-on, but right after that Vegetto says "Say goodbye!"

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The way he said that wasnt exactly him being sure he's sending MZamasu to his grave, it was more like a pep scream 'DIE ALREADY YOU SOB'
dbzfan7 wrote: I literally posted the image of his Jesus Christ pose after the Final Kamehameha, which Vegetto said he'd end things with. He then appears pissed his attack didn't even phase Zamasu. Probably because Zamasu can regenerate. I mean compare Super Boo to Zamasu and how they fought Vegetto. Super Boo visibly and mentally showed he was in big trouble. That he was getting his ass kicked and he knew he would die if he didn't desperately come up with a solution. Meanwhile Zamasu doesn't show any of that. He is full of confidence, and never appears to slow down or remain harmed. Even Boo showed signs of this as his regen factor was being taxed.
Yeah like how he reformed his lower and upper body the wrong way (anime only tho) and Super Boo was clearly getting overwhelmed despite his regen abilities he was showing both physical and mental damage like you said, unlike MZamasu who literally laughed off a final KHH, the dude probably didnt even know how to kill him and just went with ''I'll just whoop your ass... over and over.''

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:

He's flying right out of the explosion, and it's been established Zamasu can heal himself. I think it's pretty clear he was hit by it. Go watch the Super Boo fight again and you can see the massive difference how the fights turned out. You can see Super Boo's dilemma. You can visually see his regen is being taxed because Vegetto is beating him so much. Zamasu in contrast doesn't at all appear like he's really gonna lose. His nigh immortality and attitude shows he's not really in bad shape. His belief is not once really deterred. He never feels like he's gonna lose. Super Boo in contrast knows he's going to lose, worries about this, and distinctively comes up with a plan to counter this. Zamasu does none of that as he doesn't really show he's in any dire situation.
SansrivaaL wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The way he said that wasnt exactly him being sure he's sending MZamasu to his grave, it was more like a pep scream 'DIE ALREADY YOU SOB'
Exactly. He's not really phased at all and Vegetto despite kicking him around is getting sick of it. Unlike in the manga where Zamasu shows he's in deep trouble and could be crushed. He's aware he may die, and got lucky of the defusion. He's fully aware of Vegetto's power and is visibly angry. He knows he's too strong and this could very well be the end.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:06 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: He's flying right out of the explosion, and it's been established Zamasu can heal himself. I think it's pretty clear he was hit by it. Go watch the Super Boo fight again and you can see the massive difference how the fights turned out. You can see Super Boo's dilemma. You can visually see his regen is being taxed because Vegetto is beating him so much. Zamasu in contrast doesn't at all appear like he's really gonna lose. His nigh immortality and attitude shows he's not really in bad shape. His belief is not once really deterred. He never feels like he's gonna lose. Super Boo in contrast knows he's going to lose, worries about this, and distinctively comes up with a plan to counter this. Zamasu does none of that as he doesn't really show he's in any dire situation.
Yeah, I remember how Super Buu started to get nervous when his regeneration begun to fail, but they don't need to have the same reactions. Not only Merged Zamasu is a different character than Super Buu, the anime counterpart is also different from the manga counterpart.

Goku Black in the anime for example would never lost his composure, didn't matter the situation he was in.
Goku Black in the manga or other villain like Super Buu would start getting nervous when things weren't going their way.

Merged Zamasu was acting almighty in that shot you posted but what happened after that when FT Trunks stepped in?! He lost control and doesn't act like a god at all.
You don't see him doing another godly pose again after that one.

The thing is, SSB Vegetto knew Merged Zamasu was immortal and he was still confident that he would win. SS Ikari FT Trunks cut him in half. There's no reason to think SSB Vegetto wouldn't be able to beat him, if he hadn't defused.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: He's flying right out of the explosion, and it's been established Zamasu can heal himself. I think it's pretty clear he was hit by it. Go watch the Super Boo fight again and you can see the massive difference how the fights turned out. You can see Super Boo's dilemma. You can visually see his regen is being taxed because Vegetto is beating him so much. Zamasu in contrast doesn't at all appear like he's really gonna lose. His nigh immortality and attitude shows he's not really in bad shape. His belief is not once really deterred. He never feels like he's gonna lose. Super Boo in contrast knows he's going to lose, worries about this, and distinctively comes up with a plan to counter this. Zamasu does none of that as he doesn't really show he's in any dire situation.
Yeah, I remember how Super Buu started to get nervous when his regeneration begun to fail. But not only Merged Zamasu is a different character than Super Buu, the anime counterpart is also different from the manga counterpart.

Goku Black in the anime for example would never lost his composure, didn't matter the situation he was in.
Goku Black in the manga or other villain like Super Buu would start getting nervous when things weren't going their way.

Merged Zamasu was acting almighty in that shot you posted but what happened after that when FT Trunks stepped in?! He lost control and doesn't act like a god at all.
You don't see him doing another godly pose again after that one.

The thing is, SSB Vegetto knew Merged Zamasu was immortal and he was still confident that he would win. SS Ikari FT Trunks cut him in half. There's no reason to think SSB Vegetto wouldn't be able to beat him, if he hadn't defused.
He was more angry Trunks got in the way, because he triumphed over Vegetto by outlasting him, and then came that other crap from said episode. He finally won essentially and then was interrupted. Vegetto was supposed to be the last resort, and now suddenly another mortal was somehow making things difficult.

That has nothing to even do with the point I am making. The point is, he was not weakened. He went through Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, and Vegetto, and managed to be just fine throughout. He never suddenly powered down a whole lot or got tired. He was defeated by terrible writing, and ass pulls left and right that were all about being as flashy as possible, without having any sort of substance to them. Which was basically what the latter part of the entire anime arc was.

I ain't arguing Vegetto couldn't beat Zamasu eventually, I am saying he didn't do any real significant damage. Mainly because he barely had any time to really do any damage. Compared to like Super Vegetto back then who had more than enough time to really do damage. Vegetto Blue's time was really short, making him not really leave much of an impact.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:46 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Nice writing Toyo
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow. That's really cool. Nice throwbacks.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:15 pm

LightBing wrote:And you forgot that SSJ2 Vegeta has been stronger than SSJ3 Goku since the BoG Arc.
I don't understand why people keep repeating this. It's blatant that this intentional from Toyotarõ.
Sure, but where was stated that Vegeta sudden power-up had surpassed Goku and became a permanent thing? And why he was surprised with Trunks and not proud of his son being able to do the same thing? Face it, the power scalling in the manga is bad as the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Noah wrote:
LightBing wrote:And you forgot that SSJ2 Vegeta has been stronger than SSJ3 Goku since the BoG Arc.
I don't understand why people keep repeating this. It's blatant that this intentional from Toyotarõ.
Sure, but where was stated that Vegeta sudden power-up had surpassed Goku and became a permanent thing? And why he was surprised with Trunks and not proud of his son being able to do the same thing? Face it, the power scalling in the manga is bad as the anime.
Since when do forms have to be stated to be permanent unless they are given limitations previously? SSJ wasn't mentioned as permanent, Goku simply had it the next he appeared. Likewise, Gohan simply had SSJ2 in the next arc and nobody said it was permanent. Toyotarõ did the same thing with SSJ God.
We know Vegeta surpassed Goku because he was the one who performed the best against Beerus, pre-SSJ God.

Arguably Trunks version of SSJ2 isn't the same as Vegeta's, the power difference is significant. I don't see how Vegeta being slightly surprised at something he didn't know his son could do, while serving as the author's tool to place Trunk's power is relevant at all.

The fact that Vegeta shows the same power again is the confirmation. Once it's a fluke, twice it's a pattern.

Did I mention the anime at all in my previous post? You just exposed your bias with that sentence.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 pm

LightBing wrote:Since when do forms have to be stated to be permanent unless they are given limitations previously? SSJ wasn't mentioned as permanent, Goku simply had it the next he appeared. Likewise, Gohan simply had SSJ2 in the next arc and nobody said it was permanent. Toyotarõ did the same thing with SSJ God.
We know Vegeta surpassed Goku because he was the one who performed the best against Beerus, pre-SSJ God.

Arguably Trunks version of SSJ2 isn't the same as Vegeta's, the power difference is significant. I don't see how Vegeta being slightly surprised at something he didn't know his son could do, while serving as the author's tool to place Trunk's power is relevant at all.

The fact that Vegeta shows the same power again is the confirmation. Once it's a fluke, twice it's a pattern.

Did I mention the anime at all in my previous post? You just exposed your bias with that sentence.
Oh did I? I don't defend any, both are average at best, with the manga being worse than the anime by a few notches IMO.

Since when presented was mere rage boosts or Gohan battle power after fighting Raditz and Freeza stayed the same? Vegeta surpassed Goku, yes but that was only stated in BoG (movie) IIRC, but I not denying that he performed better against Beerus, the question is that in all medias this scene was presented as he acquiring a power boost due his rage and not a new form.

SSJ2 Vegeta overwhelming SSJ Black doesn't make much sense, but sure you can handwave with your headcanon that he retained his rage boost, even though that's never implied to be the case.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Seeing as most of the Tournament of Power fighters are just background fodder most likely created by Toei do you think the manga will use the same characters or will Toyotaro have his own fodder fighters?

As in will people like Shosa, Napapa, Lilybeu, Vuon etc be in the manga or will there be a whole new crop of characters?

I'd hope not, that'd be really confusing.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Bullza wrote:Seeing as most of the Tournament of Power fighters are just background fodder most likely created by Toei do you think the manga will use the same characters or will Toyotaro have his own fodder fighters?

As in will people like Shosa, Napapa, Lilybeu, Vuon etc be in the manga or will there be a whole new crop of characters?

I'd hope not, that'd be really confusing.
I think we will have the same characters just with a little difference in their design like black
Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 pm

LightBing wrote:
Noah wrote:
Since when do forms have to be stated to be permanent unless they are given limitations previously? SSJ wasn't mentioned as permanent, Goku simply had it the next he appeared. Likewise, Gohan simply had SSJ2 in the next arc and nobody said it was permanent. Toyotarõ did the same thing with SSJ God.

Dude, he craps on the anime just as much, he's very non biased with his criticisms
I don't agree that the scaling is as bad as the anime though. It isn't perfect in the manga, but the anime takes it to a whole other level

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:07 am

Finally read the last chapter of the arc.

Episode 67 is certainly a tough act to follow, and I think it reaches higher highs than this chapter on its own, but I'm confident saying I vastly prefer the manga's take as a whole, for characterization, tone and pacing. Chapter 26 offers and ending that's nearly as emotionally affecting, if not quite as bittersweet, as episode 67's, and it feels perfectly in tone with the series helmed for ten years by Toriyama.

A perfectly fitting conclusion to another one-off entry, as with the manga's version of the Universe 6 storyline and the two movies before it.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:08 am

i felt the manga focused more on action then actual charecter development. from a story standpoint the anime was superior. the manga had longer fights and better action. but gohan wasent even in the manga. the anime made it clear that trunks care for his mentor.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 am

gohan_black wrote:i felt the manga focused more on action then actual charecter development. from a story standpoint the anime was superior. the manga had longer fights and better action. but gohan wasent even in the manga. the anime made it clear that trunks care for his mentor.
If you'll buy vol 4 or 5, wherever the Goku black story arc ends in the manga, there will be the bonus chapter with Gohan meeting Trunks.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:56 pm

gohan_black wrote:i felt the manga focused more on action then actual charecter development. from a story standpoint the anime was superior. the manga had longer fights and better action. but gohan wasent even in the manga. the anime made it clear that trunks care for his mentor.
Gohan is in the manga. He's in Chapter 3. If you're talking about the Future Trunks Arc, Toyotarou drew a special chapter for JVC 2017: Gohan is revealed to be secretly training in the Gravity Room at Capsule Corp. and a few days before Trunks and Mye left, he actually met up with Trunks and he's the reason why Trunks and Mye went back into the future (who decided to stay in the present)

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Meshack wrote:
Gohan is in the manga. He's in Chapter 3. If you're talking about the Future Trunks Arc, Toyotarou drew a special chapter for JVC 2017: Gohan is revealed to be secretly training in the Gravity Room at Capsule Corp. and a few days before Trunks and Mye left, he actually met up with Trunks and he's the reason why Trunks and Mye went back into the future (who decided to stay in the present)
its not only because of gohan. its also because trunks bearly even played a part in the fighting and it was all goku and vegeta. and also because it had terrible writing. goku suddenly can do the hakai teqhnice out of nowere and other stupid shit

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Maybe Trunks cared for his menthor, but his mentor didn't care for him, based on his reaction, he didn't even ask why he was there or how he was. Then, in the last chapter, he appears out of nowhere to say goodbye like his life goes on it. What was that? Is Gohan bipolar or what. First no reaction at all and then an overreaction. That is bad writing, plus other shit.
Heno heno kappa!

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:19 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Meshack wrote:
its not only because of gohan. its also because trunks bearly even played a part in the fighting and it was all goku and vegeta. and also because it had terrible writing. goku suddenly can do the hakai teqhnice out of nowere and other stupid shit
How is it terrible writing? Goku and Vegeta are leagues above Trunks. He could barely defeat Darbura. He also only had Super Saiyan 2 for a year before returning to the present. How do you expect Trunks to compete with someone who has the power of Goku from the future? You can't! The anime did a horrible presentation except for the Genkidama Sword. The form, being able to compete with Merged Zamasu, and Goku Black is complete bs

How is it stupid that Goku can do Destroy? We don't see all of Goku's and Vegeta's training. Gohan was never shown in panels by Piccolo to do Masenkou or the Kamehameha by Goku. And what other stuff is stupid?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Basako wrote:
Maybe Trunks cared for his menthor, but his mentor didn't care for him, based on his reaction, he didn't even ask why he was there or how he was. Then, in the last chapter, he appears out of nowhere to say goodbye like his life goes on it. What was that? Is Gohan bipolar or what. First no reaction at all and then an overreaction. That is bad writing, plus other shit.
What're you talking about?