"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 am

A good chapter.
I really want to know what Jiren's wish is.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 am

Namz wrote:So disappointing that the filler aliens of Universe 11 were included in the chapter. Those are stronger than Goku SSBlue though, they made Toppo actually struggled.
Wrong.
Plus, they're holding back, as the Pride Troopers in the manga don't kill opponents.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 am

But he also didnt kill Goku.

This introducing Jiren in the mamga felt weird. Some superhero clown that can be beaten easely.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:06 am

Pannaliciour wrote:But he also didnt kill Goku.

This introducing Jiren in the mamga felt weird. Some superhero clown that can be beaten easely.
How the hell did you come up with that when all the manga did was make him look strong?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 am

The manga made me more interested about Jiren's wish than the anime where Toppo just mentioned Jiren had a wish he wanted fulfilled.
Cliche wish being to restore every erased universe because JUSTICE!

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:13 am

Namz wrote:So disappointing that the filler aliens of Universe 11 were included in the chapter. Those are stronger than Goku SSBlue though, they made Toppo actually struggled.
filler doesnt mean what you think it does, clearly

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 am

Manga Jiren seems to be more in line with what I wanted him to be back when we first heard of him. I wanted them to really lean into the idea that Goku was fighting THE superhero of another Universe. The fact that in the manga he's such a good guy he doesn't want to erase other universes to save his own goes a long way toward that. The anime has done a decent job with their depiction of him as a grim Terminator, and it's an arguably more unique take even if it is flat, but I want to see how a fight between Goku and this version of Jiren goes down.

Can't give the manga full points though, because the reason I was so hopeful for good guy Jiren was because the anime set Goku up as a villain to the Pride Troopers with Toppo's declaration of war in episode 82. The manga seems to have avoided that angle altogether to it's detriment. Toppo's just kind of boring in this version. My ideal version of this arc would pair anime Toppo with manga Jiren, then you'd really have some sparks flying. Manga Toppo and anime Jiren can just go off and be bland together. I wonder what Toriyama's outline was like.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 am

I like this take on Jiren. Lately I've been thinking there's one of two directions the anime will go with Jiren: either he's a meathead Goku can fight relatively guilt free because there's nothing much to him as a character, or he'll actually turn out to be an even bigger HERO OF JUSTICE than Toppo is. I'd much rather have him be a hero, quite frankly. :D

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 am

Toyotaro is really doing the "stop playing safe" thing, the art seems more natural and relaxed, I like it :clap:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:26 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I like this take on Jiren. Lately I've been thinking there's one of two directions the anime will go with Jiren: either he's a meathead Goku can fight relatively guilt free because there's nothing much to him as a character, or he'll actually turn out to be an even bigger HERO OF JUSTICE than Toppo is. I'd much rather have him be a hero, quite frankly. :D
It's pretty great because it will probably just make Goku look like an @$$hole for just wanted a good fight. The hanging out with previous villians isnt going to help Gokus case either.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 am

TheMikado wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I like this take on Jiren. Lately I've been thinking there's one of two directions the anime will go with Jiren: either he's a meathead Goku can fight relatively guilt free because there's nothing much to him as a character, or he'll actually turn out to be an even bigger HERO OF JUSTICE than Toppo is. I'd much rather have him be a hero, quite frankly. :D
It's pretty great because it will probably just make Goku look like an @$$hole for just wanted a good fight. The hanging out with previous villians isnt going to help Gokus case either.
One of the issues I've had with this arc and one of the reasons I'm feeling so fatigued with it is that Goku is constantly skirting right on the edge of being an unsympathetic asshole and I can't tell whether it's intentional or not. I really hope it is
intentional and that it goes somewhere. The circumstances are a little different in the manga since Goku didn't basically flip the bird at all the gods and tell them to come at him with their best, but still. Plus you have Ultra Instinct which is a pretty mean looking form compared to the others that came before it. Goku always has this stern scowl on his face.

I'm kinda rooting for Jiren to win now. :lol:

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am

No one made Toppo struggle at all... Did you read the same chapter I did? The only thing I saw the alien do was this strange attack. It’s no different than Kame-Sennin doing the Mafuuba against Frost even though Frost is stronger.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 am

So did Shin mention the 28 planets thing? I see a 28 in his dialogue in one of the panels there.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
One of the issues I've had with this arc and one of the reasons I'm feeling so fatigued with it is that Goku is constantly skirting right on the edge of being an unsympathetic asshole and I can't tell whether it's intentional or not. I really hope it is
intentional and that it goes somewhere. The circumstances are a little different in the manga since Goku didn't basically flip the bird at all the gods and tell them to come at him with their best, but still. Plus you have Ultra Instinct which is a pretty mean looking form compared to the others that came before it. Goku always has this stern scowl on his face.

I'm kinda rooting for Jiren to win now. :lol:
Right, I think what we are going to get is typical Goku where he has the "Everything will work out in the end so let's not worry to much" attitude. I think Jiren will show a broader concern for the universes and everyone will actually root for him instead of fight him. It would actually make sense for the other fighters to leave him alone if he promises to save everyone. It will also go a long way to making Goku look evil to everyone else if Goku specifically wants to fight the guy who is promising to save everyone. If this is done well it will be very good even with similar scenarios occurring. The difference will be how they react to those scenarios.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

OLKv3 wrote:How the hell did you come up with that when all the manga did was make him look strong?
Like how? He didn't have any impressive feat in this chapter, also could you change your avatar, please? People are mistaking you with Chuquita
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:So did Shin mention the 28 planets thing? I see a 28 in his dialogue in one of the panels there.
Probably

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with anime Jiren and it is just that many of you don't like someone who doesn't speak a lot.
I agree. Its not because a character doesn't talk a lot that its a bad character, we just don't know much about him just like we don't know much about U6 Saiyans or Hit or anyone else in the TOP. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Jiren, nor any other character like Ribrianne etc... every character don't have to be the same, act the same, all talky, cocky or shy or w/e. Some people absolutely want to change the character because they don't like how that character is... you either love him or hate him, but don't try to change him. It reminds me of Broly, where people absolutely want to change his motivation, his story, his personality, every single thing to make a whole different character... like wtf

Some people don't like to talk irl, what does that mean? does that mean that its a bad person or a bland person? like seriously. Its not because Jiren doesn't talk a lot that he is a bad character or a bland character.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm

so basically pride troopers = justice league

jiren = superman
dypso = flash
toppo = ??? captain marvel (shazaam)
so forth

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:so basically pride troopers = justice league

jiren = superman
dypso = flash
toppo = ??? captain marvel (shazaam)
so forth
Not really

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Noah wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:How the hell did you come up with that when all the manga did was make him look strong?
Like how? He didn't have any impressive feat in this chapter, also could you change your avatar, please? People are mistaking you with Chuquita
:roll:
He's confirmed stronger than Belmod in the manga
He easily one shotted the beast that was giving his team trouble
He's so fast he can outperform their spaceships and flies from planet to planet super fast
How is he not looking impressive? His post saying he looks like some weakling chump and you defending that are just silly