"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 am

JazzMazz wrote:Quick question, who would you guys consider the ideal artist for Dragonball manga outside of Toriyama?

Personally, I think Dragon Garow Lee would probably be the best possible pick for the Dragonball manga. Unlike guys like Toyo and JiJi, I think his panelling and layouts are easily the most dynamic and unique with him not really relying much on extensive referencing like Toyo and JiJi do.
No one really, inside the world of professional mangaka but some really talented fan artist like Jiji and others definitely so. That being said, if I had to pick a professional manga artist it would be Yusuke Murta.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Quick question, who would you guys consider the ideal artist for Dragonball manga outside of Toriyama?

Personally, I think Dragon Garow Lee would probably be the best possible pick for the Dragonball manga. Unlike guys like Toyo and JiJi, I think his panelling and layouts are easily the most dynamic and unique with him not really relying much on extensive referencing like Toyo and JiJi do.
No one really, inside the world of professional mangaka but some really talented fan artist like Jiji and others definitely so. That being said, if I had to pick a professional manga artist it would be Yusuke Murta.
I totally forgot about Murata. He'd be awesome! Dude even made Zeno's dopey guards look bad-ass:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

TKA wrote:The only person other than Toriyama who has shown to be able to put out decent enough art while also crafting a Toriyama-esque story in the 25+ years this franchise has been around is Toyotaro.
Preach.

There are absolutely real-deal issues with Toyotaro as an artist, but his style is pleasing, he works quickly enough, and more importantly than either, I think he has by far the best grasp on the characters and overall tone of any of the major former fan-artists who usually get suggested for the role.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Cipher wrote:
TKA wrote:The only person other than Toriyama who has shown to be able to put out decent enough art while also crafting a Toriyama-esque story in the 25+ years this franchise has been around is Toyotaro.
Preach.

There are absolutely real-deal issues with Toyotaro as an artist, but his style is pleasing, he works quickly enough, and more importantly than either, I think he has by far the best grasp on the characters and overall tone of any of the major former fan-artists who usually get suggested for the role.
Toyotaro draws characters with a little too much hunch though, if he can just doing that, he would be the ideal artist.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Bergamo wrote:Neither Yo Son Goku nor the Battle of Gods film are not definitively connected to the main continuity(DB manga, DBS), so what's the point of discussing consistency within works that aren't consistent with the entire rest of the series?
I agree Yo Son Goku and his friends return seems to have been removed from the continuity, but BoG "besides the Tarble reference and 70% power line" fits in pretty much exactly with everything else.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Neither Yo Son Goku nor the Battle of Gods film are not definitively connected to the main continuity(DB manga, DBS), so what's the point of discussing consistency within works that aren't consistent with the entire rest of the series?
I agree Yo Son Goku and his friends return seems to have been removed from the continuity, but BoG "besides the Tarble reference and 70% power line" fits in pretty much exactly with everything else.
Battle of Gods(The movie) has presumably been replaced by super in the continuity. If you want to discuss the events of BoG that's fine, but it shouldn't be used for powerscaling like any of the other DBZ movies.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Bergamo wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
Battle of Gods(The movie) has presumably been replaced by super in the continuity. If you want to discuss the events of BoG that's fine, but it shouldn't be used for powerscaling like any of the other DBZ movies.
Even dragon ball super should be used to scale dragon ball super, lmao. It pretty much makes no sense. Also like I said, ignoring the 70% line everything else fits in fine. Beerus still stomped ssj3 Goku, angry ssj2 Vegeta was a bit stronger than ssj3 Goku, SSG still wasn't enough to beat a holding back Beerus. The only thing that messes up the scaling is the 70% line. And if we are talking about the manga, SSG Goku being 60% of Beerus probably makes more sense than the anime version where Beerus was actually hundreds of times stronger making the fight kind of pointless. If Beerus was that much stronger he might as well just fought ssj3 Goku suppressed. For the manga I feel like SSG Goku was maybe like a 1, SSB a 2, mastered SSB 5, and Beerus a 10.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Cipher wrote:
Preach.

Agree . Also I want to point that for my taste he’s improving with the gags since the top arc start , he’s making me smile once in a while lately .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm excited to see the Jump Festival mini comic. They usually provide supplementary information related to the chapter that comes out the same month. My prediction is u6 Supreme Kai giving Caulifla the portara.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:03 pm

People get too hung up on what "canon" is.

For me, the only canon is the original manga, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection F because of Toriyama's heavy involvement (and as a way to complete the story, the original Bardock Special is also included in that list). Everything else exists in this nebulous cloud of ever-shifting importance.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:33 pm

dragon boss z wrote:I agree Yo Son Goku and his friends return seems to have been removed from the continuity, but BoG "besides the Tarble reference and 70% power line" fits in pretty much exactly with everything else.
I'm with you on this. There's some obvious power scaling differences, but the manga practically skims over its first two arcs. Its adaptation of Battle of Gods was extremely condensed - the polar opposite of the anime, which was extremely dragged out - and then it never bothers to adapt Resurrection 'F' at all. This was also from a time before the manga was really doing its own thing, acting more as promotional material for the anime.

Despite some minor differences with the first arc of Super, I feel that the manga is best viewed as a follow-up to the 2013/2015 movies both in terms of Toriyama's level of involvement and also just looking at the series critically in general. If you can disregard minute details retconned by the series as a whole, there's very much a cohesive, almost feature-esque flow to that specific order of consumption.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:I agree Yo Son Goku and his friends return seems to have been removed from the continuity, but BoG "besides the Tarble reference and 70% power line" fits in pretty much exactly with everything else.
I'm with you on this. There's some obvious power scaling differences, but the manga practically skims over its first two arcs. Its adaptation of Battle of Gods was extremely condensed - the polar opposite of the anime, which was extremely dragged out - and then it never bothers to adapt Resurrection 'F' at all. This was also from a time before the manga was really doing its own thing, acting more as promotional material for the anime.

Despite some minor differences with the first arc of Super, I feel that the manga is best viewed as a follow-up to the 2013/2015 movies both in terms of Toriyama's level of involvement and also just looking at the series critically in general. If you can disregard minute details retconned by the series as a whole, there's very much a cohesive, almost feature-esque flow to that specific order of consumption.
I agree. Especially with the RoF movie as it fits right into the manga very well and in the flash backs of the super manga of the RoF arc Shisami is there and not Tagoma and the scene where Goku kills Frieza looks like it was ripped right from the movie.
I think watching the two movies and then going to the manga is an acceptable method of going through the Super story.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

I agree. Especially with the RoF movie as it fits right into the manga very well and in the flash backs of the super manga of the RoF arc Shisami is there and not Tagoma and the scene where Goku kills Frieza looks like it was ripped right from the movie.
I think watching the two movies and then going to the manga is an acceptable method of going through the Super story.
RoF doesn't fit the manga at all. The entire point of Goku vs Frieza in RoF was that Goku was able to win because of his superior stamina. Goku's stamina in the manga is basically non-existent, so that can't work.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Bergamo wrote: RoF doesn't fit the manga at all. The entire point of Goku vs Frieza in RoF was that Goku was able to win because of his superior stamina. Goku's stamina in the manga is basically non-existent, so that can't work.
Whis said Blue wasn't a form that could be done over and over again, so I assume that means as long as Goku doesn't deactivate and activate it, it's fine. And Frieza's stamina might have just been worse. Vegeta vs Black is an example of a fight in the manga where Vegeta just stayed Blue and kept beating on Black.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Bergamo wrote:I'm excited to see the Jump Festival mini comic. They usually provide supplementary information related to the chapter that comes out the same month. My prediction is u6 Supreme Kai giving Caulifla the portara.
When is that ? I google it and said it was on December :crazy:

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm

prince212 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:I'm excited to see the Jump Festival mini comic. They usually provide supplementary information related to the chapter that comes out the same month. My prediction is u6 Supreme Kai giving Caulifla the portara.
It's mid-late july, usually after the chapter comes out. Toyotaro tweeted about it.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 am

Bergamo wrote:
prince212 wrote:
It's mid-late july, usually after the chapter comes out. Toyotaro tweeted about it.
Awesome,thanks . Your prediction fits perfectly. If we were in the final battle against Jiren I would say a Jiren backstory, but in the point we are now .. that has sense .
We are getting closer to a new chapter heheehe :thumbup: I want some Roshi elimination with dignity a.s.p , I know he was “overpowered” or overplayed in the anime , but I liked it

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

I really want to see Gohan and Roshi teaming up this month or next, it would be waste if we never saw that.
Mostly active on discord.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm

TKA wrote:People get too hung up on what "canon" is.
Exactly, everyone can have their personal canon, until someday (probably never) Toei/Toriyama declares what really counts to DB official continuity.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
TKA wrote:People get too hung up on what "canon" is.
Exactly, everyone can have their personal canon, until someday (probably never) Toei/Toriyama declares what really counts to DB official continuity.
This is not right. A lot of the movies cannot coincide with the original manga. GT cannot coincide with Super. An alternative canon created it your head is just that, something in your head