"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

IM21 wrote:
DasMuse wrote:
IM21 wrote:
It is the actual cover, there is also a special one with Trunks and his spirit sword.

http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/comic/dbs03/#dbs__comic
That alternate Trunks cover is pretty great looking. I wonder if they'll do something similar for the English release?
The only problem is that it didn't happen in the manga. Also, I don't think they'll do it for the English release. It's already stupid that the English releases don't have the Japanese back covers which are great looking.
It did happen in the manga. Trunks used that aura sword to cut Black/Zamasu in half and end the fusion

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm

I assume the manga will run till the movie is out. So 7-8 more chapters I guess.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 pm

OLKv3 wrote: It did happen in the manga. Trunks used that aura sword to cut Black/Zamasu in half and end the fusion

It was a normal sword, unless I am blind. The special cover sword is clearly the anime one.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

IM21 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: It did happen in the manga. Trunks used that aura sword to cut Black/Zamasu in half and end the fusion

It was a normal sword, unless I am blind. The special cover sword is clearly the anime one.
Just check it in chapter 25 , it’s true trunks sword seems to have an aura at the moment he cut in two merge zamasu , but that special cover looks more like the anime one . Anyways looks nice , another piece of art that I doubt viz is gonna offer to us ( like Japanese back covers ) , somebody pointed that before
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm

prince212 wrote: Just check it in chapter 25 , it’s true trunks sword seems to have an aura at the moment he cut in two merge zamasu , but that special cover looks more like the anime one . Anyways looks nice , another piece of art that I doubt viz is gonna offer to us ( like Japanese back covers ) , somebody pointed that before

It did have aura, but it was Truns ssj aura not the spirit sword one. The sword would have been colored and it would be clear that it is special.

His sword actually had a lot of times aura around him, even in Z. But it is clearly just cause of ssj state.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:
IM21 wrote:.

And no one should really care about some ''rumors''. No one knows when it will end. My prediction is it will end before the movie.
Interesting, I've only recently jumped into the manga as I was curious to see how this arc was going to be handled, probably should go and read the rest of it. I'll probably ignore those rumors as well probably people just spreading misinformation.
This spine art cover 8 volumes, so by my calculation it could end in 7 chapter which I hope not,I prefer 10 chapter more.
IM21 wrote:
prince212 wrote: Just check it in chapter 25 , it’s true trunks sword seems to have an aura at the moment he cut in two merge zamasu , but that special cover looks more like the anime one . Anyways looks nice , another piece of art that I doubt viz is gonna offer to us ( like Japanese back covers ) , somebody pointed that before

It did have aura, but it was Truns ssj aura not the spirit sword one. The sword would have been colored and it would be clear that it is special.
True is not the same as Spirit sword,it just look like an SS aura.
    I will repeat myself again,i have a feeling that scene will be reworked to something else :think: Spirit sword with Gowasu,Vegeta,shin and Mai perhaps :P or an actual battle of Future vs Corrupt Zamas,it will make the line Trunks you saved the day less silly.
    Last edited by The gr on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

IM21
    Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 pm

buutenks wrote:I assume the manga will run till the movie is out. So 7-8 more chapters I guess.
    7 more would make the most sense if the 8th volume will be the end. 9 more chapters is max, cause that would be November. Don't think the tournament will be ending after the movie.

Its also interesting how many chapters will toyotaro give to goku vs jiren and all the other fights. There are quite a few that could take at least 20-30 pages.

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pm

I also don't think Toyotaro will drag this arc for too long, he will probably make us feel that was actually a 48-minute Battle Royale
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 pm

What's the fetish with wondering when the manga will end?
    Ever since they announced the anime ending people can't stop guessing the end of the manga. Something similar happened with the Zamasu Arc, after it was finished in the anime people were more worried discussing how many chapters were left instead of the content.

The thought just sounds ridiculous and unfruitful to me. It's like wondering when you're going to die.

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 pm

LightBing wrote:What's the fetish with wondering when the manga will end?
    Ever since they announced the anime ending people can't stop guessing the end of the manga. Something similar happened with the Zamasu Arc, after it was finished in the anime people were more worried discussing how many chapters were left instead of the content.

The thought just sounds ridiculous and unfruitful to me. It's like wondering when you're going to die.
    It’s just a fetish that you don’t understand, personally I want as much content as possible , with 10 chapters more my fetish will be satisfied :lol:
    You gotta understand that some people enjoy dbs manga contents and future guessings , same happen with the anime.
    until they officially tell that dbs manga is gonna end in top arc , guess that end of manga is after the future movie , make little more possibilities to offer more manga material

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?

I mean so far, the biggest complaints were Kale acting like a scared little girl, Ribrianne acting like a clown of LOVELOVELOVELOVE, Jiren standing there, doing/saying nothing and the general pace of the ToP. Toyotaro seems to be working on all those fronts. Kale looks like a silent badass, Ribrianne seems more serious, Jiren is doing stuff from the get go and the fodder seem to be dispatched almost immediately.

I can't help but feel that Toyotaro made a list of the fandom's complaints (assuming our co-fans from the land of the Rising Sun have more or less the same issues) and worked on them one by one.
    OverHeaven wrote:I don't have that much problem with how the story progress and power levels differences between manga and anime.
    But it really annoys me how some of the new characters in the anime are essentially totally different characters with different personalities than their manga version. like they just have the same name and design.
    Kale, amirite?
    By what I hear their is a difference between what Japaneses fans Like and what we western Fans have come to debate over and over again on the net. I have heard 2 times already that Ribrianne in Japan is Pretty Popular and that would not surprise me since Magical Girls are more commonly know thier then in the west outside of Sailor Moon.

I also don't think Toei takes much time considering recent fan complaints espically ones in the west, I have heard that Japan's production houses like Toei mostly care about their Local Homeland audiences more.

So Kale being more stern or Ribrianne looking more serious I think is just a coincidence in thinking their was some form of response to fan complaints we see in the west. Also, even in the west we have had as you know debates on those that Like Kale for who she is and don't like her for who she is and Those Like Me that Like Ribrianne's Love Ideals and those that don't, so it has not been cut and dry either on those fronts. But I don't think fan debates on the net even remotely gain the notice of anyone at Toei's house or Toyotaro.
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:
    CJStriker_CBR wrote:
    CriticalThinker wrote:Since Ribrianne seems to be the hot topic of this thread right now, does anyone else think that the whole magical girl parody might have been a toei thing? I know it's a bit premature of me to ask this but based off what I've seen so far it seems like it.
    Well I think it was Intention Easily by Toei CriticalThinker, but not in a Parody Sense.

Parodies are mostly for comic effect only, so while their has been comical effect with Ribrianne and the Magical Girls IMO it is not different then the levels we see in other Magical Girl shows like Sailor Moon or Precure or even the Comical Levels we see from DB Characters themselves.

What I think Ribrianne and U2 is is a Homage to Toei's Magical Girl History and to Finally include their Biggest Legacy product outside of Dragon Ball into the Dragon Ball Mythos. Remember Toei is the House that Built the Magical Girl Legacy the most. They own and distribute BOTH Sailor Moon and the Precure/Pretty Cure line that are MEGA Franchise and Cash Cows for Toei just like Dragon Ball is.

So why Magical Girls are in Dragon Ball makes sense since both are own and created by Toei, both are their Mega Franchises and Ribrianne is a Homage to Magical Girls in a Dragon Ball Style that Toei wanted to final include in the DB Mythos to Homage one of its franchise just like the Pride Troopers are a Homage to Super Sentai! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Remember also too that Precure/Pretty Cure Shows took Allot of Dragon Ball Styles of Fighting and Animation and put it into their Magical Girl Characters and Battles with Epic Results! So Dragon Ball just entered into the Magical Girl Worlds with Precure/Pretty Cure, Ribrianne and the Fireballs are sharing of Magical Girls in the DB Worlds, an exchange of ideas by Toei if you would. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CiqeAwXEAk

Didn't view them as being a homage more as a parody due to not really knowing much about the magical girl genre. All I know is that whenever the girl transforms she turns out more beautiful, which is why when I saw Ribrianne transform I assumed she was a parody as she does the opposite. Who knows could be both though. Also didn't know Toei owned Sailor moon or Precure, never really payed much attention to those shows so that neat to know.
    I can understand why that be you might have viewed it that way as more of a parody then a Homage CriticalThinker, so it makes sense you coming to that view before you truly knew about Toei's Magical Girl History. While I think Toei did include parody jokes as part of their character, honest they did that with nearly all their homage characters in this ToP are, it is adding self humor and basic all the time funny like Anime's always should do. I think and while we can fully know this is what toei was going for, that the Ideal of Ribrianne has been a Self-Powering for Girls in the ideals of beauty as some and I myself have seen her say it put direct to the ideal of what counts as beauty and it should not just be always skinny and think.

For me Women Skinny or Large does not determine a women's beauty and I am glad Toei put the ideals that in Universe 2 that to be a case as well that when Brianne became Ribrianne and Larger she was seen as more beautiful putting that ideal of beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the main philosophy.

In the end it is good for Fans to be Reminded to that Toei is a VERY LARGE Production house and they have built a Legacy of Magical Girls Bigger and Better then all other production house combined! So I think by that view is why they gave time to Brianne's development in the ToP Anime and I hope with that legacy they in the Next DB Series bring her and her friends back and develop her further cause of that legacy.

Finally why did Brianne not go further in the ToP is likely cause the ToP became more about U7 then most else to right the wrongs of the past with how characters in U7 got treated and to have them shine more. The New Characters this was just their intro, they will shine more and get more development and stronger if Toei is serious about using them in the next serious.

That is my view on it.
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 am

CriticalThinker[/b], so it makes sense you coming to that view before you truly knew about Toei's Magical Girl History. While I think Toei did include parody jokes as part of their character, honest they did that with nearly all their homage characters in this ToP are, it is adding self humor and basic all the time funny like Anime's always should do. I think and while we can fully know this is what toei was going for, that the Ideal of Ribrianne has been a Self-Powering for Girls in the ideals of beauty as some and I myself have seen her say it put direct to the ideal of what counts as beauty and it should not just be always skinny and think.

For me Women Skinny or Large does not determine a women's beauty and I am glad Toei put the ideals that in Universe 2 that to be a case as well that when Brianne became Ribrianne and Larger she was seen as more beautiful putting that ideal of beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the main philosophy.

In the end it is good for Fans to be Reminded to that Toei is a VERY LARGE Production house and they have built a Legacy of Magical Girls Bigger and Better then all other production house combined! So I think by that view is why they gave time to Brianne's development in the ToP Anime and I hope with that legacy they in the Next DB Series bring her and her friends back and develop her further cause of that legacy.

Finally why did Brianne not go further in the ToP is likely cause the ToP became more about U7 then most else to right the wrongs of the past with how characters in U7 got treated and to have them shine more. The New Characters this was just their intro, they will shine more and get more development and stronger if Toei is serious about using them in the next serious.

That is my view on it.[/quote]
    I like that view and those posts explaining universe of love roots made me understand better, I wasn’t expecting some focus in u2 in the manga and now I’m curious in case that happen

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 am

I wonder what power ups from the anime will be in the manga, apart from UI obviously.

Freeza9000
    Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 am

buutenks wrote:I wonder what power ups from the anime will be in the manga, apart from UI obviously.
    Gohan Blanco 100 por ciento.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
    buutenks wrote:I wonder what power ups from the anime will be in the manga, apart from UI obviously.
    Gohan Blanco 100 por ciento.
    Ah the White Rice meme.

Anywho, i saw the raw chapter, and i was right, the manga will handle things much better than the anime. Power scaling is good, Goku isnt retardedly holding back ssj for some reason and even Jiren is fighting.

Cipher
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 am

So, chapter 33:

It's good. It's fun!

There were a number of little character bits I liked. Kuririn's gag with Kame-Sennin's inability to fly goes on a beat too long, but all the early pacing is solid. "It's just like the old days; have to stay in the ring" is a good prelude to a climax, and even the banter surrounding Jiren—"I honestly can't read his chi well ... but he's definitely different from the others." "We'll have to watch our backs."—is fun DB-esque setup. I chuckled out loud at the Caulfila-Magetta bit, as well as half the team zipping away from Gohan. Solid, quick, not overbearing character-based humor.

When the action starts, it actually feels frenzied, with everyone throwing themselves into a different small bit of chaos, and it has a nice compromise between montage and distinct, snappy action scenes while the field is cleared of weaker fighters. Importantly, once this is done, there's also the promise of shit hitting the proverbial fan soon enough.

Without every fighter needing to wait for their spotlight episode against U7, it's free of the feeling the rest of the tournament pauses as well, or that characters are inactive, and it's a lively start to what feels much more like a reasonable start to a climactic arc here than in the anime. Excited to see the next chapter, and I think I'd have been excited to read this one independent of the anime existing at all.

I think my only issue might be that the non-battle-maniac characters still seem a little glib about the whole thing (really just in the Beerus-Champa bit here). But with the snappy pacing, it's easy to not dwell on.

The Patrolman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
    Nickolaidas wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Toyotaro is using the anime to his advantage by knowing what the fans hated and works to change that?

I mean so far, the biggest complaints were Kale acting like a scared little girl, Ribrianne acting like a clown of LOVELOVELOVELOVE, Jiren standing there, doing/saying nothing and the general pace of the ToP. Toyotaro seems to be working on all those fronts. Kale looks like a silent badass, Ribrianne seems more serious, Jiren is doing stuff from the get go and the fodder seem to be dispatched almost immediately.

I can't help but feel that Toyotaro made a list of the fandom's complaints (assuming our co-fans from the land of the Rising Sun have more or less the same issues) and worked on them one by one.
    Really? I thought the biggest complain regarding Kale was that she was a shameless homage of Broly.
    Thats my main issue
    The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 am

I don't remembr this interview being posted,but it's kinda relevant to the current discussion.
    . Ok, for starters, this interview was made back in 2017, apparrently just before the end of Black Goku Saga, so don't think you'll find more info about ToP.

Now, the first questions are about Toyotaro, how and why he was chosen to work on the manga, and whether he cooperates with AT while drawing the manga. Toyo replies stating that he simply asked shueisha if he could work with them, at first they "tested" him by letting him take care of the videogame Dragon Ball Heroes: victory mission, and after 3 months he was moved to the DBS section. AT usually only outlines the general plot of an arc, while he takes care of the storyboard. All the dialogues and minor plot points are also made mostly by Toyo. One of the few exceptions to this is the first scene of DBS, with Goku looking bored, because AT himself asked him to draw Goku that way, to make it clear that our hero doesn't want to work. Overall, Toyo's goal is to make DBS's style to look similar to DBZ, but he also wants it to be original. He also says that according to AT the manga should be first of all entertaining.

Toyo then gives us more info about his experience while drawing the manga. For instance he tells us that the most difficult panel to draw was when Mai was hit by Black. It was hard to draw trunk's face,his emotions, because he had just lost his mother, and there was this new enemy before him, so he was kinda angry and sad at the same time. He talks about Skinny SSG Goku, stating that it was AT's will to draw him like this, and toyo thinks it's hard to draw him. SSBlue is easier to draw because it's bascially ssj with blue hair.

He then talks about his personal realationship with the dragon ball franchise. He watched DB as a kid, and even now he watches DBSuper. He acts like a fan,wondering how strong goku is,if he is stronger tahn a certain chracte or not etc, and would like to listen to fans' opinions, but he doesn't get the chance too. He also recalls how when he was a kid he was attending a party, and he was angry because he couldn't be the DB episode, the one when gohan destroys raditz's pod.
    He says his favourite chracter is goku, but his favourite fight is gotenks vs buu because its funny, while SSJ4 and SSJBlue's design are his favourite

He concludes stating how he mostly learned how to draw on his own. He also uses a secret method to paint: he draws a sketch with his pencil, then has it printed using blue color,then he adds the ink. He says Bakkuman influenced him in his youth, while now he likes Boku No Heo. He also adds he met some italian artist and took interest in them.

I left out a few question about how Black saga ends, because now we know its end already. Also yeah he states how SSB Vegeta vs Beerus is controversial
    Now to the topic,I think one of the reasons toyotaro's gags are more toriyama like is that he has mentioned that he is fan of toriyama since Dr. Slump.
    Jiren seems to have god ki,so may be hit might have god ki too or I at least hope him to be mssb level.
    Why power levels are important?
    The genre and roots of dragon ball

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 am

The gr wrote:I've been hearing rumors about the manga is gonna truly end in 8 volume if that's real then it will end in the next 7 chapters :shock:.
      Also the last volume included an extended Vegito vs Zamasu maybe this Volume will include an extended battle of Ft trunks Vs Zamas that is unfusing, I would love to see that heck i have a feeling that it will happen in the special edition cover.
      Shut up,I want it to have at least 10 chapters.
      Why power levels are important?
      The genre and roots of dragon ball