"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Kanassa wrote:How much screen time has Bulma gotten in the manga? Is it near the same as Gohan?
She's in it considerably more than Gohan, he's in it for like 3-5 pages max.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:How much screen time has Bulma gotten in the manga? Is it near the same as Gohan?
That's how much toriyama cares for gohan :lol: , This is surreal, here's the reason why the DBS manga needed to include rof because it at Least feature gohan and the z figthers.Bulma got decent screentime in the Manga
Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 pm

The gr wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
That's how much toriyama cares for gohan :lol: , This is surreal, here's the reason why the DBS manga needed to include rof because it at Least feature gohan and the z figthers.Bulma got decent screentime in the Manga
It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: She's in it considerably more than Gohan, he's in it for like 3-5 pages max.
It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.
And is just sad :| , Why toriyama didn't include him in the outline,is just hard to hear those words, toriyama better make up mind for the next Saga

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

The gr wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote: That's how much toriyama cares for gohan :lol: , This is surreal, here's the reason why the DBS manga needed to include rof because it at Least feature gohan and the z figthers.Bulma got decent screentime in the Manga
And is just sad :| , Why toriyama didn't include him in the outline,is just hard to hear those words, toriyama better make up mind for the next Saga
Let just hope the Zen Exhibition Matches, as well as the recruitment episodes, happen in the manga, too

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I feel Zamasu lacked a lot of the presence he had in the anime.... in the anime it truly felt like he was making an ascension into ultimate divine strength.
Eh. Zamas was always presented as out of his league, and it's hammered home when Beerus easily eliminates him. Also when Vegeto beats the shit out of him and he flips out. He's a punk that thinks too highly of himself. He isn't supposed to look cool or "divine" (considering that he spent his last bit of screentime as a hulked up purple slime man thing). I'd say the fact that the anime put so much into making him look cool is just another instance of it being scatterbrained and getting its priorities skewed. The manga did a good job by not hyping up.
Boo Machine wrote:Many many words
I feel like I've adequately explained my views. I would just be restating them for a third time, and that kind of circular discussion just isn't fun for those browsing the thread, probably. If you wanna continue this, feel free to PM me.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
The gr wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It also really puts into perspective how much the anime is willing to give Gohan more screentime.
Let just hope the Zen Exhibition Matches, as well as the recruitment episodes, happen in the manga, too
the exhibition matches they need to happen, but for recruitment,they better rushed them, because the anime is making them boring and padded out, + all of the recruitment eps, like doujo and poachers just scream filler, I think this continuity will deliver a story that is not padded out.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Toei has been trying to make Gohan look important, they even added in his training way before Toriyama added it in

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:25 pm

No way, Bulma's a prominent figure in the Super manga. She had her adventure to Zuno's realm with Jaco, and she's been an important expositor in the Zamasu arc.
The gr wrote:And is just sad :| , Why toriyama didn't include him in the outline,is just hard to hear those words, toriyama better make up mind for the next Saga
Gohan just wants to have a family and do research. Why can't his fans support his dreams? Anyway, it seems he'll be doing something this arc.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 pm

batistabus wrote:.
The gr wrote:And is just sad :| , Why toriyama didn't include him in the outline,is just hard to hear those words, toriyama better make up mind for the next Saga
Gohan just wants to have a family and do research. Why can't his fans support his dreams? Anyway, it seems he'll be doing something this arc.
I'm supporting his dream,I'm one of those few people that liked gohan from DBZ to DBS, I'm just disappointed that he didn't even talked to trunks

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:23 am

The gr wrote:I'm supporting his dream,I'm one of those few people that liked gohan from DBZ to DBS, I'm just disappointed that he didn't even talked to trunks
Honestly, so am I. It's still possible that they'll have some sort of interaction when they return to the past.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: From the plot-hole that is Goku's base form power.

Because Toriyama wrote the Battle of Gods & Resurrection "F" movies. In this continuity, Goku's & Vegeta base forms had the power of SSG, their Super Saiyan forms were permanently turned into Super Saiyan Blue, and they abandoned Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, and Super Saiyan God. Then he wrote the next story arcs (Universe 6 arc, Future Trunks arc, Universe Survival arc) as continuations of these movies.

Toyotaro retconned this for Goku & Vegeta, and eliminated the base with SSG power state, keeping them in their regular levels, and having them use SS, SS2, SS3, SSG, and SSB. Apparently forgot to do the same to Black, because he is obviously a Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God (although originaly weakened due to the body change), and his Super Saiyan form eventually evolved into Super Saiyan Rose, like Goku's & Vegeta's Super Saiyan forms evolved into Super Saiyan Blue between the 2 movies.

Toei on the other hand are either kept Goku & Vegeta as Saiyans with the power of Super Saiyan God, but sometimes they throw them back to their regular levels with their regular Super Saiyan forms.

Finally, both Toyotaro & Toei are now treating Super Saiyan Blue as a form beyond Super Saiyan (God), while in the movie it was treated as an altered regular Super Saiyan form.

And that's the reason things are messed up & theories like the 2 base theory are needed to fix the plot-hole that was created ever since BoG came out.
They didn't abandon it at all. It was never said in Resurrection 'F' that their 'god power' was always on. All Goku said was that he mastered god ki. In the movie, everyone sensed base form Goku so no god ki was used. Also, Toryama said that Goku may not used those other Super Saiyan forms again, not that Goku couldn't. Also, even in the movie it was said that Goku took the power of Super Saiyan God, not that his base was actual Super Saiyan God.

Toei never throw them back to their regular level, or whatever that is. Unless you think after all their training their base is still only at Battle of Gods' level, which makes no sense even if you believe in the two-base theory.

The movie didn't treat Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as an 'altered regular Super Saiyan form'. It treated it as Super Saiyan with god ki, the same way the anime and manga treats it. They just explained it more and call it beyond Super Saiyan God, which the movie more or less implied.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Minor complaint but they way Toyo handles the Potara retcon was very poor, it was one of those "let's have someone conveniently say something important so our protagonists overhear" cliches, had Vegeta not been there that moment then everyone probably would have been obliterated.

But man I do freaking love his Merged Zamasu design! Really wish he would have sent that design to Toei and be like here use this.

Toyo next chapter should make Trunks go Ikari and have the Spirit Sword at the same time.... :P But seriously I think he will have Zamasu defuse have Trunks take out drained Black, Zamasu proves to be too much with his immortality and they call Zen-Oh. Let's just hope Toyo remembers to draw Trunks next chapter in the least...
Personally glad he didn't. Like Zamasu and Black, I don't like how the manga draw Merged Zamasu.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 am

OLKv3 wrote:Toei has been trying to make Gohan look important, they even added in his training way before Toriyama added it in
Well, maybe they shouldn't have, because in this new arc he is still not ready.
Heno heno kappa!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am

HeroR wrote:They didn't abandon it at all. It was never said in Resurrection 'F' that their 'god power' was always on. All Goku said was that he mastered god ki. In the movie, everyone sensed base form Goku so no god ki was used.
I never said that Goku & Vegeta had god ki in base. Goku & Vegeta never had god ki in their base/SS forms, ever. They had the power of SSG, but without god ki.
Also, Toryama said that Goku may not used those other Super Saiyan forms again, not that Goku couldn't.
I never said that Goku couldn't use SS2/3/God. He can use them, but he abanoned them.
Also, even in the movie it was said that Goku took the power of Super Saiyan God, not that his base was actual Super Saiyan God.
I never said that either. His base form simply made SSG useless, as Toriyama pointed out.
Toei never throw them back to their regular level, or whatever that is.
Is this why we see base Goku comparable to base Gohan & Kuririn in one episode, and then strong enough to fight with a powered-up Majin Boo at full power in the next?
The movie didn't treat Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as an 'altered regular Super Saiyan form'. It treated it as Super Saiyan with god ki, the same way the anime and manga treats it. They just explained it more and call it beyond Super Saiyan God, which the movie more or less implied.
Toriyama didn't even name the transformation, and Vegeta even calls it the "legendary Super Saiyan" in the movie. Goku says that it's Super Saiyan, but a bit different, not that it's a form beyond Super Saiyan.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:12 pm

I didn't read the whole translated chapter yet, but Gowasu is still dead?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I didn't read the whole translated chapter yet, but Gowasu is still dead?
Present Gowas is very much alive and was only mortally wounded by Black.

Rhuagh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Guys, Resurrection 'F' is not in the Super manga because Toyotaro already did the manga adaptation as promotion to the film 2 months before Super began. There are 3 chapters and it covers the resurrection of Freeza, the Z Fighters x Freeza Army battle and the beginning of Goku x Freeza.

If you want to see Gohan drawn by Toyotaro in detail, search for it, the art is great.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Rhuagh wrote:Guys, Resurrection 'F' is not in the Super manga because Toyotaro already did the manga adaptation as promotion to the film 2 months before Super began. There are 3 chapters and it covers the resurrection of Freeza, the Z Fighters x Freeza Army battle and the beginning of Goku x Freeza.

If you want to see Gohan drawn by Toyotaro in detail, search for it, the art is great.
I thought it was because it was a retread of things already established in the movie & he wanted to get ahead, since the manga's only a monthly release.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Rhuagh wrote:Guys, Resurrection 'F' is not in the Super manga because Toyotaro already did the manga adaptation as promotion to the film 2 months before Super began. There are 3 chapters and it covers the resurrection of Freeza, the Z Fighters x Freeza Army battle and the beginning of Goku x Freeza.

I thought it was because it was a retread of things already established in the movie & he wanted to get ahead, since the manga's only a monthly release.
It's arguably both, but I'd wager the fact that he'd just drawn most of the movie had more to do with it not being part of the Super Manga
Retired.