"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 am

HeroR wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:The added bomb tidbit is a dumb change.
According to the manga, it was Krillin's kindness in removing the bomb that changed 17,
Yeah I misunderstood it, I love it now

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 am

HeroR wrote:
According to the manga, it was Krillin's kindness in removing the bomb that changed 17,
That's what changed 17?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:23 am

Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That's what changed 17?
According to the Super manga, yes. He was moved by Krillin using the Dragon Balls to wish away his bomb for no personal gain.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 am

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That's what changed 17?
According to the Super manga, yes. He was moved by Krillin using the Dragon Balls to wish away his bomb for no personal gain.
The flashback was pretty nice too

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:29 am

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That's what changed 17?
I always prefered the interpretation that he changed because Cell humiliated him...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 am

The way Vegeta and Piccolo talks about Gohan, makes me think it will me Gohan who wins ToP.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:56 am

Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote: That's what changed 17?
I always prefered the interpretation that he changed because Cell humiliated him...
I think both work for different reasons. One isn't better than the other.

As for this chapter as a whole, I personally liked it. It was a little on the boring side since a lot of the plot points were the same as the anime, like Goku and 17's talk was almost 1:1 to the point that I think Toriyama personally wrote the scene. I also like that the pacing is faster since this where the anime began to drag, although I personally like the Krillin vs. Goku and Gohan fights in the anime. I also liked the Goku 'I never considered myself as a hero' speech. But I do loved that Toyo added that part about Krillin being a great cook.

As for what I didn't like, Goku comes off as a bit stupid thinking that a mask made someone more powerful and it feels really contrived to get Goku and 17 to fight since 17 thinks he's a poacher instead of Goku just testing him like the anime. The fight itself was also really subpar and how did Goku teleport since he can't sense 17's ki? And why is Goku lying about the TOP? Goku is known for being blunt and I prefer the anime where Gohan told him to lie and he was truthful when left to his own devices. But I guess this does make more sense when everyone learns the truth and they're mad at Goku.

Speaking of which, although the manga made it much more apparent that Goku saved everyone by talking to Zen'o, the people in the manga still blames him including his friends like Mr. Popo and Piccolo. Piccolo is interesting since he was excited when he learned the stakes of the tournament while here, he's more annoyed. I wonder why Toyo is going in this direction when he went out of his way to show that Goku holds no blame.

Another interesting note, Dende called Uub by name and Goku said he will remember it. And, so happy that the moving Lookout is in both versions.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:10 am

After reading the translation,I am liking manga version better.Marron acts like a child not a toddler,17 change's reason works overall I am liking it more.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:39 am

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
And why is Goku lying about the TOP? Goku is known for being blunt and I prefer the anime where Gohan told him to lie and he was truthful when left to his own devices. But I guess this does make more sense when everyone learns the truth and they're mad at Goku.
Beerus told Goku to lie about the ToP. It shows a recap of this when he lies to 18. In the anime Goku also tried to lie to 17, but just like here, it didn't work so Goku told him the truth

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 am

OLKv3 wrote: Beerus told Goku to lie about the ToP. It shows a recap of this when he lies to 18. In the anime Goku also tried to lie to 17, but just like here, it didn't work so Goku told him the truth
Oh. The text was so small I didn't read it. That's the one thing I hate about reading online.
Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 am

Good chapter.

A few notes to make:

- The Mr Satan/Cell flashback was really pointless. And I'd even go as far as say it was watse of pages that could have gone to fleshing out Goku's battle with #17
- Krillin being a good chef is a nice addition
- Goku having to lie to friends about the true circumstances of the Tournament Of Power out of fear that they may not compete if they knew what was at stake is so fucking dumb. Didn't like it in the anime and I don't like it in the manga.
- I'm a little mixed on seeing Oob at this point in the story. One on hand, it's nice to see him make an appearance. But on the other, I feel he show have been saved for if the story reaches the point at which he originally debuts to retain some of his mystique.
- The idea that Goku thinks that #17 would wear a mask is pretty dumb, if not also a little funny.
- Goku's conversation with #17 is identical to that of the anime, which is good. But what I really enjoyed about their conversation in the manga was the nod towards Krillin deactivating the bombs inside of #17 and #18, and how #17 felt he owed him one for that. That was a nice callback.
- I felt the #17/Goku fight was way too under-cooked. It ends almost as soon as it begins. The anime version of the fight was vastly superior.
- Yamcha not being in the team was handled a hell of a lot better in the manga. In the anime, it just seemed long, cruel joke that forget what the punchline would be. Here, Yamcha was on the verge of being considered, but it was only pure misfortune that prevented him from potentially getting on the team.
- Man, the manga is really downplaying Gohan. Toyotaro must have something huge planned for him. I'm expecting him to regain his Ultimate form and then fight evenly with SSJB Goku, just like in the anime.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 am

The only thing I flat out dislike is the reasoning behind Goku lying. He and his allies have been playing that game since they were teenagers. The scale is different, granted but every since the Saiyan invasion they all ran the risk of being gone for good and still went at it.

There`s no need for Goku to babysit any of them expect the actual children.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:23 am

Hopefully next chapter is gohan training with piccolo and goku recruiting freeza.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:51 pm

A good chapter.
    Is been a while we didn't see Mr satan in the manga so is good seeing him again.I like how toyotaro is not rushing the recruitment while is short,is paced well glad those day of rushing plot point are done for.
      I don't like Goku lying about the stakes here,is just dumb.
        Uub appearing makes me happy,it truly show that super is going pass to the EOZ one day.
          #17 appears,goku gag was kinda funny while forced and their scuffle was too short just when is about to get good,the anime did it better however #17 reasoning of entering the tournament is way better here,i really liked the nod of krillin removing the bomb and #17 mentioning he own him one,i really need a scene where #17 saves krillin.
            Lastly i'm also liking the direction of gohan,the buildup of goku vs gohan will be good if that happens.I enjoyed this chapter a lot,really show toyotaro have been improving with the pacing a little bit.
              Side note,the yamcha joke is not here.
              Mostly active on discord.

Doctor.
              Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Great chapter, the arc has had a much better start than the anime thus far.
              The gr wrote:Side note,the yamcha joke is not here.
              It was.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Doctor. wrote: It was.
              At least he wasn't forgotten rather due to a misfortune he didn't enter,i will take that.
              Mostly active on discord.

TheUltimateNinja
              I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 pm

I can't wait for Tenshinhan to prove his worth in the manga, really earn his spot on the team.

fadeddreams5
              Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:08 pm

I really hope the manga keeps it up. It's so much better than the anime so far. And mind you, I preferred the anime's take on the Goku Black arc.
              "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
              Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:I can't wait for Tenshinhan to prove his worth in the manga, really earn his spot on the team.
              I, too, wonder if this time he'll get a punch in on Hermila before losing.

TheUltimateNinja
              I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - Man, the manga is really downplaying Gohan. Toyotaro must have something huge planned for him. I'm expecting him to regain his Ultimate form and then fight evenly with SSJB Goku, just like in the anime.
              I'd be seriously shocked, maybe it'll happen in his dreams when SSGod Goku effortlessly knocks him out.
              Doctor. wrote:
              TheUltimateNinja wrote:I can't wait for Tenshinhan to prove his worth in the manga, really earn his spot on the team.
              I, too, wonder if this time he'll get a punch in on Hermila before losing.
              He'll probably get offscreened or unceremoniously thrown out with other fodders.