"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 am

mute_proxy wrote:
I can't find anything indicating she had no memory being inside Cell in the manga. Not sure about the anime. After she woke up, she was surprised to find out that Gohan defeated Cell (he did it while she was unconscious on the ground), that's all, nothing about her time during being absorbed. So Toyo isn't really contradicting anything is he?
She was shocked to hear that Gohan destroyed Cell, which shouldn't be that much of a shocked if she was conscious when Gohan lost it and went Super Saiyan 2. So it is an oversight in a way, but you can handwave it.
MR.Mark wrote:I'm fine with Uub being shown/mentioned in new material. With the existence of all these Gods and such there's no need to keep Uub such a mystery. If anything, this improves the original manga because I rather Majin Buu not be THAT important that ten years after his defeat he's still that big of a deal. There's other factors for Goku wanting to train Uub that I'm sure we'll get into, and not just because at the time the Buu arc was the last arc Toriyama wrote.

I also like that Toyo put in a legit film version of Mr Satan kicking Cell's ass. Not only does it visually look more funny but it makes way more sense in universe. Satan is a rich man and beloved by the world. He would make sure a film studio would make a visually great film adaption of him saving the world.
Can't really agree. The film during the World Martial Arts Tournament was a surprised to him and he knew nothing about it. He is also somewhat ashamed at what he did, which is why he was so embarrassed about the film. It wasn't because it was low budget.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 am

Well yeah I get the ashamed part, but he also gets put on the spot a lot due to his fame. So if a studio approached Satan to make a Cell games film, I doubt Satan would allow it to be poorly made.(let alone telling them the truth) It makes little sense for the film to be made behind his back, but it was just a throw away gag filler scene in the Buu arc, Toyo at least put thought into his version.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am

HeroR wrote:She was shocked to hear that Gohan destroyed Cell, which shouldn't be that much of a shocked if she was conscious when Gohan lost it and went Super Saiyan 2. So it is an oversight in a way, but you can handwave it.
I don't think being absorbed can be explained with simple reason and logic as to "you knew what was going on, you should'nt be surprised with the outcome". It still was a kid, I think it's natural to be surprised. The whole experience probably felt like a bad dream to her, then she snapped back to reality.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am

MR.Mark wrote:Well yeah I get the ashamed part, but he also gets put on the spot a lot due to his fame. So if a studio approached Satan to make a Cell games film, I doubt Satan would allow it to be poorly made. It makes little sense for the film to be made behind his back, but it was just a throw away gag filler scene in the Buu arc, Toyo at least put thought into his version.
He would probably say no because he's 'humble'. And it was thought put in the anime gag, Toyo just decided to take the gag in a different direction.
mute_proxy wrote:
I don't think being absorbed can be explained with simple reason and logic as to "you knew what was going on, you should'nt be surprised with the outcome". It still was a kid, I think it's natural to be surprised. The whole experience probably felt like a bad dream to her, then she snapped back to reality.
17 wasn't, so I'm not sure why the same can't be applied to 18. And that kid had a chance to kill Cell and decided not to to make him suffer, she was conscious for that part.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 am

Eh, Mr Satan kinda has this understanding with the real heros. Where they alow him to be seen as a hero because they don't care,(unlikely heros) and it's his bread and butter. Goku's family in turn gets financial help whenever they need it from Satan. So it's obvious that Satan isn't proud of those lies, but he kinda has no choice most of the time. So again, I like the Super manga's version of the Cell game film way better in universe, it makes sense.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

HeroR wrote:
17 wasn't, so I'm not sure why the same can't be applied to 18. And that kid had a chance to kill Cell and decided not to to make him suffer, she was conscious for that part.
You're saying that physical and psychological stress, getting punched out/spit out, snapping out of unconsciousness and so on means nothing and that 18's reaction on the spot, right after she wakes up after these events, being surprised that a kid won, should be accounted for the same as 17 remembering the events after >10 years of time for all that to settle in? I disagree.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am

HeroR wrote:She was shocked to hear that Gohan destroyed Cell, which shouldn't be that much of a shocked if she was conscious when Gohan lost it and went Super Saiyan 2. So it is an oversight in a way, but you can handwave it.
When exactly?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am

Professor Freeza wrote:I dont see any worth for Uub anymore. Goku has reached the level of GoD's. Him training Uub really wont change the Status Qou. AT BEST even Uub comes to the level of the Gods. Then what? We already saw like almost no Universe comes close to the level of even Piccolo.. much less someone like Goku...
Goku trained Uub because he needed a good fighting partner, not to change anything.

Vegeta said that exact same thing.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 am

So I do not know Korean. But apparently on this page, Hercule is saying that 10 years have passed since the fight against Cell? I read some people say that.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That supposedly would create an incoherence in the chronology of the series, right? Could anyone confirm?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:So I do not know Korean. But apparently on this page, Hercule is saying that 10 years have passed since the fight against Cell? I read some people say that.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That supposedly would create an incoherence in the chronology of the series, right? Could anyone confirm?
That has to be fake. There is no way it has only been 3 years since the Buu saga. The dragon balls have been used twice and bra and pan have both been born and its been 9 months, so unless the manga has retconned the movies timeline.

Ah I don't care, dragon ball and numbers have never gone well together.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 am

This whole #17 only knowing Goku's voice and not having heard it in a long time was always a problem of Toriyama's own making.
Babidi broadcasted Goku vs Fat Buu to the entire world, so there really should be no issue and no comment from #17 on how it's been so long, unless he has a stupid perception of time.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

JulianStyles wrote:Good to see the manga is fixing the travesty and disrespect for characters and known power scale that the anime has done. Toriyama gives suggestions, changes things and proof reads Toyotaros manga before it finalized. This is the true canon of Super.
In your opinion

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am

Totamo wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:I dont see any worth for Uub anymore. Goku has reached the level of GoD's. Him training Uub really wont change the Status Qou. AT BEST even Uub comes to the level of the Gods. Then what? We already saw like almost no Universe comes close to the level of even Piccolo.. much less someone like Goku...
Goku trained Uub because he needed a good fighting partner, not to change anything.

d

Uub shouldnt be a better fighting partner than Pan for Goku. Pan is literally the Daughter of Gohan. Uub doesnt actually hold a candle to her in potential. I was never sold on Uub and now i see his need even less.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Totamo wrote:

d

Uub shouldnt be a better fighting partner than Pan for Goku. Pan is literally the Daughter of Gohan. Uub doesnt actually hold a candle to her in potential. I was never sold on Uub and now i see his need even less.
Being the daughter of Gohan or the granddaughter of the mc doesn’t really mean anything.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Totamo wrote:

d

You do realize uub is the reincarnation of kid buu right? you could argue he's born with kid buu level power which at the time of the buu saga was on par with ss3 goku. Not to mention since Golden Freeza, the whole "prodigy" thing has taken off even more than before. Goku probably thinks he can get this kid of ridiculous heights in a short time not to mention uub has nothing else going on for him, pan still has to go to school and live with parents, goku can't just take her and fuck off to the woods, plus if i was goku i'm not going to trust that any hybrid saiyan is gonna be interested in training for the long haul.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:23 am

My god I hate uub.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:So I do not know Korean. But apparently on this page, Hercule is saying that 10 years have passed since the fight against Cell? I read some people say that.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Google Translate "confirms" it. But I don't see any reason to believe that he's saying specifically 10 years ago. In English it's very possible to say that something happened 10 years ago even though it happened 13 years ago. That's called rounding off. Korean/Japanese just might work similarly.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 am

dbgtFO wrote:This whole #17 only knowing Goku's voice and not having heard it in a long time was always a problem of Toriyama's own making.
Babidi broadcasted Goku vs Fat Buu to the entire world, so there really should be no issue and no comment from #17 on how it's been so long, unless he has a stupid perception of time.
i don't remember that at all.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:39 am

Oob is the reincarnation of Majin-Boo. You can’t have someone like him using his power the wrong way.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:45 am

Totamo wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:This whole #17 only knowing Goku's voice and not having heard it in a long time was always a problem of Toriyama's own making.
i don't remember that at all.
Babidi uses magic to telepathically speak to the world, demanding information on Trunks, Goten and Piccolo. Don't remember anyhting about him brodcasting visuals of Goku's fight to them.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017