"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Huh, I thought "Goku is terrible dad" thing was discussion that only western fans had. Didn't realize fans in Japan share that sentiment too. Which isn't too surprising. Parents are universal

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:41 pm

pacz360 wrote:Difference is it was only goten he said he missed in the anime so it was alright but to add the fact he missed his first born son as well in the manga? Fuck outta here with that shit seems unnecessary as hell especially vegeta trying to play the moral high ground crap Plus add more goku is a shit father crap meme that god forbid need to be alive
It's true tho. Vegeta as of late has been a good father. Goku giving Vegeta bad father advice RIGHT NOW to miss his kid's birth is an example of bad fatherhood.
Vegeta WANTS to be there for his kid's birth so he called Goku out on it. It isn't hypocrisy if Vegeta has stopped the bad father act. Which he has. But Goku still showed his.
Also, Goku missing Gohan's birth is a fact. We never seen him there at the birth, was it stated that Goku WAS there for Gohan's entrance? So Toriyama can easily say Goku wasn't there.
You people are blowing this petty statement way out of proportion. The statement is typical Goku, putting fighting over everything else.
Rhuagh wrote:Vegeta is very much in character. He is the biggest jerk, especially towards Goku. Doesn't mean he is right, doesn't mean the author wants you to think he is right.
You get it.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Huh, I thought "Goku is terrible dad" thing was discussion that only western fans had. Didn't realize fans in Japan share that sentiment too. Which isn't too surprising. Parents are universal
It isn't as widespread or taken as seriously. Goku actually was on a favorite father of the year poll in Japan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:Huh, I thought "Goku is terrible dad" thing was discussion that only western fans had. Didn't realize fans in Japan share that sentiment too. Which isn't too surprising. Parents are universal
It isn't as widespread or taken as seriously. Goku actually was on a favorite father of the year poll in Japan.
Interesting. Even if was taking seriously I doubt it would stop Goku from being popular.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Now we have to wait for another month :yawn: cant say impressed with this month.Next month need that reunion with The gods like in PV & one exhibition match,maybe have a 3vs1 match just to introduce the other Brothers.Of course The outcome that is likely is having one match with u9 in a 1v1 & toppo interfering
Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm

The manga should be cancelled. It's nothing more than fanfiction at this point.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm

precita wrote:The manga should be cancelled. It's nothing more than fanfiction at this point.
You're half right, Super should be canceled and the rights to make any more Dragon Ball fired into the sun.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm

precita wrote:The manga should be cancelled. It's nothing more than fanfiction at this point.
Manga is something that sells well and is praised throughout the community; but sure, they should definitely cancel. \s
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:and is praised throughout the community
More like a majority hate and/or ignore its existence entirely.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:19 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
You're half right, Super should be canceled and the rights to make any more Dragon Ball fired into the sun.
:lol: this man speak the truth
    when people say the manga is fanfic, I just facepalm and say isn't super in general like this,that criticism is a cop out
    Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
    My personally feelings for the manga aside, it sells well, a lot of people enjoy, and likes having a different take on the anime. For some, it's their canon to Super and that's more than enough reason not to cancel it.
    Last edited by HeroR on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Kanassa wrote:
    Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mfwlegend3
    Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:25 pm

HeroR wrote:
    mfwlegend3 wrote:
    My personally feelings for the manga aside, it sells well and a lot of people enjoy and likes having a different take on the anime. For some, it's their can to Super and that's more than enough reason not to cancel it.
    I agree, I wouldn't want the manga cancelled. I enjoy it to a degree, but a large portion of the community really doesn't have favorable views on the manga with only a handful actually liking it in comparison. I really am curious to see what the Japanese fans think about it. I know some on 2ch have expressed the same kind of problems we do with the anime.

micah007
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:30 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
    HeroR wrote:
    mfwlegend3 wrote: More like a majority hate and/or ignore its existence entirely.
    My personally feelings for the manga aside, it sells well and a lot of people enjoy and likes having a different take on the anime. For some, it's their can to Super and that's more than enough reason not to cancel it.
    I agree, I wouldn't want the manga cancelled. I enjoy it to a degree, but a large portion of the community really doesn't have favorable views on the manga with only a handful actually liking it in comparison. I really am curious to see what the Japanese fans think about it. I know some on 2ch have expressed the same kind of problems we do with the anime.
    I really wonder how much of the dislike comes from the fact that the manga tends to smash headcanon and or firmly establish in-universe information, leaving little room for interpretation of content. I've seen a lot of hate for the current chapter mainly because it angered the 90% of the fandom who believed SSB Goku/Vegeta at this point was more than a match for a serious Beerus.

Totamo
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:32 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
    Totamo wrote: It was a dumb plan and You don't get credit for that. Why should he get credit for that? They got people killed including himself . This is like giving a participation award for doing the bare minimum and they sucked. All those plans proved was Goku was an idiot, who got extremely lucky 16 was there.
    First of all, I don't even know what your talking about right here, I thought we're talking about the Buu Saga.
    Also do you know Vegeta? He rather be crushed than pitied. He was far more angry that Goku tricked him into thinking he could win. Not to mention, Vegeta only did what he did to fight Goku. Yet Goku chose to fight him evenly and THREATEN someone just trying to do his job.
    "Vegeta only did what he did to fight Goku" You know how twisted that sounds right, so he knowingly put the Earth in Jeopardy, submit his mind to even a warlock knowing that would help his plans to revive an evil mosnter, and killed half a stadium full spectators to fight with Goku and satisfy his pride. All of these actions were out of Goku's control, the only action that was in his control was during his fight Vegeta, but that would be without major repercussions, when you take into account Vegeta's state of mind at the time and his track record of the following courses of actions he does after being humiliated.

Goku was directly responsible for both the Cell and Buu saga. And instead of fighting until he is barely breathing like he would have in ball, he throws it on children, more importantly his own children and it only made matters worse.
    You must mean Vegeta? As he let Andriod 18 be absorbed, and as I said before about Trunks and Goten, he had the right idea, though went at the wrong way of executing it. In theory it wasn't bad at all, though Majin Buu was too big of a villain for beginners like them to handle, on the flip side they almost beat him but unfortunately the fusion ran out. Moreover, it would be disingenuous to say the sole magnitude and responsibility to defeat Majin Buu was all there's, as they did have Piccolo for guidance and key resources at their disposal like the Timechamber with added bonus of already being prodigious Super Saiyans.
    Now Ball Goku didn't have this problem,a guy did something bad, he did everything he could to stop them even if he was weaker. He never put any problem on anyone else. More importantly, his actions never got anyone murdered. Did I also forget that he didn't let people go except one who really didn't do anything wrong.
    Two different stories really as Kid Goku was mainly entering in tournaments and traveling the world. Plus he was a child, you see things differently as a child, if anything Kid Goku was more reckless.
    You aren't getting it or maybe you don't want to. So I will make it simple. Vegeta is half the reason Buu is revived. Goku is the other half. He knowingly fought Vegeta evenly, when he could have defeated him and prevented all of this. His energy was what awoke Buu. No matter what reaction Vegeta would have had and no matter how bad he felt, its all irrelevant to the fact that the world is in danger and the only person that could prevent it all doesn't for no logical reason. Goku shouldn't care about Vegeta's emotions. He didn't care about Gohan's when he forced him to fight Cell who was depending on him. He didn't care about Bulma's who was crying when he refused to find Gero and prevent the apocalypse. He didn't care about Chichi's when he knowingly out their son in dnager and did it again.

And we find out that Vegeta was far more hurt knowing Goku, his rival, pitied him

Now I'm going tell you why Goku's plan was bad even in theory....Goku could have stopped Buu. No matter what, you say. It always come back to that one sentence. You are sitting there watching super buu kill everyone, gotenks goof off, Gohan being arrogant, kid buu blowing up the planet, vegeta on the verge of extinction and the only thought that comes to my mind is Goku could have stopped Buu. Why does Goten and Trunks have to do anything? Why does Piccolo need to do anything? Goku is here now and he can do it in less time. Then he could teach them how to fuse for future threats or train them in the time chamber.

It be like if Goku fought in his base, a fight that be easy in his super saiyan 1 form because he doesn't want to rely on his transformations. You know what everyone is complaining about the tournament right now. Yeah, you could say Goku should strengthen his base but why does he need to do that right now. He is wasting time and risking lives.

The main problem with Goku's plan in the Buu saga was that it wasn't needed for that problem.

Totamo
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm

The gr wrote:
    ekrolo2 wrote:
      when people say the manga is fanfic, I just facepalm and say isn't super in general like this,that criticism is a cop out
      There is a difference between a cashgrab and a fanfic, my friend.

LightBing
      I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm

HeroR wrote:
      LightBing wrote: From your understanding..., care to provide a source? I believe the chapter still hasn't been fully translated.
      Training at home is not the same as training with the guy who trains Hakaishins, that's a moot point.
      So, not training with Whis for a week or two is out of the question when his wife is about to have a baby? This isn't the same as going to work everyday.
      Again I ask where are you getting the week or two information? If it's anything like the anime, it's not any time soon and Whis will have to step in or Vegeta will refuse to participate in the tournament. Like the crappy parent he is...

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Totamo wrote:
      The gr wrote:
      ekrolo2 wrote: You're half right, Super should be canceled and the rights to make any more Dragon Ball fired into the sun.
        My friend The anime & manga is fanfic or some BS like that & DB was always a Cash grab
        Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm

micah007 wrote: I really wonder how much of the dislike comes from the fact that the manga tends to smash headcanon and or firmly establish in-universe information, leaving little room for interpretation of content. I've seen a lot of hate for the current chapter mainly because it angered the 90% of the fandom who believed SSB Goku/Vegeta at this point was more than a match for a serious Beerus.
        Not sure why it matters since the manga is it own canon and Toyo's interpretation of events. If he thinks Beerus smash Goku and Vegeta easily, that his business. You can just go by the anime that leaves it vague.

In either case, Goku and Vegeta will only equal or surpass Beerus when he gives the word.
        LightBing wrote:
        HeroR wrote:
        LightBing wrote: From your understanding..., care to provide a source? I believe the chapter still hasn't been fully translated.
        Training at home is not the same as training with the guy who trains Hakaishins, that's a moot point.
        So, not training with Whis for a week or two is out of the question when his wife is about to have a baby? This isn't the same as going to work everyday.
        Again I ask where are you getting the week or two information? If it's anything like the anime, it's not any time soon and Whis will have to step in or Vegeta will refuse to participate in the tournament. Like the crappy parent he is...
        I didn't mean a week or two literally. I'm saying Vegeta could have stayed home and train and not go to Whis until Bra was born since training with Whis, while nice, isn't his job.

Also in the anime Bulma was late and was due at anytime. So using the anime in this example only makes Vegeta look worse.
        Kanassa wrote:

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Totamo wrote: There is a difference between a cashgrab and a fanfic, my friend.
        Fanfic is fiction created by the fandom. That's all it means. Quality doesn't matter.

And Dragon Ball has always been a crash grab since it was created to get your money and for Toriyama to get paid as Toriyama admitted.

Super will never be a fanfic since it isn't a fan creation, but an official produce. And Super like most produces in existence is a cash grab because it exist to make money, just like the original manga.
        Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
        Totamo wrote: There is a difference between a cashgrab and a fanfic, my friend.
        Fanfic is fiction created by the fandom. That's all it means. Quality doesn't matter.

And Dragon Ball has always been a crash grab since it was created to get your money and for Toriyama to get paid as Toriyama admitted.

Super will never be a fanfic since it isn't a fan creation, but an official produce. And Super like most produces in existence is a cash grab because it exist to make money, just like the original manga.
        Every piece of fiction that's sold is created to make money, that's not an excuse for Super to be shit when there are literally thousands of other things designed to make money that are also good.
        Totamo wrote:
        The gr wrote:
        ekrolo2 wrote: You're half right, Super should be canceled and the rights to make any more Dragon Ball fired into the sun.
          A bad fanfic and a bad cashgrab have very little difference to me, the fact this franchise, a simple one at that, consistently fails spectacularly at making a good story from start to finish should probably let someone know that it needs to go back to the grave or put someone one who can do it right.

FFS, the anime was dead on arrival but at least they could have found a good mangaka to do the manga so there's at least A version of post-BoG Dragon Ball that's good but nope, they put Toyotaro on it, the guy who's output rivals Force Awakens in terms of sheer earth shattering genericness.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):