Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Unofficial "Dragon Ball Super" Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by LowRyder2005 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Because it just means that he can fight at full power, not that his power has increased. Nothing about that actually mentions a power increase, merely power maintenance. Goku has fought Freeza at full power before, as Freeza himself made clear during that arc, and yet he still states that Freeza's gotten stronger. I take issue with your position because it presupposes that Goku's wording isn't exact and literal like his dialogue ALWAYS IS. People rag on Goku's simplistic character in Super, but it DOES mean that he's generally to be taken quite literally when he says things.
It's not like I don't understand the objection; in the other cases I can think of we weren't presented with a scenario similar to this one, though. Freeza couldn't train, was by all means incapacitated and could only "think": is it realistical to think he would get physically stronger? Going for the most literal explanation for the sake of it when is supposed to contradict what was established in the series and common sense? It's not even as if the explanation many people here offered about it being related to "stronger = better control" is out of this world, plainly speaking. It's an absolutely normal way to put a thing such as this in words and, again, fits without one single issue in the context of the episode.
I've gotten into arguments for trying to argue that SSB is more than just "SS who is a Saiyan with the power of SSG", more than just that exact wording, including many people in this very thread. And now that I'm just going with the most literal interpretation of that line of dialogue, here I am in another argument on the other side of the coin. The irony stings.
I'm sorry and I hope it won't rub you the wrong way, but the situations are not comparable, at least to me. The pamphlet - which could be tossed aside or down the drain for many perfectly valid reasons - told us in very clear terms that "going Super Saiyan" meant becoming "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" for some kind of Saiyans. Some people's arguments taken to to their respective ends would bring forth stuff like "going Super Saiyan" didn't mean "going Super Saiyan". For the most part, it was just because in an attempt to shut down any train-of-thought about the dreaded two-base theory gaining some added pseudo-credibility among fans. The pamphlet was anything but reliable for Super in my opinion - it did predate even the return of the regular Super Saiyan forms - but the line of attack about "what it said" wasn't really sound.

"Stronger" on the other hand is not as unambiguous and in the context of the episode and what we've been presented in the entirity of the series. Especially when meditating doesn't realistically yield the same fruits of regular training until proven... when it makes for contrived writing in a show in which - you said it yourself - everything tries to be simple enough for children... etc. I don't think my arguments will convince you at this point, however.
I don't think it particularly matters either way.

If Frieza's max power didn't increase substantially per se and he instead merely learned how to retain his stamina to fight at a constant 100% without it dropping off instantly, it wouldn't have been anything unlike Complete Super Saiyan Blue vs. regular Super Saiyan Blue in the manga -- and I think most people would concur that the former is a "stronger" form.

If Frieza's max strength did increase substantially, the result is just the same. In both cases, he's fighting at a significantly higher level of power than we saw him outputting during RoF and Goku caught up with it.

I suppose the only consequence of note is whether Frieza actually gained a whole lot of power simply from mental training, which admittedly isn't easy to reconcile, but the Super anime in general is often pretty vague about this kind of stuff anyway.
Granted, I'll have to clarify that my interpretation still falls somewhere among these lines.

I did report similar thoughts in my posts from some pages ago. We could argue Freeza showed his power very briefly in ROF, that he toyed with Goku, o that he got a very negligible amount of added power (eh, I guess I can live with it) on top of that. I'd still tentatively classify the last one purely as byproduct more than anything, since I have a hard time believing that meditation could easily act as a "perfect substitute" - in the economical sense - of the regular training after a whoppin' thirty years of aforementioned regular training being physical in nature, with meditation being occasionally implemented to refine control or similar aspects.

Matter of fact is still that Freeza will still perform much better than his counterpart from ROF in any given scenario, so I guess we can all agree with that and maybe call it a day.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I honestly am rubbed the wrong way by the idea that people think the methodology of Freeza getting stronger in Hell matters. It's personal preference, I guess. Also, that bit about being on the other side of the coin was more about me trying to expand how SSB is interpreted with instances in the show like Whis teaching Goku and Vegeta to not let their Ki leak out, etc., and others not taking kindly to this attempt.

I get that people want precedence and consistency, but we're just not gonna get that with Super like people want around here. Does it make sense for Freeza to get stronger, or even just to learn to control his Golden Evolution whilst stuck as a soul in a cocoon in his own personal Hell?

No, not really. And yet that's what we're getting. If people are willing to make the leap that Freeza could gain control over his Golden Evolution and negate its massive stamina drain, I assumed that people would be fine simply agreeing with Goku that he also got stronger flat-out. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and indeed lend themselves well to each other, seeing as how we already have precedence for this happening, as well as precedence for mental training, like Future Trunks's image training and Piccolo's meditation, especially on King Kai's planet.

Maybe it's just me perceiving it the wrong way, but I feel like people don't want to make the logic jumps that are necessary when watching the current anime. Does it not jive a bit with the previous series? Sure. Does that mean you shouldn't accept what the show is giving? No, no it doesn't.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for it or not and it's definitely too early but what do you guys think about God Broly and Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta?

Obviously can't say too much because none of us have seen it but I'm sure it'd be a wise guess to say God Broly is gonna put a beating on Goku and Vegeta causing them to have to fuse to become Gogeta where they may or may not one shot him Janemba style.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Bullza wrote:I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for it or not and it's definitely too early but what do you guys think about God Broly and Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta?

Obviously can't say too much because none of us have seen it but I'm sure it'd be a wise guess to say God Broly is gonna put a beating on Goku and Vegeta causing them to have to fuse to become Gogeta where they may or may not one shot him Janemba style.

If they follow real logic, god broly will be Greater than SSB, thus beating both of them and getting beat by gogeta..

But if we go by hype logic, god broly puts up a fight against blue gogeta
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 am

Bullza wrote:I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for it or not and it's definitely too early but what do you guys think about God Broly and Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta?

Don't know about that (and I don't think this thread is the right place for this comment either), but I can't help it: Gogeta's design definitely looks funny!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 am

Broly God and Blue Gogeta have to be two of the most unintentionally goofy designs I've seen in this franchise in a while. It'll be funny to see them end up in DB Heroes.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 pm

You are probably looking for the all-purpose powerlevel thread.

Answering your question, I think God Broly and God Gogeta will be close in power, but Gogeta is going to win.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Answering your question, I think God Broly and God Gogeta will be close in power, but Gogeta is going to win.
It's possible, depends on whether they focus more on Goku and Vegeta vs Broly or Gogeta vs Broly.

In comparison to Super, Gogeta should be weaker than Vegito so I could see God Broly being in the range of Rose Black ~ Merged Zamasu.

Looks like the thread title changed again, ain't so much of a mouthful now.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Then what the f**k are you arguing about?
I've liked your posting style since you started here except all that kumbaya business. Glad to see you've come around!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:I honestly am rubbed the wrong way by the idea that people think the methodology of Freeza getting stronger in Hell matters. It's personal preference, I guess. Also, that bit about being on the other side of the coin was more about me trying to expand how SSB is interpreted with instances in the show like Whis teaching Goku and Vegeta to not let their Ki leak out, etc., and others not taking kindly to this attempt.

I get that people want precedence and consistency, but we're just not gonna get that with Super like people want around here. Does it make sense for Freeza to get stronger, or even just to learn to control his Golden Evolution whilst stuck as a soul in a cocoon in his own personal Hell?

No, not really. And yet that's what we're getting. If people are willing to make the leap that Freeza could gain control over his Golden Evolution and negate its massive stamina drain, I assumed that people would be fine simply agreeing with Goku that he also got stronger flat-out. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and indeed lend themselves well to each other, seeing as how we already have precedence for this happening, as well as precedence for mental training, like Future Trunks's image training and Piccolo's meditation, especially on King Kai's planet.

Maybe it's just me perceiving it the wrong way, but I feel like people don't want to make the logic jumps that are necessary when watching the current anime. Does it not jive a bit with the previous series? Sure. Does that mean you shouldn't accept what the show is giving? No, no it doesn't.
For whatever reason, I find Freeza's explanation very acceptable. Controlling his stamina drain probably isn't much different than just knowing the limitations you may not have seen. Like how Goku and Vegeta both realized the immediate limitation to USSJ that Trunks did not. Perhaps Freeza merely had a Eureka moment. Then with that may have also come increased strength through proper ki/stamina control.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Why this thread name was changed? :?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Noah wrote:Why this thread name was changed? :?
I don't know. MAYBE it's because we're talking about more than pure power levels, but then again, the episode threads also aren't purely about the episodes themselves.

Just roll with it, I guess. :|

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Noah wrote:Why this thread name was changed? :?
They may have thought the title was too long and wanted it to have the same format in the title as the tv ratings thread and official announcement thread.
My money is on TDC being the one finally changing the title.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:

You are probably looking for the all-purpose powerlevel thread.

Answering your question, I think God Broly and God Gogeta will be close in power, but Gogeta is going to win.
I don't think it's gogeta. I think it's Goku fused with the viewer.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 am

Said I'd never do this. Here's my first attempt at a power scale. Open to critique and debate. I think I can defend 90% of this pretty easily, but I'm curious to find out where people think I'm wrong. For the time being, I'm assuming a single base Goku, with Saiyan beyond god retconned after the Beerus arc. I'm also NOT taking into account any characters who have most likely improved, but who haven't had a showing to display such improvements (ex. Hit).

Purely Attack Potency (Anime only, not considering fighting style, technical arsenal, naivety, or tendencies to slow play):

SSB Vegito
Stable Merged Zamasu
SSB KKx10 Goku
Corrupt Merged Zamasu
SSB KK Goku (still loses to Black)
SSR Black
SSB Vegeta
True Golden Frieza
SSB Goku
Hit
Toppo
Base Black
Gohan
Future Trunks
SS3 Goku
SS2 Goku
Piccolo
Future Zamasu
Past Zamasu
SS Goku
Base Goku
Final Form Frieza
Krillin

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 am

So I don't think this has been brought up (here anyway) but it's something that was just brought to my attention. On Twitter one of the writers, Toshio, put up this tweet (it's in Japanese).

https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/867379544272941056

And from what I read and also what I Google translated he says

"I am not in charge of number 17, but I'm not in charge of scouting, but Goku was fighting to explore opponents instead of defeating it. Is not it to get blue to bring out the motivation of the opponent? I interpret so. I apologize if there is a misleading expression."

Poor translation aside, what he seems to be saying is that Goku has been using the Blue form merely to get his opponent motivated as opposed to using it to defeat them. Which is something that a few said was why it was used against Krillin but it looks like it could have also have been that way for Android 17 and possibly Gohan as well. Perhaps they aren't actually Blue level and it was just done to make them fight even harder.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 am

Bullza wrote: https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/867379544272941056

"I am not in charge of number 17, but I'm not in charge of scouting, but Goku was fighting to explore opponents instead of defeating it. Is not it to get blue to bring out the motivation of the opponent? I interpret so. I apologize if there is a misleading expression."
Herms bothered to translate it already.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 am

Simere wrote:

So it is possible then, that Goku was not 100% during his fight with #17? After all, why go Blue with Krillin? Not implying #17 is weak, he could have definitely become much stronger. But.... maybe not on equal terms with Goku Blue.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:28 am

So what is the conclusion on base Goku's strength.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:23 am

Simere wrote:

Looks like I was correct to put 17 and Ultimate Gohan in the "Unknown" section of my tier list.