Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Asura » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dai-Saiyajin wrote:Ratings for the week 17-23 of July:

1st Sazae - 10,6 %
2nd Chibi Maruko-chan - 7,0 %
3rd One Piece 6,7 %
4th Dragon Ball Super (#100) - 5,7 %
5th Detective Conan - 5,6 %
6th Curious George - 3,8 %
7th Shaun the Sheep - 3,4 %
7th PreCure - 3,4 %
9th Pokemon - 3,0 %
10th My Hero Academy - 2,8 %
So this means people don't particularly enjoy the episodes that don't have the primary focus on the the main-main cast/Kale/Frieza. It's understandable, but I I wonder if Toei is gonna capitalize on that as much as possible moving forward.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this theory of "This episode got X viewership because these characters were in it/not in it" is a debunked myth.

I mean if you think about it, how many people completely skip episodes because their favorite character isn't in it? That sounds kinda stupid and I can't imagine people pick and choose which episodes they feel like watching as they come out.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:43 pm

precita wrote:So Super was the 4th most watched anime in all of Japan that week, and One Piece is the only show that does better than it not counting those family shows airing for decades.

And people keep trying to say Super is doing poorly. :lol:
:lol: exactly its kinda pathetic tbh

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Asura wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Dai-Saiyajin wrote:Ratings for the week 17-23 of July:

1st Sazae - 10,6 %
2nd Chibi Maruko-chan - 7,0 %
3rd One Piece 6,7 %
4th Dragon Ball Super (#100) - 5,7 %
5th Detective Conan - 5,6 %
6th Curious George - 3,8 %
7th Shaun the Sheep - 3,4 %
7th PreCure - 3,4 %
9th Pokemon - 3,0 %
10th My Hero Academy - 2,8 %
So this means people don't particularly enjoy the episodes that don't have the primary focus on the the main-main cast/Kale/Frieza. It's understandable, but I I wonder if Toei is gonna capitalize on that as much as possible moving forward.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this theory of "This episode got X viewership because these characters were in it/not in it" is a debunked myth.

I mean if you think about it, how many people completely skip episodes because their favorite character isn't in it? That sounds kinda stupid and I can't imagine people pick and choose which episodes they feel like watching as they come out.
It is.

Content may be a factor but a lot of people still watch super even though they hate it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Well, I like Caulifla. Kale was never gonna win any prizes from me because Brolli doesn't do much for me and she's just him with a fresh coat of paint. If she can somehow surpass that, that'd be nice. Please let that other form of hers from the magazine be an actual thing in the show.

Other than that? It's episode 100; of course more people will show up knowing it's episode 100.

Curious to see how next week does by comparison.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:20 am

Do you think people purposely skip episodes, especially in a main ongoing tournament arc like this? Of course not.

Nobody looks at an upcoming summary and says, "Oh, I don't like the main characters fighting in this ep, I guess I'll skip it." Or at least I sure as hell don't think anyone would do that.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 am

Totamo wrote:
Asura wrote:
RedHeat wrote:

It is.

Content may be a factor but a lot of people still watch super even though they hate it.
Negative comments by people on the internet does not constituite the enitre audience of Dragonball. Obviously it is extremely popular and it continues make loads of cash and I and the vast majority of audience love it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:32 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Asura wrote:

It is.

Negative comments by people on the internet does not constituite the enitre audience of Dragonball. Obviously it is extremely popular and it continues make loads of cash and I and the vast majority of audience love it.
Yes exactly. A big example is the first Blu-ray set in America was released and sold overwhelmingly to the point it was sold out in some places on the day it came out!! This isn't the Champa arc but the retelling of a movie that is already available for half the price... Why would it be doing that well if Super is this hated show that everyone hates...
Like I keep saying the amount of people who comment on Supercompared to those who watch Super and don't is such a small fraction.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:45 am

We did it everyone, Super isn't getting cancelled mid-tournament anymore. It must be because the 6 year olf Japanese kids looked up the spoilers for this episode weeks ago and knew that Kale was gonna be in it, so they skipped the previous few episodes because there was no Kale.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

precita wrote:Do you think people purposely skip episodes, especially in a main ongoing tournament arc like this? Of course not.

Nobody looks at an upcoming summary and says, "Oh, I don't like the main characters fighting in this ep, I guess I'll skip it." Or at least I sure as hell don't think anyone would do that.
Yeah, that makes no sense. Ratings for pretty much every show go through fluctuations regardless of the content, and as said many times, it's pointless to analyze ratings based on that. When you follow these things for years, as I've been doing because of One Piece and a few others, you get used to it. An episode being more hyped than others very rarely translate into a boost, for instance.
Episode number is a non-factor too, although i don't even think that needed to be said.

Anyway, the tournament keeps ranging among the five most watched anime in Japan. Certainly a failure that could be cancelled at this rate!

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:
Totamo wrote: It is.

Yes exactly. A big example is the first Blu-ray set in America was released and sold overwhelmingly to the point it was sold out in some places on the day it came out!! This isn't the Champa arc but the retelling of a movie that is already available for half the price... Why would it be doing that well if Super is this hated show that everyone hates...
Like I keep saying the amount of people who comment on Supercompared to those who watch Super and don't is such a small fraction.
Can you provide that link?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 am

Fearless wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote: Negative comments by people on the internet does not constituite the enitre audience of Dragonball. Obviously it is extremely popular and it continues make loads of cash and I and the vast majority of audience love it.
Kind of confused a link to what exactly?

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fearless wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yes exactly. A big example is the first Blu-ray set in America was released and sold overwhelmingly to the point it was sold out in some places on the day it came out!! This isn't the Champa arc but the retelling of a movie that is already available for half the price... Why would it be doing that well if Super is this hated show that everyone hates...
Where you said the blu-ray of BoG overwhelmingly sold out?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 am

Fearless wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fearless wrote: Can you provide that link?
#1 best selling anime on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Mov ... 2959127011
Rightstuf out of stock:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-B ... -1-Blu-ray

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fearless wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Kind of confused a link to what exactly?
#1 best selling anime on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Mov ... 2959127011
Rightstuf out of stock:

How many units did it sell and how much stock did amazon have of it?

I'm only asking because from what i've seen at least in japan it only sell per volume about 1000+ units, so I'm a little bit skeptical of the whole best seller moniker .

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 am

snpaa wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Fearless wrote: Where you said the blu-ray of BoG overwhelmingly sold out?
Rightstuf out of stock:

I'm only asking because from what i've seen at least in japan it only sell per volume about 1000+ units, so I'm a little bit skeptical of the whole best seller moniker .
Aren't dvd/blu-ray sets more of a niche product in Japan and vastly more expensive than they are in the US?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
snpaa wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: #1 best selling anime on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Mov ... 2959127011
Rightstuf out of stock:

Aren't dvd/blu-ray sets more of a niche product in Japan and vastly more expensive than they are in the US?
Yeah the BDs are ~$135 per set in Japan. From what I understand long running shows don't tend to sell well on home video in Japan and marking the price so high basically covers that. Super is plastered everywhere in Japan and the latest Bandai figures showed DB doing better than forecasts so Super is definitely a success in the areas it needs to be. It can't be a success if a majority of people don't like the show...

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 am

The ratings fluctuate all the time and it depends on many variables. If Super falls out of the top ten I would understand, but until then, no need to worry.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am

I'm honestly amazed Super's ratings are so high. In Japan, all the original fans have got to be 40-50 year old adults by now. Even the kids/teens who grew up with Kai are now in their mid-late 20's.

And new little kids watching Dragonball for the first time probably haven't seen all the older sagas.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

MajinMan wrote:We did it everyone, Super isn't getting cancelled mid-tournament anymore. It must be because the 6 year olf Japanese kids looked up the spoilers for this episode weeks ago and knew that Kale was gonna be in it, so they skipped the previous few episodes because there was no Kale.
People seem to forget it's a kid's show.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Araki wrote:An episode being more hyped than others very rarely translate into a boost, for instance.
True, but it depends on how an episode is hyped. I think it's safe to say the dozens of promos for the Future Trunks saga translated into high ratings for its debut.