Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by MajinMan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote:
MajinMan wrote:We did it everyone, Super isn't getting cancelled mid-tournament anymore. It must be because the 6 year olf Japanese kids looked up the spoilers for this episode weeks ago and knew that Kale was gonna be in it, so they skipped the previous few episodes because there was no Kale.
People seem to forget it's a kid's show.
Exactly, that's why the whole "oh they don't like this character/this character brought the views" argument doesn't make sense. Kids will watch it regardless. Sure, plenty on adults and established fans also watch Super, but it's mostly kids. TV ratings aren't predictable and somehow people still come up with weird explanations as to why an episode did good or bad.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am

Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:16 am

MajinMan wrote:
ClutchBangstrip wrote:
MajinMan wrote:We did it everyone, Super isn't getting cancelled mid-tournament anymore. It must be because the 6 year olf Japanese kids looked up the spoilers for this episode weeks ago and knew that Kale was gonna be in it, so they skipped the previous few episodes because there was no Kale.
People seem to forget it's a kid's show.
Exactly, that's why the whole "oh they don't like this character/this character brought the views" argument doesn't make sense. Kids will watch it regardless. Sure, plenty on adults and established fans also watch Super, but it's mostly kids. TV ratings aren't predictable and somehow people still come up with weird explanations as to why an episode did good or bad.
Yes! The target demographic does not care about all this complicated reasoning people are inventing.

Especially when you consider that Dragon Ball, as franchise, is worth almost more than Marvel and Star Wars combined; most of that coming from toys and games, a small fraction coming from the actual animes and mangas. Do people really think adults are the target audience, with this being the case?

Do people really think they build Dragon Ball amusement park attractions for adults? It's a kid's cartoon that is so packed with over-the-top action that adults like it, too.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote:Especially when you consider that Dragon Ball, as franchise, is worth almost more than Marvel and Star Wars combined; most of that coming from toys and games, a small fraction coming from the actual animes and mangas. Do people really think adults are the target audience, with this being the case?

Do people really think they build Dragon Ball amusement park attractions for adults? It's a kid's cartoon that is so packed with over-the-top action that adults like it, too.
Unless you have number I will have to call bullshit on that, Marvel & Star Wars are older franchises that Dragon Ball and have a wider fanbase.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 pm

precita wrote:I'm honestly amazed Super's ratings are so high. In Japan, all the original fans have got to be 40-50 year old adults by now. Even the kids/teens who grew up with Kai are now in their mid-late 20's.

And new little kids watching Dragonball for the first time probably haven't seen all the older sagas.
I'm not, really. Dragon Ball is one of those franchises that has broad generational appeal. With all the video games and whatnot that have come out, even new fans could probably jump on and have a good idea of what happened in Z without having watched any of the older series.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:22 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote:Yes! The target demographic does not care about all this complicated reasoning people are inventing.
While I agree that's true for children specifically, the "target demographic" for Dragon ball is at least 8 - 18 given the broad range of shonen. You've got to figure some of those teenagers, not to mention kids' parents do actually care about upcoming content. Otherwise, why would NewType even release episode previews?

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ClutchBangstrip wrote:Especially when you consider that Dragon Ball, as franchise, is worth almost more than Marvel and Star Wars combined; most of that coming from toys and games, a small fraction coming from the actual animes and mangas. Do people really think adults are the target audience, with this being the case?

Unless you have number I will have to call bullshit on that, Marvel & Star Wars are older franchises that Dragon Ball and have a wider fanbase.
SW = $3.6 Billion
Marvel = $4 billion

Dragon Ball = $5 billion

http://www.t5forums.com/forum/media/ani ... -star-wars
http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars ... e-revenue/
https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/259774 ... as-grossed
https://www.thecnl.com/FunimationDec2014Catalog.pdf

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

pacz360 wrote:
precita wrote:So Super was the 4th most watched anime in all of Japan that week, and One Piece is the only show that does better than it not counting those family shows airing for decades.

And people keep trying to say Super is doing poorly. :lol:
:lol: exactly its kinda pathetic tbh
I'm pretty sure a bunch of shows are missing this week because everything on the list is usually a lot lower.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:

SW = $3.6 Billion
Marvel = $4 billion

Dragon Ball = $5 billion

You're using DB merchandising lifetime sales to compare it to the amount Disney paid for the MCU in 2009 and...George Lucas's net worth, it seems. One of your links says Marvel films alone have grossed $11 billion at just the box office. Forbes in 2015 valued SW merchandising at $17 billion; in total they valued it at $41.9 billion.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 pm

While I'm here...is it really so strange that kids might be looking up news for their favorites shows? I don't keep tabs on what prepubescents are doing, but I was under the impression they've been wired all their lives. Seems like exactly the kind of thing they'd be doing online. And aren't they supposed to be the ones buying these magazines with spoilers?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Simere wrote:While I'm here...is it really so strange that kids might be looking up news for their favorites shows? I don't keep tabs on what prepubescents are doing, but I was under the impression they've been wired all their lives. Seems like exactly the kind of thing they'd be doing online. And aren't they supposed to be the ones buying these magazines with spoilers?
Kids usually don't read up on their favorite shows, I know I didn't.

I never knew when a new episode of my favorite show was airing, I just tuned in every week at the same time.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:13 am

Simere wrote:
ClutchBangstrip wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Unless you have number I will have to call bullshit on that, Marvel & Star Wars are older franchises that Dragon Ball and have a wider fanbase.
SW = $3.6 Billion
Marvel = $4 billion

Dragon Ball = $5 billion

You're using DB merchandising lifetime sales to compare it to the amount Disney paid for the MCU in 2009 and...George Lucas's net worth, it seems. One of your links says Marvel films alone have grossed $11 billion at just the box office. Forbes in 2015 valued SW merchandising at $17 billion; in total they valued it at $41.9 billion.
You are right about that. I just realized this when I read your post. That said, my point still stands since 5 Billion is more than most and most of that 5 Billion is generated by children.

Also, 3.6 Billion is how much Disney paid Lucas for SW. Star Wars was worth 3.6 billion in 2009. The same goes for marvel with the 4 billion. Those franchises are worth around what I posted, however, DB is probably worth less than half of the 5 Billion, which is still damn impressive. it's surpassed only by Gundam, in Japan.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm

If this ep hits around the 4% mark again is it a trend?
Feels over Reals.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:32 pm

RedHeat wrote:If this ep hits around the 4% mark again is it a trend?
Last week was 5.7, so...I think if it were to hit in the 4's for a solid month straight, or maybe two months straight, that would be a trend. It's only that 5.7 that keeps me from saying yes.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Speak of the devil:

1. Sazae: 12.3%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan 8.0%
3. Doreamon: 7.2%
4. Conan: 7.1%
5. One Piece: 6.1%
6. Dragon Ball Super: 5.0%
7. My Hero Academia: 4.5%
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon: 3.8%

Sorry if I did that wrong.
Feels over Reals.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Highest rating BNHA has gotten so far, Stain last stand was an awesome moment. I guess people didnt care for the Pride Troopers.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Highest rating BNHA has gotten so far, Stain last stand was an awesome moment. I guess people didnt care for the Pride Troopers.
Do you realize that by your weird logic people didn't care for Stain, as it was below DBS? :roll:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Araki wrote:
Do you realize that by your weird logic people didn't care for Stain, as it was below DBS? :roll:
More like they wanted to see Stain last stand animated, it was one of the best moments of the arc(I laughed when even Endeavor was forced to step back). The series could start be a threat to the top dogs OP and DBS if they get Season 3 and animate the League of Villains Saga(AFO vs AlMight is another hyped encounter).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 pm

5.0's not too much of a drop. I wonder how many people knew last week was #100.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 pm

RedHeat wrote:Speak of the devil:

1. Sazae: 12.3%
2. Chibi Maruko-chan 8.0%
3. Doreamon: 7.2%
4. Conan: 7.1%
5. One Piece: 6.1%
6. Dragon Ball Super: 5.0%
7. My Hero Academia: 4.5%
8. Pokemon Sun & Moon: 3.8%

Sorry if I did that wrong.
My Hero making gains! I figured it would pick up on this arc.