Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 am

perucho1990 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So Super got 5th place for #89 with 5.3%.
Where did you find the ratings? And if you could, please post the full ranking(Top 10).

I find it funny how an episode centered on Yurin did better than the return of 17.
For the 100th time the rating of the episode have nothing to do with the content.
Basically everything moved up two places because there wasn't any Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Basaku wrote:
precita wrote:Super is probably on track for a 150-200 episode run overall. We're nearly at 100 episodes NOW, it's definitely not ending anytime soon.
I very much wonder what's gonna be the final ep # count, before next series/major timeskip and stuff. I could see the current arc easily lasting till around 125 but I would be surprised it continued longer, given how short previous Super arcs have been. At the same time, this Universe Survival arc feels like it's bringing the current themses, lore expansion and world-building that started in BOG to a natural tipping point/resolution so not really sure how would they continue for another 25-75 episodes to reach 200. I'm more inclined to believe a timeskip and rebranding for post-EOZ series will happen earlier than that
Yeah, the current arc feels like everything from BoG on is coming together now, it feels like the natural ending point for the current era of Dragon Ball (not the end of Dragon Ball's revival mind you, just this era in the story), though I get the feeling the next "era" will still be Super.
Exactly, my prediction is that Super will end and immediately by followed by a new DB series.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

TheMikado wrote: Exactly, my prediction is that Super will end and immediately by followed by a new DB series.
I don't think Super will end and be replaced by a new DB show, I just think that this will be the end of the first era of Super.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
TheMikado wrote: Exactly, my prediction is that Super will end and immediately by followed by a new DB series.
I don't think Super will end and be replaced by a new DB show, I just think that this will be the end of the first era of Super.
If there's a major post-DBZ timeskip, I don't think they would keep Super name. Nor if it's a completly different kind of a follow-up (Xeno Trunks anime for example). What you're proposing would chronoligically result in DBZ with Super 'insertion' followed by 3 more DBZ episodes and then Super again? That's a mess, especially if there's a big timeskip or theme-change

Though I guess they could potentially reanimate EOZ and attempt more seameless transition. They renimated BOG & ROF to have complete story package for sale in 1 format afterall

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm

EOZ was only 3 episodes, I'm sure if they re-animate that there won't be much of a problem. Only changes I can see is adult Mai there as Trunks girlfriend...and maaaybe Beerus/Whis there, but even then I can see them not being at an Earth tournament.

I do tend to wonder if Bulma will keep her Super look though, she looked way too damn old in EOZ and that's only 3 years after where we are now.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Obvioysly not a problem to do 2/3 episodes, heck Toei would proably be glad they got easier work but this would be even more pointless recreation of content than BOG & ROF arcs were. EOZ already exists as TV episodes, in 2 versions at that (shorter Kai and longer original)

Really curious how this will all play out and what will Toei do now that it's guaranteed they will not halt the production of new DB episodes for many years to come

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Latest Live ratings
Sazae: 10.8
Doraemon: 8.0
Crayon Shin-chan: 8.0
Detective Conan: 7.6
one piece: 7.0
Chibi Maruko-chan: 7.0
Dragon ball super(#90): 5.6
My Hero Accademia: 3.4
Anime Oasu no George: 3.3
Sean of sheep: 3.2

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri May 19, 2017 12:18 am

Sodhi wrote:Latest Live ratings
There is a giant dropped from Super to the next show and Super is far from One Piece this week.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

No Pokemon? lol

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

George and Shaun closing in on 9th and 10th respectively! Good good!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

It really puts into perspective how low anime does in Japan when the two lowest rankings shows on the list are 3.2 or so....meaning the other 30ish anime that air in Japan each week get even lower than that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm so happy for how well My Hero Academia is doing.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm

How does Boruto/Naruto, Yu-gi-oh, etc. keep getting new series when they do so poorly in the ratings?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Ratings don't matter. As long as they are selling what they are expected to or more.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm

precita wrote:How does Boruto/Naruto, Yu-gi-oh, etc. keep getting new series when they do so poorly in the ratings?
Merchandize and games. Anime is just a portion really.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri May 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Not being in the top 10 every week doesn't necessarily mean a series is getting poor ratings (especially considering that some combination of Sazae-san/Chibi Maruko-chan/Doraemon/Crayon Shin-chan have more or less had the top 4 spots on lock for decades now, so it's really more of a top 6 in practice).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Sodhi wrote:Ratings don't matter. As long as they are selling what they are expected to or more.
The thing is wouldn't games/merch sell just as well without an anime? I mean Naruto obviously ended and ran it's course, the manga is over. I don't know why they keep it going.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 pm

I don't know if Studio pierrot has anything big going on for them other than Boruto. Boruto merch will definitely be out there too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, they could ALWAYS continue Bleach.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 91
1. Sazae - 12,6 %
2. Shin-chan - 8,0 %
3. One Piece - 7,6 %
4. Doraemon - 7,5 %
5. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7,5 %
6. Detective Conan - 6,9 %
7. Dragon Ball Super - 5,4 %