Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:54 am

kinisking wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
2. Crayon Shin-chan - 8.7%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
4. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7.1%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
6. Dragon Ball Super - 5.6%
7. Detective Conan - 5.2%
8. Go! Go! Chuggington - 3.3%
9. Shaun the sheep - 3.0%
10. My Hero Academia - 3.0%
How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

That improvement in the DBS ratings should prove that fans were interested in Kale unlocking SSJ and Goku/Frieza conversation, those were the hooks for the episode.
Was this todoroki versus midoriya? I mean it was animated well but the choreography was kind of eh. It's still a great fight due to its story though ! I freaking love mha. Imo it deserves to be just as popular as Dragonball and one piece.
I have heard good things about it, i don't think I will check it out though.

I ain't a big fan of the art style.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:51 am

perucho1990 wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Dragon Ball Super - TV Ratings for episode 93
1. Sazae - 11.3%
2. Crayon Shin-chan - 8.7%
3. Doraemon - 7.3%
4. Chibi Maruko-chan - 7.1%
5. One Piece - 6.2%
6. Dragon Ball Super - 5.6%
7. Detective Conan - 5.2%
8. Go! Go! Chuggington - 3.3%
9. Shaun the sheep - 3.0%
10. My Hero Academia - 3.0%
How? BNHA featured probably the best fight of Anime 2017, it was one of the best animated fights in the industry since Gintoki/Takasuki, Saitama vs Boros and Meruem vs Netero.

That improvement in the DBS ratings should prove that fans were interested in Kale unlocking SSJ and Goku/Frieza conversation, those were the hooks for the episode.
If Pokémon aired MHA wouldn't have even made the Top 10.
You do realise that these ratings aren't indicative of the actual content not many people knew it was gonna be the "best fight of 2017" beforehand, even so there isn't enough interest in MHA for it too shoot up based on the fact it had an apparently great animated fight.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 am

Totamo wrote:
kinisking wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

Was this todoroki versus midoriya? I mean it was animated well but the choreography was kind of eh. It's still a great fight due to its story though ! I freaking love mha. Imo it deserves to be just as popular as Dragonball and one piece.

Give My Hero Academia a chance. It's awesome.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Totamo wrote:
kinisking wrote: Was this todoroki versus midoriya? I mean it was animated well but the choreography was kind of eh. It's still a great fight due to its story though ! I freaking love mha. Imo it deserves to be just as popular as Dragonball and one piece.

Give me a good scale, friend.

we talking fairy tail teir, Naruto tier or one piece tier?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Totamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Totamo wrote: I have heard good things about it, i don't think I will check it out though.

Give me a good scale, friend.

we talking fairy tail teir, Naruto tier or one piece tier?
It's One Piece tier. In fact, I would say it's even beyond that. Wonderfully diverse and fleshed out cast of characters and a quite interesting core concept. And the anime adaptation of the manga is wonderful. It has top notch animation, a killer soundtrack and phenomenal voice acting. It's basically everything that I wanted Dragon Ball Super to be and more. I'd say it's best shonen anime or manga out right now and one of the best in the last twenty years. And the very latest episode of the anime was fucking perfect and the best 22 minutes of an episode of an anime I've watched in the last decade. The only shonen anime that matches its quality right now is Attack On Titan.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm

I saw the first season and was woefully unimpressed by it. It wasn't even that long ago I watched it and I've forgotten most of it.

So either the second season is much better or I'm missing something because compared to the first season of anime such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, One Punch Man, Seven Deadly Sins, Dragon Ball Z and even Fairy Tail I'd say it was worse.

I do plan on watching Season 2 once it's finished.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Bullza wrote:I saw the first season and was woefully unimpressed by it. It wasn't even that long ago I watched it and I've forgotten most of it.

So either the second season is much better or I'm missing something because compared to the first season of anime such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, One Punch Man, Seven Deadly Sins, Dragon Ball Z and even Fairy Tail I'd say it was worse.

Season two is far better, but if you were unimpressed by season one than you probably won't suddenly fall in love with MHA .
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Funnily enough out of all the shows that Bullza only DB (duhh) Bleach (though I got into it super late), Fairy Tail and MHA really caught me from the start currently still making my way through MHA S1 had to pause to study for a super big exam (who knew that finishing Uni doesn't mean finishing study & exams!!) but yeah Naruto never caught me at all tbf back in secondary school not many people caught it either was all about Bleach, Yugioh and Pokémon. One Piece was too overwhelming from the start, AoT I never got the hype dropped it after E6 of S1, and OPM I found to be the most boring thing ever and didn't understand the hype at all dropped after the first episode!! 7 Deadly Sin again too hyped and didn't bother with episode 2.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Bullza wrote:I saw the first season and was woefully unimpressed by it. It wasn't even that long ago I watched it and I've forgotten most of it.

The second season isn't even that great either. The anime hasn't reached the parts of the manga where it becomes really engaging.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Funnily enough out of all the shows that Bullza only DB (duhh) Bleach (though I got into it super late), Fairy Tail and MHA really caught me from the start currently still making my way through MHA S1 had to pause to study for a super big exam (who knew that finishing Uni doesn't mean finishing study & exams!!) but yeah Naruto never caught me at all tbf back in secondary school not many people caught it either was all about Bleach, Yugioh and Pokémon. One Piece was too overwhelming from the start, AoT I never got the hype dropped it after E6 of S1, and OPM I found to be the most boring thing ever and didn't understand the hype at all dropped after the first episode!! 7 Deadly Sin again too hyped and didn't bother with episode 2.
For me, it's HxH that hasn't grabbed me despite people telling me it's the best Shōnen ever and how they wished Dragon Ball was more like it. I mean, it has some good stuff, but I don't see what's the hype is. One Punch Man is good, but it wouldn't crack my top ten favorite anime.

I do enjoy Attack on Titan and Jo Jo and can't wait to see Part 3 when we get to the Stands. I enjoyed Phantom Blood despite people calling it the weakest story arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:BNHA won't reach top 5 unless a lot of shows just don't air that week. No matter how incredible the last episode may have been, the series is not popular enough to reach top 5.
Ratings only reflect popularity. They don't make a show worse/better.

It's already surprising BNHA is raping Boruto every week and season 1 beat Naruto Shippuden a couple of times, If I recall correctly.

It seems to be a cool show. I'm just waiting for season 2 end to finally jump to that. Hopefully it proves to deserves its hype.
Only surprising if you don't take into account the timeslot and block in which BNHA airs.

I don't know where you seen the data for Naruto Shippuden ratings, maybe some rare week where it appeared at the top 1. But I don't believe BNHA ever surpassed that. BNHA in fact had rather low ratings for the timeslot and block it was before.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 am

Bigivel wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:BNHA won't reach top 5 unless a lot of shows just don't air that week. No matter how incredible the last episode may have been, the series is not popular enough to reach top 5.

It's already surprising BNHA is raping Boruto every week and season 1 beat Naruto Shippuden a couple of times, If I recall correctly.

It seems to be a cool show. I'm just waiting for season 2 end to finally jump to that. Hopefully it proves to deserves its hype.
Only surprising if you don't take into account the timeslot and block in which BNHA airs.

I don't know where you seen the data for Naruto Shippuden ratings, maybe some rare week where it appeared at the top 1. But I don't believe BNHA ever surpassed that. BNHA in fact had rather low ratings for the timeslot and block it was before.
Do you mean that MHA have lower ratings then the show it replaced?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 am

HeroR wrote:For me, it's HxH that hasn't grabbed me despite people telling me it's the best Shōnen ever and how they wished Dragon Ball was more like it. I mean, it has some good stuff, but I don't see what's the hype is. One Punch Man is good, but it wouldn't crack my top ten favorite anime.
I agree with all of this. I've enjoyed most of these popular shown shows but I watched the original series of Hunter x Hunter, all of it, and I didn't particularly care for it at all. I'd actually say it's one of the ones I've enjoyed the least.

I also never cared for that Magi either, that one I found particularly poor.

One Punch Man is fun and it's a bit different but I also think that's overrated. Likewise with Attack on Titan I thought that was fantastic and wasn't overrated.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 am

How come One Punch man is overrated but Attack On Titan is "Likewise" but not overrated.

I dont object to your opinion but the english in that sentence is wonky and confusing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:01 am

Maybe I made a mistake.

All I meant was both shows were hugely hyped up and people were singing their praise and I thought it was justified for Attack on Titan and not so much for One Punch Man.

They're both still good shows but Attack on Titan in particular is one of the best anime I've seen.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:07 am

I've been reading the manga of MHA shortly after it came out. It's gets pretty dark and pretty good later on. If it make it makes it to season three it's going to be great but I doubt it will ever draw in as wide of an audience as some of these kids targeted shows due to it content and imagery.

Considering how not really kid friendly it is and new I'm surprised it's been managing to chart at all at this point.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 pm

HeroR wrote:
Bigivel wrote:

Do you mean that MHA have lower ratings then the show it replaced?
I meant that the 1st season did horrible for the Block and timeslot rankings overall!

Also the 2nd season of MHA has lower ratings than the previous series in that block -> Time Bokan 24

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Bigivel wrote:
I meant that the 1st season did horrible for the Block and timeslot rankings overall!

Also the 2nd season of MHA has lower ratings than the previous series in that block -> Time Bokan 24
I did hear MHA isn't as popular in Japan as it is in North American, most likely because it deals with western super hero cliches.

I did watched the episode everyone was talking about. I personally found the fight okay. Not seeing how it is the 'best fight of 2017'.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Do shonen shows typically get canceled in Japan before the anime covers the entire manga? As far as I know didn't that only happen with Bleach?

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:26 pm

precita wrote:Do shonen shows typically get canceled in Japan before the anime covers the entire manga? As far as I know didn't that only happen with Bleach?
Majority of anime in general don't cover the entire source material!

For Shonen you have, out of my mind:

Slam Dunk
Rave Master
Gash Bell
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Negima
Hitman Reborn
GTO

Still given Bleach Popularity its anime ended sooner than normally. But you could say they already knew the other arc would be the final, and so decided not to do, not knowing that the arc would take 4 years.