Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Bigivel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
Totamo wrote:It's like the One piece vs naruto back in the day.

One piece was always more popular in Japan but naruto dominated internationally.
You want to say Overseas. Internationally includes Japan.
Why? You know he meant internationally OUTSIDE of Japan, you have a weird definition of international.
The "OUTSIDE of Japan" is implicit and how you take he was talking. How do you know if he was talking of All the outside countries except Japan, or All countries in the west, or All the countries excepting a group of not mentioned other? You don't know you just assume it is implicit.
Many people talk very vaguely to be able to be flexible in what they are saying and be able to change what they are saying with the situation.

If he wanted to say "Internationally OUTSIDE of Japan", or he says all the words, or he uses Overseas. For a productive conversation about the topic when "Internationally" is said it will be taken literally, and that includes All the countries including JAPAN.

And no, international meaning all the countries in the world is not a weird definition of the word! A weird definition of the word is, all countries except Japan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Bigivel wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
You want to say Overseas. Internationally includes Japan.
Why? You know he meant internationally OUTSIDE of Japan, you have a weird definition of international.
The "OUTSIDE of Japan" is implicit and how you take he was talking. How do you know if he was talking of All the outside countries except Japan, or All countries in the west, or All the countries excepting a group of not mentioned other? You don't know you just assume it is implicit.
Many people talk very vaguely to be able to be flexible in what they are saying and be able to change what they are saying with the situation.

If he wanted to say "Internationally OUTSIDE of Japan", or he says all the words, or he uses Overseas. For a productive conversation about the topic when "Internationally" is said it will be taken literally, and that includes All the countries including JAPAN.

And no, international meaning all the countries in the world is not a weird definition of the word! A weird definition of the word is, all countries except Japan.
What a useless definition! Why does the word Worldwide exist then?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:The ratings tells me that a lot of watchers dont give 2 fcks about Bra and Vegeta daddy mode. DB's selling point was and will always be about a fighting episode so yeah, who gives a damn about daddy mode development and Bra being born? I surely dont haha.
The more comedy centeral episodes got some of the best ratings. The Goku and Krillin episode (esp 75) got the third highest rating.

So this post is a little odd.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm

But that's not funny, its more heartwarming and touchy feely. I love that, but other people may not.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

What a useless definition! Why does the word Worldwide exist then?
Why does synonims exist? Are them all useless?

Do you say "worldwide business" or "International business"?
Did I meant business with all the world in the first and business with all the world except Japan in the second? Obviously not!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 am

Ok, but do know that when I say "International" I dont ALWAYS exclude Japan, if a work was done in say, the USA THEN Japan would be part of the international, or if Paraguay was the home (That's where I'm from BTW) then both the USA AND Japan would be International.

But you are probably right and we should use the term "Abroad" instead.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:03 am

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Super is a merchandise anime like Pokemon is a merchandise anime.

And Super is selling merchandise like crazy and its gonna sky rocket when all of the new fighters in this current arc start appearing.
Haha, this sounds so negative. Pretty much every anime is being created for money. They don't even put real thought behind making Pokemon episodes asides of the gym fights maybe. I don't think you can say the same about Super since Toriyama has written the outlines of the plot.

Sure, Super was created in the first place because they saw how profitable the last two DBZ movies were, but I wouldn't say that it's the same as Pokemon. More like the Boruto case, or series which get spin offs after being very succesful.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 am

Son Vegito wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:Super is a merchandise anime like Pokemon is a merchandise anime.

And Super is selling merchandise like crazy and its gonna sky rocket when all of the new fighters in this current arc start appearing.
Haha, this sounds so negative. Pretty much every anime is being created for money. They don't even put real thought behind making Pokemon episodes asides of the gym fights maybe. I don't think you can say the same about Super since Toriyama has written the outlines of the plot.

Sure, Super was created in the first place because they saw how profitable the last two DBZ movies were, but I wouldn't say that it's the same as Pokemon. More like the Boruto case, or series which get spin offs after being very succesful.
I was not being negative tho, friend lol I was just saying it was a anime made for merchandise.

Transformers one of my favorite franchise was made just to sell robot toys to.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Sodhi wrote:Latest Live Ratings.
Sazae's Broadcast 2400th Anniversary Special: 10.6
Detective Conan: 6.8
one piece:6.6
Dragon ball super(#83): 5.5
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon: 4.4
My Hero Academia: 3.3
NARUTO Shippuden · Final episode: 3.2
Anime Osuri no George: 3.1
Sean of sheep: 2.9
Yo-kai watch: 2.7
What a weird week.

I'm surprised how Boku no Hero Academia recap got a higher rating than Naruto and how Naruto managed to reach Top 10 one last time, before Boruto starts. Even though some usual shows didn't air this week, their numbers are still surprising.

Pokémon also cracked the 4.0% barrier...

DBS being DBS though.

Now I'm curious to see how Boku no Hero Academia season 2, Shingeki no Kyojin season 2 and Boruto will perform.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:56 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Son Vegito wrote:

I was not being negative tho, friend lol I was just saying it was a anime made for merchandise.

Transformers one of my favorite franchise was made just to sell robot toys to.

Why is "anime that does more money in the merchandise part of business" equal/equivalent to "anime that is made for merchandise"?

This is a mega faulty reasoning.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Its faulty, but distinctly not negative.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:21 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its faulty, but distinctly not negative.
How is not negative? Youre explcitly saying the resto doesnt matter.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:The ratings tells me that a lot of watchers dont give 2 fcks about Bra and Vegeta daddy mode. DB's selling point was and will always be about a fighting episode so yeah, who gives a damn about daddy mode development and Bra being born? I surely dont haha.
You are reading too much into the ratings -- they can fluctuate for reasons external to the show (e.g. Cherry blossom season started). DBZ did about as well as it usually does. Doesn't mean people "don't give a fuck". Different things in the show are for different target audiences -- don't be dismissive of those who like other aspects of the show. You can't please all people all of the time, anyway. Plus, it is these moments that give personality and weight to fights later on. Otherwise, we might as well be watching a live stream of a video game.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:48 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Does anyone know what these ratings translate to? Is a 6.6 watched by hundreds of thousands or millions?
It is the rating of how many households in the Kanto region watched DBS, so if we can get a figure on how many households there are in the Kanto region and then do 6.6% of that we should have our figure, at least I think that is how it works.

Edit- So there are 42,607,376 people living in the Kanto region, assuming on average that there are 3 people per household then that makes 14,202,459 so then 6.6% of that would mean roughly 937,363 people saw DBS that week. This has zero basis just all on assumptions but should give a rough idea.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Does anyone know what these ratings translate to? Is a 6.6 watched by hundreds of thousands or millions?
It is the rating of how many households in the Kanto region watched DBS, so if we can get a figure on how many households there are in the Kanto region and then do 6.6% of that we should have our figure, at least I think that is how it works.

Edit- So there are 42,607,376 people living in the Kanto region, assuming on average that there are 3 people per household then that makes 14,202,459 so then 6.6% of that would mean roughly 937,363 people saw DBS that week. This has zero basis just all on assumptions but should give a rough idea.
Note: Is not 937,363 people, but 937,363 households! With your assumption that each household has 3 people than that means 2,812,089 people watched it.

I was trying to avoid to answer to this, but I found a past quote of mine about a similar thing, so here it goes:
The numbers that you see are indexes, basically they give an indication of how many viewers there are. Basically think of tasting food, in reality is the same process, where you take a little bit of the food and with that you can with a degree of certainty know about the taste of the entire dose.
In this case this is done for all Japan, where the little bit is taken of Kanto, the biggest populated and with more Viewership area. Kanto has 42.5 Million people.
There is data for almost all areas in Japan, but that you can only get paying, without payment the Kanto area is considered to be enough to indicate Japan viewership. In the past we got also information of another area(I don't remember what are was) and while different it was almost the same as kanto. Unless the area is totally abnormal it will get around the same values as Kanto.

Now to a little more specifics. These indexes aren't measuring people viewership, there are indexes that measure that, but the ones that we see aren't those(For number of people and even their age and sex are provided with payment). What we see is the Households index. Basically they count the number of houses with TV sets that are watching the given series.
This indexes are calculating through statistic sampling, and that doesn't give an exact number, but a probability interval of certainty. What does that mean, it gives us an epicenter of an interval with a certain radius. This interval is not the exact interval of the viewership, but it has a given probability connected with it.
The interval radius for this rating kind of ratings is 1.8, and the probability is 98%. Meaning that the 3.3% of Kanto household rating of 3 gatsu no Lion is the epicenter of the interval that goes from 1.5% to 5.1%(3.3 - 1.8 and 3.3 + 1.8 ). The series is rated around that interval with a 98% of certainty. Meaning if we calculated 100 weeks where the result was the same than this one, than 98 times it we would be right in that the value is between 1.5 and 5.1. This means that unless this one time is one of the 2 only unreliable singularities we would get in 100, than we got the right interval.

Note: I don't know the number of households in the Kanto region so I will use the number of people instead. Though remember that it is calculated by the household not the number of people.

So 3-gatsu no Lion got somewhere around 637,500 to 2,167,500 viewers in Kanto region with 98% of certainty!
Assuming that the other areas were around the same of kanto region viewership, which they are, we have that it got somewhere around 1,912,500 to 6,502,500 viewers in Japan(with 98% certainty)!
4.2 Million is the middle point of that interval.
if 3.3 is 4.2 Million then 6.6 is 8.4 Million!

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:37 am

I still don't see how I am being negative tho, but lets drop that topic.

Also Super's ratings in its entire run has stayed the same so I don't see why people suddenly expect for it to surpass One Piece or some thing or that it needs to do it.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 pm

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

Sazae-san 10.8%
Lupin III: Princess of the Breeze 8.9%
Detective Conan 8.0%
Chibi Maruko-chan 7.2%
One Piece 6.5%
Dragon Ball Super 5.5%
Soreike! Anpanman 3.8%
Curious George 3.7%
Shaun the Sheep 3.5%
Boku no Hero Academia 3.4%

Same rating as last week.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 am

perucho1990 wrote:http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

Sazae-san 10.8%
Lupin III: Princess of the Breeze 8.9%
Detective Conan 8.0%
Chibi Maruko-chan 7.2%
One Piece 6.5%
Dragon Ball Super 5.5%
Soreike! Anpanman 3.8%
Curious George 3.7%
Shaun the Sheep 3.5%
Boku no Hero Academia 3.4%

Same rating as last week.
Still a pretty healthy position between it and the next slot.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Ratings for April 3 - April 9 (episode #85 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (12.8%)
  2. Doraemon Crayon Shin-chan The spring! 3 hours Anime festival (9.4%)
  3. Chibi Maruko-chan (8.9%)
  4. One Piece (7.9%)
  5. Detective Conan (6.4%)
  6. Dragon Ball Super (5.9%)
  7. Pokemon Sun & Moon - 1 Hour Special (4.2%)
  8. Curious George (3.7%)
  9. My Hero Academia (3.5%)
  10. Yokai Watch (3.1%)

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:05 am

Khin wrote:Ratings for April 3 - April 9 (episode #85 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (12.8%)
  2. Doraemon Crayon Shin-chan The spring! 3 hours Anime festival (9.4%)
  3. Chibi Maruko-chan (8.9%)
  4. One Piece (7.9%)
  5. Detective Conan (6.4%)
  6. Dragon Ball Super (5.9%)
  7. Pokemon Sun & Moon - 1 Hour Special (4.2%)
  8. Curious George (3.7%)
  9. My Hero Academia (3.5%)
  10. Yokai Watch (3.1%)
Hey it went up by .4%.

I wonder if it will increase when the tournament actually starts