Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 89

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Psykomatik wrote:https://twitter.com/TaketonboStudio/sta ... 2668512256
Yuta Murano joined thanks to Nagamine, and never thought he would do any Dragon Ball work. Nagamine's involvment is insane!
Are there any major animation or story-boarding highlights from Yuta Murano that we should know about?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Yuta Murano joined thanks to Nagamine, and never thought he would do any Dragon Ball work. Nagamine's involvment is insane!
Could you tell us who this Yuta Murano is?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm

emperior wrote:
he's storyboard artist and a director

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Nasryyy wrote:
emperior wrote:
he's storyboard artist and a director
He must be very good, right?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 pm

MAN, THIS STORYBOARD!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
kill me

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 13, 2017 8:29 pm

That was okay, I expected a lot better though...
Way less Shimanuki than I thought there'd be as well.

NEP looked nice.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Wow. That was intense. Shimanuki stiffness did not hurt this one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 8:33 pm

First half was nothing special. The skirmish between Goku and Gohan in their base forms was okay, if a little stiff. The second was a bit better, Shimanuki's art remained strong without being too stiff in actual animation. But it was nothing special to write home about. The initial clash between SSJ2 Goku and Ultimate Gohan looked nice in the second half.

NEP looks a little bland.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat May 13, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat May 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Fight half was nothing special. The skirmish between Goku and Gohan in their base forms was okay, if a little stiff. The second was a bit better, Shimanuki's art remained strong without being too stiff in actual animation. But it was nothing special to write home about. The initial clash between SSJ2 Goku and Ultimate Gohan looked nice in the second half.

First half was nothing special ? That alone was better looking than more than 90 percent of DB super. Although it was mostly the choreography that made it so amazing.
Last edited by kinisking on Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 pm

A lot of the fighting was painful to watch. I wish they had spent more time on creative dialogue scenes to use a fewer number of cuts on action they clearly didn't have the staff or time to pull off.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sat May 13, 2017 8:39 pm

As I said to Ajay, there's a new production supervisor who joined the team. There's now two, with Ken Suetake, but I can't translate the new one. :?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 8:41 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Fight half was nothing special. The skirmish between Goku and Gohan in their base forms was okay, if a little stiff. The second was a bit better, Shimanuki's art remained strong without being too stiff in actual animation. But it was nothing special to write home about. The initial clash between SSJ2 Goku and Ultimate Gohan looked nice in the second half.

First half was nothing special ? That alone was better looking than more than 90 percent of DB super.
I really wouldn't go that far. The skirmishes looked nice and the storyboard was decent, but Super has done much better than that in the past. The artstyle was also quite refined, if also a bit rough at times, too. But the second half was much better with Shimanuki in total control.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 pm

There wasn't a single bit of animation that stood out (too be fair my stream was kinda bad), which is disappointing, I was expecting something nice from Higashide.
I guess all focus is on the tournament now.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote:

First half was nothing special ? That alone was better looking than more than 90 percent of DB super.
I really wouldn't go that far. The skirmishes looked nice and the storyboard was decent, but Super has done much better than that in the past. The artstyle was also quite refined, if also a bit rough at times, too. But the second half was much better with Shimanuki in total control.
I think you're forgetting how bad super was before. 90 percent works well. It's not it's best, but it's definitely very far up there.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

I thought the scenery and background was quite beautiful to look at. The fighting was also pretty dynamic as well.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 8:52 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote: First half was nothing special ? That alone was better looking than more than 90 percent of DB super.
I think you're forgetting how bad super was before. 90 percent works well. It's not it's best, but it's definitely very far up there.
Super has some bad looking episodes. But they were few and far between compared to the average and even good looking episodes.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat May 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I really wouldn't go that far. The skirmishes looked nice and the storyboard was decent, but Super has done much better than that in the past. The artstyle was also quite refined, if also a bit rough at times, too. But the second half was much better with Shimanuki in total control.
Super has some bad looking episodes. But they were few and far between compared to the average and even good looking episodes.
I agree. I meant that you're forgetting how bad in comparison the rest of super has been to this episode. It's definitely in the top 5 as far as how it looked. It's also impressive considering how much action there was.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat May 13, 2017 9:02 pm

This episode was alright in terms of animation. But it was an awesome episode and I enjoyed how the fights were executed and the intensity. It seems that Super doesn't have bad episodes anymore. It's been solid for a while now. Hopefully they save the impressive stuff for the tournament.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 9:10 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote: I think you're forgetting how bad super was before. 90 percent works well. It's not it's best, but it's definitely very far up there.
I agree. I meant that you're forgetting how bad in comparison the rest of super has been to this episode. It's definitely in the top 5 as far as how it looked. It's also impressive considering how much action there was.
Nah. Just off the top of my head, I can strongly recall episodes 4, 14, 16, 38, 39, 47, 56, 57, 61, 65, 66, 75, 79, 80, 82 and 86 looking much better than this episode in animation, art-style and storyboard.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 pm

This episode proves that just like in Z, Super doesn't have to be superbly animated to make the fights intense and powerfull
kill me