Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

paulo89988

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by paulo89988 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm surprised that they went that direction with the new design after all the positivity Takahashi got from his episodes, even the "mainstream" fanbase noticed how ep. 122 looked much better than the average dbs episode. Also, Goku looks a lot younger here, like how he used to look like in DB/Early Z, it makes no sense unless the movie takes place around that time, it's not impossible to make him look older with a soft design. That said, I'm ok with the new design, it kind of resembles classic Toriyama, though I would've definitely prefered if they went the opposite direction, Nakatsuru's and Yamamuro's desings from the Majin Buu arc and movies are my ideal for dragon ball. Also I really think they need to fix that face, it's not very dragon ball looking, if that makes sense. I specifically don't like the sort of "oval" head and I hope they change it.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Shida didn't work on Resurrection F
My mistake! I thought he was on the film but I must have been wrong.
No worries, though speaking of Shida, I don't expect him to be on the movie. He wasn't in Film Z which was a Nagamine film as well but there will be tons of other great key animators on it no doubt
I just hope the film looks great and at least let Tate be on the film because I love his work. Plus, I feel like the design on the promo feels like something Tate could work with.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 pm

paulo89988 wrote:I'm surprised that they went that direction with the new design after all the positivity Takahashi got from his episodes, even the "mainstream" fanbase noticed how ep. 122 looked much better than the average dbs episode. Also, Goku looks a lot younger here, like how he used to look like in DB/Early Z, it makes no sense unless the movie takes place around that time, it's not impossible to make him look older with a soft design. That said, I'm ok with the new design, it kind of resembles classic Toriyama, though I would've definitely prefered if they went the opposite direction, Nakatsuru's and Yamamuro's desings from the Majin Buu arc and movies are my ideal for dragon ball. Also I really think they need to fix that face, it's not very dragon ball looking, if that makes sense. I specifically don't like the sort of "oval" head and I hope they change it.
Shintani is an in-house animator and has seemingly developed designs that will make the characters easier to move. Takahashi's TV episodes would not translate well to movement, especially with a movie having more drawings.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Bullza wrote:Yamamuro was behind Resurrection F which remains the best Dragon Ball movie they've made so far. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much that he isn't involved.
WAT? Most people I've talked to have said that RoF is on the worse side. The storyboarding wasn't good, the story wasn't that interesting, and Freeza's character was just meh compared to him in the T.o.P. It didn't even have a lasting impact on the DB world as a whole as a canon movie like BoG did except for introducing 2 new forms. There was no real tension either. Half the problems I named are due to ol' Yammy.

BoG is WAY more arguably the best movie in my opinion. In terms of money? Thats the only thing the movie is the best at.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
paulo89988 wrote:I'm surprised that they went that direction with the new design after all the positivity Takahashi got from his episodes, even the "mainstream" fanbase noticed how ep. 122 looked much better than the average dbs episode. Also, Goku looks a lot younger here, like how he used to look like in DB/Early Z, it makes no sense unless the movie takes place around that time, it's not impossible to make him look older with a soft design. That said, I'm ok with the new design, it kind of resembles classic Toriyama, though I would've definitely prefered if they went the opposite direction, Nakatsuru's and Yamamuro's desings from the Majin Buu arc and movies are my ideal for dragon ball. Also I really think they need to fix that face, it's not very dragon ball looking, if that makes sense. I specifically don't like the sort of "oval" head and I hope they change it.
Shintani is an in-house animator and has seemingly developed designs that will make the characters easier to move. Takahashi's TV episodes would not translate well to movement, especially with a movie having more drawings.
Its not like you can't have fluid animation with detailed character design, look at Redline or X/1999 for example. I bet with a higher budget, Takahashi could make a DB Super film with both.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 pm

kn83 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Its not like you can't have fluid animation with detailed character design, look at Redline or X/1999 for example. I bet with a higher budget, Takahashi could make a DB Super film with both.
Budget isn't the issue. The issue is time. The more lines the harder it is to animate and draw. Simple designs with more pleasing shapes is the best way to go for character designs because they're more easy to animate quickly and nicely while also being easy to draw promotional art for. Additionally, it's easier for fans to replicate.
She/Her
bisexual milf

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
kn83 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Budget isn't the issue. The issue is time. The more lines the harder it is to animate and draw. Simple designs with more pleasing shapes is the best way to go for character designs because they're more easy to animate quickly and nicely while also being easy to draw promotional art for. Additionally, it's easier for fans to replicate.
The point was that its not impossible, its been done with other anime films and OVAs. I'm also pretty sure most viewers would agree that Takahashi's designs are arguably the most aesthetically pleasing.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 pm

kn83 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
kn83 wrote:
The point was that its not impossible, its been done with other anime films and OVAs. I'm also pretty sure most viewers would agree that Takahashi's designs are arguably the most aesthetically pleasing.
Okay, but where's the substance in talking about something so extraordinarily improbable? I'd like to see Takahashi given a shot at a little something, but not even he would be able to feasibly animate with hyper detail quickly. Episode #114 and #122 didn't exactly use a lot of high-level animation. Once Shintani's new look for the franchise is finalized I suspect we'll be in for a real show that might very well put Takahashi to shame.
She/Her
bisexual milf

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 am

JulieYBM wrote:
kn83 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Okay, but where's the substance in talking about something so extraordinarily improbable? I'd like to see Takahashi given a shot at a little something, but not even he would be able to feasibly animate with hyper detail quickly. Episode #114 and #122 didn't exactly use a lot of high-level animation. Once Shintani's new look for the franchise is finalized I suspect we'll be in for a real show that might very well put Takahashi to shame.
If time is the issue then they could always use more months to produce the film and delay release. Also, this is a good reason why if Super comes back or they do a sequel series, it should be as a seasonal anime. The no-stop weekly format is bound to produce inconsistent quality as always.

However, I'm willing to give Shintani a shot. I just hope the film doesn't look too much like One Piece (which I'm a fan of, I just don't think that kind of art-style would look good on Dragonball).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 am

8bitdee wrote:The Twilight film series was also a financial success, with over a billion dollars grossed. That doesn't make those movies good, let alone the best.
That's besides the point. Within the Dragon Ball movie series, Resurrection F was more successful than any of them. In comparison to just it's other movies, that one did better than any other that came before it.
AnimeNation101 wrote:WAT? Most people I've talked to have said that RoF is on the worse side. The storyboarding wasn't good, the story wasn't that interesting, and Freeza's character was just meh compared to him in the T.o.P. It didn't even have a lasting impact on the DB world as a whole as a canon movie like BoG did except for introducing 2 new forms. There was no real tension either. Half the problems I named are due to ol' Yammy.

BoG is WAY more arguably the best movie in my opinion. In terms of money? Thats the only thing the movie is the best at.
It has the second highest IMDb rating across all the movies except for Fusion Reborn which has less votes. It also has a 95% amongst Google Users which I believe is the highest of them all.

Battle of Gods was overly kiddy. It was a short movie of only 80 minutes of which a good portion of that movie was wasted on the Pilaf subplot and Party nonsense. It shoved in almost every character just for the sake of it but aside from Goku, Vegeta and Trunks none of them did anything. Characters like Piccolo barely even spoke in the movie.

There was no intensity or violence and there wasn't that much that action in the movie.

In comparison Resurrection F was a longer movie, there was no pointless filler, it used a smaller cast who actually got to do something and were involved in a major action scene, there was a lot more action and the score was better.

But most importantly it felt like DBZ, it had that same intensity, violence and death that the series was known for.

Resurrection F is the DBZ movie that people wanted the first time around and that is why it was considerably more successful.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 am

Bullza wrote:
8bitdee wrote:The Twilight film series was also a financial success, with over a billion dollars grossed. That doesn't make those movies good, let alone the best.
That's besides the point. Within the Dragon Ball movie series, Resurrection F was more successful than any of them. In comparison to just it's other movies, that one did better than any other that came before it.
It's not besides the point. YOU brought it up to begin with. There is no clear cut correlation between financial success and good quality content. Just because it did the most financially doesn't make it the "best" product. It simply means more people were interested in watching it. I know I sure as hell was excited to watch it, it's why I bought a ticket it to watch it on a theatre. And I walked out feeling disappointed. Nowhere did it feel like the "best" movie DB has had to offer. Your examples as to why it was "better" than BoG (more violent, non-kiddy, etc) are all subjective opinions as to what you consider "better". Your opinions. And it's fine to have them, I even said it's not my place to say your opinions are wrong. I merely said a lot of people would disagree with that statement. But your subjectivism doesn't make it a fact. You can say The Lord of the Rings was not a good movie because it was too long and had too many boring sequences, and that's an acceptable subjective statement to make, but it's not a very sound objective argument.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 am

Bullza wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:WAT? Most people I've talked to have said that RoF is on the worse side. The storyboarding wasn't good, the story wasn't that interesting, and Freeza's character was just meh compared to him in the T.o.P. It didn't even have a lasting impact on the DB world as a whole as a canon movie like BoG did except for introducing 2 new forms. There was no real tension either. Half the problems I named are due to ol' Yammy.

It has the second highest IMDb rating across all the movies except for Fusion Reborn which has less votes. It also has a 95% amongst Google Users which I believe is the highest of them all.

Battle of Gods was overly kiddy. It was a short movie of only 80 minutes of which a good portion of that movie was wasted on the Pilaf subplot and Party nonsense. It shoved in almost every character just for the sake of it but aside from Goku, Vegeta and Trunks none of them did anything. Characters like Piccolo barely even spoke in the movie.

There was no intensity or violence and there wasn't that much that action in the movie.

In comparison Resurrection F was a longer movie, there was no pointless filler, it used a smaller cast who actually got to do something and were involved in a major action scene, there was a lot more action and the score was better.

But most importantly it felt like DBZ, it had that same intensity, violence and death that the series was known for.

Resurrection F is the DBZ movie that people wanted the first time around and that is why it was considerably more successful.
Perhaps you should stop stating your opinions as if they're facts?

paulo89988

Post by paulo89988 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:11 am

JulieYBM wrote:
I understand that but also I don't, if the movies in the 90's could have detailed character art, what is keeping them from doing it now?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 am

paulo89988 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I understand that but also I don't, if the movies in the 90's could have detailed character art, what is keeping them from doing it now?
Modern animation trends are different from what they were in the 90's, and I think that its a good thing that Dragonball is trying to modernize itself instead of relegating itself to being a relic of a bygone.

This fascination about living in the past is what has kept Dragonball as a franchise visually stagant for almost 20 years. I think some modernization is exactly what the franchise needed in order to garner interest from the industry, and I would say so far, that this modernization has had exactly that kind of result, with star animators like Koudai Watanabe and Yuki Hayashi positively commenting on the promo art,

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

I'm optimistic about the character art and animation but I'm a little skeptical about the background art for Super(movie). I found Super's(TV) background art to be quite lackluster for the most part, except Bun Sun Lee and a few other's works. As for memorable settings, those are few and far between. I like the Tournament Arena(s), Gowasu's place, Zeno's home and Beerus' planet. The art director for Super (movie) is Kazuo Ogura. I've seen his work on One Piece Film Z and Gold. They're usually pretty dark and it's hard to make out the details since most of the scenes are set during the night. Even during the daytime scenes, they're pretty dull and muted. They don't stand out much to me. He is credited as one of the background artists for Battle of Gods movie but I don't know which scene. Hirotsugu Kakoi was credited as art director for BoG and the art was fine for the most part. However, Ogura has a pretty large body of work that is unrelated to OP or DB. If anyone is aware of some better examples of his art direction in other anime, then please let me know. I'll check them out. Of course it's hard to judge properly until the trailer releases, but I'm not too excited about the backgrounds for now.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 am

Shreyas_Singh wrote:I'm optimistic about the character art and animation but I'm a little skeptical about the background art for Super(movie). I found Super's(TV) background art to be quite lackluster for the most part, except Bun Sun Lee and a few other's works. As for memorable settings, those are few and far between. I like the Tournament Arena(s), Gowasu's place, Zeno's home and Beerus' planet. The art director for Super (movie) is Kazuo Ogura. I've seen his work on One Piece Film Z and Gold. They're usually pretty dark and it's hard to make out the details since most of the scenes are set during the night. Even during the daytime scenes, they're pretty dull and muted. They don't stand out much to me. He is credited as one of the background artists for Battle of Gods movie but I don't know which scene. Hirotsugu Kakoi was credited as art director for BoG and the art was fine for the most part. However, Ogura has a pretty large body of work that is unrelated to OP or DB. If anyone is aware of some better examples of his art direction in other anime, then please let me know. I'll check them out. Of course it's hard to judge properly until the trailer releases, but I'm not too excited about the backgrounds for now.
The background art could be a problem but I'm willing to give a chance with this movie.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 am

paulo89988 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
The old movies were shorter and produced during a time with when there was far less animated projects being produced. Additionally, they weren't are exactly well animated. You would only get a few seconds of good animation in each film and all of it was for the battle scenes, not for normal character acting, either. Going by the key visual it should be easier to animate more loosely so that animators can include interesting movement for dialogue or comedy-heavy scenes, too, just like the more recent One Piece movies.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am

Do you think the filter will be used for the DB Super movie, too?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am

Sani007 wrote:Do you think the filter will be used for the DB Super movie, too?
Since Nagamine Tatsuya will be the director he will indeed have a say on how the post-processing is set. If he does employ a filter, however, I imagine it will be much more refined since he will have more time to personally define how he wants it used.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:12 am

8bitdee wrote:It's not besides the point. YOU brought it up to begin with.
That Resurrection F was the most successful within it's own series. Not when comparing different series like 50 Shades of Grey or Transformers. Just from it's own series alone, that one was more successful than the rest.
MrTennek wrote:Perhaps you should stop stating your opinions as if they're facts?
Most of what I said was fact. Lets see.

1. It has a 7.4/10 rating on IMDB. It is second only to Fusion Reborn which has half the votes.

2. Battle of Gods was a short movie at only 85 minutes and that includes credits.

Resurrection F was the longer movie at 94 minutes.

3. There were 10 minutes spent on the Pilaf Gang in succession that amounted to absolutely nothing. That doesn't include the few minutes spent with the Great Saiyaman afterwards either. It led to nothing, it was not the reason why Beerus snapped nor the reason Gohan found out Videl was pregnant. In what was already a short movie, this was a sizable chunk of it that added nothing.

Resurrection F did not have any wasted screen time like that. There was no filler.

4. The movie did have a huge cast and the party was used as an excuse to bring them altogether. Most of these characters did next to nothing. Krillin had a few lines but otherwise did nothing. Tien may have had a line or two of dialogue and attacked Beerus for a couple seconds. Yamcha may have a couple lines in the theatrical version only. Piccolo didn't have many lines, he fought Beerus for a mere 7 seconds and was shown singing but did nothing else aside from that. Gohan's only significance came from being drunk in the Great Saiyaman scene and aside from that he fought Beerus for about 20 seconds. Master Roshi may have had a few lines but otherwise did nothing. Then that's true for almost all of the others like Chi-Chi, Dr Brief, Panchy, Puar, Ox King, Mr Satan etc.

Resurrection F had a much smaller cast but they all got to do something. Krillin, Gohan, Piccolo, Roshi and Tien were all involved in a long action sequence which aside from Gohan was the most significant fight scene they had been in for many many years. Vegeta had a much bigger role and unlike Battle of Gods was not reduced to a comic relief wimp.

5. Resurrection F did have a vast amount more action. Battle of Gods had a total of 18 minutes of action and Resurrection F had a total of 32 minutes of action.

6. Battle of Gods was not violent, nobody died in the movie and nobody was severely injured in anyway. In Resurrection F, Tagoma died, Frieza blew up an entire city full of people, Frieza killed all of his 1,000 henchmen, he punched Gohan so hard it stopped his heart and almost killed him, he blew a hole straight through Goku and stomped on the wound, the entire Earth was destroyed and then Frieza was killed. So the latter is much more like what would happen in the series, like the Buu saga.