Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Draconic wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Draconic wrote: Terrific! Already oozes more expressiveness and personality that BoG and RoF combined.
Do you like the less detailed art or do you want the Takahashi art/old designs back?
I like both, but in terms of character design and general look, I prefer the loose approach, because it helps give this little great looking animated moments even to more "static" moments, if that makes sense. As an example, compare Goku's warming up jumps in the teaser, to something like him stretching in BoG on Kaio's planet. It's just so much more bouncy and visually pleasing like this.

Also, this less detailed art style doesn't necessarily stop animators like Takahashi and Shida to add their own flair and detail in their art, in the way something like Yammamuro's designs do.
To put it simply, less detail leaves room for adding more detail to the animator's choice, while more detail doesn't allow for that.

Sure, things depend on the supervisor too, not just the individual animators, but a good supervisor wouldn't ruin a great looking scene. Corrections here and there to keep things cohiseve are to be expected, but I don't imagine one would redraw entire sequences that already look good.
Thank you for your opinions!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:22 pm

So yeah, the new animation in the teaser is fucking awesome, fluid, smooth and high frame rated movements, very animated.

But, I have a question, why does it look so old with the art in general, the lines are kind of blurred and not smooth, even the backgrounds look like they're from the 90's. It looks like Z and DB with the ''graphics'' (I couldn't find a better word for it).
Is it going to get more polished or is this how it's gonna look in the final product?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Amir wrote:So yeah, the new animation in the teaser is fucking awesome, fluid, smooth and high frame rated movements, very animated.

But, I have a question, why does it look so old with the art in general, the lines are kind of blurred and not smooth, even the backgrounds look like they're from the 90's. It looks like Z and DB with the ''graphics'' (I couldn't find a better word for it).
Is it going to get more polished or is this how it's gonna look in the final product?
It will probably be polished up before the movie comes out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:13 pm

majinwarman wrote:Hey! What is your opinions on the animation and art in the new movie trailer?
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBflpbZawAY
Gorgeous. Love me the old-school inspired art style coupled with expressive animation.
Amir wrote:So yeah, the new animation in the teaser is fucking awesome, fluid, smooth and high frame rated movements, very animated.

I like it because of that.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

God damn, that looks so smooth. The new Goku design looks great in motion.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 pm

I thought I really liked this new style when I first saw the poster but now that I watch the trailer I’m not so sure. The animation is beautiful, don’t get me wrong, but none of it felt or looked like Dragon Ball Z to me. I don’t like the oversimplified approach to where there’s not even any shading at all in some of the shots.

I’ll take highly detailed and shaded drawings over shadeless fluid smears any day, but thats just my personal opinion.

It feels like Dragon Ball is constantly de-evolving in terms of its art style. It’s just constantly getting simpler and simpler. For the next movie we might just get stick figures.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Simple designs simply mean a redirection of effort to timing and number of drawings, instead of fewer drawings and less movement.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Ajay wrote:That trailer perfectly sums up why I've been advocating for animation-friendly designs for years. Amazing.
I thought this was a teaser, not a trailer.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Don't like it, this approach makes a larger line between the art and the background, goku is just thrown in a scenario completely out of any consistency, just like ps1 games like resident evil, ff, etc.

And they are definitelly exaggerating with no shading at all.
Not to mention that it looks like goku was animated with that method (idk the name) where you draw on top of a real human model moving

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Am I dreaming? This looks way too beautiful to be true.
It seems like Toriyama has been helping with these designs for a whole year, ever since February 2017! This looks exactly how Dragon Ball should be, I'm speechless right now. I can clearly see there's Toriyama's touch on this, the colors are exactly like in the Full Color Manga, the linework too is so good. I know Super already adopted the linework and I was hoping it was here to stay, and I'm glad the filter has gone.
This will be the new look of Dragon Ball, and I'm so happy about it. Years of optimism have paid off... I still can't believe it, like go see my post history and I have mentioned so many times how this is basically what I want Dragon Ball to be - very similar to Toriyama's style, clean looking, smooth. I am so grateful Toriyama is so much involved this time.
The fact they are aiming to release the movie worldwide speaks for itself, and here I was one of the only ones who was constantly saying "They must release it worldwide!". I am so happy right now, I couldn't ask for anything more than this considering this is exactly what I was asking for.

Feels good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm feeling kind of the same as Asura on this.

Feeling a bit skeptical and more inclined to saying i don't like it; it doesn't resonate to me as Dragon Ball Z, but i guess that's what you get when you really go new. It kinda feels to me like the spirit and essense of Dragon Ball's style (which to me was that Buu saga/Cell saga detailed art-style) got killed off, but let's not put it that way, that's way too negative, instead, let's rather look at it as Dragon Ball making a serious effort in reinventing itself, not sure if it was needed (probably yes), but oh well. It's a weird thought/idea to me, Dragon Ball reinvinting it's classic recognizeable detailed style, something we've had for quite some time now, to something a lot looser. I don't view it as something necessarly negative though, just strange and 'off', but i guess that's just sort of natural when facing change (like i stated above before already) especially in this case in regards of this style's (or what was left off it, due to Yammy's stupid highlights and his butchering of the old-school designs) long lifespan. Anyways, the way i felt now after watching the trailer was like it wasn't Dragon Ball anymore (and yes i am aware that the designs used to be a bit simpler aswell back in the old days, but i'd prefer Takahashi's superb art+artystle any day over this at this point), it felt like One Piece to me and i fear it might become like that now, which i don't want. I want Dragon Ball to remain distinguishable and it's own thing with it's own style rather than looking like another generic anime or One Piece. But feelings aside, i'm willing to give it a chance and just wait for what they'll give us before making a final judgement; A lot of people are viewing this development as something positive with that said.

Conclusion: for now this felt off, but i'm hoping that the movie is gonna change the way i view Dragon Ball and how i'll regard the ideal look for Dragon Ball. This is all assuming of course that what we're gonna get is going to be majorly different from what we normally get from Dragon Ball.
How i got into this shit:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

The teaser looks gorgeous. Goku has never looked so smooth, loose and dynamic in animation before. It's the breath of fresh air in Dragon Ball art-style department that was desperately needed. And more importantly, it's very animation friendly.

Good stuff, Toei. :thumbup:
majinwarman wrote:Hey! What is your opinions on the animation and art in the new movie trailer?
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBflpbZawAY
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Jokes on them. I already watched the teaser hours ago. :)

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Do not like it. To me, this is not Dragon ball. Some say it reminds them of DB (not dbz/super) But I must disagree. The design is much simpler, sort of similar to DB yes, but the entire tone is different. The colors are way too cartoonish for my taste and the less detailed art severely turns it off to me. It's almost like they mixed a Pokemon movie with One piece and threw in a hint of DB. That's not what I personally want. I want DB to look and feel like it's own thing as it has done. This type of look just doesn't get me excited. It just seems like it's going to make a lot of children happy because of its frolic like, bouncey tone.

Don't get me wrong, the actual fluid animation is great but this art style and colors really don't scream DB to me. The faces especially really really don't look right. Looks way too simple and bland, barely any detail. I (personally) would prefer designs of someone such as Shida or Takahashi. Heck, I even don't mind our current designs compared to this. There is no doubt these designs will make it easier to have Tate like smooth animation but it comes with a price.

However, I'm not going to fully judge this yet and I'm going to wait and see how it turns out. This is a new change to DB in a very long time, so naturally many of our instincts are going to be to look at it oddly. I'm willing to give it a chance though and will continue to see how it goes. Not sold on it yet, but maybe i will be once we get a proper look at how it will be in the actual movie.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:41 pm

My favorite part of episode 130 was at the beginning when UI Goku destroys Jiren,it was so well done.I definitely want to see action like that and the shida cut for this movie.
Mostly active on discord.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm

So many people afraid of change... :roll:

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm

MrTennek wrote:So many people afraid of change... :roll:
This ain't about change, its about quality. The art design is too simple and generic.

paulo89988

Post by paulo89988 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm

I really like the teaser, I was so worried because of the promo art, but seeing it in action is so good

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm

kn83 wrote:
This ain't about change, its about quality. The art design is too simple and generic.
True, if the face of the initial propotional art screamed one piece to me, this trailer just confirmed it, dragon ball is gonna lose it's identity to become "just like" another recent anime out there, kinda fits with the age of Shintani, he's probably completely influenced by current trends
Last edited by cuartas on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm

kn83 wrote:This ain't about change, its about quality. The art design is too simple and generic.
What exactly is generic of the new design?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm

cuartas wrote:
kn83 wrote:
True, if the face of the initial propotional art screamed one piece to me, this trailer just confirmed it, dragon ball it's gonna lose it's identity to become "just like" another recent anime out there, kinda fits with the age of Shintani, he's probably completely influenced by current trends
But you can obviously tell it's Dragon Ball. Why are people so overreactant with this?
Last edited by RedHeat on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feels over Reals.