Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Burast

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Burast » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:20 am

Amir wrote:
KameNinja45 wrote:Not animation-related, but that music was so good, if not a bit jarring. We've never heard anything like the new tracks in this episode before, aside from the track that played during the Gohan vs. Obuni fight in 103.
Then why did you post it here? lol
I think a soundtrack is an atmospheric piece, and that is a bit important to fit with the animation / fight. If you put the soundtrack omen of victory in a Shida cut, that fight will be a little less epic than what you think, idk. (?)

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:53 am

Knowing that Dyspo would be a protagonist in this episode, I was looking forward to see another cool cut from Atsushi Nikaido, since I really liked this cut and his Goku vs Keru battle, but overall I liked this episode. Except the almost offensively bad cut after Goku evades Kunshi's blast and punch him in the guts (for real, don't look those inbetween shots of Goku... next level bad drawing), nothing really bad stood out.

My favourite moment, after reviewing it, was definitely this awesome transformation from SSG to SSB with this really cool impact frame:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

And finally, reusing Tate's cut from episode 38 with Hitto beating the crap out of Vegeta but now replacing it with Dyspo... I loved it, lol.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 am

The first half didn't feature much movment, but what little movment we did get was definitely pretty solid. I really liked when Dyspo punched that pillar and it exploded into a bunch of tiny cubes, I though that looked cool.

The second half wasn't that well animated either but the stand-out moments we did get were cool enough. Also, I was right about Nikaido being on this episode, he did the stand-out moments in the second half.

The direction and storyboarding of the episode were also really strong, and though there was some re-used animation, it was well-placed and not as obvious as it was in earlier episodes.

Overall, it was an episode that had enough animation to match the plot, but outside of a few moments, it really didn't have anything exceptional. It was well-directed and storyboarded, which I think also helped the episode visually.

If there were more episodes in the tournament like this, I think I might actually start enjoying it.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 am

Average episode but the art consistency continues, which is extremely good.
We have Ide, Tu, Yoko, and Tsuji pumping corrections like crazy.
Unfortunately, since every episode has 1-2 action cuts, we end up with many cuts, scattered in like 5-10 episodes instead of 1 episode with amazing action and after that 2-3 episodes without action.
It feels like this approach kills the series' momentum and makes every episode feel mediocre while keeping the production constantly busy.
We need a small filler arc and some 2-part episodes.
Seriously, make "Galactic Patrol Yamcha" mini filler arc and break the tournament's flow for 2-3 weeks!!!!
Toei be creative!!!!!
Also.....Still no idea why wanpack got such an interesting episode.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 am

I've decided to post some of the decent, non-booru worthy animation from this and last episode.
17 vs Ribrianne by Futoshi Higashide(presumed)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Piccolo vs Rubalt by Naoki Tate(Best non-worthy Booru cut from the episode)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Dyspo beating Hit by artist unknown. I would say it's probably the original animation highlight of it's half, if not of the entire episode. Really love the debris when Dyspo punches the pillar, they remind me a lot of Yutapon cubes. The background animation was also nice.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Goku vs Kunshi by Atsushi Nikaido(Presumed),Artist Unknown. Probably the strongest scene from the second half. I think there may have been a second animator beside Nikaido, but I'm pretty confident he at least did up to Goku charging through Kunshi's landmines. It's hard to tell after that.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Finally, the best animated section of the episode, VegetaDyspo vs Hit by Naoki Tate, Artist Unknown. Some minor changes have been made to how Hit moves from the original, but Dyspo's poses are pretty much 1:1 with Vegeta's from episode #38.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 am

It's funny how the reused animation from episode 38 looked somehow much much better than the one in ep38.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:06 am

Amir wrote:It's funny how the reused animation from episode 38 looked somehow much much better than the one in ep38.
That's probably because they made Hit's movements snappier and there was also a cut-away in #38 that wasn't in #104.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:39 am

Personally, I thought it was worse. Hit's position during this section is misaligned with Dyspo compared to the original, which makes him sliding about unanimated look incredibly janky and disconnected from the action.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 am

Ajay wrote:Personally, I thought it was worse. Hit's position during this section is misaligned with Dyspo compared to the original, which makes him sliding about unanimated look incredibly janky and disconnected from the action.
Yeah, I see what you mean when you say it looked far more janky.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 am

Ajay wrote:Personally, I thought it was worse. Hit's position during this section is misaligned with Dyspo compared to the original, which makes him sliding about unanimated look incredibly janky and disconnected from the action.
True. Dyspo lacked the correct smears and as a result he looked like someone placed him there later.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Enjoyed the episode even more in HD. I found it interesting that Tsuji drew Hit with a really thick neck a few times, I imagine she was probably the one that drew Dyspo with a huge neck too. While there was nothing amazing in the action or anything this was definitely one of those episodes that does a great job tricking you into thinking Super has a normal production for a long running show.
I love the cut this shot is from;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Reminds me of a bit from Todoroki vs Midoriya in MHA, just not as heavily animated, obviously.

Was anybody able to spot a Toei supervisor in the NEP? I wasn't.
Trust me man, just don't bother with the live stream period there is like no point, literally an hour later HD and subtitles.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Trust me man, just don't bother with the live stream period there is like no point, literally an hour later HD and subtitles.
I think the same as well, don't know why people are so desperate to watch the live stream when they can wait for the subtitles and comment properly.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Trust me man, just don't bother with the live stream period there is like no point, literally an hour later HD and subtitles.
I think the same as well, don't know why people are so desperate to watch the live stream when they can wait for the subtitles and comment properly.
It's the hype. People enjoy been first.
There is a reason why most videos have that "first" comment.

On another note, who drew Hit speeding up at the beginning of the episode (with the winds around him)? Was it Tsuji?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:03 pm

-Episode 104-

I freaking love Toshio. Such good writing!
There was a lot of strategy here which is not usual in most DB fights.

I didn't get Karasawa or Shida to carry this episode, but I'm satisfied with what we got.

By far one of the best Tournament episodes together with episode 98.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 104-

I freaking love Toshio. Such good writing!
There was a lot of strategy here which is not usual in most DB fights.

I didn't get Karasawa or Shida to carry this episode, but I'm satisfied with what we got.

By far one of the best Tournament episodes together with episode 98.
Toshio is really awesome. I hope he will be writing the most important fights of the tournament later on.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 pm

JazzMazz wrote: Piccolo vs Rubalt by Naoki Tate(Best non-worthy Booru cut from the episode)
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Things like that makes me wonder (and I hope someone from here can answer me this) who decides what's booru worthy and what's not, and based on what. I've seen plenty of stuff there that I can't believe how good it is and some other that surprised me to be there. I think Piccolo vs Rubalt would be there. That Piccolo pose and the fluidity when he fires back at the 0:02 mark it's just amazing.
JazzMazz wrote:Goku vs Kunshi by Atsushi Nikaido(Presumed),Artist Unknown. Probably the strongest scene from the second half. I think there may have been a second animator beside Nikaido, but I'm pretty confident he at least did up to Goku charging through Kunshi's landmines. It's hard to tell after that.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I didn't know it was Nikaido's. I liked the first time I watched the episode, it got me hyped, especially (like I pointed out before) the transformation from SSJG to SSJB. But then I rewatched and I realized how atrocious is the drawing and the movement between 0:14 and 0:16 and changed my mind.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Is it possible to animate hair all the time? Like they do when aura turns on or wind etc 'cuz I am thinking if Goku's new hair was animated moving all the time it would be quite cool.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Goku and Hit full size stitch-up (via Ken Xyro's Twitter)

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Does anyone know where I can learn more about impact frames, and how to use them? I'm currently doing some animating myself, albeit sprite animations at the moment, and I'd like to learn how to use them more effectively.
Apologies for being off-topic, but I can't seem to find anything online regarding this subject, and this thread seemed like the next best place to ask.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:28 pm

I never understand why episodes like these are always listed as "mediocre" or "unimpressive" here. Seriously? This episode didn't have anything incredible about it, nothing booru worthy, that much is obvious. But the art and animation were still really good, and really consistent. Using a word like "mediocre" to describe it is especially annoying when people praise the living shit out of other episodes which have one good cut in them and the rest of the animation is just blah and somewhat basic and inconsistent. The movement here was fluid, the art here was on point, this episode looked good. Not mediocre, not unimpressive, not amazing, but good. I want more episodes like this where everything is consistently good throughout the entire episode. Not every episode has to amaze me, it just needs to look good like this.
PMD wrote:Knowing that Dyspo would be a protagonist in this episode
Antagonist. Hit was the protagonist.