Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Decent episode. Majorly tone down on the recycled scenes with this entry, which is a good thing. But it was still so apparent which was a bit irritating. Tate's presence on the episode felt a bit more limited in the second half than I would have liked. But the last five minutes from him looked good with how fluid the action was. But he's done much better in this show.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 pm

2nd half was strong. I really liked it. 1st half though was a little weaker than I would have liked, but it was serviceable. Reuse was definitely still there, however for some reason it did not bother me this time at all. One of the better episode as a whole of the tournament so far imo.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Episode 103

Animation Supervisors
Yasuhiro Namatame
Naoki Tate

Key Animation
Naoki Tate
Futoshi Higashide
Yasuhiro Namatame
Tomokazu Gunji
Tetsuya Saeki
Yukihiro Kitano
Yoshikata Kato
Tatsuhiro Nagaki
Reiko Saito
Mika Hironaka
Shuntaro Mura

Second Key Animation
Miyuki Yokoyama
Yong-ce Tu
A-Line
Toei Phils.

-

Loved that. Obviously. Tate was on fire in that second half. His art was strong, his animation was on-point, I have zero complaints about what he put out there. If that wasn't for you, then I think it might be time to accept he's not your cup of tea.

The first half was a little lacklustre. Higashide put out some decent work with Goku dodging around and placing those ki balls, but everything else seemed quite pedestrian. I hope Namatame sticks around so I can see what his style's like. Ide pretty much corrected everything.

That episode was all in-house, too, so that's pretty cool. Tiger Mask's staff continue to do work on Super, so that's nice bit of reassurance about how seriously Toei are taking this. It is of course a shame about the reused animation required to make this possible, but whatever. At this point, I'm over it.

Now excuse me while I go and rewatch that second half over and over until I pass out.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Seemed like a fairly standard episode outside of Tate's work, I wonder if those Tiger Mask animators came late. Hopefully they stick around and are given more time to do work on upcoming episodes. If the new animators we've been seeing over the past few episodes stick around then the staff is filling out nicely.
Also we had Kitano as a regular animator two weeks in a row.
Anways, we've had two inhouse episodes in a row and it's been quite a while since we had a Toei Phils episode, that's a bit strange.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm

really liked the 1st and admired the 2nd half tate's work is incredible except the art ( don't hate me ) , and there was a cut in the 1st half were goku and rozie were fighting which ended with goku slamming her with 4 ki blast, that was the highlight for me

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Seemed like a fairly standard episode outside of Tate's work, I wonder if those Tiger Mask animators came late. Hopefully they stick around and are given more time to do work on upcoming episodes.
Also we had Kitano as a regular animator two weeks in a row.
Anways, we've had two inhouse episodes in a row and it's been quite a while since we had a Toei Phils episode, that's a bit strange.
Idk but I feel Kitano is like a bad luck charm, every episode he has been, there was a good chunk of re-used animation.

I was confused when I saw the same Helles scene, that looked lazy...

Burast

Post by Burast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Tate's best half in Dragon Ball Super, in my opinion (idk, or his episode 65 was a little bit better?)
Even his art was so good!! :clap:

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Tate's sequence was so satisfying !!! it should be on the booru
Loved the episode
kill me

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm

i think kitano got depromoted to just a key animator after he did animation on 2 episodes in a row and his name didn't pop up in the recent staff listings and they seem to get more capable tiger mask staff so that's good

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I take back what I said, on rewatch there were definitely quite a few nice cuts throughout both halves of the episode that weren't Tate, though over all the first half was definitely weaker than the second.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:58 pm

i watched the episode again it seems that the bad art that i complained about wasn't actually tate rather it was kitano's in the 2nd half

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Higashide and Tate saved the episode.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 pm

it's been a long time since i've haven't seen cool impact frames like this when gohan got punched! TOO BAD they forgot to remove the light effect, it's a little bit silly
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
kill me

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I think what really made the second half so great for me were those cool effects on that Universe 2 warrior.

I liked what Tate did here, but I usually love his work more when he just animates one long cut of animation with cool fight choreography and great storyboarding to back it all up like what he animated in episode 26.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Maybe in the climactic battle of this arc he'll be given the opportunity to animate something like this again.

Still a really cool episode and definitely a highlight of the tournament in terms of animation.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Amir wrote:Higashide and Tate saved the episode.
why would you say that , i know they did the best stuff on the episode but it's not like this tournament production is falling apart and we have not had any bad looking episode in this tournament, everything is going so smooth and pretty good since this tournament started and it will continue to look even better

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Amir wrote:Higashide and Tate saved the episode.
Saved?
kill me

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 pm

My most liked cut from the episode

and tate's cut

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Animation looked really good in this episode. Are people complaining about the re-used frames when characters are punching/dodging constantly? I mean that happened in DBZ all the time, so what's the difference?

s y

Post by s y » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 pm

God I hate Tate's art. It's so strange because I LOVE his One Piece episodes and DBZ stuff but I really don't feel his Super stuff.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm

precita wrote:Animation looked really good in this episode. Are people complaining about the re-used frames when characters are punching/dodging constantly? I mean that happened in DBZ all the time, so what's the difference?
No, the complaints are more about animation from other episodes being reused, though I do think they reused the clash between 17 and Ribrianne too many times.