Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by JazzMazz » Sun May 28, 2017 12:43 am

Psykomatik wrote:
Ajay wrote:Episode 92

Animation Supervisors:
Noel Ano-nuevo
Joey Calangian
Ishikawa Osamu

Key Animators:
Inaba Jin
Sasakado Nobuyoshi
Ishikawa Osamu
Nikaido Atsushi
TAP

Second Key Animators:
Tu Yong-ce
Tsuji Miyako

-

That was really polished, aside from some dodgy Vegeta art from Ishikawa. Nothing particularly interesting to talk about, really. No complaints.

Next week's art direction looks great. Really love what they're doing there. Frankly, it's been a theme all arc. I suppose that's probably Nigamine's touch. I love it.
Just noticed: Nobuyoshi and Jin Inaba are back! That's great to see!
Jin Inaba is weird.

His worked on Super since episode 1, but we are hardly any closer to figuring out his contributions to the show despite how much he does for his major episodes.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun May 28, 2017 1:20 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
ALSO I really want to know who drew this.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If i had to guess id say Inaba, but I'm not sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 am

Sheesh, the animation was on steroids for this episode!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun May 28, 2017 3:33 am

Very consistent episode. Nothing too noteworthy though.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun May 28, 2017 6:35 am

After rewatching the show in HD I have to admit that the art is quite consistent. It's great seen that these episodes with no action can look so good. It will be a hell of a disappointment if this consistency stops only for the tournament.
Toei animation literally pulled a crazy task.
They took a mess of a series with little to no pre-production and they are slowly turning it to a great show. If super stays on air for at least 1 more year, the next big arc starting in 2018 will look amazing

The NEP looked unbelievably good. Let's hope for the best. Will Kitano sensei finally probe the skills that made him a db animator?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun May 28, 2017 7:39 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:After rewatching the show in HD I have to admit that the art is quite consistent. It's great seen that these episodes with no action can look so good. It will be a hell of a disappointment if this consistency stops only for the tournament.
They took a mess of a series with little to no pre-production and they are slowly turning it to a great show. If super stays on air for at least 1 more year, the next big arc starting in 2018 will look amazing

The NEP looked unbelievably good. Let's hope for the best. Will Kitano sensei finally probe the skills that made him a db animator?
I would say slowly turn it into something watchable. Super is never going to be "great" in any sense of the word. Thats just the honest truth.

EDIT: Best thing about the NEP is definitely Tate's contribution which had already been shown in the PV. Seeing the full cut should be a treat.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:After rewatching the show in HD I have to admit that the art is quite consistent. It's great seen that these episodes with no action can look so good. It will be a hell of a disappointment if this consistency stops only for the tournament.

Yeah aside from one or two moments (Kitano doggy Beerus etc) this arc has looked a lot more consistent than the previous ones by far, it just becomes more apparent when watching the dub simultaneously every week, perhaps taking longer break between arcs is helping.

Let's just hope Kitano gets some major clean up next week so far nothing too terrible in the NEP.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 28, 2017 9:18 am

I hope that they continue to use animation from the opening, especially for Goku vs Jiren. Hopefully that fight will be an absolute spectacle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 28, 2017 9:38 am

Yep. Made the right decisions to watch the episode before giving any defective thought. Extremely polished and consistent good looking entry. Nothing really bad but nothing really great. Just really good. I can't really point out one episode in the arc so far that has looked subpar. Even the inconsequential episodes have looked quite nice. This has been the most consistently well animated arc so far by leaps and bounds. The NEP looks awesome and it's hard to believe that Kitano going to involved in that. But I guessing any shit he does it going to be heavily corrected.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Obviously some ugly Kitano stuff will make its way through like always, but I hope we get plenty of great art.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Time for them to make up for so much ugly Freeza stuff from the F arc :P
Could you elaborate why these drawings are ugly? I do not see anything offensively "ugly" here? It looks like Freeza and is fairly proportionally drawn.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:27 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Obviously some ugly Kitano stuff will make its way through like always, but I hope we get plenty of great art.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Could you elaborate why these drawings are ugly? I do not see anything offensively "ugly" here? It looks like Freeza and is fairly proportionally drawn.
Yeah, I think this art is passable. Heck, I really like the Golden Frieza.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun May 28, 2017 10:28 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
He said it's great, not ugly.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Who does the series composition for Super?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Psykomatik wrote:Oh, and by the way, while Animage said Kyosato Yamamoto will story-board this one, it was in fact Isao Torada also know as Yuji Yamaguchi!
I thought about it, and perhaps Yamamoto is another surname for Yuji Yamaguchi? What do you think about it?
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Who does the series composition for Super?
We know for sure that King Ryu was doing it back in Champa's arc, but basically now we believe that Atsuhiro Tomioka is doing it since Future Trunks arc.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 28, 2017 12:42 pm

We don't actually have an official one, but at the same time, we kinda sort do... it just changes from arc to arc.

For example, King Ryu announced on their blog that they were the series composer for the Universe 6 arc, and ended up writing pretty much the entire arc.

For the Future Trunks arc, Atsuhiro Tomioka took a similar role in writing the large majority of things, and that continued into the current arc to a degree.

While they don't have official titles, just looking at the credits makes it quite clear who's running the show in that regard.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Since they are smart enough to reuse Kale's transformation in the Opening next episode, I hope they reuse most of Goku vs Jiren from the Opening too.
Not only it's beautifully animated, it will also save them time.

Anyway I'm confident that Goku vs Jiren will look much better than Goku vs Hit, art/animation wise.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun May 28, 2017 1:15 pm

JazzMazz wrote:

I would say slowly turn it into something watchable. Super is never going to be "great" in any sense of the word. Thats just the honest truth.

EDIT: Best thing about the NEP is definitely Tate's contribution which had already been shown in the PV. Seeing the full cut should be a treat.
I think you are a little strict with the series. I think now it's quite watchable.
Also the field with the petals was beautiful.
I don't expect extreme sakugabooru entries from that show but it looks good

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 pm

JazzMazz wrote: I would say slowly turn it into something watchable. Super is never going to be "great" in any sense of the word. Thats just the honest truth.
Never say never. Super is likely going to be on air for many more years and if it keeps improving with each arc it should at least hit One Piece quality one day. Also I'd say we've already had some great episodes in the show, so there is that.
It's just a pipe dream, but I'd love it if they tried to push the show further than that so that episodes were completed weeks before they air, to improve the time it takes for us to get merchandise and for characters to make it into video games. That probably won't happen though.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Could you elaborate why these drawings are ugly? I do not see anything offensively "ugly" here? It looks like Freeza and is fairly proportionally drawn.
Those were examples of great art, not ugly art.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Ajay wrote:
We don't actually have an official one, but at the same time, we kinda sort do... it just changes from arc to arc.

For example, King Ryu announced on their blog that they were the series composer for the Universe 6 arc, and ended up writing pretty much the entire arc.

For the Future Trunks arc, Atsuhiro Tomioka took a similar role in writing the large majority of things, and that continued into the current arc to a degree.

While they don't have official titles, just looking at the credits makes it quite clear who's running the show in that regard.
He doesn't seem like a good fit for Dragon Ball, hope we get someone better in the near future.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Ajay wrote:

He doesn't seem like a good fit for Dragon Ball, hope we get someone better in the near future.
That's harsh. I don't know to what extent he handled the FT arc, but the arc had great moments and some good interaction between characters, even if the ending wasn't as good.