Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 78

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:02 pm

So Ajay has posted some character designs from the Black arc. This has brought it to my attention:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The character design of Future Trunks literally was made two frickin' weeks after the arc's debut. Talkin' about messed up production...
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:So Ajay has posted some character designs from the Black arc. This has brought it to my attention:

The character design of Future Trunks literally was made two frickin' weeks after the arc's debut. Talkin' about messed up production...
Can't see the image

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:So Ajay has posted some character designs from the Black arc. This has brought it to my attention:

Exactly, that's what i was saiying on twitter! It sucks, really...

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Psykomatik wrote:

But it's not anything surprising, considering it IS super we are talking about here.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Wait.. two weeks after or before ? Also, how do you know this ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:

But it's not anything surprising, considering it IS super we are talking about here.
What the fuck :shock:
Goku Black's design was done may 17th, 3 weeks BEFORE the arc's debut.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm

kinisking wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Two weeks after, and well, you just have to look at the date, it was done june 18th.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 pm

The dates are next to 'Last Updated', so it's not indicative of anything to do with when it was first finished. There are designs from Battle of Gods that were 'last updated' in 2015, yet display absolutely no differences from ones marked back in 2013.

Might just be an auto-generated thing based on some arbitrary changes to the file. Don't read too much into it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Psykomatik wrote:
kinisking wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Two weeks after, and well, you just have to look at the date, it was done june 18th.
How did they decide to draw him before the designs came out then ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:21 pm

One thing I've noticed about the new arc is that the designs are mostly Toyotaro. The most Toriyama ish design is for the yellow rat. So Toyotaro is slowly starting to take over, at least in character designs.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

It is hard to believe the design itself was made two weeks after the arc's start, we got really good shots of Trunks in the first episode.
Shreyas_Singh wrote:One thing I've noticed about the new arc is that the designs are mostly Toyotaro. The most Toriyama ish design is for the yellow rat. So Toyotaro is slowly starting to take over, at least in character designs.
Maybe it was because of the high number of new characters in this arc, I'm pretty sure we will even see characters made only by Yamamuro

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Psykomatik wrote:Manabe is on 80 and Shimanuki is on 81 according to New Type. So perhaps Karasawa is in 82, the episode with Topo?
It was actually Animage, but they already missed a supervisor on episode 79 and with Shimanuki being the only listed supervisor for 81 it's entirely possible they missed someone there too.
Ajay wrote:The dates are next to 'Last Updated', so it's not indicative of anything to do with when it was first finished. There are designs from Battle of Gods that were 'last updated' in 2015, yet display absolutely no differences from ones marked back in 2013.

Might just be an auto-generated thing based on some arbitrary changes to the file. Don't read too much into it.
Yeah, there's zero chance they started the arc without character designs. The June 18th date was likely just the last time Yamamuro touched up the art or added a new face to it.
Anyways, Yamamuro's Trunks expressions are surprisingly solid, still off on some of them though.

I hope the image we get of episode 81 in the next 24 hours or so is very clearly a specific artist like Karasawa.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I hope the image we get of episode 81 in the next 24 hours or so is very clearly a specific artist like Karasawa.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Shreyas_Singh wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I hope the image we get of episode 81 in the next 24 hours or so is very clearly a specific artist like Karasawa.
Sadly, this is too true.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

What image?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:57 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
What image?
Fuji TV website usually have image up for thumb nails a bit of weeks in advance of an episode.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
What image?
The one that will be pulled off of Fuji TV's site, we get one every week.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Talking about the bad schedule, the Gods still helped us with 3/4 weeks off during FT Trunks arc run to help the production. Bless them. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Talking about the bad schedule, the Gods still helped us with 3/4 weeks off during FT Trunks arc run to help the production. Bless them. :lol:
Though I believe they helped the production of the mid-Black arc, I don't think they particularly mattered in the long run sadly.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 am

JazzMazz wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Talking about the bad schedule, the Gods still helped us with 3/4 weeks off during FT Trunks arc run to help the production. Bless them. :lol:
Though I believe they helped the production of the mid-Black arc, I don't think they particularly mattered in the long run sadly.
Without those weeks off I doubt episode 66 would have turned out as good as it did and all the off bits of the latter portion of the arc probably would have looked worse.
Every week off helps.