Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:06 am

Araki wrote:
Is Toshio even returning after this episode? He didn't mention any other ever since, and a tweet last month made it sound like he had left.
As mentioned above, he was talking about Hiromi Tsuru's passing.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It could be just Tomioka could be writing all the episodes to end the arc, just like he did the Trunks arc. He wrote the first 5 of this he could maybe write the last 5 or so too.
Assuming the pacing doesn't slow to a crawl in the final battle then I expect the final battle with U11 to be about 5 episodes, and if it's around that length I fully expect Tomioka to write most, if not all of them.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Assuming the pacing doesn't slow to a crawl in the final battle then I expect the final battle with U11 to be about 5 episodes, and if it's around that length I fully expect Tomioka to write most, if not all of them.
Your last prediction was pretty spot-on! :thumbup: With the time they have left it really can't go more than 7 unless they start doing seconds per episode which would run well past March. I feel like having Tomioka write the whole of the climax would do wonders to keep it tonally consistent.

In terms of production schedule, they should already have some post ToP-stuff in progress, right?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:17 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Assuming the pacing doesn't slow to a crawl in the final battle then I expect the final battle with U11 to be about 5 episodes, and if it's around that length I fully expect Tomioka to write most, if not all of them.
Your last prediction was pretty spot-on! :thumbup: With the time they have left it really can't go more than 7 unless they start doing seconds per episode which would run well past March. I feel like having Tomioka write the whole of the climax would do wonders to keep it tonally consistent.

In terms of production schedule, they should already have some post ToP-stuff in progress, right?
Doubt it. Production still seems pretty terrible if Takahashi's 3 weeks are to go by, I think most people will be tied up to push this final legs of this tournament through, honestly if everything continues to be on fire from now until the finale of the ToP, I think this ToP might be considered one of the biggest achievement in anime ever.

The new years break has come at a very good time, hopefully that extra week could mean some extra polish on the finale.

Unfortunately seems we're still a million miles aways from having solo supervisors (barring Yashima of course) just imagine the likes of Tate, Shimanuki and Karasawa to name a few doing entire episodes!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Doubt it. Production still seems pretty terrible if Takahashi's 3 weeks are to go by, I think most people will be tied up to push this final legs of this tournament through, honestly if everything continues to be on fire from now until the finale of the ToP, I think this ToP might be considered one of the biggest achievement in anime ever.

The new years break has come at a very good time, hopefully that extra week could mean some extra polish on the finale.

Unfortunately seems we're still a million miles aways from having solo supervisors (barring Yashima of course) just imagine the likes of Tate, Shimanuki and Karasawa to name a few doing entire episodes!
People need to be aware that the 3 weeks Takahashi got is not the series average, if it was we would't have supervisors regularly getting around 8 weeks between episodes. Some animators, like Nikaido, were likely working on the episode before him.

Also the industry standard has become 2 or more supervisors for action shows, and with Super's more detailed designs it will likely stick with 2 supervisors per episode for the rest of its run.

It's possible that the supervisor of the first post ToP episode has started their work there, but that really depends on when the ToP ends.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:36 pm

My bad, I should have clarified a bit better. I was asking more about the scripting and pre-animation parts of the production process. I figured it was still too early for the animation teams just yet with the big climax still looming. Sorry for the mix-up there. :)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

In the last interview they said new announcements will come out by the end of the year. Jump Festa is next week, so it's most likely to be there.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Toei Animation will begin producing in their new studio by next month. I hope this means their productions will have less communication hiccups.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:33 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:My bad, I should have clarified a bit better. I was asking more about the scripting and pre-animation parts of the production process. I figured it was still too early for the animation teams just yet with the big climax still looming. Sorry for the mix-up there. :)
Scripts through April should be done.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Sad to see the streak of episodes with at least one highlight end, but considering the abillities of the fighters involved, I'd say it was well planned to have this one be the breather.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Episode 119

Animation Supervisors
Ono Tsutomu
Sawaki Noborisa
Yamauchi Naoki
Namatame Yasuhiro

Key Animators
Ono Tsutomu
Sawaki Noborisa
Ohara Taiichiro
Aoyama Hiroshi
Usami Shohei
Miuma Kenji
Nikaido Atsushi
Gunji Tomokazu
Kitano Yukihiro
Hironaka Mika
Motoyoshi Satoru
Saito Reiko
Osada Yuki
Taniguchi Kosaku
Fujita Hiroyo

2nd Key Animators
Toei Phils.
GK Sales
Tetsujin Douga

-

Well that kinda sucked, but it wasn't unexpected. After such a strong string of episodes, we had to have some downtime. I liked the storyboard...? Direction wasn't great, though.

Shame to see the likes of Kenji Miuma and Atsushi Nikaido on an episode of such poor quality. They can do so much better.

Next week should be a nice return to form, and as I think everyone hoped and predicted, Ken Otsuka will be popping up to animate some mechs (his speciality)!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FartiliciousManChild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FartiliciousManChild » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Art was quite inconsistent in this one, didn't like it too much.
Like Ajay said, it kinda sucked (compared to this new higher standard we have now)
How i got into this shit:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Directing was bad, I wish they keep the guy who directed episode 118, and fire everyone else(no offense but directing is hit or miss), I wish they got directors from Gintama or JJBA, who can make episodes with average animation look interesting.

Episode 119 had worse directing than Episode 115, Shantsa elimination for example, it looked rushed.

The U3 episodes have potential in being good and one of them is a Toshio episode.
Last edited by perucho1990 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:34 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I wish they keep the guy who directed episode 118, and fire everyone else, I wish they got directors from Gintama or JJBA, who can make episodes with average animation look interesting
ban
kill me

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 pm

The animation wasn't bad, it was just that the pacing was super rushed, too much stuff to put in what, 18 minutes? altough, to be honest it was for the best, I didn't want to see more episodes wasted in an universe that had nothing worthy to offer

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 pm

That direction was....something. That might be the single worst paced episode in this entire show.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 119

Animation Supervisors
Ono Tsutomu
Sawaki Noborisa
Yamauchi Naoki
Namatame Yasuhiro

Key Animators
Ono Tsutomu
Sawaki Noborisa
Ohara Taiichiro
Aoyama Hiroshi
Usami Shohei
Miuma Kenji
Nikaido Atsushi
Gunji Tomokazu
Kitano Yukihiro
Hironaka Mika
Motoyoshi Satoru
Saito Reiko
Osada Yuki
Taniguchi Kosaku
Fujita Hiroyo

2nd Key Animators
Toei Phils.
GK Sales
Tetsujin Douga

-

Well that kinda sucked, but it wasn't unexpected. After such a strong string of episodes, we had to have some downtime. I liked the storyboard...? Direction wasn't great, though.

Shame to see the likes of Kenji Miuma and Atsushi Nikaido on an episode of such poor quality. They can do so much better.

Next week should be a nice return to form, and as I think everyone hoped and predicted, Ken Otsuka will be popping up to animate some mechs (his speciality)!
I have to agree. This episode was a downgrade compared the last three to four episodes. I hope the next few are great before the Takahashi episode.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:34 pm

-Episode 119-

4 Animation Supervisors, Key Animators like Kenji Miuma and Atsushi Nikaido and nothing memorable?! Bruh...

Piccolo's mouth beam was so badly done. It felt weird because it didn't come out from inside his mouth and then when they zoomed out it looked terrible. But besides that nothing bothered me, animation/art wise.

My biggest problem with this episode is the fast pacing. U4 secret weapons and Shantsa eliminated in the same episode felt terribly rushed, which is ironic considering how long this Tournament has been...

Anyway, Shimanuki - Karasawa - Takahashi. It's like a ladder to quality because it will only get better from here.
Also, Otsuka Ken next week! About time to see him doing something with U3 mechas.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:37 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:I wish they keep the guy who directed episode 118, and fire everyone else, I wish they got directors from Gintama or JJBA, who can make episodes with average animation look interesting
ban
:lol:

Why's that, mate?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Anyone think Beerus looked like a rabbit in this episode? He looked like Dyspo's long lost cousin.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 pm

There was nothing bad in this episode, it was just alright, definitely weaker than the last 3 becuase it had no highlight or some quality cut, it was just serviceable. The art still looked decent and consistent for the most part.
Last edited by Amir on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.