Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

For some reason i couldn't post this in the Super Section. So i decided to post it here rather than in the In-Universe section ofcourse. So if a Mod wants to move it towards the Super Section, than please by all means do it.

Anyways for the topic at hand what i wanted to ask was.

Is there anyway to track the Merchandise sales and see how they are doing?? Are they doing well?

I would really like to know!

Thanks in advance.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Super Merchandise Sales?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:57 pm

We generally cover Bandai Namco financials every quarter. I... think I fell behind on that.

Anyway, their financial reports break things down by franchise, but no deeper than that. There will be no way for us to tell how Dragon Ball Super-specific merchandise did versus other Dragon Ball merchandise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We generally cover Bandai Namco financials every quarter. I... think I fell behind on that.

Anyway, their financial reports break things down by franchise, but no deeper than that. There will be no way for us to tell how Dragon Ball Super-specific merchandise did versus other Dragon Ball merchandise.
Oh okay i see. Thanks for the reply!

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:44 am

We will never get Super-specific numbers, but it doesnt matter. Overall merch sale is what Bandai is most interested in. I took a quick glance at financial reports for first half of fiscal year 2016 from both Bandai and Toei and the numbers are HUGE:

Bandai:

Toei domestic (Japan):

Toei overseas:

Super merchandise (Bandai) and licensing (Toei) is either doubling or tripling the previous years with massive full-year forecasts. Also very good numbers for Sailor Moon fans that explain plainly why Crystal will be continued.

tl;dr version: Out with the new crap, back in with DB and Sailor Moon overlords <3

BTW, if I'm being honest I think Kanzenshuu has overplayed Heroes' uber success and influence on merch sales/licensing in particular. Not saying it doesn't help or contribute, but it clearly never boosted the numbers like the new movies and TV series with new material are doing

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am

Basaku wrote:We will never get Super-specific numbers, but it doesnt matter. Overall merch sale is what Bandai is most interested in. I took a quick glance at financial reports for first half of fiscal year 2016 from both Bandai and Toei and the numbers are HUGE:

Bandai:

Toei domestic (Japan):

Toei overseas:

Super merchandise (Bandai) and licensing (Toei) is either doubling or tripling the previous years with massive full-year forecasts. Also very good numbers for Sailor Moon fans that explain plainly why Crystal will be continued.

tl;dr version: Out with the new crap, back in with DB and Sailor Moon overlords <3

BTW, if I'm being honest I think Kanzenshuu has overplayed Heroes' uber success and influence on merch sales/licensing in particular. Not saying it doesn't help or contribute, but it clearly never boosted the numbers like the new movies and TV series with new material are doing
I don't have much knowledge about these kind of tabels you posted. But i heard you say that the numbers for the merchandise were HUGE!? if so, that's definitely great to hear! Thanks!
One question though..
Does toei seperate them into different categories?? Like the Dragon Ball Merchandise and the Dragon Ball Super Merchandize? Or does it all come packed into one big Dragon Ball Merchandise?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:29 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Does toei seperate them into different categories?? Like the Dragon Ball Merchandise and the Dragon Ball Super Merchandize? Or does it all come packed into one big Dragon Ball Merchandise?
Mike already told you, they don't separate it. Internally I'm sure they have more specific breakdowns but it's irrelevant in public investor reports.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Good for Super and Sailor Moon. I hope this means possible budget bumps.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Wow. I wasn't expecting Dragon Ball to outperform One Piece within the Bandai group. Some promising figures there for DB, with results like that, it'll be difficult to imagine Super not getting a second season.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:06 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Wow. I wasn't expecting Dragon Ball to outperform One Piece within the Bandai group. Some promising figures there for DB, with results like that, it'll be difficult to imagine Super not getting a second season.
It's 100% secured for sure. Projected numbers for Bandai are nearly triple whay they were just 2 years ago, meanwhile at Toei the numbers are up 400% to 700% versus 2 years ago between domestic and overseas licensing gross

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 pm

I wonder if the manga sales were increased too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Wait, we outperformed One Piece in something?!
Awesome!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Basaku wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Wow. I wasn't expecting Dragon Ball to outperform One Piece within the Bandai group. Some promising figures there for DB, with results like that, it'll be difficult to imagine Super not getting a second season.
It's 100% secured for sure. Projected numbers for Bandai are nearly triple whay they were just 2 years ago, meanwhile at Toei the numbers are up 400% to 700% versus 2 years ago between domestic and overseas licensing gross
That's really really good to know!
This means they will most likely add a few new arcs after the universe 6 arc aswell! And thus Dragon Ball Super is most likely to continue.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:32 pm

Basaku wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Does toei seperate them into different categories?? Like the Dragon Ball Merchandise and the Dragon Ball Super Merchandize? Or does it all come packed into one big Dragon Ball Merchandise?
Mike already told you, they don't separate it. Internally I'm sure they have more specific breakdowns but it's irrelevant in public investor reports.
Yeah, and they're using the "Super" logo in pretty much every new Dragon Ball merchandise now, so that's really irrelevant.

To put things in perspective...Dragon Ball is selling more merchandise than other long-running Toei franchises like Super Sentai and Pretty cure, that get new seasons every year. When it comes to licensing, it's even better. So it would be crazy to end the anime anytime soon. They're probably counting on the tv show to introduce many new characters and transformations, which didn't even happen yet.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Fukkatsu no F just came out this year, not to mention Super. It was a given merchendise sells would grow, but the way they seem to have just sky-rocketted is pretty impressive. Just goes on to show just what a juggernaut this franchise is. Especially since the new material is lack-luster in some ways. If the Universe 6 arc of Super is well recieved, however, Dragon Ball might prove even more profitable.

I am pretty sure that Toriyama might be over developing the U6 story and since he rather seems to enjoy his position now and the fact Toei has the resources to keep him doing whatever he is doing now, proving good for both parts, not only Super is likley to go on, but actually go on with the original creator. Toriyama does seem to have a pull to his name, after all and since it was his idea to have 12 universes, him also keeping close to the franchise is just for the better. If not in actually writing/outlining stories, at least overseeing them.

I am very curious where the franchise is headed!
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm pretty shocked Dragon Ball outperformed One Piece, too. Looks like the Japanese audiencing are welcoming their new blue overlords. But nothing is touching Yo-Kai Watch or Gundam that's for sure.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Reading all this makes me extremely happy. If they doubled to even trippled their sales every new year and now even outperforming One Piece. Really warms my heart..
Also ever since Battle of Gods came out almost 3 years ago Akira Toriyama seems to be back in bussiness and seems to be actually enjoying himself. He gets more and more enthousiastic about it when you read his comments in interviews and such.. As opposed to in the past where he was kinda worn out and wanted some rest from all of it..(completely understandable ofcourse, since he's been working his ass of for well over 11 years) even being awake for almost 6 days straight!(only 20 minutes of sleep) over the span of 6 days..
But glad to see he's back again. The Franchise is definitely in tip top shape now. Even more so than it has ever been. So to sum it all up.
1. BOG was a HUGE succes!
2. Fukkatsu no F even Surpassed it!
3. Xenoverse was definitely a very huge thing for the franchise.
4. Jaco The Galactic Patrolman.
5. And now even a whole new series!

And let's not forget that Akira Toriyama himself was the one who originally came up with the concept of 12 universes..(out of his own free will)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:13 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Reading all this makes me extremely happy. If they doubled to even trippled their sales every new year and now even outperforming One Piece. Really warms my heart..
Also ever since Battle of Gods came out almost 3 years ago Akira Toriyama seems to be back in bussiness and seems to be actually enjoying himself. He gets more and more enthousiastic about it when you read his comments in interviews and such.. As opposed to in the past where he was kinda worn out and wanted some rest from all of it..(completely understandable ofcourse, since he's been working his ass of for well over 11 years) even being awake for almost 6 days straight!(only 20 minutes of sleep) over the span of 6 days..
But glad to see he's back again. The Franchise is definitely in tip top shape now. Even more so than it has ever been. So to sum it all up.

And let's not forget that Akira Toriyama himself was the one who originally came up with the concept of 12 universes..(out of his own free will)
Not to mention we still have that "big announcement" to come.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Reading all this makes me extremely happy. If they doubled to even trippled their sales every new year and now even outperforming One Piece. Really warms my heart..

Not to mention we still have that "big announcement" to come.
I litterally have no clue as to what it could be. Obviously there can't be any bigger anouncement than what we had last year..(the announcement of a whole new series "Super")
So what do you think it could be?
Guess i'm in for a confirmation of more arcs after the Champa arc..
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 am

Interesting that sales are so good. What's strange, though, is that One Piece is bigger internationally now than Dragon Ball? I thought it wasn't before.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Not to mention we still have that "big announcement" to come.
Was that not the start date of the Universe 6 storyline?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.