Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 am

Episode 20:
- Frieza is better almost at 100% and definetely Spínola is being a bit influenced Ryūsei Nakao
- Tagoma is good but it's affected by the problem that is affecting everybody since episode 19 and will probably be there until tomorrow and the problem is
- The actor's director for the episode 19, 20, 21 and 22 is probably one of the worst actor directors for dubs in Portugal, either he just doesn't care or is just an amateur because there are a lot of scenes where it's clear the actors could do a lot better, because they've done previous episodes where the acting is a lot better.
- NEP didn't say Ginyu but Capitain of the Special Forces... Why? No idea but hope tomorrow they say Ginyu.

Hopefully it's just another episode until we get our good acting back, and since Jaco's actor said he was gonna get better hopefully he'll at least give a little bit more energy to Jaco because today he was even more boring.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

-Episode 21 and 22-

Gosh, I really loved Freeza torturing Gohan scene!! I rewatched it a couple of times, actually.
Most likely my favourite scene of our dub so far. Feist and Spínola nailed it!!

I'm more used to Sorbet's voice now.
Loy did a great job as Tagoma.
Who dubbed Shisami? Rui de Sá?! I liked it too.

Gabriel's Jaco keeps being bad. The voice is good but the acting shows how green he is. WTF was Audio-in staff thinking?!

But the most embarassing thing of them all is that we are in 2016 and they write "Son Go Ku" and "Son Go Han" in the titles.
Even though the person handling the episode titles may not be a fan of the series, in less than 1 minute you can find the right names on Google. God, have mercy!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:16 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: I'm more used to Sorbet's voice now.
Loy did a great job as Tagoma.
Who dubbed Shisami? Rui de Sá?! I liked it too.
I think Shisami's voice is done by Romeu Vala. At least it sounds like him.
FortuneSSJ wrote: But the most embarassing thing of them all is that we are in 2016 and they write "Son Go Ku" and "Son Go Han" in the titles.
Even though the person handling the episode titles may not be a fan of the series, in less than 1 minute you can find the right names on Google. God, have mercy!
THIS! EXACTLY THIS! The problem is that it's not the first time this happens. I don't know what would be worse "Songoku" or "Son Go Ku".

Oh and am I the only one that suffers when those flashbacks appear showing how a Kai dub could turn out to be?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:22 am

Gafonso6 wrote:- The actor's director for the episode 19, 20, 21 and 22 is probably one of the worst actor directors for dubs in Portugal, either he just doesn't care or is just an amateur because there are a lot of scenes where it's clear the actors could do a lot better, because they've done previous episodes where the acting is a lot better.
Just curious, are you speculating or is it so? I always thought there was just one dubbing director but I never checked the credits to see if it was several people.
FortuneSSJ wrote:But the most embarassing thing of them all is that we are in 2016 and they write "Son Go Ku" and "Son Go Han" in the titles.
Yeah, this is embarassing for them. I don't even know why they bother since they just write a part of the full title anyway.

I'm happy they said Ginyu because I was afraid they'd just ignore characters' names like in the 90's.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:58 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:- The actor's director for the episode 19, 20, 21 and 22 is probably one of the worst actor directors for dubs in Portugal, either he just doesn't care or is just an amateur because there are a lot of scenes where it's clear the actors could do a lot better, because they've done previous episodes where the acting is a lot better.
Just curious, are you speculating or is it so? I always thought there was just one dubbing director but I never checked the credits to see if it was several people

I'm just speculating since in the credits if I'm not mistaken there are 3 actors directors.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:33 am

So episode 23:
-it was good, nothing extraodinary but not bad, just a normal episode like the original version;
-they said Ginyu instead of Captain of the Special Force, which is good, but they pronounced it Jinyu for some reason;
-also a thing that I forgot to bring up is that they told João Loy to give Ginyu the same voice he gave to Tagoma, I mean it's good but it would be better if it was at least a bit different,at least it's not the previous voice,
-and another thing, is it just me or is Vegeta's scream at 0:22 a bit to high on the volume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmjlpXTZD0, the performance is good, I dare to say great compared with what he was delivering until pisode 10 buy it suffers a little bit with that audio mastering.

Overall has I previously said it was a good episode although it's taken a little bit down by this arc's quality and the audio quality. The best thing about tis is that because RoF arc is such a short arc (thankfully) we'll be getting the sart of the Universe 6 arc on Christmas.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:23 pm

I believe I heard it right, there was a line Bulma said when she was talking to Whis (right after he received her message offering icecream) that they, presumably Goku and Vegeta, would be there in "oitchentcha e otcho minutos". I'm not sure how I feel about this joke. I mean, I get the reference but it felt a bit like it came out of nowhere.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Rubens wrote:I believe I heard it right, there was a line Bulma said when she was talking to Whis (right after he received her message offering icecream) that they, presumably Goku and Vegeta, would be there in "oitchentcha e otcho minutos". I'm not sure how I feel about this joke. I mean, I get the reference but it felt a bit like it came out of nowhere.
Yeah I've got to agree on that one, it was definetely one of the worst ones (not counting all the ones Loy said before he had the heart attack), especially because it's already kinda old.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm

I'd like the joke more if it was just Whis saying it. With Bulma repeating that it gets a bit too forced.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:43 pm

omegalucas wrote:I'd like the joke more if it was just Whis saying it. With Bulma repeating that it gets a bit too forced.
Yeah, there's a charm in our Whis to make the jokes actually funny, but when Bulma, one of the characters that never says any kind of that stuff says it, it kinda ruins the joke.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Well, the reasoning might have been her just repeating what Whis said. I find these kind of jokes semi-cringeworthy semi-funny, so meh.

I haven't seen this week's episodes so can't really comment further.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:28 pm

-Episode 23 and 24-

Whoah, they fixed the Goku and Gohan names in the title. Complaining is still worth, even though they put a "-" in the middle of their names making "Son-Goku" and "Son-Gohan".
Still better than "Son Go Ku" and "Son Go Han". Now they screwed up "Freezer" with "Frezzer", but they wouldn't make the right choice and put "Freeza" anyway. Whatever. :roll:

Just like expected they translated Golden Freeza as "Freezer Dourado". Super Saiyan Blue will most likely be "Super Guerreiro Azul".
I'm curious to see if Kaioken will keep the dubbed name or not, and more importantly how they will translate Goku Black. "Goku Preto" just doesn't seem right. "Goku Negro" would be softer and better, I guess. Let's wait.

I'm still more surprised that I don't see anyone complaining about the art/animation, with episode 24 being one of the worst episodes from Super.
It's more the other way around, some people are "complaining" the episodes are too short and they want more, which is actually a great thing. :lol:

But I also have to say it's a different experience seeing an episode on TV compared to seeing it on PC.

I already knew what to expect and even though there were no corrections in this episode BD release, it wasn't still as terrible as I thought it was.

I'm curious how the reactions towards the animation/art quality will be in other countries. If people don't have anyone next to them bitching about it every time, most of it will just go unnoticed.

You also can't pause every time to look for flaws while watching the episode on TV (unless it's a recording and even so how many people will actually bother to do that?!) or zoom in to complain about the bad art on the background, that you barely even see if you don't play with the zoom.

And let's not forget the big nostalgia factor when you have the old cast back.
Reading american fans comment for example regarding Funimation DBS teasers, some people are already saying Super looks much better, even though episode 1 and 2 were not corrected.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:54 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 23 and 24-.
I agree with pretty everything you said.
Regarding Black, I'm pretty sure they are aware it's more of a name (or nickname) than a title, so they'll probably keep it Black, just like with Novaga did back in the 90s with Dragon Ball's Black, Red, Blue, Violet, et cetera.
Well those were titles but I think you got my point xD
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:"Goku Negro" would be softer and better, I guess. Let's wait.
I'm curious. Would "Goku Negro" in Portuguese imply that Goku is a black man? Because that's the vibe I got when I read it :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 pm

If I'm not mistaken they said in a facebook livestream that Goku Black will be called Goku Black.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:"Goku Negro" would be softer and better, I guess. Let's wait.
I'm curious. Would "Goku Negro" in Portuguese imply that Goku is a black man? Because that's the vibe I got when I read it :lol:
"Goku Negro" no, but "Goku Preto" Definetly.
FortuneSSJ wrote: I'm curious to see if Kaioken will keep the dubbed name or not.
I don't think it wil, for one simple reaon, lip synching, Kaioken is a lot shorter than técnica de kaibe.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:13 pm

They could always use the one time spelling of Kaíbe-ken. I believe they used it around episode 20 of Z? The one that ends with that panel straight from the manga with the characters in several bars (and that gets totally butchered by the orange bricks).

EDIT: I checked it. Yep, it's episode 20 indeed. Even so, Kaíbe-ken doesn't flow on the tongue the same way Kaioken does. Wonder what they'll use. They translated some attacks back on episode 21 (like Makankosappo as "Raio Mortífero" - "Killing/Death Ray" in English - which sounds more like a Freeza move than Piccolo's :lol: ) while others were simply gone (looking at you, Kikoho).

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:40 pm

omegalucas wrote:They could always use the one time spelling of Kaíbe-ken. I believe they used it around episode 20 of Z? The one that ends with that panel straight from the manga with the characters in several bars (and that gets totally butchered by the orange bricks).

EDIT: I checked it. Yep, it's episode 20 indeed. Even so, Kaíbe-ken doesn't flow on the tongue the same way Kaioken does. Wonder what they'll use. They translated some attacks back on episode 21 (like Makankosappo as "Raio Mortífero" - "Killing/Death Ray" in English - which sounds more like a Freeza move than Piccolo's :lol: ) while others were simply gone (looking at you, Kikoho).
Holy crap that actually happened? Why didn't they keep that name, it's so muchbetter than "Técnica de Kaíbe". It's no Kaioken but it's basically the exact same thing.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Paulo Espírito Santo just confirmed to me on Facebook that unfortunately he will not be not returning to Super in the future, in spite of having said he would back when the first episode aired.
It's a pity, I loved his voices.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 pm

omegalucas wrote:Paulo Espírito Santo just confirmed to me on Facebook that unfortunately he will not be not returning to Super in the future, in spite of having said he would back when the first episode aired.
It's a pity, I loved his voices.
Really? :( :( that's sad... I was hoping he would do Hit. I wonder who will do his voice, they'll problably hire some new muscle for the new arc that starts this Christmas so maybe it will be someone new.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:17 am

They're really intent on portraying Whis as a stereotypical effeminate gay man/angel :roll: don't like that at all, way to miss the point of his campiness.

I don't know how exactly but Feist makes Goku talk in a weird way. Maybe it's his pauses and slow talking? Don't really know. Oh, I like that they somewhat kept "Golden Freezer" but Goku's the only one calling him that and he does so in a very unnatural way (he calls him both "Freezer Dourado" and "Golden Freezer", every single time).

There's something odd at the way Spínola laughs as Freeza but I can't point my finger at what. It just doesn't sound the same.

"Usubeni", finally :D so happy it's that song's turn, wouldn't mind watching every episode just to hear it.

Loy is way better but he still didn't get rid of that bratty teenager voice he uses for Vegeeta. And he probably never will.

Freeza in this episode, when having the flashback to Planet Namek, said: "Had I not asked for immortality to the Sacred Dragon, then...". C'mon Audio In, get those scripts accurate, don't make these kind of mistakes! The voice actors could have said something but I don't really expect them to remember stuff, even if it's kinda obvious.