"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Dragon Ball Super Part 2 will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on October 3rd: https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... fun-44558/

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm

I just had this thought. If Xenoverse 2's anything to go by, then how Goku Black is portrayed in the dub of Super is influenced by people possibly knowing that plot twist going in, which is how you DON'T handle a dub. You're supposed to present the information as it is & do similar portrayals as the Japanese version, just in another language, regardless of if people have seen it before. This isn't the 90s-early 2000s anymore.
What Xenoverse 2 does that leads me to this conclusion is first, have Goku Black have the deep grovel that Schemmel initially gave the character (which, by the way, hinders his acting ability if you watch the cutscenes), then switches gears to a British accented version of his Goku voice (which makes absolutely NO sense, given Zamasu doesn't even remotely have one at the point Black does, even though his actor's played a British character before), when all Sean needed to do was use his 'cocky' Goku voice where he lowers his register to a more serious tone, like in Resurrection F when Goku tells Frieza, "You'd make a good sparring partner."
Whether you like either voice or not, you cannot deny that neither voice makes NO sense, especially when played back-to-back. Maybe they'll explain it in the dub, but given the animation, I highly doubt it.
I mean, just watch the cutscenes yourself & tell me I'm wrong with my assertions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QPr6MQTIM
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:I just had this thought. If Xenoverse 2's anything to go by, then how Goku Black is portrayed in the dub of Super is influenced by people possibly knowing that plot twist going in, which is how you DON'T handle a dub. You're supposed to present the information as it is & do similar portrayals as the Japanese version, just in another language, regardless of if people have seen it before. This isn't the 90s-early 2000s anymore.
What Xenoverse 2 does that leads me to this conclusion is first, have Goku Black have the deep grovel that Schemmel initially gave the character (which, by the way, hinders his acting ability if you watch the cutscenes), then switches gears to a British accented version of his Goku voice (which makes absolutely NO sense, given Zamasu doesn't even remotely have one at the point Black does, even though his actor's played a British character before), when all Sean needed to do was use his 'cocky' Goku voice where he lowers his register to a more serious tone, like in Resurrection F when Goku tells Frieza, "You'd make a good sparring partner."
Whether you like either voice or not, you cannot deny that neither voice makes NO sense, especially when played back-to-back. Maybe they'll explain it in the dub, but given the animation, I highly doubt it.
I mean, just watch the cutscenes yourself & tell me I'm wrong with my assertions.
Quick question, which voice do you like better, Rose or Base? I'm gonna go with Rose, because God the base voice gives me nightmares. It sounds scary as hell.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Quick question, which voice do you like better, Rose or Base? I'm gonna go with Rose, because God the base voice gives me nightmares. It sounds scary as hell.
Out of the 2 we got, the British one is better to the ear for me.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm

I hope Sean sticks with the british voice for both versions. I don't like the gruff one. Not because it's necessarily bad, but because the voice sounds like it hurts to do. I can't listen to that kind of thing because all I can think about it how much that must be hurting the throat.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 am

My understanding is that the voice will probably be the British one, but he had to keep using the gravel shavings for consistencies sake

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Let me guess, the opening and ending are back in Japanese?
Caulifla best girl! :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Let me guess, the opening and ending are back in Japanese?
Missed the opening but the ending was in english.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Let me guess, the opening and ending are back in Japanese?
Nope, both were still in English
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 pm

It makes zero sense for him to have two different voices for the base and rose form. They are the same dude. He's not split personality. And Sean sounds like an idiot when talking "british" it's almost offensive to British people.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 am

MagmonKai wrote:It makes zero sense for him to have two different voices for the base and rose form. They are the same dude. He's not split personality.
That's what I'M saying!

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:05 am

Was it too hard to just have Goku talk in a deep non-raspy voice with Frieza's vocabulary? Why did he have to become a chain smoker then anglophile?
:clap:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 am

Why do they call it Earth's Hell? I kinda was ok with Frieza saying it, but then Beerus did the same. Why? It's the same Hell as anyone else would experience, isn't it? Or at least Frieza's own private version of Hell?

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 am

Scsigs wrote:Why do they call it Earth's Hell? I kinda was ok with Frieza saying it, but then Beerus did the same. Why? It's the same Hell as anyone else would experience, isn't it? Or at least Frieza's own private version of Hell?
Because each planet has its own hell. Freeza's area is part of Earth's Hell.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Man the Champa and Beerus moment.... Throwing us a bone for a few weeks.

Jason L. as Champa is amazingggggg. Should put doubters to rest now. :)

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Man they did a good job casting Champa. He's better than the Japanese version. Vados voice sounds too "sexy" lol

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Why do they call it Earth's Hell? I kinda was ok with Frieza saying it, but then Beerus did the same. Why? It's the same Hell as anyone else would experience, isn't it? Or at least Frieza's own private version of Hell?
That makes no sense, though.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I just had this thought. If Xenoverse 2's anything to go by, then how Goku Black is portrayed in the dub of Super is influenced by people possibly knowing that plot twist going in, which is how you DON'T handle a dub. You're supposed to present the information as it is & do similar portrayals as the Japanese version, just in another language, regardless of if people have seen it before. This isn't the 90s-early 2000s anymore.
Quick question, which voice do you like better, Rose or Base? I'm gonna go with Rose, because God the base voice gives me nightmares. It sounds scary as hell.
I don't like both voices. Sean sounds too nice with that British accent.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
That makes no sense, though.
Well, Hell needs to be capable of holding just as many people as the living realm does, right? You wouldn't fit all the evil souls in the universe onto a single regular planet, so perhaps by "Earth's Hell" it's more like "Earth's sector of Hell" as opposed to "A Hell reserved specifically for Earthlings"?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Did everyone forget that Freeza died on the Earth? At least the first time lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: