"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by gohan_black » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

magetta voice is awesome. way cooler then the japanese version

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:58 pm

HeroR wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I don't get why they bothered to change his voice. Magetta's dialogue was all gibberish anyway so it's not like he really needed to be dubbed. :eh:
Very few dubbing companies leave the Japanese voice even if it’s gibberish. Pokémon is one of the few exceptions.
Yeah, I find it strange that people are so surprised that they didn't use the Japanese audio. I mean, they even redubbed the Titans in Attack on Titan.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Hit!! wrote:Its so exciting to know that by the end of this year we might be in the Zamasu Arc..
We won't. The Zamasu arc starts (officially) at 47, which will fall basically on Christmas. Adult Swim / Toonami will probably do another two marathons before then (minimum), so it'll be around the 6th or 13th of January

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't really see the big deal, Magetta is a nothing character anyway, after next episode he loses more or less any relevancy in the show.
So do most of the cast outside of Hit, so not really seeing what point you're making here.
Besides hit Cabba seems to have somewhat more relavancy than the rest of the universe 6 team

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:57 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Agree to disagree, to say not even remotely is ludicrous, I have faith in my hearing.

If he's not saying the f bomb, they manipulated his speech to sound pretty damn close to it, whether intentional or not.
Either turn up your computer's volume, or try out a decent pair of headphones with a comfortable volume, because he's saying "thwack" under than synthesizer.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
HeroR wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I don't get why they bothered to change his voice. Magetta's dialogue was all gibberish anyway so it's not like he really needed to be dubbed. :eh:
Very few dubbing companies leave the Japanese voice even if it’s gibberish. Pokémon is one of the few exceptions.
Yeah, I find it strange that people are so surprised that they didn't use the Japanese audio. I mean, they even redubbed the Titans in Attack on Titan.
That kind of think depends on who the director is. That's why some of Funimation's dubs use honorifics and why Japanese songs a character might sing are dubbed sometimes but not all the time.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 am

I don't know if I'm hearing it wrong or something but everytime Frost says Champa, it sounds like he's pronouncing it "Shampa". Maybe Greg Ayres is saying it fast so the Ch- sounds like a Sh- but it's rather weird. I could just be hearing it wrong though but as for Magetta, I really don't mind what they did to him. He has very little character as is so something like this isn't too offense. Honestly, I still really enjoy this dub, but I have to admit that sometimes it feels like they're rushing it out for TV and it leaves them a little wonky with the sound mixing, which was rather weird this past episode. I understand that any mistakes will be fixed on the Blu-ray and DVD and there really aren't that many in the first place (just a few script errors and some audio mixing issues) but still
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 pm

I was watching Scooby Doo:MI a few days ago and Marsters showed up to voice a bad guy, he did a pretty good job and so Zamasu isn't gonna be his first voice work, he does have some experience, I thought this role was gonna be his first in voice acting, kind of cool he got to work with some voice legends like Frank Welker! Really excited for his Zamasu!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I was watching Scooby Doo:MI a few days ago and Marsters showed up to voice a bad guy, he did a pretty good job and so Zamasu isn't gonna be his first voice work, he does have some experience, I thought this role was gonna be his first in voice acting, kind of cool he got to work with some voice legends like Frank Welker! Really excited for his Zamasu!
It isn't his first time voice acting, but it WILL be his first Anime voice acting gig. It's a bit different when dubbing over footage from a show that was originally done in another language than voicing a character in a show where the animation's done afterwards.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I was watching Scooby Doo:MI a few days ago and Marsters showed up to voice a bad guy, he did a pretty good job and so Zamasu isn't gonna be his first voice work, he does have some experience, I thought this role was gonna be his first in voice acting, kind of cool he got to work with some voice legends like Frank Welker! Really excited for his Zamasu!
Is funny because he also did king piccolo from evolution, he do have a lot of experience in voice acting but super is his first anime that he is dubbing.So who is gonna voice gowasu in the english dub
Mostly active on discord.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Agree to disagree, to say not even remotely is ludicrous, I have faith in my hearing.

If he's not saying the f bomb, they manipulated his speech to sound pretty damn close to it, whether intentional or not.
Either turn up your computer's volume, or try out a decent pair of headphones with a comfortable volume, because he's saying "thwack" under than synthesizer.
No need to get defensive just because someone corrects you, are you sure you still not confusing clips? However I'll still give another listen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:57 pm

I do find it funny that this "controversy" has probably given Magetta more attention than he has ever had. :lol:

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

How come I can't find any episodes of the Funi dub online that are in 1080p? No matter where I look everything is 720p, even from official sources like adultswim. What gives?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
No need to get defensive just because someone corrects you, are you sure you still not confusing clips? However I'll still give another listen.
Well, I mean, I'm a pretty good judge of mondegreen & I'm not being defensive because you "corrected" me, which you didn't, you just stated what you heard, I'm being defensive because I'm right. I' betting if you asked the dub team what the line in the script was, they'd say the same thing. He's saying "thwack," not "f*ck." You can clearly hear the "th" in the word there.
Edit: The clip isn't very good in terms of audio or visual quality. If a better one can be found, I'll post it, but the audio still sounds the same to me in the dialogue.
Edit #2: Found one, though the audio sounds a little tinny, it's the same result for me.
https://youtu.be/VNqMXo5tjGg?t=1m44s
Asura wrote:How come I can't find any episodes of the Funi dub online that are in 1080p? No matter where I look everything is 720p, even from official sources like adultswim. What gives?
Because that's the max definition & resolution the episodes are broadcasted in. If you want the episodes to be in 1080p, you'll need to wait to find Blu-Ray rips, or sync the dub audio to 1080p Japanese Blu-Ray rips yourself, or maybe find someone who's doing just that, sorry.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I do find it funny that this "controversy" has probably given Magetta more attention than he has ever had. :lol:
I know, right? Never heard a thing about this guy before today &, while I don't always watch the sub, I do stay up to date on the story when something major happens.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JINTM ... e=youtu.be

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I do find it funny that this "controversy" has probably given Magetta more attention than he has ever had. :lol:
I like Magetta! I honestly think his fight with Vegeta was a turning point for the series back when it was first airing. But still, if you're going to do something a bit weird and wacky with the dub, he's the character you do it with haha

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Either turn up your computer's volume, or try out a decent pair of headphones with a comfortable volume, because he's saying "thwack" under than synthesizer.
Well, I mean, I'm a pretty good judge of mondegreen & I'm not being defensive because you "corrected" me, which you didn't, you just stated what you heard, I'm being defensive because I'm right. I' betting if you asked the dub team what the line in the script was, they'd say the same thing. He's saying "thwack," not "f*ck." You can clearly hear the "th" in the word there.
Edit: The clip isn't very good in terms of audio or visual quality. If a better one can be found, I'll post it, but the audio still sounds the same to me in the dialogue.
Edit #2: Found one, though the audio sounds a little tinny, it's the same result for me.
https://youtu.be/VNqMXo5tjGg?t=1m44s
Asura wrote:How come I can't find any episodes of the Funi dub online that are in 1080p? No matter where I look everything is 720p, even from official sources like adultswim. What gives?
Because that's the max definition & resolution the episodes are broadcasted in. If you want the episodes to be in 1080p, you'll need to wait to find Blu-Ray rips, or sync the dub audio to 1080p Japanese Blu-Ray rips yourself, or maybe find someone who's doing just that, sorry.
I know, right? Never heard a thing about this guy before today &, while I don't always watch the sub, I do stay up to date on the story when something major happens.
Actually I did correct you as you initially posted the wrong clip, but anyway I'll give them another listen.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 pm

DHM211 wrote:Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

Yeah I think your right, I didn't think Mills laughs were as dynamic as Chris but the rest of it was fine.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Not sure if it's been pointed out, but some additional lines of Frieza have been re-dubbed for the blu-ray. I'm not positive, but it sounds like Daman Mills.

Yeah I think your right, I didn't think Mills laughs were as dynamic as Chris but the rest of it was fine.
Honestly Daman Mills is fantastic. If Chris Ayres can't continue, I would love for him to fully take over. I can barely tell it's a different voice.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
I don't get it though, I can instantly watch the latest sub episode of Super in 1080p the day it comes out, but all the episodes which have existed for over a year now are being broadcasted in 720p for the dub? Why is this?