"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 am

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No banning? They just got straight up Zen-Oh erased!

Anyway we get that sparring match tomorrow! Should be exciting!

Also Marchi was the teacher. Interesting. Could of sworn that was Colleen! Speaking of, anyone impressed with her Mai? Really good! Very nuanced from her previous roles in the series.
Well, Colleen's been voicing Mai as a kid ever since 2013, so I don't know why some people I've seen were surprised by that, unless they expected her original voice actress, Julie Franklin, to resume the role, but she hasn't been in anything since GT.

I don't Julie Franklin would have fit for this version of Mai anyway, she worked for the 40 year old Mai. Colleen is doing a great job.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:No banning? They just got straight up Zen-Oh erased!

Anyway we get that sparring match tomorrow! Should be exciting!

Also Marchi was the teacher. Interesting. Could of sworn that was Colleen! Speaking of, anyone impressed with her Mai? Really good! Very nuanced from her previous roles in the series.
Well, Colleen's been voicing Mai as a kid ever since 2013, so I don't know why some people I've seen were surprised by that, unless they expected her original voice actress, Julie Franklin, to resume the role, but she hasn't been in anything since GT.
I don't Julie Franklin would have fit for this version of Mai anyway, she worked for the 40 year old Mai. Colleen is doing a great job.
I never said who was better, just that it shouldn't surprise anyone that Colleen's her voice actress passed her kid age now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 am

Scsigs wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
You don't wanna know, I'll just say that. Thankfully, looks like it's been handled.
Now I gotta know. Someone fill me in?
Basically, the guy got banned for saying things to the admin that he shouldn't have. Not surprising, considering his general attitude on this forum, really.
i think the problem is the site and not this user. you cant say anything here. its like a dictatorship. you cant even write a short comment. everything you do is wrong for the moderators. they are dictators and this site is 1984 for them. they want every user to write a scroll in each comment. anyone saying anything bad about the series is getting banned. memes arnt allowed. this place is terrible.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 am

God please stop being a drama llama. That guy was a major jerk and he was warned repeatedly and refused to listen. Why are you defending him like that?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:48 am

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
Now I gotta know. Someone fill me in?
Basically, the guy got banned for saying things to the admin that he shouldn't have. Not surprising, considering his general attitude on this forum, really.
i think the problem is the site and not this user. you cant say anything here. its like a dictatorship. you cant even write a short comment. everything you do is wrong for the moderators. they are dictators and this site is 1984 for them. they want every user to write a scroll in each comment. anyone saying anything bad about the series is getting banned. memes arnt allowed. this place is terrible.
If its so terrible then why are you still here? Since when are memes not allowed? If you think the moderators don't make fun of the series then you obviously don't listen to the podcast or follow them on social media, because they do constantly. The hell are you on about?
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:03 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:God please stop being a drama llama. That guy was a major jerk and he was warned repeatedly and refused to listen. Why are you defending him like that?
no he wasent. he was simpely saying his opinion. it is the moderators who are the problem not him. in any other forum nobody would say a thing to him. but here it is not allowed to say something that isnt popular. the moderators of this forums are dictators. they hate free speech. they would be great leaders of a commuinist shithole. this is their style.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 am

gohan_black wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:God please stop being a drama llama. That guy was a major jerk and he was warned repeatedly and refused to listen. Why are you defending him like that?
no he wasent. he was simpely saying his opinion. it is the moderators who are the problem not him. in any other forum nobody would say a thing to him. but here it is not allowed to say something that isnt popular. the moderators of this forums are dictators. they hate free speech. they would be great leaders of a commuinist shithole. this is their style.
Saying that peoples opinions are being filtered on this site is completely asinine, one of the best things about this site is the massive diversity of opinions and views. The reason users like Puar get banned(or in their case, deleted from existence), is because they don't follow or repeatedly break the rules relating to tone and emphasis when posting. There is no need to accuse the moderators of being communist dictators, and there is nothing that really incites such a response.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 am

gohan_black wrote:i think the problem is the site and not this user. you cant say anything here. its like a dictatorship. you cant even write a short comment. everything you do is wrong for the moderators. they are dictators and this site is 1984 for them. they want every user to write a scroll in each comment. anyone saying anything bad about the series is getting banned. memes arnt allowed. this place is terrible.
You have two formal warnings:

One for repeatedly posting low-effort contributions in all-caps despite multiple free warnings (15 infractions!). The other for, and I quote:
Look at the butthurt loser get triggerd. It has everything to do with the thread you troll loser
There is demonstrably no issue with any moderation carried out involving your posts. Stop playing the victim.

If you cannot act like a reasonable and mature person, and follow some very easy rules, then please do leave. Nobody's holding you hostage.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:21 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Nah, the mods are pretty cool and you have to really fuck up, before they boot you out, hell we once had a situation, where a user called Mike a lady and generally criticized him for the way he ran this board, but instead of getting instantly banned like a true dictatorship would have done, Mike turned the criticism into a joke rule, that he was indeed a lady and a terrible admin.
The fact, that puar got wiped from the forums completely suggests he really screwed up, rather than the mods being too tough and this being like a dictatorship, because there are several steps before even getting to that point.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 pm

gohan_black wrote:no he wasn't. he was simply saying his opinion. it is the moderators who are the problem not him. in any other forum nobody would say a thing to him. but here it is not allowed to say something that isn't popular. the moderators of this forums are dictators. they hate free speech. they would be great leaders of a communist shithole. this is their style.
Considering how you both type & that you seem to think similarly to him, it's not a wonder you defend him. Considering Puar was a guy who constantly lashed out against people with other opinions, & was insistent on his opinions being the only ones that mattered, then was surprised that he was on the verge of being suspended. He then poked the bear by saying, as I've been told, "fuck off you fucking fascist" to a moderator, and now I bet he's wherever he is spouting that he was unfairly & unjustly banned from here, despite the evidence.

The mods are actually pretty lenient a lot of the time over what can be said here. They just don't appreciate people who come to just spout opinions & don't allow anyone else's opinions to make sense to them. Puar's most recent opinions showcase this in that he didn't like Sean Schemmel's Goku Black, which is fair enough, opinions be opinions & he has a minority one, but his reasoning didn't make any sense. He was apparently expecting a more obvious shift in Schemmel's voice like Nozawa, which was completely stupid to do because, for one, Schemmel doesn't take a lot of influence from her &, two, his voice & performance are very different from hers. The voice Sean gives him now is a great one & one I expected from the start. We'll see how the accent thing plays out (though not all of us are looking forward to it), but right now it's really good. All of this was explained to him, but he blatantly ignored those of us who pointed it out to him, or wrote us off as wrong, despite all of that being opinion based...it's just that our opinions were based on facts, observations, & realism. The best he could come up with is that it's not different from his regular Goku performance, which isn't entirely true if you actually listen to both of them & several of us pointed that out to him, but he wouldn't listen. The mods didn't remove his posts or ban him.
Hell, I've made posts making fun of Masako Nozawa as Goku in Japan & they didn't ban ME, considering they might have a bias towards the Japanese dub, which I understand, but I think some of them might understand why someone wouldn't care for her voice as Goku, or at least acknowledge that not everyone would like her if they heard her. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't at least get a warning from a mod to post any grievances he has with Team Four Staar in their forum rather than this one, but it's all come to a head with his ban.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:no he wasn't. he was simply saying his opinion. it is the moderators who are the problem not him. in any other forum nobody would say a thing to him. but here it is not allowed to say something that isn't popular. the moderators of this forums are dictators. they hate free speech. they would be great leaders of a communist shithole. this is their style.
Considering how you both type & that you seem to think similarly to him, it's not a wonder you defend him. Considering Puar was a guy who constantly lashed out against people with other opinions, & was insistent on his opinions being the only ones that mattered, then was surprised that he was on the verge of being suspended. He then poked the bear by saying, as I've been told, "fuck off you fucking fascist" to a moderator, and now I bet he's wherever he is spouting that he was unfairly & unjustly banned from here, despite the evidence.

The mods are actually pretty lenient a lot of the time over what can be said here. They just don't appreciate people who come to just spout opinions & don't allow anyone else's opinions to make sense to them. Puar's most recent opinions showcase this in that he didn't like Sean Schemmel's Goku Black, which is fair enough, opinions be opinions & he has a minority one, but his reasoning didn't make any sense. He was apparently expecting a more obvious shift in Schemmel's voice like Nozawa, which was completely stupid to do because, for one, Schemmel doesn't take a lot of influence from her &, two, his voice & performance are very different from hers. The voice Sean gives him now is a great one & one I expected from the start. We'll see how the accent thing plays out (though not all of us are looking forward to it), but right now it's really good. All of this was explained to him, but he blatantly ignored those of us who pointed it out to him, or wrote us off as wrong, despite all of that being opinion based...it's just that our opinions were based on facts, observations, & realism. The best he could come up with is that it's not different from his regular Goku performance, which isn't entirely true if you actually listen to both of them & several of us pointed that out to him, but he wouldn't listen. The mods didn't remove his posts or ban him.
Hell, I've made posts making fun of Masako Nozawa as Goku in Japan & they didn't ban ME, considering they might have a bias towards the Japanese dub, which I understand, but I think some of them might understand why someone wouldn't care for her voice as Goku, or at least acknowledge that not everyone would like her if they heard her. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't at least get a warning from a mod to post any grievances he has with Team Four Staar in their forum rather than this one, but it's all come to a head with his ban.
It seems like there’s a different standard between moderators. Some will give you strikes, others will ban you on your first offense. I know Nameksaiyan got banned for something silly. He was never known for posting anything aggressive and then *Poof*. He’s banned. Whereas I see somebody here talk crap and get multiple slaps on the wrist. It’s kinda silly really. Everybody needs to be at the same standard.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm

The episode airing today, had the Japanese OP instead of the Engrish one.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Huh. They switched back to the Japanese version of the theme song for some reason.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Not specifically a funimation thing, but Toonami's switched back to the Japanese lyrics of Chouzetsu Dynamic this week

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 pm

mint0h wrote:The episode airing today, had the Japanese OP instead of the Engrish one.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting. I guess they figure since they don't put the English version on the Blu-rays, why use it? Also isn't this the first episode to use the fifth ending?
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Why do they pronounce it "Capsule Core" now? Hasn't it always been consistently pronounced with the "p" at the end of the word?

Also, just thought of this, but is Future Bulma's book a reference to the River Song/Doctor ones in Doctor Who, or is that just a coincidence?

Also, I just love how they pepper in Goku saying "dude." Won't use "ain't," or "Son," but "dude." I find that just hilarious.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
mint0h wrote:The episode airing today, had the Japanese OP instead of the Engrish one.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting. I guess they figure since they don't put the English version on the Blu-rays, why use it? Also isn't this the first episode to use the fifth ending?
Nope that's the next episode and Forever Dreaming was still in English in this episode
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 am

Scsigs wrote:Why do they pronounce it "Capsule Core" now? Hasn't it always been consistently pronounced with the "p" at the end of the word?

Also, just thought of this, but is Future Bulma's book a reference to the River Song/Doctor ones in Doctor Who, or is that just a coincidence?

Also, I just love how they pepper in Goku saying "dude." Won't use "ain't," or "Son," but "dude." I find that just hilarious.
Yeah it was always Corp until the other week when the Future Trunks saga started. Core would make more sense if it was Capsule Corps. I notice they also pronounce Shu as Shou now, when it was always Shu in Dragon Ball.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:24 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:Yeah it was always Corp until the other week when the Future Trunks saga started. Core would make more sense if it was Capsule Corps. I notice they also pronounce Shu as Shou now, when it was always Shu in Dragon Ball.
I mean, with "Shou," maybe it could be for making up for mispronouncing it in DB, but that depends on if they pronounce it like that in Japanese. Do they? I mean, it's a more Chinese way of pronouncing the name, I think, but is it the same in Japan?
"Corp" doesn't make any sense to pronounce "core" unless there's an "s" at the end as you said. Since in-universe it's never been romanized with the "s," this doesn't make any sense, clearly. I'm really questioning some of the direction choices Sabat's making. Sadly, this isn't the first FUNi dub to make pronunciation changes for some reason that doesn't make any sense. One Piece, starting at the Thriller Bark Arc, made some weird direction decisions. Mainly in pronouncing some words more like a Japanese person would, like "samurai" sounding like "saumurai" instead. It's a decision first made, I believe, in Attack on Titan's dub, where they pronounced things more like a German person word, yet in that dub, it at least made sense, given the setting & words involved. Both of those dubs are mainly directed & produced by Mike MacFarlane, so I wonder if he talked to Sabat about those.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:55 am

Anyone else found it weird when both Trunks and Goku called Black "Goku Black" rather than just "Black" at the end of the episode? I don't think they ever called him by his full name in Japanese.