"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 am

PremiumSalt wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Veronica Taylor as Berryblue
Veronica Taylor is voicing a second character? I was under the impression FUNimation wasn't giving cast members more than one DB role these days, outside of pre existing characters of course.
Considering she's such a high-profile talent in the anime world, I'm not shocked they decided to make an exception in her case. I mean, it's only natural that they'd take advantage of this opportunity to record with the voice of Ash Ketchum herself by having her play a supporting role in the Super movie as well as Ribrianne in the TV series.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Noah wrote:Has FUNimation completed the Boo arc on Kai 2.0?
Over a year ago now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:24 pm

If the rumors of Veronica Taylor voicing Ribrianne are true, then I gotta say that this is almost too fitting. Aside from being a sailor scout in the VIZ dub of Sailor Moon, she's done a lot of voice work for the most hated dubbing company out there (4kids), and since Ribrianne is the most annoying character in the tournament, she's ironically a good fit for the character. All I ask is that if she's walking through FUNimations studio, that the people working on One Piece glare at her as she walks by.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:If the rumors of Veronica Taylor voicing Ribrianne are true, then I gotta say that this is almost too fitting. Aside from being a sailor scout in the VIZ dub of Sailor Moon, she's done a lot of voice work for the most hated dubbing company out there (4kids), and since Ribrianne is the most annoying character in the tournament, she's ironically a good fit for the character. All I ask is that if she's walking through FUNimations studio, that the people working on One Piece glare at her as she walks by.
So does that mean any voice actor that did voice work for a 4kids dub should be considered sem-pariah in the voice acting world now or that all the voice actors that did voice work for a 4kids dub are now semi-responsible for the decisions 4kids made?! :eh:

I rather take this as a Joke.......but still, 4kids decisions where their own, they should have considered themselves lucky to have had the talent they got when they got it and voices actors go where the work is and not other actors should give a negative glance to another for that.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I don't think they were judging her, just saying that having worked for an annoying company fits an annoying character's voice actress. I don't think anyone has a right to hate 4kids' cast for having been the cast of 4kids. After all, I was just talking about how much I love Mike Pollock.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm

You guys are being TOO kind to the poster who said such dreadful and pointlessly vindictive garbage. So as I usually I will have 2 responses just in case.

If its a joke: Its not funny to treat Ms Taylor like that, but if you just meant that as a joke it doesnt really hurt anyone.

If its not a joke: What the hell is wrong with you? She didnt do anything to you for you to think she deserves to be treated like that. The poor woman just acted. She didnt edit, she didnt replace soundtracks she didnt do anything to One Piece other than acting on that dreadful dub UNDER THE SHITTEIEST CONDITIONS EVER. For gods sake.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 pm

People on staff of the series being insulted is hardly new. I'm not gonna apologize for not flaming someone saying milder things than I see about Toriyama, Toyotaro or Yamamuro here on a near-daily basis, even if I don't like those things.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 pm

I meant the other person who said "When Veronica Taylor passes through the One Piece studio on Funimation the crew should glare at her in contempt". You are MEGA COOL with me Shaddy. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Oh I didn't read that, yeah that's a dickish thing to say.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Actually Michael Sinterniklaas appeared in both the 4Kids dub of One Piece as well as the Funimation dub. So don't think folks would give her a bad time for it, even if she wasn't directed so good there. (Only role of hers didn't like, as others were good). And both actors rocked as Leonardo and April and were friendly when I met them.

Speaking of One Piece, one of the others announced is the right-hand man of the Pirate King.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Shaddy wrote:I don't think they were judging her, just saying that having worked for an annoying company fits an annoying character's voice actress. I don't think anyone has a right to hate 4kids' cast for having been the cast of 4kids. After all, I was just talking about how much I love Mike Pollock.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You guys are being TOO kind to the poster who said such dreadful and pointlessly vindictive garbage. So as I usually I will have 2 responses just in case.

If its a joke: Its not funny to treat Ms Taylor like that, but if you just meant that as a joke it doesnt really hurt anyone.

If its not a joke: What the hell is wrong with you? She didnt do anything to you for you to think she deserves to be treated like that. The poor woman just acted. She didnt edit, she didnt replace soundtracks she didnt do anything to One Piece other than acting on that dreadful dub UNDER THE SHITTEIEST CONDITIONS EVER. For gods sake.
Yea I just found the Comment uprisings, The "When Veronica Taylor passes through the One Piece studio on Funimation the crew should glare at her in contempt" just cause she worked for 4kids. Did not know whether it was meant as a Joke or serious, but either way just cause one was not found of what 4Kids did to One Piece and it makes sense to be, does not mean the Voice Actors should bear the Burden of those faults, if anything they might have been the only good thing to come out of that production cause of their great voice-talent, just bad management.

As for the parts about Taylor working for a Annoying company fits with her voicing Brianne, I get most of it comes as a joking point and I usually take it as that. Many Fans know around here My Feels on Ribrianne/Brianne and the debuts I have had standing up for her, but Really what I am Inspired by is the fact that earlier this Year Veronica Taylor showed interest in Play the part of Ribrianne and that was just great to hear and to know this is a role she wanted to do.

So I have a Hopeful Belief that she will bring a Point of Voice to Ribrianne/Brianne's character that will help bring more positive Views to Fans of her Character that they might not have got sadly in her 1st go around.

She is great character and I am honored that a Legend like Veronica Taylor is voicing her and had interest from the start doing it! :)
My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:26 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Veronica Taylor as Berryblue
Veronica Taylor is voicing a second character? I was under the impression FUNimation wasn't giving cast members more than one DB role these days, outside of pre existing characters of course.
Considering she's such a high-profile talent in the anime world, I'm not shocked they decided to make an exception in her case. I mean, it's only natural that they'd take advantage of this opportunity to record with the voice of Ash Ketchum herself by having her play a supporting role in the Super movie as well as Ribrianne in the TV series.
I Agree OmegaRockman, you don't get such a well Known Voice Actress on your show and not use her to her full capacity or ablity for more then one role so long as she is will do to the work, which seems she is interested in doing with this other role which is cool! 8)
My #1 in DB!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:31 am

uncutpokemon wrote:If the rumors of Veronica Taylor voicing Ribrianne are true, then I gotta say that this is almost too fitting. Aside from being a sailor scout in the VIZ dub of Sailor Moon, she's done a lot of voice work for the most hated dubbing company out there (4kids), and since Ribrianne is the most annoying character in the tournament, she's ironically a good fit for the character. All I ask is that if she's walking through FUNimation's studio, that the people working on One Piece glare at her as she walks by.
Not surprised someone who goes by the username "uncutpokemon" is the one to make this bullshit statement.

First of all, 4Kids WAS annoying, but she wasn't a bad actress. In fact, most of 4Kids' actors are genuinely great actors. The fact that she's probably the best Ash Ketchum in English shows this. Explain to me how exactly her having worked for that company translates to her being annoying, or her playing an annoying character for another anime company's dub of an entirely different series than what she was known for.

Second, why would she get glares from the team that dubs One Piece? They most likely haven't seen the 4Kids dub of the show & even if they did, why would they blame her for the dub being bad? They'd know that she's an extremely talented actress & that it was due to bad scripts, direction, & the censorship that caused the 4Kids dub to fail miserably. That's well documented as well as 4Kids' higher-ups themselves admitting that the show didn't work with them. They literally only got it when they wanted to dub other shows from Toei, but they included it in a package deal with the shows they actually wanted. Why Toei went with 4Kids, I'll never know, but Veronica Taylor just wasn't the one responsible for that trainwreck of a dub. How anyone can think that is beyond me, even as a joke.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

uncutpokemon wrote:All I ask is that if she's walking through FUNimations studio, that the people working on One Piece glare at her as she walks by.
Which is not happening because she didn't do the crappy edits nor wrote the cheesy scripts, she just lent her voice to the show and that's all. A voice actor or actress only represent the characters they voice, not the whole frickin' show. Also, I doubt people at FUNi take things too personally (Well... except for the Bang Zoom dub situation).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:07 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote:That was really weird and inconsistent to change Oolong's voice in the middle of the series, since Brad Jackson had returned for Super. Hopefully by the time the blu ray comes out they redub it for consistency.
Brad Jackson seems to have a weird track record with getting temporarily replaced due to supposed unavailability. He originally voiced Oolong in the 1998 dub of Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle, but was replaced by Mark Britten for season 3. Then he was replaced by Bryan Massey for Kai 1.0, and now he apparently had Bryan Massey filling in for him for episode 89.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

Another Legends-related first look: Vic Mignogna spouting some full sentences as the new Broli. Mignogna seemed to have found a good sweet spot for his revised Broli vocals since the past few video game appearances.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Actually Michael Sinterniklaas appeared in both the 4Kids dub of One Piece as well as the Funimation dub. So don't think folks would give her a bad time for it, even if she wasn't directed so good there. (Only role of hers didn't like, as others were good). And both actors rocked as Leonardo and April and were friendly when I met them.

Speaking of One Piece, one of the others announced is the right-hand man of the Pirate King.
Not only Michael, but Sean Schemmel too.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Shaddy wrote:Man, imagine if we got a DB Super marathon or two with all those built up episodes. Would make catching up to the Japanese version a lot easier. For all we know they could be months worth of episodes into Super part 2 by the time the US gets done with the ToP.
I guess I got my wish.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Those arent new episodes. Those are reruns.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm

well fuck me then