"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Many people would condemn that mistake, but I think its noble that they admitted it and corrected it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:46 am

No Super solicitated but more Kai.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 pm

(Sorry for the double posting but I can't edit).

So I think this will be FUNi's plan:

June- Final Kai BD solicited.
July- Champa arc starts on AS, FUNi then push the hype and announce Super on BD and make it hyper-er. 12/13 eps.
August- Super part two is announced.
September- Super part three is announced.
December- Super part four is announced. (Normal schedule here on out)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: You are quite right was just really wishful thinking on my part so we can power through these retellings. They almost will collect it they do that with every release. I just hope they are able to use the rental DVD covers as opposed to the boring BD ones, or at the very least they can be reversible covers.
Yeah, I'd like to see the retellings sooner rather than later, I'm really curious about how the Future Trunks arc will be handled. I was listening to one of Geekdom's Q&As recently and in it he said Sabat told him "You won't believe how good Zamasu's actor will be" or something to that effect, so I'm cautiously optimistic there's an Ayres-level performer already cast in that role. If that's true all the arc will need is for Schemmel to really learn the character of Black to nail that role.
Whoa did not know that pretty interesting they are looking that far ahead. Sean is a capable actor sure he will use XV2 as a learning curve especially since there was no context.
Go to 24:02 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2E0PWa4e60&t=1175s and you will hear him talk about this. Oh Sean is great, I actually don't mind his Black in Xenoverse 2, I would just prefer if he drops the gruff and uses a more eloquent tone to keep true to the spirit of Nozawa's performance.
Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see the retellings sooner rather than later, I'm really curious about how the Future Trunks arc will be handled. I was listening to one of Geekdom's Q&As recently and in it he said Sabat told him "You won't believe how good Zamasu's actor will be" or something to that effect, so I'm cautiously optimistic there's an Ayres-level performer already cast in that role. If that's true all the arc will need is for Schemmel to really learn the character of Black to nail that role.
I'm just wondering if he's looking towards the future, there's Zamasu DLC coming to Xenoverse 2, or they're in the process of dubbing the arc, just waiting to announce it formally.
I wouldn't say they're dubbing the Future Trunks arc, but I would imagine casting done for the later arcs around the time Funimation got the Super licence so that the actors for the newer characters could find their feat, especially because they would have the time the current cast were recording the first two arcs to grow into the characters.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:(Sorry for the double posting but I can't edit).

July- Champa arc starts on AS, FUNi then push the hype and announce Super on BD and make it hyper-er. 12/13 eps.
That sounds like a reasonable plan for future releases. I'd imagine there will also be 2-3 parts out by the year end to take advantage of the Christmas market.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm trying to wonder the logistics of them releasing parts for Super so quickly. I'd imagine every few months, not exactly 3 months in a row, especially when they only have 26-27 episodes so far.
Kai TFC makes sense, those should've been out by now anyways, but Super, I'm not so sure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Scsigs wrote:

I'm trying to wonder the logistics of them releasing parts for Super so quickly. I'd imagine every few months, not exactly 3 months in a row, especially when they only have 26-27 episodes so far.
Kai TFC makes sense, those should've been out by now anyways, but Super, I'm not so sure.
Three months maybe a bit much but I think two months in a row might still be possible, the reason why I suggest this is because it'll make up for lost time and allows them to power through the retellings and be on par or slightly ahead of Toonami. As for only having 26 episodes, they don't they have more their initial announcement said they had a multi year deal, the 26 episodes for the dub was just so they can market it as seasons, others lile France and Italy dub press releases said the same but we know France have dubbed well above.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:So I think this will be FUNi's plan:

Wait, no Future Trunks arc in November? :(
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Noah wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So I think this will be FUNi's plan:

Wait, no Future Trunks arc in November? :(
We don't even know when the episodes after Resurrection F will be dubbed, let alone aired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:We don't even know when the episodes after Resurrection F will be dubbed, let alone aired.
Well...
Gafonso6 wrote:You just have to do the math, with one episode per week episode 28 will air on July 9th.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Noah wrote:
Scsigs wrote:We don't even know when the episodes after Resurrection F will be dubbed, let alone aired.
Well...
Gafonso6 wrote:You just have to do the math, with one episode per week episode 28 will air on July 9th.
I didn't say they wouldn't. The question is are they going to start dubbing the episodes in time to continue right after the current batch, or are they going to wait a little bit & start airing them weeks after?

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Scsigs wrote:I didn't say they wouldn't. The question is are they going to start dubbing the episodes in time to continue right after the current batch, or are they going to wait a little bit & start airing them weeks after?
I'm certain they've already started dubbing "Season 2" at least. If they were able to dub Kai as fast as they did for Nicktoons, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to dub another good chunk of episodes by July.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Scsigs wrote:I didn't say they wouldn't. The question is are they going to start dubbing the episodes in time to continue right after the current batch, or are they going to wait a little bit & start airing them weeks after?
I'm certain they've already started dubbing "Season 2" at least. If they were able to dub Kai as fast as they did for Nicktoons, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to dub another good chunk of episodes by July.
We'll see...

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
We'll see...
Watch me eat my words in 5 months...
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Even the dub can't save these episodes for me. Just like the original broadcast, Beerus arriving on Earth is the point when I stopped enjoying the show and quit watching until they reached the U6 arc. The amount of padding and drawn out scenes is ridiculous, and just makes me think of the superior movie

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:32 pm

I think this episode is taken from decent to really strong by the dub. Their dialogue and acting choices are just so stylized. I preferred much of this episode in the dub.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:44 am

OLKv3 wrote:Even the dub can't save these episodes for me. Just like the original broadcast, Beerus arriving on Earth is the point when I stopped enjoying the show and quit watching until they reached the U6 arc. The amount of padding and drawn out scenes is ridiculous, and just makes me think of the superior movie
I kind of agree. While I enjoy a good scare episode, & Whis' camp gay-ness is kind of entertaining, the fact that there's pacing problems really holds this back.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Sabat did a good job as he possibly could with the awful MY BULMA! scene of Super but still it remains thoroughly bad. And yeah, I've tried to give this arc another go with the dub but it doesn't fix the horrendous padding at all. I'll probably just drop the dub until U6 rolls around so I can hear the new voices.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:27 pm

While I understand not being a fan of the retelling arcs dropping Super till U6 could be very bad. The ratings for toonami have been pretty bad so far this year. If a lot of people think the same way then Super could be in jeopardy. Toonami on general in fact and CN has shown they have no loyalty to anime in the past. Don't think for a second they would drop Toonami again. Do what you want but I will enjoy the fact we finally have Super dubbed.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
We don't even know when the episodes after Resurrection F will be dubbed, let alone aired.
Going by how they air the episodes so far, Episode 15 will air on April 22 which is when the ROF arc starts and will be over on August 5th. I don't see them taking seasonal breaks due to Toonami airing once a week for the last 5 years and showing repeats before we get new episodes will probably hurt ratings.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/