"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sean's, Rosé is sweet! Love it! Hope he carries it over to Super.
Heretic!
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:He said for the dlc, in other words he was clarifying that the Base Black already on XV2 is unchanged. He didn't mention anything about Super.
What does that have to do with anything? Obviously, he hasn't actually recorded it for Super yet, but this is going to be the foundation for the approach he takes there. He may tweak or improve it, but he won't change the entire thing fundamentally later just cause. He's obviously fine with it as-is, else he wouldn't of chosen this approach in the first place.
Sabat confirmed on Twitter that they'd be changing Black's voice to the posh one for Super
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Sabat confirmed on Twitter that they'd be changing Black's voice to the posh one for Super
Yeah he said " already in the works", and the SD teaser FUNi posted had Future Trunks in, could they be dubbing the Trunks arc for FUNiNow? Is that what the big secret is? Hmm...

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Also, Zamasu's voice sounds more like Christopher Corey Smith now rather than Mercer
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 pm

So... when do you think we'll get a confirmation of who is voicing Zamasu?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So... when do you think we'll get a confirmation of who is voicing Zamasu?
April 25th when the DLC is out officially though they had no problem announcing or showing Vados and Champa in that live stream before DLC was out so very odd...

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:We have heard ONE line and a bunch of grunts, and already everyone is judging it. Can we just wait till the DLC comes out on Tuesday and THEN judge? Seriously we're comparing Sean saying one line to Nozawa voicing Black over 17 episodes......
Unless he chose an entirely different voice for the lines we heard than anything else, there's no need to wait.
There's more to a performance then voice. Tone, delivery and other subtle nuances. It's like all the people who dimissed the Attack On Titan dub based on 5 two minute trailers. We can't fully criticize Sean's Goku Black performance in Dragon Ball Super until we get episode 47 and 48. This is a dub for a game, and to bring up a similar example of a game anime character being dubbed before the show, Naruto Storm 4 has Boruto and Sarada as DLC, both had completely different actors and voice mannerisms when the Boruto movie was dubbed one year later.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Battle of Z our first time hearing Jason and Ian as Beerus and Whis? And I seem to remember them being universally hated based on that games audio, now look at how many people love them.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:There's more to a performance then voice. Tone, delivery and other subtle nuances.
I'm not denying that, just saying that what we have heard from him is bad. Like, unforgivably so. I can judge what I've heard of his performance all I want, and legitimately so. Otherwise, I'd have to judge based on what I don't know, and that's just ridiculous.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:So... it seems like we were being overly-generous to Schemmel with Goku Black. According to him, he didn't actually change anything for Rose. That means that his intent is to turn his posh accent on and off depending on whether Black is transformed, which is... it's just the worst thing we could've expected.

Save us God-Emperor Sabat!

(In all seriousness, I'm still expecting it to improve, I just think posh speak exclusively for Rose is dumb. At least have a hint of it in his regular voice.)
I'm just hoping he's ditched the SS4 voice for him. At least then I'll be a bit happy.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 am

https://youtu.be/PwUmujxwADc - clearer hear of Zamasu, sounds kind of like Mercer to me...

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:So... it seems like we were being overly-generous to Schemmel with Goku Black. According to him, he didn't actually change anything for Rose. That means that his intent is to turn his posh accent on and off depending on whether Black is transformed, which is... it's just the worst thing we could've expected.

(In all seriousness, I'm still expecting it to improve, I just think posh speak exclusively for Rose is dumb. At least have a hint of it in his regular voice.)
Hate to burst your bubble but no idea where you're getting this from. When they recorded XV2 Black barely existed let alone his Rosé form so unless Sean is buddies with Yamamuro he wouldn't have known about Rosé hence why Sabat and Schemmel went in record saying they had zero context for Base Black because they did plus I'm fairly sure they also didn't have the JPN voices too hence why the lip faps were off in the intro.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Battle of Z our first time hearing Jason and Ian as Beerus and Whis? And I seem to remember them being universally hated based on that games audio, now look at how many people love them.
Yup! Heck even in the BoG trailers a lot of people still weren't feeling Beerus. The more I hear his Rosé the more I like it! Sabat told a fan who didn't like it that he'll like in in Super.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:https://youtu.be/PwUmujxwADc - clearer hear of Zamasu, sounds kind of like Mercer to me...

Hate to burst your bubble but no idea where you're getting this from. When they recorded XV2 Black barely existed let alone his Rosé form so unless Sean is buddies with Yamamuro he wouldn't have known about Rosé hence why Sabat and Schemmel went in record saying they had zero context for Base Black because they did plus I'm fairly sure they also didn't have the JPN voices too hence why the lip faps were off in the intro.
Hate to burst your bubble, but maybe you should actually look around for a few seconds before responding.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:https://youtu.be/PwUmujxwADc - clearer hear of Zamasu, sounds kind of like Mercer to me...

Hate to burst your bubble, but maybe you should actually look around for a few seconds before responding.
and...? All he is doing is clarifying that the Base Black in XV2 is unchanged, the new voice people are hearing is for SSR. In Super his Base Black is not gonna be that one form XV2, Sabat confirmed.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:And...? All he is doing is clarifying that the Base Black in XV2 is unchanged, the new voice people are hearing is for SSR. In Super his Base Black is not gonna be that one form XV2, Sabat confirmed.
It seems what's happening is that they're not gonna change the game's voice for base Goku Black, but they're DEFINITELY gonna be switching it up for the anime. I just hope it's to give his base form a less gruff voice in the Super dub. That's really all I want at this point.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:And...? All he is doing is clarifying that the Base Black in XV2 is unchanged, the new voice people are hearing is for SSR. In Super his Base Black is not gonna be that one form XV2, Sabat confirmed.
It seems what's happening is that they're not gonna change the game's voice for base Goku Black, but they're DEFINITELY gonna be switching it up for the anime. I just hope it's to give his base form a less gruff voice in the Super dub. That's really all I want at this point.
Rosé was already a huge improvement, in DBS I don't think his base will be that different it will be probably more subtle like his regular Goku's, Sabat said it's still in the works so no doubt they'll get it right and he said we'll like it, Sabat did afterall cast Ayres, Douglas and Sinclair and has been pretty perfect on all Super characters so far, so I'm not worried at all.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm confused, why does he need a different voice from Base Black to SSR? Btw Black needs to sound elegant and psychotic not deep and menacing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm

MagmonKai wrote:I'm confused, why does he need a different voice from Base Black to SSR? Btw Black needs to sound elegant and psychotic not deep and menacing.
It's probably to gauge fan reactions. And since Black is in SS Rose for a majority of his screen time when they go to the future, & he makes a lot of speeches, it's probably then is when the accent really comes in. My hope iis that it starts off similar to regular Goku, then slips into the RP as it goes on, slowly revealing who he is, especially if Zamasu ends up having the same accent to some degree. It would certainly help with the reveal if it were subtle like that.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Those of you who watch the English Dub of Dragon Ball Super Episode 15, how was it?
Caulifla best girl! :)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Those of you who watch the English Dub of Dragon Ball Super Episode 15, how was it?
It was funny​,I loved 15,is one of my favorite filler episode, Chris rager was the highlight, thanks God I watch this episode, because I was utterly bored with episode 87, this is filler done right
Mostly active on discord.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:46 am

The gr wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Those of you who watch the English Dub of Dragon Ball Super Episode 15, how was it?
It was funny​. I loved 15, it's one of my favorite filler episode, Chris Rager was the highlight, thank God I watched this episode, because I was utterly bored with episode 87, this is filler done right
Is it still filler when it's an episode in between 2 arcs in an anime not based on a manga?

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Is It just me or Is Sean making Goku's voice sound...more lighter, squeakier?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:21 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Is It just me or Is Sean making Goku's voice sound...more lighter, squeakier?
He has, but I would say that's a good thing. Goku is a country bumpkin and is meant to sound like a big manchild. Schemmel has mastered these essential traits to the character better than any other English dubbed actor we've had for Goku.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: