"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

usotsuki

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by usotsuki » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:37 pm

It's gonna be hard to rival Chris Ayres, that's for damn sure.

LexVO

Post by LexVO » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm

usotsuki wrote:It's gonna be hard to rival Chris Ayres, that's for damn sure.
We have great respect for all the other casts that are involved. We try not to rival each other. instead we appreciate the uniqueness that each performer brings to the show. :) Chris is great!!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 am

LexVO wrote:
usotsuki wrote:It's gonna be hard to rival Chris Ayres, that's for damn sure.
We have great respect for all the other casts that are involved. We try not to rival each other. instead we appreciate the uniqueness that each performer brings to the show. :) Chris is great!!
I'd recommend Little Kuriboh himself rather than his pro sound-alike.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:26 am

I really should keep up with this, I've pretty much enjoyed what I've seen, but I've been so burnt out lately. Anyone got any recommendations for which episodes I should look at?
Retired.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:50 am

LexVO wrote:Hi Guys! Just wanted to give an update. We are moving along recording the episodes and I am getting better at Goku everyday! Really starting to get to know the character. Remember, we were told to make it our own, and not copy anything anyone has done before, so that is very challenging, but also allows us to bring new life and expressions to the character.

Anyway, it's been lots of fun getting to know the show and the characters, and I am looking forward to making this dub one of the best out there. This cast is a star studded cast of pros. So proud to be among them. Every episode we all get better and better, as the story develops. Thanks for the support along the way. Who would have known? At the beginning it was pretty bleak, now it's getting pretty awesome! We've been getting great reviews the last few episodes because the voices and yells are finally falling into place. (it took a while) But now we have a show that I would be proud to see anywhere in the world. Congrats to the whole cast for coming so far!

all the best!
Lex
I'm really liking what I've seen of your Goku in recent eps., it sounds great! I really love the battle cries Goku makes when attacking too, especially those Kenshiro-esque shouts when attacking Beerus on King Kai's planet, it's a unique take compared to the usual fighting grunts. I hope to see you and every other cast member get even better as the series goes on!

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:51 pm

I think Martin Billany(or LittleKuriboh, for the ones who knows him from the Abridged series) would be really nice as Frieza in the Bang Zoom dub.

Martin also already works as professional Voice Actor. He dubbed a character called Sokabe in Ajin series.

Kaiji Tang was the one that had this idea at first. And I agree with him.

Also, I think that Lex really improved as Goku since the dub started, and I want a lot to see the next episodes dubbed by Bang Zoom, especially the Universe 6 Tournment.
I can imagine Johnny Yong Bosch or Griffin Burns as Kyabe and Pete Sepenuk as Hit.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Somehow I don't think they could get away with LittleKuriboh as Freeza. Maybe as Frost, but that would only be if DBZA doesn't cast him as Frost first, and in that case LittleKuriboh would lose the right to play Frost outside of the Bang Zoom dub and privately (like in conventions). Remember the Cell Games Reenactment incident with Funi Boo Kai?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am

Guys I believe Tamara Ryan (Android 18 in BZ dub) is playing frieza too, some days ago she did mention in her twitter that she got second character on DBS and I don't think there are any new female character in Frieza's revival saga. Judging by her excitement to mention it even before season 2 premier I think she could potentially play jaco, pan or frienza!! She has that great voice range so she could end up playing frieza..

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:Guys I believe Tamara Ryan (Android 18 in BZ dub) is playing frieza too, some days ago she did mention in her twitter that she got second character on DBS and I don't think there are any new female character in Frieza's revival saga. Judging by her excitement to mention it even before season 2 premier I think she could potentially play jaco, pan or frienza!! She has that great voice range so she could end up playing frieza..
Ugh, I don't want a woman to voice Frieza. Frieza isn't a woman. It would be a miscast, like Funi, Ocean and Blue Water Frieza were.

And I don't want LittleKuriboh to voice Frieza either. I don't think I could take him seriously. If they can get someone who can capture what Nakao does in the role, I'll be pleased.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:Guys I believe Tamara Ryan (Android 18 in BZ dub) is playing frieza too, some days ago she did mention in her twitter that she got second character on DBS and I don't think there are any new female character in Frieza's revival saga. Judging by her excitement to mention it even before season 2 premier I think she could potentially play jaco, pan or frienza!! She has that great voice range so she could end up playing frieza..
Ugh, I don't want a woman to voice Frieza. Frieza isn't a woman. It would be a miscast, like Funi, Ocean and Blue Water Frieza were.

And I don't want LittleKuriboh to voice Frieza either. I don't think I could take him seriously. If they can get someone who can capture what Nakao does in the role, I'll be pleased.
If a female voice can match Freeza's noble, arrogant, vengeful tone, I don't mind. However, I can't hear something like that in my head. Guess I'll know for myself soon enough.
Retired.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 pm

It could be Vados. She and Champa make their first appearance in the Resurrection F arc.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Wow, so I was bored and checked out episode 11 too see how this stacked up and boy I see what people are saying about the script, it really is bad they completely ruined the water monologue but I am still not feeling Lex, the awful "I can feel the power" line aside the deliver wasn't great either and Beerus just isn't intimidating at all, fortunately for this dub there are very few Beerus intimidating moments. Not really hearing the improvement people talked about, pretty much just gonna tune in for Freeza but this talk about a female voice actor is not exactly enthralling to hear.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:24 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:And I don't want LittleKuriboh to voice Frieza either. I don't think I could take him seriously. If they can get someone who can capture what Nakao does in the role, I'll be pleased.
You realize LK is a great Frieza in his own right, right? In the parts where he wasn't part of jokes, his Frieza was legitimately terrifying when he needed to be. If it were played completely straight, he'd be great. It's the reason Ayres essentially copies his voice for his portrayal.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:And I don't want LittleKuriboh to voice Frieza either. I don't think I could take him seriously. If they can get someone who can capture what Nakao does in the role, I'll be pleased.
You realize LK is a great Frieza in his own right, right? In the parts where he wasn't part of jokes, his Frieza was legitimately terrifying when he needed to be. If it were played completely straight, he'd be great. It's the reason Ayres essentially copies his voice for his portrayal.
Yes, I do like his Frieza, but I fear that just because it's LittleKuriboh, no one's gonna take Frieza seriously. If he makes his voice more threatening and less campy, then I can take him seriously. Personally, I just want someone that can capture Nakao's Frieza. I'd like Steve Blum to voice him, but this doesn't seem to be a union dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
I was with you until this gem right here. Why do you think he copied LK?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I've heard that he apparently copied it.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
It could be Vados. She and Champa make their first appearance in the Resurrection F arc.
Ohh yeah I almost forgot they had a Cameo in that Arc but I don't think they had any dialogs in resurrection of f arc, did they? (honestly i don't remember them talking in that cameo).. But if she is casted as Vados i'm really happy, she has unique voice like yuriko and it suits character perfectly i think!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It's the reason Ayres essentially copies his voice for his portrayal.
I was with you until this gem right here. Why do you think he copied LK?[/quote]
1. Chris Sabat, & many other FUNi staff members for that matter, are fans of TFS, so much that there are a few little references to them throughout the first 3 arcs. Being the dub director, he can do those kinds of things, only stopping short of getting them themselves, which I think we all know failed spectacularly because Toei hates them.
2. The voices are almost identical. Complete with a light British accent for Poshness, the voices only differ in that Ayres makes him sound more feminine, though even I noticed that the voices become pretty much identical during his fight with Goku in Kai.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It's the reason Ayres essentially copies his voice for his portrayal.
1. Chris Sabat, & many other FUNi staff members for that matter, are fans of TFS, so much that there are a few little references to them throughout the first 3 arcs. Being the dub director, he can do those kinds of things, only stopping short of getting them themselves, which I think we all know failed spectacularly because Toei hates them.
2. The voices are almost identical. Complete with a light British accent for Poshness, the voices only differ in that Ayres makes him sound more feminine, though even I noticed that the voices become pretty much identical during his fight with Goku in Kai.[/quote]

1. Yeah he could have, but that doesn't mean he did.

2. I suppose this is somewhat subjective, but I think you're just wrong. Chris Ayres is significantly less nasally sounding with a rough texture to his voice. This is really apparent in that first preview with him and the episode after where he's almost like Pauline Newstone. The accent is different too. LittleKurriboh is actually English while Chris Ayres' Freeza still has an American accent. His actual pronunciation is still 100% American. Him playing up the oily, smug qualities makes people think he sounds British because that kind of attitude is stereotypically associated with snooty Brits. It's not like LittleKurriboh invented this type of voice for Freeza either. It's all there in Ryusei Nakao's portrayal which Chris Ayres would obviously have been referencing given Funimation's modern dubbing practices.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Freeza's first episode in TFS came out in late April. Kai was mid June. If you really seriously think there was no pre-production for the Kai dub, you don't need to be talking about this stuff.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.