"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

usotsuki

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by usotsuki » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 pm

I mentioned "Trans-Atlantic accent" in a previous post. It's the old American theatrical accent and is sometimes used to represent poshness (for example, Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman occasionally use it in the Star Wars films when their chaaracters are asserting their royalty). Would that be a better description for what Ayres' Freeza is doing?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I STILL doubt Chris copied Little Kuriboh, its just a side effect of Little Kuriboh already being British. That battle was already won when someone pointed out that the dub was ready for months before the first Little Kuriboh as Freeza clip came.
Only he really knows if he did or not. He could've listened to LK at some point before recording originally, maybe not. He did just tell me this though https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 3317756928, so who knows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Wait, What?!

Another alternate English dub for a DB series...

The practices that have been used in distributing DB internationally over the years and some of the confusion that goes with it could be a lengthy book in itself. Some nice supplemental reading material to go along with the series' various incarnations.

So, from the bits that I've read, there's mixed responses on this cast. I've always wanted a cast change that better represents many of the characters: Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Adult Gohan, Bulma, Kuririn, Kaio, etc. I may have to check this out if it becomes available down the road just out of curiosity...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:08 am

Well the BZ dub is going on another re - run!!!! Wow talk about momentum killer, jeez. That's all my interest in this dub pretty much gone.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well the BZ dub is going on another re - run!!!! Wow talk about momentum killer, jeez. That's all my interest in this dub pretty much gone.
Man that's a huge bummer! But from what i have experienced so far, asian kids channel schedule is incredibly erratic.. i think they are going to interrupt rerun midway and air new season haha, Its always been that way over here!!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:44 pm

From what I've seen/heard of the dub, it's alright. There are definitely some standout performances, but I'm not sure it really stands up to the FUNimation dub of Super. At most, as a whole, I think they are at lesst somewhat equal perhaps.

What I find interesting is the fact that they kept sone dubisms and changed some back to theor original Japanese counterparts. Normally, this would be a welcome change all around, and it still is, but in this context, it's confusing. Toonami Asia has aired Dragon Ball, and Z (and Kai if I recall correctly) with the FUNimation dub, so I'm not sure why Toonami Asia thought it a good idea for them to be changed back to the original names, as I'm sure it might have caused some confusion among fans of the show who were exposed to it via the network.

Regardless, as a fan of the FUNimation dub currently airing on Toonami, this is, to me, a nice little side dub with a stellar cast.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well the BZ dub is going on another re - run!!!! Wow talk about momentum killer, jeez. That's all my interest in this dub pretty much gone.
Man that's a huge bummer! But from what i have experienced so far, asian kids channel schedule is incredibly erratic.. i think they are going to interrupt rerun midway and air new season haha, Its always been that way over here!!
Ahh that is slightly more reliving news, but man I just want to here their Freeza!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:
Ahh that is slightly more reliving news, but man I just want to here their Freeza!

I wonder if anyone's captured the re runs in higher quality?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 am

Kaiji tweeted this past Saturday saying they've recorded more, and gave Lex some big praise.
Hopefully, they should start up again soon on Toonami Asia.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

So, Toonami Asia is also airing FUNi's dub of Kai...this only adds to the confusion surrounding this dub's existence
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:39 am

gokaiblue wrote:From what I've seen/heard of the dub, it's alright. There are definitely some standout performances, but I'm not sure it really stands up to the FUNimation dub of Super. At most, as a whole, I think they are at lesst somewhat equal perhaps.

What I find interesting is the fact that they kept sone dubisms and changed some back to theor original Japanese counterparts. Normally, this would be a welcome change all around, and it still is, but in this context, it's confusing. Toonami Asia has aired Dragon Ball, and Z (and Kai if I recall correctly) with the FUNimation dub, so I'm not sure why Toonami Asia thought it a good idea for them to be changed back to the original names, as I'm sure it might have caused some confusion among fans of the show who were exposed to it via the network.

Regardless, as a fan of the FUNimation dub currently airing on Toonami, this is, to me, a nice little side dub with a stellar cast.
I feel like the hold-overs are for "iconic status", the way that Injustice 2 uses Kevin Conroy & George Newbern for Bats & Supes despite everyone else being Kris ZImmerman regulars. Those voices are just that famous that they keep them despite (in this case) striving for general accuracy in both casting & terminology.

Notably, everyone here is done as a more proper dub casting, based on the Japanese performances. I think the only other DB English dubs that have had that are Final Bout & Harmony Gold (as much crap as it gets, at least it maintained the story & voices unlike FUNi's dub), to my knowledge. The problem is these dubs arent necessarily good in their quality just because they're side/failed test dubs, not much attention is given to them to grow & improve. The only one that happened to land was FUNi's dub, which still has loads of miscastings & hold-over issues. Even if the performances are good, it's just milking a really bad bastardized cash cow of a dub, & incorporating it into the new shows & accurate translations.

I honestly wish (for the majority at least) these were the mainstream/standard dub voices, just given more attention, budget, & scheduling. Rather than an awkward side dub that even the people involved wish they didnt have to do. There's an interview with Ray Chase & Matthew Mercer (not in this, for the record) where they discuss the dub. It really feels like everyone wants to avoid it. Which is kind of a shame in the same way the Harmony Gold dub is scoffed at & rarely discussed despite objectively having better casting than most of FUNi's dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:From what I've seen/heard of the dub, it's alright. There are definitely some standout performances, but I'm not sure it really stands up to the FUNimation dub of Super. At most, as a whole, I think they are at lesst somewhat equal perhaps.

I feel like the hold-overs are for "iconic status", the way that Injustice 2 uses Kevin Conroy & George Newbern for Bats & Supes despite everyone else being Kris ZImmerman regulars. Those voices are just that famous that they keep them despite (in this case) striving for general accuracy in both casting & terminology.

Notably, everyone here is done as a more proper dub casting, based on the Japanese performances. I think the only other DB English dubs that have had that are Final Bout & Harmony Gold (as much crap as it gets, at least it maintained the story & voices unlike FUNi's dub), to my knowledge. The problem is these dubs arent necessarily good in their quality just because they're side/failed test dubs, not much attention is given to them to grow & improve. The only one that happened to land was FUNi's dub, which still has loads of miscastings & hold-over issues. Even if the performances are good, it's just milking a really bad bastardized cash cow of a dub, & incorporating it into the new shows & accurate translations.

I honestly wish (for the majority at least) these were the mainstream/standard dub voices, just given more attention, budget, & scheduling. Rather than an awkward side dub that even the people involved wish they didnt have to do. There's an interview with Ray Chase & Matthew Mercer (not in this, for the record) where they discuss the dub. It really feels like everyone wants to avoid it. Which is kind of a shame in the same way the Harmony Gold dub is scoffed at & rarely discussed despite objectively having better casting than most of FUNi's dub.
At this point, I see no reason to complain about the Funimation cast. Like I said before, if someone just wants the dub voices to be 100% accurate to the Japanese, then they should watch the Japanese version. People shouldn't expect every dub voice to sound like the Japanese voices.

Personally, I'll take Funimation's dub cast over the casts of Final Bout and Harmony Gold in a heartbeat. I don't see any reason for them to be replaced just because they're not real actors like you say. I wouldn't have wanted to see an LA DBZ dub with the Final Bout cast. Most of the voices in that game are forgettable.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Link to this interview? I'm curious
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:At this point, I see no reason to complain about the Funimation cast. Like I said before, if someone just wants the dub voices to be 100% accurate to the Japanese, then they should watch the Japanese version. People shouldn't expect every dub voice to sound like the Japanese voices.

Personally, I'll take Funimation's dub cast over the casts of Final Bout and Harmony Gold in a heartbeat. I don't see any reason for them to be replaced just because they're not real actors like you say. I wouldn't have wanted to see an LA DBZ dub with the Final Bout cast. Most of the voices in that game are forgettable.
I'm not saying "oh, some slight difference in timbre is a total game-changer" lol. I'm just saying that supervision & contact with the actual people that made the thing is really ideal, & frankly should be standard MO. Japanese DCAU sound the same as in English. The voices the director chose aren't "exclusive", but I think the decisions as to type & portrayal are important, & they are done for a reason. I don't mind different takes on a character, but I think, if you're telling the same story under virtually the same script, it is pretty much implicit that you find an actor who brings out the same qualities as the previous actor. Plenty of dubs do this - I would in fact say that it's done that way more often than not.

On topic: some of the major voices were good. HG Goku & Bulma are wonderful, Roshi's legit aged, instead of fake "old man" voice. I admit McConnohie & Mallow are bad fits...but overall HG did strive for accuracy - & that is impressive for a Harmony Gold dub, & they maintain the story & music FAR better than FUNi's old takes. FB: Kevin Seymour was an amazing director & spoke Japanese which smoothed the process of adaptation & casting really well, & while of the castings (namely, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, & Trunks) attempt for accuracy, the rush job & lack of info make their performances fall flat (plus it's a fighting game, not a ton of dialog).

If DB had been dubbed under regular schedule/budget for anime, I think it'd've been much better & more accurate casting-wise too. I'd prefer Joshua Seth or one of the Fahns for Goku, Kirk Thornton as Vegeta, Steve Blum as Goku, maybe Doug Erholtz as Freeza...also it'd be amiss not to have Jamieson Price as Cell & Paul st Peter as Shenlong.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Link to this interview? I'm curious
https://youtu.be/elx1ix3l_-c?t=703

Ben Diskin & I think Lex also mentioned similar tensions. & the way Patrick Seitz & Matthew Mercer (in the video) discussed it was pretty dismissive as if he wanted it as far as possible away.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 am

I feel the worst part about this is how Funimation have handled it. The Bang Zoom actors aren't going to deny work and Bang Zoom aren't going to deny a paycheck from Toonami Asia. Funimation's actors need to stop being so cruel to the Bang Zoom version, most Funimation actors are in house so they don't usually have to worry too much about getting work. But Bang Zoom's actors are some of the first anime roles for these actors in a while. I just can't help but feel it's Funimation inflaming tensions. If Mathew IS voicing Funi Zamasu it'll make the whole thing even more awkward cause he records all his stuff AT Studiopolis, where Bang Zoom's talent is all based.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:At this point, I see no reason to complain about the Funimation cast. Like I said before, if someone just wants the dub voices to be 100% accurate to the Japanese, then they should watch the Japanese version. People shouldn't expect every dub voice to sound like the Japanese voices.

I'm not saying "oh, some slight difference in timbre is a total game-changer" lol. I'm just saying that supervision & contact with the actual people that made the thing is really ideal, & frankly should be standard MO. Japanese DCAU sound the same as in English. The voices the director chose aren't "exclusive", but I think the decisions as to type & portrayal are important, & they are done for a reason. I don't mind different takes on a character, but I think, if you're telling the same story under virtually the same script, it is pretty much implicit that you find an actor who brings out the same qualities as the previous actor. Plenty of dubs do this - I would in fact say that it's done that way more often than not.

On topic: some of the major voices were good. HG Goku & Bulma are wonderful, Roshi's legit aged, instead of fake "old man" voice. I admit McConnohie & Mallow are bad fits...but overall HG did strive for accuracy - & that is impressive for a Harmony Gold dub, & they maintain the story & music FAR better than FUNi's old takes. FB: Kevin Seymour was an amazing director & spoke Japanese which smoothed the process of adaptation & casting really well, & while of the castings (namely, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, & Trunks) attempt for accuracy, the rush job & lack of info make their performances fall flat (plus it's a fighting game, not a ton of dialog).

If DB had been dubbed under regular schedule/budget for anime, I think it'd've been much better & more accurate casting-wise too. I'd prefer Joshua Seth or one of the Fahns for Goku, Kirk Thornton as Vegeta, Steve Blum as Goku, maybe Doug Erholtz as Freeza...also it'd be amiss not to have Jamieson Price as Cell & Paul st Peter as Shenlong.

Ben Diskin & I think Lex also mentioned similar tensions. & the way Patrick Seitz & Matthew Mercer (in the video) discussed it was pretty dismissive as if he wanted it as far as possible away.
I honestly wouldn't choose Steve Blum for Goku, my friend. I love the Blum, I think he's a great actor, but Goku has to be one of the biggest miscasts of his career.

And I think you forget that Milton James lacks the youthfulness that Horikawa had in his performance as Vegeta in Z. Him having the regal tone doesn't suddenly make him better than Sabat and Drummond. Are
you really going to prefer him over Sabat and Drummond even if he sounds old?

While I'll admit that Stellrecht is kind of decent as Trunks, he wouldn't be my first choice for the guy, and neither would Woren for Piccolo and Seymour for Frieza. Woren just does a bad Clint Eastwood impression and Seymour, despite being a great voice director, he sounds kind of goofy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:And I think you forget that Milton James lacks the youthfulness that Horikawa had in his performance as Vegeta in Z. Him having the regal tone doesn't suddenly make him better than Sabat and Drummond. Are

While I'll admit that Stellrecht is kind of decent as Trunks, he wouldn't be my first choice for the guy, and neither would Woren for Piccolo and Seymour for Frieza. Woren just does a bad Clint Eastwood impression and Seymour, despite being a great voice director, he sounds kind of goofy.
My mistake, I meant to say Steve Blum as Piccolo, I had Seth & the Fahn bros as the Son family. Anyways yeah FB was a rush job, plus lack of materials (as with every DB game dub btw), plus lack of experience with DB makes this an odd dub. I think tonally Seymour is good, but no he's not really a VA. He was only in it cause he directed it. I mentioned Doug as Freeza mainly because Keith Silverstein wasnt around yet, lol. Someone like Derek Stephen Prince actually would be awesome as Freeza back then. Trunks maybe Steve Staley or Michael Reisz, out of 1996-era dub VAs.

I suppose Milton James does sound too old yeah, but Drummond's (& thus Sabat) takes were way too cartoony & snakelike, closer to Piccolo than Vegeta, who is a "human" character. I'm not "comparing" James to FUNi's, I found their understanding skewed altogether whereas James at least is "in the ballpark".
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I feel the worst part about this is how Funimation have handled it. The Bang Zoom actors aren't going to deny work and Bang Zoom aren't going to deny a paycheck from Toonami Asia. Funimation's actors need to stop being so cruel to the Bang Zoom version, most Funimation actors are in house so they don't usually have to worry too much about getting work. But Bang Zoom's actors are some of the first anime roles for these actors in a while. I just can't help but feel it's Funimation inflaming tensions. If Mathew IS voicing Funi Zamasu it'll make the whole thing even more awkward cause he records all his stuff AT Studiopolis, where Bang Zoom's talent is all based.
Well, if you watch the interview...people are civil about this, there's no hatred or disgust between at least the LA dub circles on this issue. If anything, I think it's Toonami Asia - FUNi are upset that they dont get paid for every airing internationally, & so they aren't exactly going to be chummy with the actors that are complicit in that, even though as you said, accepting contracts is part of the acting job. No one refuses contracts (rarely). Yeah, there's drama I guess, but I think the main issue that FUNi has is that Toonami Asia didnt wait for their dub. Business-wise, there doesnt need to be multiple dubs, even though the alternate is theoretically a fresh start. That's incidental, I guess. That said, I really wish we had gotten a dub with this sort of MO & hopefully talent, from the beginning, & focused on that rather than doing it haphazardly as some sort of necessary evil.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Very disappointing to hear him talk like this. As someone who actually likes his work on this dub, It's unfortunate to see that he's treating this opportunity with such a dumb attitude. I get the whole respect thing but does he even realize that Sabat wasn't the original English voice for the character? Does he even know the abysmal circumstances surrounding Funimation at the time which essentially forced them to cast Sabat in so many roles? My guess is he's probably ignorant to all of this.

The funny thing is that, in all likelihood, Ray Chase probably went through a more thorough casting process than Sabat ever did for either Z or Kai (the latter of which he probably just cast himself in automatically). Ray has just as much right to call the character his own and I see no reason for him to bow down to his predecessors. What's actually really sad is that the original English voice of Piccolo, Scott McNeil (who's been passed on time and time again), probably would've loved this opportunity to come back and yet, instead we get Ray Chase just treating it like another paycheck. That just ain't right.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:And I think you forget that Milton James lacks the youthfulness that Horikawa had in his performance as Vegeta in Z. Him having the regal tone doesn't suddenly make him better than Sabat and Drummond. Are

My mistake, I meant to say Steve Blum as Piccolo, I had Seth & the Fahn bros as the Son family. Anyways yeah FB was a rush job, plus lack of materials (as with every DB game dub btw), plus lack of experience with DB makes this an odd dub. I think tonally Seymour is good, but no he's not really a VA. He was only in it cause he directed it. I mentioned Doug as Freeza mainly because Keith Silverstein wasnt around yet, lol. Someone like Derek Stephen Prince actually would be awesome as Freeza back then. Trunks maybe Steve Staley or Michael Reisz, out of 1996-era dub VAs.

I suppose Milton James does sound too old yeah, but Drummond's (& thus Sabat) takes were way too cartoony & snakelike, closer to Piccolo than Vegeta, who is a "human" character. I'm not "comparing" James to FUNi's, I found their understanding skewed altogether whereas James at least is "in the ballpark".
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I feel the worst part about this is how Funimation have handled it. The Bang Zoom actors aren't going to deny work and Bang Zoom aren't going to deny a paycheck from Toonami Asia. Funimation's actors need to stop being so cruel to the Bang Zoom version, most Funimation actors are in house so they don't usually have to worry too much about getting work. But Bang Zoom's actors are some of the first anime roles for these actors in a while. I just can't help but feel it's Funimation inflaming tensions. If Mathew IS voicing Funi Zamasu it'll make the whole thing even more awkward cause he records all his stuff AT Studiopolis, where Bang Zoom's talent is all based.
Well, if you watch the interview...people are civil about this, there's no hatred or disgust between at least the LA dub circles on this issue. If anything, I think it's Toonami Asia - FUNi are upset that they dont get paid for every airing internationally, & so they aren't exactly going to be chummy with the actors that are complicit in that, even though as you said, accepting contracts is part of the acting job. No one refuses contracts (rarely). Yeah, there's drama I guess, but I think the main issue that FUNi has is that Toonami Asia didnt wait for their dub. Business-wise, there doesnt need to be multiple dubs, even though the alternate is theoretically a fresh start. That's incidental, I guess. That said, I really wish we had gotten a dub with this sort of MO & hopefully talent, from the beginning, & focused on that rather than doing it haphazardly as some sort of necessary evil.
Well, it's a cartoon. I don't see why cartoony voices are out of place.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 am

NitroEX wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

Very disappointing to hear him talk like this. As someone who actually likes his work on this dub, It's unfortunate to see that he's treating this opportunity with such a dumb attitude. I get the whole respect thing but does he even realize that Sabat wasn't the original English voice for the character? Does he even know the abysmal circumstances surrounding Funimation at the time which essentially forced them to cast Sabat in so many roles? My guess is he's probably ignorant to all of this.

The funny thing is that, in all likelihood, Ray Chase probably went through a more thorough casting process than Sabat ever did for either Z or Kai (the latter of which he probably just cast himself in automatically). Ray has just as much right to call the character his own and I see no reason for him to bow down to his predecessors. What's actually really sad is that the original English voice of Piccolo, Scott McNeil (who's been passed on time and time again), probably would've loved this opportunity to come back and yet, instead we get Ray Chase just treating it like another paycheck. That just ain't right.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts although I dont blame him for thinking this way. Also while I like Scott McNeil & his performance does evoke more of Piccolo's sinister nuance than Sabat's vague Hulk impression, I would still say that Ray probably has the most thorough casting process than the others, in a production that faithfully captures the actual story. He's not really established or has close to Scott's range, no, but he's easily good enough for Piccolo, his range is insane for someone with ~20 credits, lol.

This attitude, while unfortunate, is less about Dragon Ball and more about dumb licensing politics. Toei really should take care of this show's distribution better.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, it's a cartoon. I don't see why cartoony voices are out of place.
I meant that it was not really a humanoid-sounding voice, & inappropriate in that sense. We do have cartoony voices in DB (Agent Shu, Pilaf), but also many serious ones.