Are you expecting much from the new character designs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

Are you expecting much from the new character designs?

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

I know some will complain if they see designs who are not looking like a Broly type of design but i know Akira's style some will look
badass and some will look weak so i will sure not complain about it...

Yomi
Regular

Re: Are you expecting much from the new character designs?

Post by Yomi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 am

I don't take those people too seriously, since Fanart OC's most of the time look like p00p.
:clap:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 am

No expectations, let them surprise me..

Characters are eventually judged based on their personalities instead of designs, nobody calls omni King's design stupid anymore, many instead call him a psychopath..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:37 am

Ki Breaker wrote:No expectations, let them surprise me..

Characters are eventually judged based on their personalities instead of designs, nobody calls omni King's design stupid anymore, many instead call him a psychopath..
Same, and I actually love all the designs Toriyama has currently done for Super. I only dislike the fact Cabba is too skinny, he looks very good once you give him some muscle like Toyotaro did for the cover of manga's volume 2
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them were rehashed designs with slight alterations.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Characters are eventually judged based on their personalities instead of designs, nobody calls omni King's design stupid anymore, many instead call him a psychopath..
Oh he is a psychopath, but that doesn't mean I don't still dislike his design. I think he looks stupid.
emperior wrote: I only dislike the fact Cabba is too skinny, he looks very good once you give him some muscle like Toyotaro did for the cover of manga's volume 2
Agreed. Most of the time Cabba looks like he's ACTUALLY ANOREXIC. Like seriously. :|

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:18 pm

The character designs will not bother me that much but the characters will. All Toriyama needs to do is to habe no new Saiyans while having a Namekian for Piccolo to have as a rival , along with an Earthling and maybe a member of the 3 eyed clan for Tien.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Mmmmno, I don't expect too much in the design. I think everything will be very simple and streamlined.
Nothing really exotic, HIT's the highest degree of "strangeness" Super will allow, I think.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm

I don't expect too much in the design is going simple and that's it don't expect anything bizzare but I'm hoping we don't recycled designs through
Mostly active on discord.

Merged Zamasu
Banned

Post by Merged Zamasu » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Hopefully. we will see a few characters (1 or 2 characters) who look and behave similiar to Zamasu.

I really like characters like Zamasu, who are elegant and beautiful, yet hold great hatred and doubt. We certainly lack those kind of characters in Dragon Ball.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I think how much I care for new the characters personality rather than how they look is more of a concern for me personally.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:The character designs will not bother me that much but the characters will. All Toriyama needs to do is to habe no new Saiyans while having a Namekian for Piccolo to have as a rival , along with an Earthling and maybe a member of the 3 eyed clan for Tien.
I expect to see U6 Saiyan King to be honest. There would be no need to mention him if he's never appearing. I think the guy can bring a lot of Saiyan lore and also development for Vegeta's character. I think Vegeta needs to find another purpose in life other than try to surpass Goku. Hopefully we will see Sadal too.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm

emperior wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:The character designs will not bother me that much but the characters will. All Toriyama needs to do is to habe no new Saiyans while having a Namekian for Piccolo to have as a rival , along with an Earthling and maybe a member of the 3 eyed clan for Tien.
I expect to see U6 Saiyan King to be honest. There would be no need to mention him if he's never appearing. I think the guy can bring a lot of Saiyan lore and also development for Vegeta's character. I think Vegeta needs to find another purpose in life other than try to surpass Goku. Hopefully we will see Sadal too.
I don't expect the Saiyan King to fight but instead just watch the tournament.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Honestly my favourite U6 designs were Botamo and Magetta. Frost was one of the lamest additions character design wise in the whole series, Cabba is a little different from U7 saiyans(different eyes and skinny rather than bulky muscles) but otherwise felt like what Xenoverse custom character and to a lesser extent even Hit feels like we've seen his design a few times as you can see elements of Perfect Cell and Final form Frieza within him. He's a lot better than Cabba and Frost though.

Super has for the most part been pretty good with varied designs though; Beerus, Whis, Jaco, Monaka, Botamo, Magetta, Zen-Oh, his guards and the Galactic King all look completely different from one another and with the possible exception of Whis, look like nothing we'd seen before. More of this and less recoloured saiyans, earthlings and previous villain designs please.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm

emperior wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:No expectations, let them surprise me..

Same, and I actually love all the designs Toriyama has currently done for Super. I only dislike the fact Cabba is too skinny, he looks very good once you give him some muscle like Toyotaro did for the cover of manga's volume 2
Yeah, I was surprised how skinny he looked.

I wish Toriyama had kept the tails for U6 Saiyans. But... he finds it too difficult to draw. :P

Still, I'm glad that he made Cabba look more "Asian".

To me, at least.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
I wish Toriyama had kept the tails for U6 Saiyans. But... he finds it too difficult to draw.
I don't think that reasoning is all that valid anymore though now that he doesn't actually draw much apart from the character designs.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:
I wish Toriyama had kept the tails for U6 Saiyans. But... he finds it too difficult to draw.
I don't think that reasoning is all that valid anymore though now that he doesn't actually draw much apart from the character designs.
That's true, he probably wanted to difference them even more from U7 Saiyans
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm

I imagine that the characters will be designs Toriyama is pleased with, at least enough to allow to be released publicly. I certainly don't see him being any less displeased with them than he is with his other designs.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:30 am

Not really. I mean look at what we got in the Champa tournament. Frost looks like he's wearing pants and that robot guy was ridiculous.

That octopus looking thing is the galaxy patrol king or some shit. Idk. Shits crazy.

Off topic: Ask me anything about DB, DBZ, or their movies and I can tell you right off the top of the head. With Super I don't even care. And Goku's a complete dumbass slash tard.
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Nano wrote:Not really. I mean look at what we got in the Champa tournament. Frost looks like he's wearing pants
What's wrong with Frost having pants? :P
and that robot guy was ridiculous.
Uhh, how so?
That octopus looking thing is the galaxy patrol king or some shit. Idk. Shits crazy.
Yeah I don't like him much, but technically he's not a Super design. He was designed a while back in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.