Latin American Super Dub Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: LATIN AMERICAN DUB CONFIRMED (Brenda Nava Confirmed as translator!)

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:Yeah, we got everybody back then, now we have to wait until June/July to get news about in which TV channel it is airing, the best we can ask right now is Fox, but who knows?
What about Mario Sauret? Did Lalo said he wanted him back for Boo and Ox Satan, or will he keep Marcos Patiño and Enrique Cervantes for the roles?

I hope Mexico's Canal 5 airs it. That's the only way I can watch it legally.
He got Sauret for both roles.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Alee9977 wrote:He got Sauret for both roles.
He did! That's great! :P

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 am

http://www.anmtvla.com/2017/03/dragon-b ... re-el.html

New and awesome details for Dragon Ball Super's Latin American Spanish dub!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:28 am

I'm just glad there won't be any modism and Black's name will stay as it is.

But when premiere in Argentina? ¿CUÁNDO TOEI, EH? Please don't send it to Cartoon Censoretwork. :evil:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 am

danielsan_190196 wrote:I'm just glad there won't be any modism and Black's name will stay as it is.
I'm glad that Goku Black will be kept as is and we won't have to hear Goku "Negro". I guess Goku "oscuro" would have been acceptable. I just hope Lalo respects Brenda's translations and doesn't change anything. I like to be optimistic and think that he will do a good job directing the LatAm dub of Super.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 am

I think Toei will deal mostly with local networks instead of Cartoon Network...but I dont know of any network in Argentina willing to air Super. Telefe perhaps?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think Toei will deal mostly with local networks instead of Cartoon Network...but I dont know of any network in Argentina willing to air Super. Telefe perhaps?
Trece o Telefe are the most likely to bring Super, since Telefe aired Dragon Ball Z a few years ago, maybe Trece wants it now. I wouldn't mind if Fox airs Super, I'd love that.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think Toei will deal mostly with local networks instead of Cartoon Network...but I dont know of any network in Argentina willing to air Super. Telefe perhaps?
Cartoon Network will probably air The Final Chapters after the current reprise of Kai 1.0, so, they will probably air Super too.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Telefe just wants turkish or brazilian soap operas and children shows from Viacom, so it's unlikely for Super to air there.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Cartoon Network is likely to pick DBSuper on Argentina.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cabba
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Cabba » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Grimlock wrote:I think that leaves Brazil as the only country that isn't confirmed to get Dragon Ball Super yet right? Don't remember if Argentina already has it.
Argentina never had its own dub, they used the latin dub
Unless you meant something else
BTW Latin dub is godly, the best DBZ DUB imo almost as good as the Jap. Its the one that sticks closest to the original script and Mario Castañeda perfectly captures Gokus essence. He does not make him sound like some generic American super hero either
danielsan_190196 wrote:I'm just glad there won't be any modism and Black's name will stay as it is.
But when premiere in Argentina? ¿CUÁNDO TOEI, EH? Please don't send it to Cartoon Censoretwork. :evil:
I personally hope they send it to some streaming service as well ala Crunchy roll/funimation but with latin dub. Its been a while since i saw DBZ on cartoon network, but growing up they never censored DBZ or DB

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:Yeah, we got everybody back then, now we have to wait until June/July to get news about in which TV channel it is airing, the best we can ask right now is Fox, but who knows?
What about Mario Sauret? Did Lalo said he wanted him back for Boo and Ox Satan, or will he keep Marcos Patiño and Enrique Cervantes for the roles?

I checked ANMTVLA and it seems Sauret won't be involved in Super's dub. in fact, he was replaced as Buu by Marcos Patiño, the same guy who voiced him in The Final Chapters.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Tian wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:

I checked ANMTVLA and it seems Sauret won't be involved in Super's dub. in fact, he was replaced as Buu by Marcos Patiño, the same guy who voiced him in The Final Chapters.

I really wanted Sauret to voice Boo again.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Sauret sounded very similar to the japanese voice, shame that he wont return for Super.

I liked him better than the English voice.

The DBZ dub overall was great, and it only had small blunders(nowhere near as bad as the blunders Saint Seiya got), helped that most of the DBZ cast worked also in saint seiya and it helped them getting better.

The worst voices in the dub were Cell, he sounded like a generic villain, Wakamoto and Cleark sounded better(although the latter had to deal with a shitty script) and Recoome(who sounded as retarded as the Funi version), I couldnt believe they didnt make him badass like the japanese version.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
Tian wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:

I really wanted Sauret to voice Boo again.
Lalo confirmed him as buu weeks ago, It seems the negotiations didn't finish in that moment and now Patiño is the one confirmed as Buu. It's a shame, It is the second lost.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:29 pm

perucho1990 wrote:The worst voices in the dub were Cell, he sounded like a generic villain, Wakamoto and Cleark sounded better(although the latter had to deal with a shitty script) and Recoome(who sounded as retarded as the Funi version), I couldnt believe they didnt make him badass like the japanese version.
Ricardo Brust sounded really good as cell. Except maybe when he's screams where very, very deep. It(his deep screams) didn't sound good with the voice filter. Like Dameon Cleark, Ricardo Brust gave Cell a unique voice that wasn't just a cheap imitation of the original Japanese. In my opinion the worst voice actor of the LatAm dub was Jose Luis Castañeda. He was a good/decent actor but I have to admit that his voice sounded very monotone. I wouldn't say he was bad voice actor but he certainly wasn't a great one.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Bajosexto wrote: Ricardo Brust sounded really good as cell. Except maybe when he's screams where very, very deep. It(his deep screams) didn't sound good with the voice filter. Like Dameon Cleark, Ricardo Brust gave Cell a unique voice that wasn't just a cheap imitation of the original Japanese. In my opinion the worst voice actor of the LatAm dub was Jose Luis Castañeda. He was a good/decent actor but I have to admit that his voice sounded very monotone. I wouldn't say he was bad voice actor but he certainly wasn't a great one.

He often used the same voice but it was bearable. BTW what was the reason they gave Gero the name MAKI?

Also, who was the one that came out with the Nappa doesnt have a mom joke in the Saiyan saga? I mean that was probably the corniest joke ever, shit I cringed so much back when I watched it for the first time and I was rewatching that scene just now, it was as horrible as the Pilaf Gang comedy relief in the Black Arc.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: Ricardo Brust sounded really good as cell. Except maybe when he's screams where very, very deep. It(his deep screams) didn't sound good with the voice filter. Like Dameon Cleark, Ricardo Brust gave Cell a unique voice that wasn't just a cheap imitation of the original Japanese. In my opinion the worst voice actor of the LatAm dub was Jose Luis Castañeda. He was a good/decent actor but I have to admit that his voice sounded very monotone. I wouldn't say he was bad voice actor but he certainly wasn't a great one.

He often used the same voice but it was bearable. BTW what was the reason they gave Gero the name MAKI?

Also, who was the one that came out with the Nappa doesnt have a mom joke in the Saiyan saga? I mean that was probably the corniest joke ever, shit I cringed so much back when I watched it for the first time and I was rewatching that scene just now, it was as horrible as the Pilaf Gang comedy relief in the Black Arc.
I heard a podcast with Brenda Nava( I recommend to watch it your a fan of her, just search for Brenda Nava traductora on YouTube) we're she talks about the reason why the dub had several "errors". She said that Gloria Rocha would often change names with out telling her. So Brenda would write Dr.Gero in the scripts with the correct pronunciation, but Gloria would write Dr. Maki before Gero for example: Dr. Maki Gero without talking out the Gero part. So the voice actors would read it together as Dr. Maki Gero(Hehro) instead of the intended Dr. Maki. Hopefully your following me. I'm not very good at explaining. That's why he's called Dr. Maki Gero. She also said that the Voice actors would incorrectly pronounce the G as J as in Jose or H as in house. That why you hear Kaio say Geki Dama at first but later every one stars saying Henki Dama/Jenki Dama(spelled in Spanish)

Not sure why Gohan said "tu no tienes mama" to Nappa. I would image that in the Japanese version(haven't watched Dbz subbed yet only Dragon Ball) Gohan says a joke/insult that couldn't be translated, or was lost in translation, maybe the closets joke/insult was something similar to "tu no tines mama". I actually found it very funny. Maybe because I'm Mexican American and I understand the joke/insult.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm

IIRC in the original one, Gohan tells Nappa that he stinks(thats also how Kai dubbed it too). But it was dumb filler, thats the level of padding some fans has disliked in Super, and in Z, which was a serious show, that type of joke were so...out of place. Like in Saint Seiya when Shiryu(out of all Bronze Saints) tells a joke about something was as dead as Ikki(It was in the Sanctuary Arc but dont exactly remember in what episode) when 1. Ikki was right next to him, and 2. It was OOC or that Kiki claims he was a dwarf(this was a big wtf moment).

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 am

perucho1990 wrote:IIRC in the original one, Gohan tells Nappa that he stinks(thats also how Kai dubbed it too). But it was dumb filler, thats the level of padding some fans has disliked in Super, and in Z, which was a serious show, that type of joke were so...out of place. Like in Saint Seiya when Shiryu(out of all Bronze Saints) tells a joke about something was as dead as Ikki(It was in the Sanctuary Arc but dont exactly remember in what episode) when 1. Ikki was right next to him, and 2. It was OOC or that Kiki claims he was a dwarf(this was a big wtf moment).
Maybe the "tu no tienes mama" joke was added by Gloria Rocha. Brenda says that she tried be as faithful as possible with the translation.