I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: I find Goku to be the worst character in this show

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:36 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Artorias wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Well for one, most of the hate here is directed specificly for Dragon Ball Super's version of Goku. Goku fine in DB, DBZ, and even in DBGT. Also, Goku wasn't actually around that much in DBZ. It was mostly following Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta. Goku was often just the guy that would swoop in to fight the big bad at the end. It also doesn't help that Super often shoves Goku in our faces without giving the other characters any time in the spotlight. When one character is so solely the focus, we get sick of him.
Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?
I think due to this arc is about making Goku learn about the dangers of making friends with deitys. Also, I think Goku feels guilty a bit for eliminating people which causes universes to be destroyed.
I don't think he feels guilty. I do think he clearly doesn't like these people being erased, evident by the fact that he was the only one glaring down Daishinkan after U9 were erased.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 am

Jigurashi wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Artorias wrote: Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?
I think due to this arc is about making Goku learn about the dangers of making friends with deitys. Also, I think Goku feels guilty a bit for eliminating people which causes universes to be destroyed.
I don't think he feels guilty. I do think he clearly doesn't like these people being erased, evident by the fact that he was the only one glaring down Daishinkan after U9 were erased.
I am sure that Goku feels no guilt. He may get angry at universes being erased, but he knows it's either them or him, and he prefers them.

I also don't think Super 'ruined' Goku since a lot of his goofy moments happens now and then. Most of the 'ruined' I've read is about Goku being more of an asshole and carefree compared to Z, complaints I have seen in the Battle of Gods movie because Goku ruined King Kai's planet and watched his friends get beat up.

I also think some are extra sensitive to Goku's goofy moments to the point that it overshadowed everything. The best example that I remembered is Episode 76. Goku was serious and wise throughout the episode dealing with Krillin and his insecurities. He even figured out the secret of the forest quickly. However, the only thing people took from that episode was Goku saying he didn't understand Krillin's profound speech when he talked about being a martial artist again. And that is literally anyone talked about. Literally all of Goku's smart and insightful moments was overshadowed by that one line.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 am

Artorias wrote:How on Earth are you a Dragon Ball fan if you don't like Goku? That is a legitimate question. Why are you even here on this forum? How are you a fan of this show?

I see this all the time in other fandoms as well, that is, people disliking the main character of a certain show that they consider themselves to be big fans of. And I just...fundamentally do not understand how that can even be a thing. That statement doesn't even make sense to me. The FIRST criteria I have for whether or not I'll continue a show is "Do I like the main character?". If no, then I move on and quite watching.

How can you enjoy a show where you hate the character that is the PRIMARY FOCUS of the story, a character that typically gets like 75% of the screen time? Please, for the love of god, can someone explain this to me?
It's easy to explain. Some of us never liked Goku but these shows have what those fancy people in hollywood call a colorful cast. These days its like shonen 101 to make a diverse cast of characters with all sorts of personalities and abilities. Toriyama did this naturally during DB's run and so it was easy to turn on the show and find someone other than Goku to get attached to. Over the years I've come to call myself a fan of Goku and greatly respect his character and what he brings to the show which probably started when I started watching more of the original Dragon Ball series, but for a long time, I tuned out when he was on screen and was only ever invested when Piccolo, Tien, Yamcha, Vegeta, Gohan, or Krillin were in action. To be fair, DBZ used Goku sparingly, opting to reserve him for the big fights so to the naked eye, he wasn't really THE protagonist but A protagonist. Z always felt like more of an ensemble with Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, and briefly Trunks sharing a significant portion of screen time. DB and DBS definitely have more emphasis on Goku which is a whiplash for those of us used to how Z did things.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 am

HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I think due to this arc is about making Goku learn about the dangers of making friends with deitys. Also, I think Goku feels guilty a bit for eliminating people which causes universes to be destroyed.
I am sure that Goku feels no guilt. He may get angry at universes being erased, but he knows it's either them or him, and he prefers them.

I also don't think Super 'ruined' Goku since a lot of his goofy moments happens now and then. Most of the 'ruined' I've read is about Goku being more of an asshole and carefree compared to Z, complaints I have seen in the Battle of Gods movie because Goku ruined King Kai's planet and watched his friends get beat up.

I also think some are extra sensitive to Goku's goofy moments to the point that it overshadowed everything. The best example that I remembered is Episode 76. Goku was serious and wise throughout the episode dealing with Krillin and his insecurities. He even figured out the secret of the forest quickly. However, the only thing people took from that episode was Goku saying he didn't understand Krillin's profound speech when he talked about being a martial artist again. And that is literally anyone talked about. Literally all of Goku's smart and insightful moments was overshadowed by that one line.
It is just people like to focus on the bad moments, and dismiss others saying it was by chance or he didn't mean it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am

Jigurashi wrote:
So you dislike him because he took attacks from a suppressed Hit? Like is it that hard to just know that Hit obviously suppressed himself? Goku tagged a suppressed Hit while Hit using far more power trashed SSB Vegeta. He would have done the same shit to SSB Goku had Goku fought first. Like there are better examples of Goku being "overpower" like the Zamasu instance which was pretty bad. Overexposure makes no sense here though.
Either possibility is just as bad as the other. Either base Goku can take attacks that level SSB Vegeta, or Hit, for no reason, suppressed himself to the point where base Goku wouldn't be eliminated or KO'ed in one shot because of Goku's plot armour.

And why the hell are you listing "better examples" to me? What part of "downward trend" aren't you understanding?

Before the Goku vs Hit fight, Goku and Vegeta's rivalry in Super actually counted as a rivalry. After that point Toei threw it away.
After the U6 tournament, almost all the filler centered on Goku, Vegeta was sidelined in his own son's arc in favour of Goku and Trunks,

Vegeta was benched from fighting since episode 64 for 32 episodes, Goku had Hit try to kill him, had two fights back to back in the preliminaries, did all the recruiting while others characters stood around and did nothing, used SSB to the point of cheapening it, jumped into Hits fight, fought the Trio de dangers and the rest of that universe, which is the first time Vegeta got back into fighting.

Goku then fought various fodder characters that stood no chance against him, got the 2nd highest amount of eliminations, got an entire special to himself where everybody worshipped him and he got a new form, got the next four episodes to himself by fighting the u6 saiyans, with Vegeta only cut to to briefly comment on Goku's fight, and both times was distracted by Goku.

Goku then breaks the rules of the setting by powering up by fighting, in order to hold onto the spotlight, with the peanut gallery commenting only on Goku. Vegeta vs Toppo gets no conclusion at all and no commentary despite being the more powerful fight initially, yet we only saw them land 2 moves on each other a piece.

Goku is going to be attacked yet again by 3 more fighters and we're going back to that yet again, utterly repetitive as thry again track his return to UI, all while Vegeta's still off screen with no development toward UI or any new ability. He's no closer to doing it now than he was before 117. There's no time for said development with all the focus on Goku.

On top of that, we know Goku will master completed UI due to having the red aura on top of the blue in spoiler images, so Vegeta's delusional declarations are once again pointless.

Frankly I don't care if you think it makes sense, it's an opinion. F*** Goku, I hate him, he's trash. The End.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:34 am

TBMx wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
So you dislike him because he took attacks from a suppressed Hit? Like is it that hard to just know that Hit obviously suppressed himself? Goku tagged a suppressed Hit while Hit using far more power trashed SSB Vegeta. He would have done the same shit to SSB Goku had Goku fought first. Like there are better examples of Goku being "overpower" like the Zamasu instance which was pretty bad. Overexposure makes no sense here though.
Either possibility is just as bad as the other. Either base Goku can take attacks that level SSB Vegeta, or Hit, for no reason, suppressed himself to the point where base Goku wouldn't be eliminated or KO'ed in one shot because of Goku's plot armour.

And why the hell are you listing "better examples" to me? What part of "downward trend" aren't you understanding?

Before the Goku vs Hit fight, Goku and Vegeta's rivalry in Super actually counted as a rivalry. After that point Toei threw it away.
After the U6 tournament, almost all the filler centered on Goku, Vegeta was sidelined in his own son's arc in favour of Goku and Trunks,

Vegeta was benched from fighting since episode 64 for 32 episodes, Goku had Hit try to kill him, had two fights back to back in the preliminaries, did all the recruiting while others characters stood around and did nothing, used SSB to the point of cheapening it, jumped into Hits fight, fought the Trio de dangers and the rest of that universe, which is the first time Vegeta got back into fighting.

Goku then fought various fodder characters that stood no chance against him, got the 2nd highest amount of eliminations, got an entire special to himself where everybody worshipped him and he got a new form, got the next four episodes to himself by fighting the u6 saiyans, with Vegeta only cut to to briefly comment on Goku's fight, and both times was distracted by Goku.

Goku then breaks the rules of the setting by powering up by fighting, in order to hold onto the spotlight, with the peanut gallery commenting only on Goku. Vegeta vs Toppo gets no conclusion at all and no commentary despite being the more powerful fight initially, yet we only saw them land 2 moves on each other a piece.

Goku is going to be attacked yet again by 3 more fighters and we're going back to that yet again, utterly repetitive as thry again track his return to UI, all while Vegeta's still off screen with no development toward UI or any new ability. He's no closer to doing it now than he was before 117. There's no time for said development with all the focus on Goku.

On top of that, we know Goku will master completed UI due to having the red aura on top of the blue in spoiler images, so Vegeta's delusional declarations are once again pointless.

Frankly I don't care if you think it makes sense, it's an opinion. F*** Goku, I hate him, he's trash. The End.
I mean you obviously care. So it all really just boils down to Vegeta looking like shit to Goku?

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Do you think everyone is underused except for Goku?
Except for him, Vegeta, and the universe 6 saiyan girls, pretty much. Oh, and Roshi was used pretty well. The androids vs kamikaze fireballs thing was also handled alright. Fingers crossed for next weeks episode also.
Hit has gotten the most character development in this series, who are not Saiyans, when it comes to new characters.
Oh, I LOVE Hit. The Universe 6 tournament arc set up his character pretty well. His treatment in the Universe Survival arc though? GARBAGE. He got one minor elimination, had one of his spotlight episodes stolen by Goku showing up halfway through and ruining what would have otherwise been a fun and tense fight, then he jobbed to Jiren in his other spotlight episode. What an AWFUL way to use Dragon Ball Super's best new character.
Artorias wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Artorias wrote:How on Earth are you a Dragon Ball fan if you don't like Goku? That is a legitimate question. Why are you even here on this forum? How are you a fan of this show?

I see this all the time in other fandoms as well, that is, people disliking the main character of a certain show that they consider themselves to be big fans of. And I just...fundamentally do not understand how that can even be a thing. That statement doesn't even make sense to me. The FIRST criteria I have for whether or not I'll continue a show is "Do I like the main character?". If no, then I move on and quite watching.

How can you enjoy a show where you hate the character that is the PRIMARY FOCUS of the story, a character that typically gets like 75% of the screen time? Please, for the love of god, can someone explain this to me?
Well for one, most of the hate here is directed specificly for Dragon Ball Super's version of Goku. Goku fine in DB, DBZ, and even in DBGT. Also, Goku wasn't actually around that much in DBZ. It was mostly following Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta. Goku was often just the guy that would swoop in to fight the big bad at the end. It also doesn't help that Super often shoves Goku in our faces without giving the other characters any time in the spotlight. When one character is so solely the focus, we get sick of him.
Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?
I disagree. While he's started to get slightly serious later on in the tournament, he was at his ABSOLUTE WORST at the start of this arc. He didn't give a single shit about the stakes. He cared more about "already getting an earful from Beerus" than the possible erasure of his own universe and the definite mass extinction of several other universes. Then the tournament starts and he's having the time of his life. It's nothing but a game to him. The somewhat serious Goku doesn't start until Ultra Instinct happens.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Goku is officially the worst character in this show

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:27 pm

julianix wrote:Goku at one time was all about helping others and defeating evil. You know when evil was everywhere and easy to find.

Goku is a good person and he does genuinely care about others. The problem began when he started getting obsessed with fighting. He crossed the line somewhere on his journey and he literally doesn't see it.

Remember when Goku sacrifices himself against Raditz? That guy was a hero.

Current Goku is like a drug addict that just doesn't see the drugs are affecting his life. In his eyes drugs ( training)
Is not a problem. He's doesn't seem to realize the guy hasn't even spent time with his kids and wife. I mean you think chichi would be the biggest bitch if she wasn't having problems at home?
I know this is an old post but the power has gotten to Gokuh’s head. Ever since defeating Boo, Gokuh has gotten cockier and cockier. Gokuh believed he was the strongest and he could not be defeated. This is first seen four years after Boo’s defeat with his first battle against Beerus. It’s more apparent in the movie, since Toriyama wrote it but I don’t remember if it was in the anime or manga, but Gokuh displayed all of his forms to Beerus and once he transformed into 3, he was cocky enough to ask Beerus to he needed to go back to 2. With Golden Freeza, Gokuh believed he had the win but he was easily beaten by Sorbet’s laser.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:44 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I think due to this arc is about making Goku learn about the dangers of making friends with deitys. Also, I think Goku feels guilty a bit for eliminating people which causes universes to be destroyed.

Kaioh got his planet back, did he? What was the problem?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Meshack wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: I don't think he feels guilty. I do think he clearly doesn't like these people being erased, evident by the fact that he was the only one glaring down Daishinkan after U9 were erased.

It was mostly about Goku punching out an entire section of the planet with no care for anyone’s safety.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:34 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Except for him, Vegeta, and the universe 6 saiyan girls, pretty much. Oh, and Roshi was used pretty well. The androids vs kamikaze fireballs thing was also handled alright. Fingers crossed for next weeks episode also.
Hit has gotten the most character development in this series, who are not Saiyans, when it comes to new characters.
Oh, I LOVE Hit. The Universe 6 tournament arc set up his character pretty well. His treatment in the Universe Survival arc though? GARBAGE. He got one minor elimination, had one of his spotlight episodes stolen by Goku showing up halfway through and ruining what would have otherwise been a fun and tense fight, then he jobbed to Jiren in his other spotlight episode. What an AWFUL way to use Dragon Ball Super's best new character.
Hit has development in this arc. He went from a solitary person who works alone to a team leader that is willing to work with others in order to win. That shouldn't be thrown away and acted as if it didn't happen.
Artorias wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Well for one, most of the hate here is directed specificly for Dragon Ball Super's version of Goku. Goku fine in DB, DBZ, and even in DBGT. Also, Goku wasn't actually around that much in DBZ. It was mostly following Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta. Goku was often just the guy that would swoop in to fight the big bad at the end. It also doesn't help that Super often shoves Goku in our faces without giving the other characters any time in the spotlight. When one character is so solely the focus, we get sick of him.
I disagree. While he's started to get slightly serious later on in the tournament, he was at his ABSOLUTE WORST at the start of this arc. He didn't give a single shit about the stakes. He cared more about "already getting an earful from Beerus" than the possible erasure of his own universe and the definite mass extinction of several other universes. Then the tournament starts and he's having the time of his life. It's nothing but a game to him. The somewhat serious Goku doesn't start until Ultra Instinct happens.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:47 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Hit has gotten the most character development in this series, who are not Saiyans, when it comes to new characters.
Hit has development in this arc. He went from a solitary person who works alone to a team leader that is willing to work with others in order to win. That shouldn't be thrown away and acted as if it didn't happen.
Artorias wrote: Well, I actually agree that Super has kinda ruined Goku a bit. But that doesn't seem to be what this original post was talking about. It seemed that he was talking in general, as if he always hated Goku and yet still stuck with the show for some reason. I can get behind the complaints about his overly childish nature. However, it seems like the TOP is trying to fix this. I can't remember the last time Goku was played up for a joke. He's been on point and getting business done ever since the start. Maybe this is the beginning of a trend?
Almost no one gives a shit about the other universes or the stakes. So, not sure why only Goku gets crap for this.

Piccolo was just as excited as Goku when he heard the stakes, Vegeta wanted to go with only nine people since he was enough and was baffled by Goku’s lack of confident, 17 didn’t care since everyone will be erased together, and 18 wants money.
Kanassa wrote:

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
Meshack wrote:
HeroR wrote:

It was mostly about Goku punching out an entire section of the planet with no care for anyone’s safety.
Probably because that punch was for Beerus, not Kaioh’s planet

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Oh, I LOVE Hit. The Universe 6 tournament arc set up his character pretty well. His treatment in the Universe Survival arc though? GARBAGE. He got one minor elimination, had one of his spotlight episodes stolen by Goku showing up halfway through and ruining what would have otherwise been a fun and tense fight, then he jobbed to Jiren in his other spotlight episode. What an AWFUL way to use Dragon Ball Super's best new character.
Almost no one gives a shit about the other universes or the stakes. So, not sure why only Goku gets crap for this.

Piccolo was just as excited as Goku when he heard the stakes, Vegeta wanted to go with only nine people since he was enough and was baffled by Goku’s lack of confident, 17 didn’t care since everyone will be erased together, and 18 wants money.
This is really the most baffling thing to me about the Goku hate. Is that some can actually sit here and give him shit as if he's apparently the only one guilty of acting a certain way. Like he's expressed more care for the stakes of this tournament than most of his team so far (funny enough. Kuririn, 18, 17, Freeza, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and arguably Vegeta too have all showed less care in the stakes than him) but Goku apparently is the absolute worst for apparently not caring when his friends all act the same way as him. He's given shit while the others get off with little to no flak. The issue isn't the Goku hate, the issue is people hating on him as if he's the only one guilty of this shit. The double standard with Goku is painfully obvious in this saga.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:29 am

Jigurashi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

This is really the most baffling thing to me about the Goku hate. Is that some can actually sit here and give him shit as if he's apparently the only one guilty of acting a certain way. Like he's expressed more care for the stakes of this tournament than most of his team so far (funny enough. Kuririn, 18, 17, Freeza, Roshi, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and arguably Vegeta too have all showed less care in the stakes than him) but Goku apparently is the absolute worst for apparently not caring when his friends all act the same way as him. He's given shit while the others get off with little to no flak. The issue isn't the Goku hate, the issue is people hating on him as if he's the only one guilty of this shit. The double standard with Goku is painfully obvious in this saga.
And honestly I don’t see the point in it either, they shown the point that saving energy and keeping stamina is absolutely vital to victory and it proved true mainly with Goku if he got as serious as he did and pushed so of the weaker guys around to do something drastic like fusion and/or draw attention to himself he’d get run down till eventually Jiren jumps in and he’s not at top shape or worse...

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:16 am

Well dude, I find Goku to be the best in the entire series while Vegeta especially in the current arc to be the worst and not to meneton The most moronic one at that too. For example he is very arrogant, is still trying to one up Goku even when the entire universe is at stake, didn't contribute in helping goku out with the spirit bomb (he didn't share his energy which was very selfish of him), trying to take on Jiren while knowing what he did to Goku ssbkkx20 plus the spirit bomb which is leagues above what Vegeta is capable off. Vegeta in this arc is a complete retard and yes, I dislike him.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 pm

i agree. i dont find goku an interesting charecter at all. hes just boring. vegeta is the real true player

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:09 am

since Goku being an overall trash character can be interpreted in different ways. Some things need to be added. I'd like to discuss his affect on the supporting cast as well. Usually in shonen you have the main character and the supporting characters. This usually works well because the main character is interesting for example- Gon from HxH, Elric from Fullmetal alchemist, luffy from one piece, etc. And the supporting cast are written as well as (if not better than) the main character and continuesly add to the story. In dragon ball super this is the supporting cast are more interesting than the MC but the focus always remains on the MC.

Not only is Goku an uninteresting and poorly written character, the supporting characters suffer because of it. This was tolerated in Z because the focus was rarely ever on Goku for the majority of the arc giving other characters like piccolo, tien and krillin screentime. Goku was mostly a plot device (he still is) that would show up at the end and hog the focus there. In super however the focus is always on Goku and you start to notice how woefully garbage the character actually is.

Added to the OP

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am

Abra kadabra wrote:since Goku being an overall trash character can be interpreted in different ways. Some things need to be added. I'd like to discuss his affect on the supporting cast as well. Usually in shonen you have the main character and the supporting characters. This usually works well because the main character is interesting for example- Gon from HxH, Elric from Fullmetal alchemist, luffy from one piece, etc. And the supporting cast are written as well as (if not better than) the main character and continuesly add to the story. In dragon ball super this is the supporting cast are more interesting than the MC but the focus always remains on the MC.

Not only is Goku an uninteresting and poorly written character, the supporting characters suffer because of it. This was tolerated in Z because the focus was rarely ever on Goku for the majority of the arc giving other characters like piccolo, tien and krillin screentime. Goku was mostly a plot device (he still is) that would show up at the end and hog the focus there. In super however the focus is always on Goku and you start to notice how woefully garbage the character actually is.

Added to the OP
Find most characters in HxH more interesting than Gon whose basically Kid Goku, but not as charming.
Kanassa wrote:

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am

HeroR wrote:Find most characters in HxH more interesting than Gon whose basically Kid Goku, but not as charming.
I agree that most characters in HxH are more interesting than gon but the focus doesn't remain on him the whole time. So the supporting characters get more time to shine and develop. He's a pure of heart main character done right. Basically a better Goku than Goku .