Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Guesswhoo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:08 pm

In my opinion, the anime and manga can't really be compared to each other because the two seem to have different goal. The anime tries to appeal to young boy ( hence the messed battle power and some fanservice character etc etc) whilst the manga tries to appeal to older fan.
If I must choose, I may give it to the anime, because the manga tend to be really boring thanks to the overwhelming " exposition time" and bland character interaction :problem:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Beyond wrote:Piccolo character has been dealt some serious blows in super. In Z , he was mainly just there to do cool stuff after the saiyan arc. His fight with Frieza was cool even if it was ultimately unimportant. In the android arc his fight with Gero, 17, and cell were cool, even though they caused more harm than good. In the buu arc I'd say he was at his 2nd best since the saiyan arc, even though he didn't do much his character interactions were great. You could take Piccolo out of the story but I wouldn't want you to because I actually liked him. In super, he can fuck right off though, except in the filler episodes because he still has good character interactions.
Finally, someone agrees with me piccolo was always a worthless character since the Saiyan Saga,I like his character but he is unimportant, like seriously krillin maybe the butt of the lame and unfunny memes but he contributed more than piccolo in namek, regardless of this,I did enjoyed his role in the saiyan,Buu, deadzone and filler from DBZ and DBS. And that's the reason why I can't get behind of people complaint about piccolo losing to frost in both versions, especially in the manga
Guesswhoo wrote:In my opinion, the anime and manga can't really be compared to each other because the two seem to have different goal. The anime tries to appeal to young boy ( hence the messed battle power and some fanservice character etc etc) whilst the manga tries to appeal to older fan.
If I must choose, I may give it to the anime, because the manga tend to be really boring thanks to the overwhelming " exposition time" and bland character interaction :problem:
I disagree,the anime also appeal to the older fan as well, and the exposition is annoying in the ft trunks manga version,I just wish they stop.
Mostly active on discord.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Yeah that is one thing I dislike in both, is the amount of throwbacks they do to the other series, like let Super be it's own thing, for example Toyo went out his way to make Goku and Vegeta spar so he can use that iconic pose from the Saiyan arc, plus the anime is no better and worse in some instances like with the whole Piccolo sacrifice thing...shudders.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm

With the last chapter in mind, I say Absolute Zamasu against Goku and Vegeta is much better in the manga. Absolute Zamasu against Vegetto is much better in the anime.

For the first fight, we have some actual choreography in the manga and not ki attacks spamming from the anime. The use of choking techniques and other Kaio/Kaioshin type attacks was great.

For the second fight, the anime delivered some top-notch action with great animation. Toyotarõ gave us a lack-buster fight, very generic nothing really caught my eye.

This is strictly about visuals/choreography, I'm not bringing power-scaling and other side factors into the equation.

What do you guys/girls think?

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm

LightBing wrote:With the last chapter in mind, I say Absolute Zamasu against Goku and Vegeta is much better in the manga. Absolute Zamasu against Vegetto is much better in the anime.

For the first fight, we have some actual choreography in the manga and not ki attacks spamming from the anime. The use of choking techniques and other Kaio/Kaioshin type attacks was great.

For the second fight, the anime delivered some top-notch action with great animation. Toyotarõ gave us a lack-buster fight, very generic nothing really caught my eye.

This is strictly about visuals/choreography, I'm not bringing power-scaling and other side factors into the equation.

What do you guys/girls think?
In all honestly, without speaking about coherency and power logic, you pretty much said the same thing I trough.

Merged Zamasu using the box ability was a really nice touch at first, but I'm dissapointed about him not doing anything really memorable against Vegetto. I know the point was to show how superior Vegetto was, but that doesn't mean Merged could not have tried some type of different attack. I'm really dissapointed (trough this go for both manga and anime) for the lack of a good sword fight or even just a Kame Hame Ha vs another.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Black may be anything in the manga, but at least he's Zamasu. The anime's a guy who stole the body of a Saiyan to fulfill his plan, and gets a totally different personaldiad.
Black from the manga does not receive unexplained Power Ups, does not receive snapshots Zenkais, does not remove scythes from beyond (that reason for the rage was ridiculous, even worse were those clones of pink smoke coming out of pink crevices).

But people like it because it's fanservice, and although it does not make sense, there are a lot of fans cracked by Black, so they ignore it and run into the inconsistencies in the manga.

Manga in fact is less thrilling than anime, but I believe he sacrifices it with being more consistent in fighting powers, and a more somber footprint. In that question he is far superior to anime. In addition to re-using the SSG.

Make no mistake, I really like the anime, so much I keep watching, I like it as much as the manga. But the truth is that the manga is more coherent, especially in the Black Saga. It only irritates me when people enjoy ignoring the innumerable incoherencies of anime Just to crit the manga.
But Toyotaro does a monthly manga, that is, is extremely limited and so can not explore everything that should with this, despite having help from Toriyama

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:Black may be anything in the manga, but at least he's Zamasu. The anime's a guy who stole the body of a Saiyan to fulfill his plan, and gets a totally different personaldiad.
Black from the manga does not receive unexplained Power Ups, does not receive snapshots Zenkais, does not remove scythes from beyond (that reason for the rage was ridiculous, even worse were those clones of pink smoke coming out of pink crevices).

But people like it because it's fanservice, and although it does not make sense, there are a lot of fans cracked by Black, so they ignore it and run into the inconsistencies in the manga.
Lol no :lol: . I mean, i love Black but i don't ignore things such as what happened in #64. For me he's superior in the anime for his different personality. He's still Zamasu, he even holds some of the best speech about #mortalsnoallowed in the whole arc; but at the same time he's also a little bit changed and even respects the foolish ningen called Son Goku. This makes him more interesting as another steps in Zamasu's evolution.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm

While Merged Zamasu blitzing both Goku and Vegeta in the manga looked cool, I still dont like Zamasus fighting style, its like he is a Jedi combined with psychic powers

Seeing Zamasu throwing Kachin Cubes felt like I was reading a low tier version of OPM when Tatsumaki or Fubuki fight.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

perucho1990 wrote:While Merged Zamasu blitzing both Goku and Vegeta in the manga looked cool, I still dont like Zamasus fighting style, its like he is a Jedi combined with psychic powers

Seeing Zamasu throwing Kachin Cubes felt like I was reading a low tier version of OPM when Tatsumaki or Fubuki fight.
Toyataro just watch too much stars wars,I mean I can be only one who noticed the gowasu and Black in 21 similar to the force awakens.
    I still didn't read chapter 23 from what I seen,it looks alright

LightBing
    I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

perucho1990 wrote:While Merged Zamasu blitzing both Goku and Vegeta in the manga looked cool, I still dont like Zamasus fighting style, its like he is a Jedi combined with psychic powers

I felt like I was watching Freeza throwing rocks and using psychic powers for, amount other things, kill Kuririn. I guess that's just me.

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 am

True one of the reasons why I prefer Black in the anime is because he was like a walking fan fic character, a sadistic badass Goku that never actually lost on paper cause his zenkai's pops out instantly, and calls upon a scythe with a power to open a new dimension? that is crazy.
    Manga gives us the lighter experience which feels more normal than extreme.
    I like bother versions I dont think anything was wrong with them as with the events that followed I think both their manga and anime counterparts of Goku,Vegeta and Trunks were all IC, but for some reason I just prefer the manga because it doesnt feel too fanficky and just uses what happened back in DB instead of pulling random stuffs.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:20 pm

In spite of everyone praising the anime more, and say this scene was cooler and better, examples Merged zamasu,the anime handled mz better,because his attack are cooler, but the manga did a better job with Vegeta motivation of fusion

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 pm

The gr wrote:In spite of everyone praising the anime more, and say this scene was cooler and better, examples Merged zamasu,the anime handled mz better,because his attack are cooler, but the manga did a better job with Vegeta motivation of fusion
    Vegeta should not need a motivation to fuse to even begin with.
    Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Vegeta should not need a motivation fuse to even begin with.
    true, but since saiyans are moron that hates fusing,is no surprise that someone sane enough would tell Vegeta to fuse,is not like the anime did any better with that scene

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 pm

The gr wrote:
    true, but since saiyans are moron that hates fusing,is no surprise that someone sane enough would tell Vegeta to fuse,is not like the anime did any better with that scene
    In the anime, Vegeta didn't really need convincing, he just needed a few seconds to think it over before going "Fuck it"
    When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
    FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
    - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:
    The gr wrote:
    In the anime, Vegeta didn't really need convincing, he just needed a few seconds to think it over before going "Fuck it"
    Still Vegeta was hesitant to fuse in the beginning
      the manga annoy me with them going 1 v 1 instead of 2v1, that just makes saiyan,the most moronic race,I could excuse them in rof, since they Know golden frieza weakness but in the Manga is a worse case, like seriously how your gonna stop an inmortal enemy that is way stronger, in 1v1 and the worst part is, they Know how fast and strong is mz, and it was Goku of all people going in with 1v1

Kanassa
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:59 pm

The gr wrote: Still Vegeta was hesitant to fuse in the beginning
      I don't see the problem with hesitating a few seconds, though I do see a problem with Vegeta needing MORE convincing from Trunks.

Kanassa wrote:
      FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 pm

The gr wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote: Vegeta should not need a motivation to fuse to even begin with.
      At least Goku tried to, and successfully and quickly convinced, Vegeta to fuse him after Vegeta initially declined. Instead of just accepting Vegeta's refusal to fuse and stupidly deciding to take turns in fighting Merged Zamasu with Vegeta.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
      The gr wrote:
      Kanassa wrote: In the anime, Vegeta didn't really need convincing, he just needed a few seconds to think it over before going "Fuck it"
      Still Vegeta was hesitant to fuse in the beginning
      I don't see the problem with hesitating a few seconds, though I do see a problem with Vegeta needing MORE convincing from Trunks.
      Well is opinion,if you like how to Anime​ potray it,more power to you but I'm just going with The Manga while unnecessary it was, we seriously needed a mention about ft bulma in the Manga, and it make sense if trunks was the guy who convinced him, but your right In the Anime he got over it quickly
        Let's talk MZ 1 fight,the hand to hand combat was done better in the manga, and they potray his op Power better but the anime did better with the team work and mz ability, really a double edged sword,if we fused both versions of the fight, with mz blitzing Goku and Vegeta, and keeping​ The hth combat element,the anime with the Teamwork and mz ability,we would have the perfect fight

Kanassa
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

The gr wrote:
        Kanassa wrote:
        The gr wrote: Still Vegeta was hesitant to fuse in the beginning
        Well is opinion,if you like how to Anime​ potray it,more power to you but I'm just going with The Manga while unnecessary it was, we seriously needed a mention about ft bulma in the Manga, and it make sense if trunks was the guy who convinced him, but your right In the Anime he got over it quickly
        I just feel like the Manga takes away from the character while the Anime added a layer of (Admittedly) small development, especially considering this is exactly what Whis was chastising them for in the RoF arc. Though I agree Bulma needed ot be mentioned, because I was under the impression Trunks had completely forgotten her.

Kanassa wrote: