Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Abra kadabra » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 pm

The gr wrote:I don't get it, trunks got his moments in the manga, let me put a list
    -escaping from Black in chapter 15
      -Healing mai
        -Killing dabura and badidi
          -helping to solved the mystery
            -saving Goku and Vegeta
              -stalling Black , letting vegeta and Goku escape
                -despite being brutally tortured by black in 21,he was just laughing at this brute despite being beat up
                  -Healing gowasu, meaning he saved the u10 hakaishin​ and not afraid to run away from Black and zamas despite being weak
                    -motivating Vegeta to fuse
                      -Healing Goku,it wasn't that useful but at least it wear down zamas time limit
                        -lastly slicing mz in half,he may not be Rambo like his anime counterpart but hey he has his moments in the mangaI say the Manga use there cast well in this arc like the anime
                        No he didn't. They should probably change the name of this arc in the manga as to not confuse the reader.

The gr
                        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Abra kadabra wrote:
                        The gr wrote:I don't get it, trunks got his moments in the manga, let me put a list
                          -escaping from Black in chapter 15
                            -Healing mai
                              -Killing dabura and badidi
                                -helping to solved the mystery
                                  -saving Goku and Vegeta
                                    -stalling Black , letting vegeta and Goku escape
                                      -despite being brutally tortured by black in 21,he was just laughing at this brute despite being beat up
                                        -Healing gowasu, meaning he saved the u10 hakaishin​ and not afraid to run away from Black and zamas despite being weak
                                          -motivating Vegeta to fuse
                                            -Healing Goku,it wasn't that useful but at least it wear down zamas time limit
                                              -lastly slicing mz in half,he may not be Rambo like his anime counterpart but hey he has his moments in the mangaI say the Manga use there cast well in this arc like the anime
                                              No he didn't. They should probably change the name of this arc in the manga as to not confuse the reader.
                                              Then your blind by salt and hate,do me a favor and read this Manga with a straight face
                                              Mostly active on discord.

sintzu
                                              Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 am

The manga has proven once again that it's on a completely different level from the anime. Every month it proves that the anime could've been so much more than what it currently is.
                                              July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Abra kadabra
                                              Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:33 am

Not only is the manga soulless, dull and lacking character development or personality, it also reads like it was written by a child (most fanfiction do). Very messy execution, back to back contradictions, dragged out exposition and overall terrible writing. The anime is honestly superior in every aspect. It's a shame the manga was entrusted to a fanfic writer. This is the result. It's not surprising that the manga is getting shat on. Art looks nice though.

Overlord78
                                              Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:42 am

sintzu wrote:The manga has proven once again that it's on a completely different level from the anime. Every month it proves that the anime could've been so much more than what it currently is.
                                              Implying that makes the manga a good product. It's still garbage overall, just slightly less shit than the anime which isn't saying much.

Baggie_Saiyan
                                              Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 am

Abra kadabra wrote:Not only is the manga soulless, dull and lacking character development or personality, it also reads like it was written by a child (most fanfiction do). Very messy execution, back to back contradictions, dragged out exposition and overall terrible writing. The anime is honestly superior in every aspect. It's a shame the manga was entrusted to a fanfic writer. This is the result. It's not surprising that the manga is getting shat on. Art looks nice though.
                                              I agree, it reads like a glorified fanfic, characterisations are non existent why are Goku and Vegeta still acting like children? In the anime they actually worked together. The villains have been so under-developed it is a joke, I don't care about Zamasu at all in the Manga, why should I? Toyo hasn't given me a reason too. And then my biggest issue is the constant throwbacks the anime is guilty of this too but Toyo makes too obvious yes well done Toyo you read Toriyama's Manga bravo well done. :roll: Also one of the main crux of the arc was the mystery between Black and Zamasu and from what I remember Toyo totally side-stepped this like it was some sort of minor plot point. The art is also starting to get sloppy he's totally forgot how to draw base Trunks these last few chapters. I know the anime had Ikari and the Spirit Sword but Toyo has done no better from SSG Vegeta to "Destroy" Goku, I was actually enjoying the Manga so much more up until the end of the U6 arc such a shame.

emperior
                                              I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am

I feel like Toyotaro has got some good ideas but ultimately his manga feels like a fan-fiction most of the times, and it lacks the freshness of the anime because of Toyotaro trying to make his manga too much like Toriyama's - storywise too.
                                              His Merged Zamasu, for example, feels like a Buu clone - in personality too sometimes. In chapter 25, it seems like his body is made out of gum like Buu's as he was constantly getting his body parts ripped off.
                                              悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
                                              Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am

Overlord78 wrote:Implying that makes the manga a good product. It's still garbage overall, just slightly less shit than the anime which isn't saying much.
                                              I'm saying this based on liking Super's basic plots, if you don't then the manga won't change anything for you no matter how much it improves on the anime.

BlueBasilisk
                                              I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 am

emperior wrote:I feel like Toyotaro has got some good ideas but ultimately his manga feels like a fan-fiction most of the times, and it lacks the freshness of the anime because of Toyotaro trying to make his manga too much like Toriyama's - storywise too.
                                              His Merged Zamasu, for example, feels like a Buu clone - in personality too sometimes. In chapter 25, it seems like his body is made out of gum like Buu's as he was constantly getting his body parts ripped off.
                                              I feel like Toyotaro is at his best when he's doing his own thing and not trying to imitate Toriyama or borrowing so much from the original manga. It makes the work feel more insincere, I think. I know he wants to stay true to the original Dragon Ball manga but I think it's completely possible to do that while still taking a unique approach.

The gr
                                              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm

emperior wrote:I feel like Toyotaro has got some good ideas but ultimately his manga feels like a fan-fiction most of the times, and it lacks the freshness of the anime because of Toyotaro trying to make his manga too much like Toriyama's - storywise too.
                                              I agree the Manga lack of the freshness, like mz feels to much like super buu, and he won't stop doing homages,at this point we have to accept it,he do homages because he wants to despite being annoying and overused.
                                              Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I agree, it reads like a glorified fanfic, characterisations are non existent why are Goku and Vegeta still acting like children? In the anime they actually worked together. The villains have been so under-developed it is a joke, I don't care about Zamasu at all in the Manga, why should I? Toyo hasn't given me a reason too. And then my biggest issue is the constant throwbacks the anime is guilty of this too but Toyo makes too obvious yes well done Toyo you read Toriyama's Manga bravo well done. :roll: Also one of the main crux of the arc was the mystery between Black and Zamasu and from what I remember Toyo totally side-stepped this like it was some sort of minor plot point. The art is also starting to get sloppy he's totally forgot how to draw base Trunks these last few chapters. I know the anime had Ikari and the Spirit Sword but Toyo has done no better from SSG Vegeta to "Destroy" Goku, I was actually enjoying the Manga so much more up until the end of the U6 arc such a shame.
                                              I'm in the minority and say the mystery aspect suck in both versions and ft zamasu in the manga was way better than the anime, and I say present zamas was fine but the problem with zamas in general,the writers never gave a reason to care about his motivation,at the end of the day he is just your average nut Job

PeanutSaiyan
                                              Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Abra kadabra wrote:Not only is the manga soulless, dull and lacking character development or personality, it also reads like it was written by a child (most fanfiction do). Very messy execution, back to back contradictions, dragged out exposition and overall terrible writing. The anime is honestly superior in every aspect. It's a shame the manga was entrusted to a fanfic writer. This is the result. It's not surprising that the manga is getting shat on. Art looks nice though.
                                              Yeah, it's such a shame the manga has more grounded characters, a more compelling story and consequently better script, along with less pandering to 7 year olds as well as less cheap "gags" at the expense of characters. :roll:

If it reads like fan fic, that's because Super in it's entirety is as fan fic as you can get.

Abra kadabra
                                              Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
                                              Yeah, it's such a shame the manga has more grounded characters, a more compelling story and consequently better script, along with less pandering to 7 year olds as well as less cheap "gags" at the expense of characters. :roll:

If it reads like fan fic, that's because Super in it's entirety is as fan fic as you can get.
                                              I wasn't aware the manga had any of that. Well I didn't see any of that. Maybe I missed it but I sincerely doubt it.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Enough.

I hate to basically recycle the the same post from another recent thread, but this is ridiculous. The attitude/tone of the majority of posts since the last chapter started leaking are completely unacceptable. You are acting like children, being condescending, making gross generalizations, and resorting to personal insults.

These are not the type of conversations we want to promote here at Kanzenshuu, and we have better things to do than waste time babysitting them.

You are allowed to have your own opinions, and you are allowed to express them. However, you are also always expected to act like adults and treat each other with respect during discussions on the forum, as outlined in the forum rules (specifically #4). That includes learning to converse or debate with civility and tact.

This is the only free warning for everyone in the thread right now. I suggest re-reading the Forum Rules, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registering here, if you desire to remain a part of this community. As continuing this behavior will either result in Account Strikes being administered or outright temp bans from the entirety of the website, depending on the severity of content. If Kanzenshuu isn't the right fit for you, there are others out there. The fandom is vast.
                                              This warning from the official Super manga thread applies here as well. Knock off the snark, stop being rude and hold a conversation like adults.
                                              Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
                                              My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

sintzu
                                              Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:58 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I feel like Toyotaro is at his best when he's doing his own thing and not trying to imitate Toriyama or borrowing so much from the original manga.
                                              It'll be interesting to see what he'll do when/if he becomes the franchise's main writer once Toriyama is done. He has the art down and it seems to be getting better every month so if he can match it with good storytelling then the franchise will be in really good hands for years to come.

It seems like Toriyama is going to write up till the manga's ending so maybe the next story will be set after Omega Shenron's defeat in GT but before the 100 year time skip, like what they're doing now.

Cetra
                                              I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 pm

sintzu wrote:It seems like Toriyama is going to write up till the manga's ending so maybe the next story will be set after Omega Shenron's defeat in GT but before the 100 year time skip, like what they're doing now.
                                              Then I hope they make some fixes and finallyand officially connect it all.
                                              "Citation needed."
                                              "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sintzu
                                              Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Cetra wrote:Then I hope they make some fixes and finallyand officially connect it all.
                                              It'll depend on how things end in Super. For all we know they could completely remake GT with Super's plot taken into account.

ekrolo2
                                              Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:25 pm

I can't really decide which explanation for Merged Zamasu's going freaky is better or worse. Like, it's really REALLY dumb for him to not be entirely immortal in the anime just because Black wasn't when this is supposed to combine the two people together. But then again, the manga saying they're too similar and that screws with their biology is an odd way to go about it too.

I think the anime potentially had the right way to go about this: having one of Black's potara be faulty. In an episode before Goku & Vegeta come back for round 3, Mai shoots Black with a special bullet which amounts to nothing. I think having her bullet damage to potara and result in a faulty fusion would've been a pretty good way to have her contribute to the final fight and to explain why Merged Zamasu absolutely has to become a body horror show.

I will say, the manga is better so far just for Zamasu not randomly becoming some omnipotent force of nature because fucking reasons.
                                              When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PeanutSaiyan
                                              Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm

I really wish Zamasu/Black was a better villain in both versions...although in the manga he is developed a biiiit more. The only thing Black has going for him in the anime are style points: "omg cool entrancze and theme music!!1" Whereas Frieza, a much more developed character, has 1 episode where he finally gets showcased and the fandom goes nuts. (and rightfully so too)

Goku Black and Frieza's revival are one of the biggest missed opportunities of the franchise.

The gr
                                              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I can't really decide which explanation for Merged Zamasu's going freaky is better or worse. Like, it's really REALLY dumb for him to not be entirely immortal in the anime just because Black wasn't when this is supposed to combine the two people together. But then again, the manga saying they're too similar and that screws with their biology is an odd way to go about it too.

I think the anime potentially had the right way to go about this: having one of Black's potara be faulty. In an episode before Goku & Vegeta come back for round 3, Mai shoots Black with a special bullet which amounts to nothing. I think having her bullet damage to potara and result in a faulty fusion would've been a pretty good way to have her contribute to the final fight and to explain why Merged Zamasu absolutely has to become a body horror show.

I will say, the manga is better so far just for Zamasu not randomly becoming some omnipotent force of nature because fucking reasons.
                                              Can we admit mutated zamas looked cool and his speech when he was stabbed was good
                                                It Make perfect sense for MZ being op, after all he's a fusion of Black and zamas, anime zamas is God tier unlike his manga counterpart

ekrolo2
                                                Kicks it Old-School
                                                Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm

The gr wrote:
                                                ekrolo2 wrote:I can't really decide which explanation for Merged Zamasu's going freaky is better or worse. Like, it's really REALLY dumb for him to not be entirely immortal in the anime just because Black wasn't when this is supposed to combine the two people together. But then again, the manga saying they're too similar and that screws with their biology is an odd way to go about it too.

Can we admit mutated zamas looked cool and his speech when he was stabbed was good
                                                  It Make perfect sense for MZ being op, after all he's a fusion of Black and zamas, anime zamas is God tier unlike his manga counterpart
                                                  His power isn't really relevant, why he turns into a freakshow doesn't really work in either version. Why is he only half immortal in the manga? Isn't the point of fusion making a new entity with all the best attributes of the two who make him up? What, if Black lost a finger Merged Zamasu would have only 9 and a half fingers?

The cellular thing from the manga's dumb since Black isn't even biologically like him and I fail to see how that would let Zamasu make copies of himself and gain body altering properties. His break down into a monster is a cool visual thing but the mechanics don't really work anywhere.
                                                  When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):