What made Black work?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: What made Black work?

Post by gohan_black » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm

because its not an evil goku really. evil goku would have been if the actual goku would turn evil because of mind control/poison/whatever. kinda like how everyone turned into demons in the garlic jr arc. yes if it was this idea of an evil goku it would suck very much.

however look at my avatar and pretty much everyone who i asked about this agreed. it would have been 10X times better if it was gohan black. because trunks reletionhip with his mentor who he loved the most. just imagine trunks seeing him destroy earth. this could have also attract gohan into fighting again and he would have been a big part of the arc. zamasu hatred for goku is kinda generic since goku has like 20 vilians who hate him.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:46 pm

gohan_black wrote:however look at my avatar and pretty much everyone who i asked about this agreed. it would have been 10X times better if it was gohan black. because trunks reletionhip with his mentor who he loved the most. just imagine trunks seeing him destroy earth. this could have also attract gohan into fighting again and he would have been a big part of the arc. zamasu hatred for goku is kinda generic since goku has like 20 vilians who hate him.
I agree that would have been even more hard to accept for Trunks.

The problem would have been giving a good reason for Zamasu to pick up Gohan: he was a lot behind the power of his father, he did not have god ki, he was not so annoying as his father.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Gig wrote:
gohan_black wrote:however look at my avatar and pretty much everyone who i asked about this agreed. it would have been 10X times better if it was gohan black. because trunks reletionhip with his mentor who he loved the most. just imagine trunks seeing him destroy earth. this could have also attract gohan into fighting again and he would have been a big part of the arc. zamasu hatred for goku is kinda generic since goku has like 20 vilians who hate him.
I agree that would have been even more hard to accept for Trunks.

The problem would have been giving a good reason for Zamasu to pick up Gohan: he was a lot behind the power of his father, he did not have god ki, he was not so annoying as his father.
since goku died in the future timeline and everyone else by the androids he could have got to somewhere in thefnutdroid sega of the future

bott52

Post by bott52 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Why was his ki black? I understand his villainous role, that he's dressed in black, and his nickname is Black, but personally I don't think the ki color makes sense other than just to do it that way. Zamasu's ki was purple, and Super Saiyan Rose was pink, and Merged Zamasu's ranged from multiple colors(pink, purple, red, white). The only reason I can think they made it black was to go along with his name and his own rather unique design compared to Zamasu so people wouldn't too easily recognize Black as Zamasu. Or they could have just wanted a dark Goku from the get-go.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 pm

bott52 wrote:Why was his ki black? I understand his villainous role, that he's dressed in black, and his nickname is Black, but personally I don't think the ki color makes sense other than just to do it that way. Zamasu's ki was purple, and Super Saiyan Rose was pink, and Merged Zamasu's ranged from multiple colors(pink, purple, red, white). The only reason I can think they made it black was to go along with his name and his own rather unique design compared to Zamasu so people wouldn't too easily recognize Black as Zamasu. Or they could have just wanted a dark Goku from the get-go.
Well Zamasu seemed to like Black cloths even as a kaioshin so that explains the cloths. As for his ki well thats likely just the blend of his godly ki and Goku's natural ki.

Thats another think I like about anime Black, no redundant transformations. Him just powering up with his aura changing to match Goku's SS2 is much more unique an interesting.

Hakaishin Saitama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Saitama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Totamo wrote:Evil Goku is a terrible idea and should have been as generic as all hell, yet one of the few things many agree with is black was the best part about the arc.
The mystery of who or what the heck Black was made it very interesting for me. On that note, the reveal of who Black was in the anime was much better than how it was done in the manga. The growth of his power throughout the arc was a mystery and very cool to watch. I think it was also interesting that he was essentially the polar opposite of Goku (evil, cold, aloof, serious, well spoken, cruel, etc.).

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
Totamo wrote:Evil Goku is a terrible idea and should have been as generic as all hell, yet one of the few things many agree with is black was the best part about the arc.
The mystery of who or what the heck Black was made it very interesting for me. On that note, the reveal of who Black was in the anime was much better than how it was done in the manga. The growth of his power throughout the arc was a mystery and very cool to watch. I think it was also interesting that he was essentially the polar opposite of Goku (evil, cold, aloof, serious, well spoken, cruel, etc.).
The growth of his power was an interesting mystery in the anime... the problem is that they never solved that mystery...

Hakaishin Saitama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Saitama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:06 am

Gig wrote:
Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
The growth of his power was an interesting mystery in the anime... the problem is that they never solved that mystery...
Agreed. Aside from the reveal of who Black was, I think the manga is doing a much better job of explaining the how and why. But that quick reveal of Black being Zamasu in the manga was booooooring... anime did that part much, much better.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 am

Toei and Nazawa
Toei took the concept and made him a smug Saiyan god. Even when getting his ass kicked he'd quickly regain his composure, this was new for a DB villain. His voicework was awesome too, and his design was great.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 am

I wasn't keen at all on the idea of a Evil Goku before the arc started. I thought it was an un-original development for the story, and could have been executed in a very bland way.

Than Episode 47 happened, with its dramatic music & THAT entrance already set up the field for a great carachter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWBDtk03XI

Every scene with Black in was gold, can't remember a scene where he wasn't badass. He was calm, smug, savage in his way of fighting and pursued his ideals with a clear mind, but without being excessivly petulant as Future Zamasu.

His personality traits were mixed with Goku's, but developed in their own way so yes...he was only Zamasu at the beginning, but than became just...Black.

Would have liked a proper send off for him, deserved it rather than seeing him disappear during the Fusion.