why do peolple have a problem with the humans being on the team?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

why do peolple have a problem with the humans being on the team?

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm

seriously for years we have bitched and complain on how the humans never do anything or being useless or never getting a powerup.
sure theres rof but all they did was beat worthless fodder might as well stomping on a bunch of ants.
now they have chance to play an important role in this upcoming arc.
but now its been nothing but nonstop bitching about why there on the team.
its been "why not goten and trunks"
bringing dead villians back cell or Freeza despite the latter having an movie and arc dedicated to him.
or even bringing non canon characters like pikkon.
i understand the bitching about roshi involvement but other than that i see nothing wrong with it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: why do people have a problem with the humans being on the team?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm perfectly happy with the team members that we have, but I imagine some aren't because characters like Roshi and Tenshinhan haven't done anything to earn it.
Retired.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Re: why do peolple have a problem with the humans being on the team?

Post by Lapislettuce » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

pacz360 wrote:seriously for years we have bitched and complain on how the humans never do anything or being useless or never getting a powerup.
sure theres rof but all they did was beat worthless fodder might as well stomping on a bunch of ants.
now they have chance to play an important role in this upcoming arc.
but now its been nothing but nonstop bitching about why there on the team.
its been "why not goten and trunks"
bringing dead villians back cell or Freeza despite the latter having an movie and arc dedicated to him.
or even bringing non canon characters like pikkon.
i understand the bitching about roshi involvement but other than that i see nothing wrong with it.
Because this is the western fans for ya all they are capable of is to complain and wank the saiyans,i doubt the fans are like that in Japan though.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

bring back freeza and Cell, put in trunks and goten. you know the discount versions of cooler characters.

I really do think dragon Ball fans just want pandering and fan service.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the problem is the power creep for half of the characters is so big people don't want to believe that someone like Roshi, Tien, or Krillin will be useful in a tournament of some of the best fighters in the universe.

When you look at U7 team it goes

1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Gohan
4. Buu
5. Piccolo
6. Android 17
7. Android 18
8. Krillin
9. Tien
10. Roshi

Unless stated otherwise, the bottom 3 are nowhere close to even First Form Frieza (Namek). So there's a big gap. However, to be fair we don't know how powerful the strongest warriors in other universes are.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Yedis wrote:I think the problem is the power creep for half of the characters is so big people don't want to believe that someone like Roshi, Tien, or Krillin will be useful in a tournament of some of the best fighters in the universe.

When you look at U7 team it goes

1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Gohan
4. Buu
5. Piccolo
6. Android 17
7. Android 18
8. Krillin
9. Tien
10. Roshi

Unless stated otherwise, the bottom 3 are nowhere close to even First Form Frieza (Namek). So there's a big gap. However, to be fair we don't know how powerful the strongest warriors in other universes are.
I could understand Roshi but Guys like tien and krillin have attack that can harm beings out of there league

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm ok with this team to be honest, with the only exception being Muten Roshi. He's the only problem in the team because, in my opinion, for someone who was absent since the 23rd TB arc (because he was surpassed by most of the cast) until Super - for some reason, Toriyama remembered about Roshi and decided to use him as a fighter, someone who stayed in the sidelines because the author himself saw no use in him, not to mention that the character deliberatly retired after the 22nd tournament to give room for the next generation of martial artists.

I seriously doubt that Roshi got stronger than an untrained Yamcha, but fine, I understand he doesn't like Yamcha (and Chaozu) and doesn't want to use him. I think any other fighter would be a better choice, because if experience is the only thing Roshi brings to the table... most of the team is already made of experienced fighters (I agree with Goten and Trunks being left out for their immaturity, presumably). As much as I like Roshi (and I mean it), I just don't see it... hopefully I'll be wrong.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Because some people grew up with Saiyajins and would love a SSJ5,6,7,8,9,10 and all that other DBAF shit.

I am satisfied with 90% of the team. My only problem is Muten Roshi instead of Yamcha.

God damn it Toriyama! :(

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm perfectly happy with the team members that we have, but I imagine some aren't because characters like Roshi and Tenshinhan haven't done anything to earn it.
Hey I think tenshinhan deserve that spot as much as Kuririn with his deadly kikoho, and constantly showing up in the front lines,but for roshi I really don't know if he deserves that
    There angry because Goten and trunks not being there, Instead we got muten roshi, but I'm ok tenshinhan and Kuririn because I prefer having diversity in my team rather than having more less the same, but for Muten roshi I'm mixed, they should Have replaced with a new character or Yamcha, but I'm really excited what the old man can dish out
      Oh and the idea of bringing back a villain,is awful Thank God we didn't went with that route
      Mostly active on discord.

mawilex
      Beyond Newbie

Post by mawilex » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Totamo wrote:I really do think dragon Ball fans just want pandering and fan service.
      And that's what "they" got. The "fan-service" here is to actually include the likes of Muten Roshi in the team, since - as the OP stated - a lot of people wanted to see the Human characters back in action for a long time now.
      Jaetinh wrote:Because some people grew up with Saiyajins and would love a SSJ5,6,7,8,9,10 and all that other DBAF shit.

I am satisfied with 90% of the team. My only problem is Muten Roshi instead of Yamcha.

God damn it Toriyama! :(
      I think "those people" are pretty satisfied with what they got already: Goku, Gohan & Vegeta are part of the team, three new Super Saiyan forms: God, Blue & Rosé, and a somewhat similar concept of the DBAF "shit" with the Zamasu arc.

And I find it incredibly pathetic how you're shitting on people who wanted to see Goten or Trunks instead of Roshi, but when you wanted Yamcha instead of Roshi, it's perfectly fine.

If you are fond of Yamcha and got bummed that a character with whom you grew up with wasn't included in the team, shouldn't you be understanding of people who wanted to see their favorite characters (Saiyans or not) with whom they grew up with included in the team, too? They don't want to see SS5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or DBAF "shit", they just want to see those characters being relevant again, much like people who wanted to see Roshi, Krilin or Tien again.

Goten & Trunks got what? One... Two fights in the entire franchise? It's not as if they've been squatting the series forever.

Totamo
      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:36 pm

The gr wrote:
      Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm perfectly happy with the team members that we have, but I imagine some aren't because characters like Roshi and Tenshinhan haven't done anything to earn it.
      Hey I think tenshinhan deserve that spot as much as Kuririn with his deadly kikoho, and constantly showing up in the front lines,but for roshi I really don't know if he deserves that
        There angry because Goten and trunks not being there, Instead we got muten roshi, but I'm ok tenshinhan and Kuririn because I prefer having diversity in my team rather than having more less the same, but for Muten roshi I'm mixed, they should Have replaced with a new character or Yamcha, but I'm really excited what the old man can dish out
          Oh and the idea of bringing back a villain,is awful Thank God we didn't went with that route
          Thank God, I thought I was the only one who thought that idea was awful.

Lujin_16
          Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 am

bringing back Cell & Frieza is really a stupid idea you can see some fans have zero creativity...

SansrivaaL
          I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:27 am

I'm fine with them rather than taking new characters again, I'd much rather have our older casts, bar 17 cause I never really felt anything for the guy (woulda preferred Yamcha), 18 grew on me cause she had some scenes here and there in the Boo Saga, plus she's Krillin's wife.

ssbgoku
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ssbgoku » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:46 am

Well for me it is simple that from fan's perspective we should be fine with what we got although I didnt like and likely still dont see Roshi being too much use in tournament but whatever also yamcha should be instead of him at least power wise and ability wise. Lack of goten and trunks is disappointment.

Anyway they just explained themselves a bit why choose of such characters and not other due to strict tournament rules but too be true it only for sale and nostalgia of childhood characters is what they aim for even it it lack sense or consistency.

My only issue is beerus here who even after knowing stake of tournament still isnt raking any action bringing all most powerfull universe 7 characters who has lived ever not just current. Sure from his perspective he should care about their drive or being good evil as long as common aim is to survive and make universe 7 not erased.

This is where it make onlt sense of beeeus to bring back dead evil mortals just increase his chance but partially it can forgiven due to rules of cooperation plus just pissing zeno would make them dead at ant moment so maybe too much of risk. However would they be stupid enough to do that well who know

TheMikado
          I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 am

There are a ton of reasons why this seems odd.

The exclusion of Goten and Trunks is particularly odd as they are the strongest after the core three fighters.
          They entrusted them years ago to save the universe by possibly facing certain death at the hands of a monster, but now the universal tournament where the survival of the universe hangs in the balance, BUT KILLING IS NOT ALLOWED. Is suddenly too much for them to handle... Especially when they went out of their way to find 17, a guy who they haven't talked to in years and add Roshi, a guy who hasn't really seen a fight in years, to the group.
          I actually have no problem with the lack of Goten and Trunks, the problem is power scaling wise we have SSBxKKx10 Goku down to Roshi with a power level of maybe 100-200. Sure he can be an advisory on the battlefield, however I would have much rather they have Roshi sit down with King Kai and Elder Kai, and act as the three team coaches telepathically on the sidelines. That would have been a MUCH better use for him. I also find it weird that to my knowledge those guy never sat down and had a conversation about Goku which would likely be pretty hilarious.

Zeru14
          Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 am

Would've been great to have Yamcha instead of Roshi, seeing him, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo together fighting again like in the Saiyan Saga and Tree of Might. I also would've accepted Tarble because 1. he needs some more screen time and 2. having a fighter currently not living on Earth would've added some variety to the team.