Does DBS have real "filler"? Do you think Hit trying to kill Goku will be completely ignored in this new arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Does DBS have real "filler"? Do you think Hit trying to kill Goku will be completely ignored in this new arc?

Post by Asura » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Does Dragonball Super have real "filler"? We know that TOEI pads in episodes between arcs that can be considered "filler", but usually filler is implied in a way in which it has nothing to do with the main plot and can be completely ignored. However, TOEI tried to have Hit assassinate Goku during one of these "filler" episodes which is pretty big for filler.

Do you think the development that was shown between Hit and Goku in that episode, or even the whole thing in general, will be brought up during the Universe Survival Arc once we see Hit again? Or do you think it will be written as if Hit killing Goku never happened? Most filler is slice of life like the baseball episode, and obviously we don't expect them to bring something like that up again, but considering the Hit vs Goku episode was not slice of life and was quite serious, with giving character development towards Hit that further helped change his outlook about Goku, do you think that the character development will stay, or be ignored because it was "filler"?

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Does DBS have real "filler"? Do you think Hit trying to kill Goku will be completely ignored in this new arc?

Post by pacz360 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Asura wrote:Does Dragonball Super have real "filler"? We know that TOEI pads in episodes between arcs that can be considered "filler", but usually filler is implied in a way in which it has nothing to do with the main plot and can be completely ignored. However, TOEI tried to have Hit assassinate Goku during one of these "filler" episodes which is pretty big for filler.

Do you think the development that was shown between Hit and Goku in that episode, or even the whole thing in general, will be brought up during the Universe Survival Arc once we see Hit again? Or do you think it will be written as if Hit killing Goku never happened? Most filler is slice of life like the baseball episode, and obviously we don't expect them to bring something like that up again, but considering the Hit vs Goku episode was not slice of life and was quite serious, with giving character development towards Hit that further helped change his outlook about Goku, do you think that the character development will stay, or be ignored because it was "filler"?
No they won't ignore it.
If they didn't forget krillin training from the island they won't forget hit's arc.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Does DBS have real "filler"? Do you think Hit trying to kill Goku will be completely ignored in this new arc?

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Planet Potaufeu was mentioned in the Black arc. They'll probably make a reference to Hit's promise of killing Goku or something.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Probably not. But if you forget everything else and focus on the anime chronology, thinking about all the events that happened only in the anime version, you'll see that it is possible that they can mention it, just like Potafeu saga was mentioned in Future Trunks saga. But that doesn't mean it's not filler, you know. When you realize that the anime's line of events are somehow "connected", that allows anime-only stuff to appear in canon stuff, like Gregory, Mr Satan's fellas from Cell saga, even Trunks' flashback of him turning into Super Saiyan for the first time was shown in Future Trunks saga, even though in the manga he already had the form. That's because him already having the Super Saiyan form is a thing that happened in the manga chronology, not in the anime. Got it?

In a nutshell, yes, I'd say Dragon Ball Super has real filler, but even when they are mentioned in "canon sagas", they're still filler content, because we also know that content is Toei's thing.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Grimlock wrote:Probably not. But if you forget everything else and focus on the anime chronology, thinking about all the events that happened only in the anime version, you'll see that it is possible that they can mention it, just like Potafeu saga was mentioned in Future Trunks saga. But that doesn't mean it's not filler, you know. When you realize that the anime's line of events are somehow "connected", that allows anime-only stuff to appear in canon stuff, like Gregory, Mr Satan's fellas from Cell saga, even Trunks' flashback of him turning into Super Saiyan for the first time was shown in Future Trunks saga, even though in the manga he already had the form. That's because him already having the Super Saiyan form is a thing that happened in the manga chronology, not in the anime. Got it?

In a nutshell, yes, I'd say Dragon Ball Super has real filler, but even when they are mentioned in "canon sagas", they're still filler content, because we also know that content is Toei's thing.
I don't think it'd be filler, since if it's mentioned it'd be canon to the anime. If you follow the anime, then the Copy Vegeta stuff is canon to it, as well as the Goku-Kuririn episodes (75-76).
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 pm

I guess DBS doesn't have any "real" filler. But any events that happen during the "filler" will probably be low priority when mentioning past events. Like if Hit and Goku meet they will refer to their last fight as the one that happened during the universe 6 tournament. At least that would be my guess.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm

It depends on what you mean by filler. Do you mean things that don't directly correlate to the plot? Or are you using the definition that most of the anime community uses, material that isn't authored by the original creator.

Either way, DBS pretty obviously does have filler.
Retired.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It depends on what you mean by filler. Do you mean things that don't directly correlate to the plot? Or are you using the definition that most of the anime community uses, material that isn't authored by the original creator.

Either way, DBS pretty obviously does have filler.
I'm referring to the latter definition. DBS obviously has filler, but the question is, how much of it is real filler? How does one decide what is filler and what isn't in an anime being written the same time as the manga? Normally we'd just use that definition you mentioned, which is material not authored by the original creator. But what happens when that "filler" is mentioned during an arc that is authored by the original creator? Does it become canon?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Asura wrote:I'm referring to the latter definition. DBS obviously has filler, but the question is, how much of it is real filler? How does one decide what is filler and what isn't in an anime being written the same time as the manga? Normally we'd just use that definition you mentioned, which is material not authored by the original creator. But what happens when that "filler" is mentioned during an arc that is authored by the original creator? Does it become canon?
There's no objective measurement to tell, it's all up to you. I don't see why you should write things like Potaufeu or the Hit mini-arc off as "non-canon" anyway. It's not like there are any contradictions that would warrant something like that.
Retired.

IKevinX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by IKevinX » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm

It all comes down to how the hell is Toei in the storyboard department. Having two episodes focusing on Krillin getting back to have yet another midsaga episode focusing on the same thing is if nothing else, another insight at DBS' episode production.
Imo, unless Toriyama plans another interaction between Goku and Hit like Krillin is getting now, they will be free to hint their little scuffle
Playlist for my Deep Look series on DBS. Analysis Manga+Anime
Playlist for my Top 7 Best moments on DBS, per arc.

Awesome Goku Black Tribute
Goku SSJ4 vs Goku SSJ God

I don't know why Jpn loves the first Broly movies given then enormous amount of parodies, but I've come to love them aswell, hence the Paragus.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -You know who. (Not Voldemort)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 am

Dragonball super is a continuation of Dragonball manga.
Not an inkling of it is near "filler."
The attempt on Goku's life by Hit being brought up or not doesn't change this fact.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 am

I always found this a weird subject. And a bit of strick

Considering the narrative format of Super, the show does technically have filler. Given that Toei are following a plot outline given to them by Toriyama and are filling the gap from one plot point to another. I'm certain that plot elements such as Planet Potaufeu, Commeson, Goku hiring Hit and the Dr Slump crossover weren't in Toriyama's original story draft for Super. However, at the same time, liberties can be take with how Toei use the material given to them by Toriyama telling the story in the anime. And it doesn't help that we don't know how much detail is put into Toriyama's plot outline to give us a proper thought on much the writing staff change and edit Toriyama's original premise. Not to mention, I'm certain Toriyama doesn't give a flying fudge about what happens in between one major arc where he provides the story outline for and the next one. But of course, Toriyama has openly complained about the quality of Super in some capacity in the past. So it would imply he's watching/watched the show. So does that mean that all of the episodes can be collectively seen as one story under Toriyama's supervision? But then again, you could raise the argument that all of Super is technically filler, given when the story is set. But of course, nothing we've seen in "filler" episode really contradict what we see in the major acrs. But filler doesn't necessarily have to contradict what is seen the episodes of the main story of any anime and still not been seen as "filler"

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:21 am

Goku's hiring Hit isn't even the sort of filler material we should be talking about- all that would come of it is Goku's bringing it up for a quick joke.

I think what's tripping people up is that for most of this series history, drawing the line between the important and the frivolous was easy: the manga itself and comments by Toriyama. By extension, TV anime filler becomes synonymous with "false", as it typically serves the anime's production schedule rather than the story.

But Super is a fluid story; it doesn't work that way. There is no single "master" story by which we can judge everything else. Toriyama's outlines are the core ideas, but we know both Toei and Toyotaro are embellishing them; we don't know where Toriyama ends and they being. The TV anime is the core product, which is the closest to a "canon, I guess, if you need something" designation you could get, but again, Toyotaro is doing different things with the same source.

Going off that, does Super have filler? Yes, functionally speaking. But because Super is not adapting any "complete" source material, the filler material has every right to be utilized in future events- it is as much a part of Toei's version of the story as anything else.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:36 pm

It's rather obvious Goku and Hit will acknowledge they fought each other again recently. They won't act like they haven't seen each other since the Champa tournament.