What are the single biggest pros and cons regarding Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: What are the single biggest pros and cons regarding Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Miracles » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 am

Pros: It's entertaining, exciting dialogue between characters, good characters. Good fight animation when on point.
Cons: Always gets compared to it's predecessor. Therefore will always be judge heavily with a microscope.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Pros: Its new Dragonball Canon and everyone hated GT, so yay I guess?
Cons: Power scaling is complete BS, characters like Gohan and Gotenks are underused, lame transformations like SSJB, Goku and Chi chi get regressed personality wise etc

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 am

Pros
-The SOL episodes. They're not amazing or breaking any major grounds but it's always nice to see how the characters act in everyday lives and they do the job for the most parts
-Expansion of the gods and universal lore
-The new characters (I like all except Frost and Botamo)
-The manga has great art

Cons
-It plays things very safe
-Powerscaling is all over the place... in the anime at least
-Tries too hard at being funny... even at the expense of characterization (see Goku, Chi-Chi, and Mr. Boo)
-The art/animation in the anime is generally mediocre-to-subpar

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Pro: its overall style. DBZ was all about power and who can become the strongest.
Which is why Trunks Roflstomped Cell when he went USSJ or when Raditz killed both Goku and Piccolo. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Pros: Bringing back old characters, some cool animation, Master Roshi's return, Beerus.
Cons: Some animation, a significant percentage of Norihito Sumitomo BGMs, Trunks and Mai's relationship (sorry, I know people are mostly in favour of it but I just think it's kind of weird), the English dub of "Hello Hello Hello," and the fact that the music seldom shuts up.
Basically, I think Super's biggest flaw is its inconsistency. Animation can be brilliant at times while at others it's just awful. The music is quite good in certain cases but it never shuts up and almost every synth BGM is horrendously repetitive, unfitting, and annoying.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 pm

My opinion on DBS is it had an awful start but right now it's awesome. Many cons I have on older episodes have now disappeared. The power levels are complete BS but if you can outlook that it's a great continuation imo.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Super has been consistently entertaining after the movie adaption episodes ended. Not every episode is good, some eps have terrible animation, and there's some weird writing choices in scenes, but overall it's fun to watch.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Pros: It does an amazing attempt to get more people involved in the series. I can't thank it enough for that.

Cons: It has forsaken the story telling tool of set up, build up, and pay off, to immediately jump into the cool pay off in most cases. Might be a problem with time constraints or deeper thought in the writing process.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 am

Pros: Redefining the godhood and making it play a big part in the multiverse. I was never big fan of having the Supreme Kais having a similar set-up to the regular Kais. With the Kais I like idea of four Kais being in charge of the four quadrants of the mortal universe, while a Grand Kai is in charge of overseeing their progress. There should only be one Supreme Kai because it would make the position more unique compared to the regular Kais.

Cons: Like others have mentioned before me, the sagas and stories could be longer, though not too long. So far the sagas feel rushed! Like we start, have a great buildup, then the saga is over. I feel as a fan if they could make the sagas longer than they could get more out the plot.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri May 05, 2017 6:29 am

Pros:

- Very good worldbuilding
- Good storytelling
- Huge potential for lots of stories due to the scope of the universe
- Very good cast use
- Faithful to the original manga in both inspiration and mood
- No direct references to Toei-made theatrical movies
- Tasteful homages to non-canon characters without using them directly

Cons:

- Problems and inconsistencies with power scaling due to a decision to reintroduce the original SSj forms (fanservice?)
- Bad art and animation at times

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Does saying that DBS gave the western fan-base a much more fair opinion of the Japanese cast count as a pro?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"