Shouldn't Vegetto have had armor?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Re: Shouldn't Vegetto have had armor?

Post by z_cherub » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 am

Beek King wrote:My headcanon/theory regarding Vegetto looking exactly the same as in the Buu saga is that because a Potara Fusion character is a separate entity to those two that make him up, the looks that Goku and Vegeta had back during Buu played a role creating Vegetto for the first time, and after that Vegetto would have the same outfit no matter what the two are wearing if they fuse again because they're going back to an already established entity with established looks. Hopefully my wording isn't confusing and you see where I'm getting at.

But that's just an overcomplicated justification I came up with. I wish they not only took into account the looks of Vegeta and Goku at the time but kept the RoF/U6 tournament outfits of them so we'd get a brand new Vegetto outfit made out of those.
That's where I'm at as well. That's my made up reason, though I shouldn't have to make things make sense for Toei - I fully acknowledge that whatever I tell myself, it was simply an oversight or a design choice... Nothing story/continuity-based.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:34 am

Why? Vegito took Goku's clothes and Vegeta's colors (as did in Z), it's the same as saying Vegito should've had Goku's shoes instead of Vegeta's.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:08 am

Following the logic that Vegetto's design consists of a mixture between Goku and Vegeta's outfits, he could eventually keep the armor; although, upon reflection, the fact that he already keeps Vegeta's boots, gloves and the main color would make the armor an unnecessary addition, seeing that what he keeps from Goku is mostly the gi outfit (and the orange switches to the undershirt). I suppose the anime made a good call on destroying Vegeta's armor before the fusion to prevent that, unlike the manga, despite not being a very relevant detail.

However, to be honest, I think Vegetto looks better without the armor; but I have to agree with others that seeing Vegetto with a combination of the RoF outfits would have been interesting (despite that probably the result would have been the same Vegetto only with a dark grey gi, rather than blue).
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:36 pm

batistabus wrote:I don't support Jinzoningen MULE's tone, but he's changed my mind on this matter. I thought it was strange that the design for Vegetto was exactly the same, but if the only things Vegetto took from Vegeta in the first place are his gloves and boots (two things he also has in the Zamasu arc), then it makes sense that his design should look the same.
I honestly thought it was used because that was Vegitto's official design, kind of like a stock reference for him since he doesn't have an alternate outside that situation where Vegeta did have armor. I also considered it could have been the fault on Vegeta having the armor in the first place. Because in the Buu arc I assumed he got rid of it, which was why I questioned it being back in BoG. However, with the rationality that Vegitto is just Goku's gi inverted for Vegeta's coloration and keeping his boots & gloves is just to show his dominant influence in the fusion, then it makes sense why he doesn't have armor. Armor would just overshadow the half of Vegito that is reflecttng "Kakarot" because Goku doesn't wear armor. So that makes sense.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 06, 2017 9:03 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
batistabus wrote:I don't support Jinzoningen MULE's tone, but he's changed my mind on this matter. I thought it was strange that the design for Vegetto was exactly the same, but if the only things Vegetto took from Vegeta in the first place are his gloves and boots (two things he also has in the Zamasu arc), then it makes sense that his design should look the same.
I honestly thought it was used because that was Vegitto's official design, kind of like a stock reference for him since he doesn't have an alternate outside that situation where Vegeta did have armor. I also considered it could have been the fault on Vegeta having the armor in the first place. Because in the Buu arc I assumed he got rid of it, which was why I questioned it being back in BoG. However, with the rationality that Vegitto is just Goku's gi inverted for Vegeta's coloration and keeping his boots & gloves is just to show his dominant influence in the fusion, then it makes sense why he doesn't have armor. Armor would just overshadow the half of Vegito that is reflecttng "Kakarot" because Goku doesn't wear armor. So that makes sense.
I agree with you. And if Vegetto had armor, he would basically look exactly like Vegeta which wouldn't make sense. He's already wearing Vegeta's boots and gloves and his color is blue, it only makes sense that he's wearing Goku's gi. I think that's what Toriyama thought when he decided Vegetto was going to reappear in his old clothes, though I appreciate the fact Toei destroyed Vegeta's armor so it's even easier to accept the fact Vegetto still looked like that.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 08, 2017 1:53 am

emperior wrote:
I agree with you. And if Vegetto had armor, he would basically look exactly like Vegeta which wouldn't make sense. He's already wearing Vegeta's boots and gloves and his color is blue, it only makes sense that he's wearing Goku's gi. I think that's what Toriyama thought when he decided Vegetto was going to reappear in his old clothes, though I appreciate the fact Toei destroyed Vegeta's armor so it's even easier to accept the fact Vegetto still looked like that.
Yeah. Even though Goku's undershirt is already blue, I figured they inverted it because Vegeta's main color was that same shade of blue but without the Gi, there wouldn't be anything from Goku in the fusion. (Maybe outside the 2 fringes of hair, as Vegeta doesn't have bangs). Though Vegeta seems to dominate like 95% of the fusion which I don't know if that specifically makes sense or not. Also the fact that they colored Vegito's hair brown as well (which seems to be something Toei really pushed to sneak in on Vegeta).
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 am

I'm just gonna drop this in here and note that I think this fan made Vegetto design is pretty damn awesome and would've been spot on perfect for use in Super. Kudos to the artist.

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah, this is what Future Trunks saga Vegetto should look like. If he needed to return, at least bring something new, a new outfit would be awesome, and a merge of Movie 15's clothes would be even better indeed. But instead... :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon May 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Yeah Vegetto should have had armor, it's not like Vegeta lost all his armor, only half, afterall.
It's fair to say the only thing his outfit takes from Vegeta are the gloves and boots. The gi is just an inversion of the gi Goku is wearing.
Would have wanted an updated gi and of course I didn't want them to change back to their Z era outfits in the first place either, but Toriyama and or Toei reverted them back to their iconic looks, for God knows what reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I can't believe I just spotted this thread now. I actually made a point about this several months ago.

But, yeah. Vegetto totally should have armor.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah, he definitely should have had armor, but I guess they were going for the nostalgia thing and made him look the same, but it was still enjoyable so no big deal.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:I'm just gonna drop this in here and note that I think this fan made Vegetto design is pretty damn awesome and would've been spot on perfect for use in Super. Kudos to the artist.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Just to piggyback off of this, there was another Future Trunks specific alternative outfit that I came across that would have been perfect for Vegetto:

darkclaw89

Post by darkclaw89 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 pm Vegetto's clothes have always been Goku's Gi with a pallet leaning towards Vegeta. If you think he should have armor, you're fundamentally misunderstanding Vegetto's design.
I joined just so I could say that you are tone deaf, Jinzoningen MULE. Telling someone they are "fundamentally misunderstanding" something you are not an expert on is totally a personal attack (and a conceited one at that). You could have approached this as a difference of opinion and explained your view, but instead you chose to be an a**hole. And then you tried to pass off your diagram as "scientific" LOL. How hilarious. You need to humble up.

As for the discussion, i agree with z_cherub's point of view. The concept of Potara fusion is all about.. well, fusion. That includes the physical appearance and clothing. Here's a breakdown of the clothing for Vegetto.

Uniquely Vegeta's:
  • Gloves
  • boots
Uniquely Goku's:
  • Belt
  • undershirt (with colour change to Goku's dominant gi colour)
Goku + Vegeta Mixed:
  • The main gi - Goku's form and Vegeta's colour
  • the Potara earings (one from each of their ears)
For me, this is quite convincing that the in-universe logic for fusion is that the fused warrior's clothing (and everything else) is a mix of the two contributors. This logic means that Vegetto's clothing should change with that of Goku's and Vegeta's. It's a shame that Super didn't maintain that logic (but that kind of inconsistency is common in DB). In addition to the amazing artwork above, here is another cool fan art of what it could have looked like (though this is during the Namek arc, it might have been something similar).

Last edited by darkclaw89 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Shouldn't Vegetto's clothes look like shit because he is only ever formed when Gokuu and Vegeta look like shit?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm

darkclaw89 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:03 pmIt's a shame that Super didn't maintain that logic (but that kind of inconsistency is common in DB)
It isn't common. It's just Dragon Ball Super being Dragon Ball Super.

In Prison Planet saga, Vegetto's clothes follows the exact same logic originally applied. He wears Vegeta's gloves and boots and retains Goku's clothes but using Vegeta's color scheme.

The same goes to Xeno Vegetto. Xeno Vegeta's gloves and boots, Xeno Goku clothes with Xeno Vegeta's color scheme.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

darkclaw89

Post by darkclaw89 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:09 pm Shouldn't Vegetto's clothes look like shit because he is only ever formed when Gokuu and Vegeta look like shit?
I would think so!

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm
darkclaw89 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:03 pmIt's a shame that Super didn't maintain that logic (but that kind of inconsistency is common in DB)
It isn't common. It's just Dragon Ball Super being Dragon Ball Super.

In Prison Planet saga, Vegetto's clothes follows the exact same logic originally applied. He wears Vegeta's gloves and boots and retains Goku's clothes but using Vegeta's color scheme.

The same goes to Xeno Vegetto. Xeno Vegeta's gloves and boots, Xeno Goku clothes with Xeno Vegeta's color scheme.
Fair enough! I guess I was speaking of inconsistencies more generally in the main series, but point taken.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pmIt's just Dragon Ball Super being Dragon Ball Super.
No matter how you try to justify something, this is usually the conclusion you end up with. I really hope once Super returns it'll stop being so inconsistent. I understand with a story as long as DB's you're going to eventually end up with some things that don't line up, but Super is just ridicules. Like many of its inconsistencies, a very simple change could've prevented this one. Instead of breaking off part of Vegeta's armor, they should've just broken it off completely, resulting in him looking closer to his Buu arc self.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Well, the Vegito Blue toys needed to have the same clothes as the old Z ones, otherwise children would have had trouble recognizing him smh I hate how the visual aspect of db is dictated purely by marketing [I hate using this word since Masako kinda turned it into a normie meme, but it's true lmao]
Get Fucked, C_unt

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:09 pm Shouldn't Vegetto's clothes look like shit because he is only ever formed when Gokuu and Vegeta look like shit?
Exactly.

With that said, in the manga the clothes wew relatively unharmed, right? Then Vegetto should have an armor in there (I don't like the design with the armor in the fanarts, though).

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Even if no armor, at least the color Vegeta provides to the fusion's outfit should not have been JUST blue, because there is a lot of white and yellow in his upper body. It would've been an interesting creative choice on Toyo's part but Vegito's inclusion was just fanservice in the manga where they didn't even bother to break Vegeta's armor or make his participation of any value whatsoever unlike the anime where he at least helped weaken Zamasu.

Going back to the Z clothing is something I'm really against. I still wonder who chooses what outfit Goku and Vegeta wear in the manga. In the anime of course Toei will go for the classic one, but I don't think Toriyama actually tells Toyo what clothes to give to the characters.