Gohan goes beyond his limits! Do you think we will see a stronger Piccolo?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Gohan goes beyond his limits! Do you think we will see a stronger Piccolo?

Post by larzooma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 am

What do you think of Piccolo's strength in the upcoming episode? Do you think DBS will clearly show how strong Piccolo has become from the start of the series to the battle with Frost through to the current time? He looks to be going up against a SSJ Gohan, which even if Gohan is in a weakened state, is still pretty powerful.

I know people are pretty angry about the last few episodes, but I feel the Krillin episode displayed the amazing Ki control Blue offers compared to the other SSJ forms, and I think you can make a pretty decent argument for 17 gaining a significant power boost over a 10 year period, especially when we don't have definitive knowledge of the Androids ability to gain power through training nor do we have any idea how he trained. Piccolo is a different story. I think they've been pretty vague on his true power. The Frost fight can be interpreted in a number of ways, with Piccolo coming out of the fight at a comparative power level to fend off Frost's attacks while maintaining his special beam cannon or Piccolo coming off desperately attempting a gimmicky move to hopefully win. As a huge Piccolo fan, I tend to lean towards the former, but we haven't really seen a fight where he has to show his maximum power. If he plans on fully unlocking Gohans ability, he will have to push out enough power to keep him on his toes, which eventually forces Gohan to realize he needs to reach a new level to protect the universe. Do you think we will get a better sense of Piccolo's true power, or possibly even see an indication of a decent boost in power? I'd love to see Super Namekian God or some sort of multiplier, but I don't think this arc will introduce something that substantial for his character. Fingers crossed for some love to the long time Piccolo fans out there.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Gohan goes beyond his limits! Do you think we will see a stronger Piccolo?

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 am

I think we'll get a pretty decent idea of how strong Piccolo is within this next episode. I also think it's likely he'll reach a new level of power as well.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 am

Gohan will be getting a big boost that's for sure..
I don't see why piccolo can't get a little stronger as well..
We will see if he did or not shortly in a day either way
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am

He is probably getting a little stronger, but nothing major.
But I hope he will get a power-up of some sort during the tournament. I would like it if a Namekian from U6 gets defeated and while he lies on the ground he decides to fuse with Piccolo with the promise that if U7 wins Piccolo wishes for U6 back.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:31 am

Piccolo has been training his ass off alongside Gohan to get his pupil back into shape. I could buy him getting stronger for Gohan's sake, especially since training with a partner has generally been beneficial in the series. We see that the two of them have made gains as of the Universe 6/7 Tournament, though by how much is unknown, just that Piccolo is equal to a base Gohan that has improved quite a bit since he was utterly trounced by First Form Freeza in RoF.

We next see Gohan make even further gains at the end of the Future Trunks Arc, looking a lot more Ultimate than he has ever been besides back in the Buu Saga. He flies up with Piccolo, implying that the two have been training together, and Gohan is looking pretty freaking sweaty. Next we see his pupil, he's taking on his dad relatively well in a spar in Super Saiyan form, and is highly regarded by everyone but himself at the Zen Exhibition Match, with his power being remarked on by both Goku AND Bergamo, the latter of which had nothing to say about Majin Buu.

And now it's looking like Piccolo is gonna beat the Ultimate back into Gohan, better than ever before, possibly even taking on Super Saiyan Gohan, although whether that'll be skill-based or power-based remains to be seen.

I could definitely see Piccolo having reached lower-level Buus in power, possibly even reaching into upper tiers.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 pm

For this arc, I hope he moves up to the third tier in power.

1. God tier- Goku, Vegeta
2. Tier 1 - Ultimate Gohan
3. Tier 2 - Buu, Android 17, Piccolo
4. Tier 3 - Android 18
5. Tier 4 - Krillin, Tien, Master Roshi

I'm fine with Piccolo remaining behind Goku and Vegeta for now. This arc seems to have a boost in store for either Goku or Gohan, or maybe both. In the future, Piccolo deserves another moment where he takes the crown as the strongest Z fighter, even if it's a limited amount of time similar to post fusion with Nails and Kami. My fingers are crossed though that he gains a decent boost, or gets the chance to show his true power, tomorrow night and next week.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I want to see a Namekian at the tournament that can rival Piccolo but one can only dream.

I hope Piccolo got stronger, the NEP looks promising. I'm hyped for this one.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Possibly... It depends on how the episode plays out tommorow and how strong gohan will be in his mystic form.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm

larzooma wrote:For this arc, I hope he moves up to the third tier in power.

1. God tier- Goku, Vegeta
2. Tier 1 - Ultimate Gohan
3. Tier 2 - Buu, Android 17, Piccolo
4. Tier 3 - Android 18
5. Tier 4 - Krillin, Tien, Master Roshi

I'm fine with Piccolo remaining behind Goku and Vegeta for now. This arc seems to have a boost in store for either Goku or Gohan, or maybe both. In the future, Piccolo deserves another moment where he takes the crown as the strongest Z fighter, even if it's a limited amount of time similar to post fusion with Nails and Kami. My fingers are crossed though that he gains a decent boost, or gets the chance to show his true power, tomorrow night and next week.
I think 17 is much stronger than ultimate Gohan.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Hmm, as much as I actually loved the power increase given to 17, and he's far from one of my favorite characters, I don't think we have enough information to compare him to Gohan in his Ultimate or Mystic form. I think he will reach new heights this time based on the motivation of saving his family as fuel for gaining as much power as possible. Although we saw Gohan unleash his ability in response to extreme pain or death to the people he cares about, we've never seen him strive to improve as much as we've seen lately. Every parent here will agree the motivation to protect your children brings out an inner strength in a way that nothing else can. I think 17 is definately at a new level, and I can't wait to see the extent of his power in the tournament, but I think Gohan will set himself apart from the tier below by a fair margin.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm

How can Gohan improve so much in just 30 hours? At least we can say No-17 has had years to make improvements to justify his change in strength level, while Gohan literally did nothing and lost his ability to fight well. I'm not a Gohan fan, I stopped being one when they made him a scholar, but this "amping" him up is just fanservice.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm

MagmonKai wrote:How can Gohan improve so much in just 30 hours ?
The same way Krillin can hold off a SsjB Goku for awhile and #17 going up against SsjB Goku, the writers say so.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm

This is going to be amazing!!! Two of the most popular secondary characters are about to go head to head, the episode hasn't even aired yet but I can already taste the salty tears.

Probably what should be the case is Base Gohan is weakest, then Piccolo, then SSJ Gohan. Mystic Gohan should be WAYYY stronger than Piccolo.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:15 pm

In Gohan's case, I think he's put in a good amount of work to get into fighting shape, as evident by the fight with Lavender. Achieving his Ultimate form is more about unlocking power he already has inside, but can't access on a regular basis. Gohan has always displayed a hidden and vast amount of unexplained power. Piccolo is going to focus on getting Gohan into the place he needs to be mentally to unlock his full potential. Who better than his surrogate Dad, who sacrificed himself to save Gohan on a number of occasions, to push Gohan until he acheives the power needed to protect his family and the people he cares about.

Even if we start at the base power of the characters at the end of the Cell saga for 17, and as Ultimate Gohan in the Buu saga, the disparity between their respective levels is absolutely huge. Even stick-stickly in a green jumpsuit maintained a decent amount of that power.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:18 pm

sintzu wrote:
The same way Krillin can hold off a SsjB Goku for awhile and #17 going up against SsjB Goku, the writers say so.
I'm looking for "In-Universe" answers not really "the writers says so" it's not really a good point to take. We all know the plot is written, but sometimes there are reasons within the show that can offer clues.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:42 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'm looking for "In-Universe" answers not really "the writers says so" it's not really a good point to take. We all know the plot is written, but sometimes there are reasons within the show that can offer clues.
Ugh, I think people have put forth plausible "In-Universe" arguments for Krillin's beam fight with Goku, and the possibility of 17 achieving such a high level of power. The whole gaining actual boosts in such a short time without training in the room of spirit and time or Whis' staff doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Someone made an argument that Buu is on another level entirely, and training for a few hours could possibly cause a noticeable increase in power, which could be true. Krillin experienced a sort of spirtual awakening some episodes back when he faced his fears with Goku, which helped him overcome his fear to access his true potential. So his boost is a combination of that experience and training since the experience. Android 17 has had a decade to train, so he didn't gain his boost in 30 hours. Other than Buu really, we haven't seen someone gain the boost from the training performed over the recruitment period.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 pm

As for now we could claim that Piccolo is stronger than Lavenda because Gohan was seen struggling in SSJ.

Piccolo gaining big powerups after training offscreen isnt nothing new, that what he often did in Z.

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
sintzu wrote:
We won't know until the episode is out really but my guess is that they will exploit his zenkai with a bag of sensu beans.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:12 pm

MagmonKai wrote:How can Gohan improve so much in just 30 hours? At least we can say No-17 has had years to make improvements to justify his change in strength level, while Gohan literally did nothing and lost his ability to fight well. I'm not a Gohan fan, I stopped being one when they made him a scholar, but this "amping" him up is just fanservice.
This is the same series that trunks go from ssj2 to blue tier in two days a guy like gohan who has massive shouldn't have any problem getting In that tier Just in tine for the tourney.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Piccolo is going to destroy Gohan in the next episode and is going to show everyone how dangerous he will be in the actual tournament.