Would the Dragon Ball Super manga be better if it was weekly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Would the Dragon Ball Super manga be better if it was weekly?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 20, 2017 2:43 pm

I've been wanting to make this topic for a while now, and I said "F*** it!" Now the Dragon Ball Super manga has been very polarizing for a lot of people. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people say it's better than the anime, some people say it's completely pointless. And I tried to think of a way to fix most people's problem with the manga. And I think the biggest reason why people don't care about the manga is because it's behind the anime. So that's why I wanna ask you guys, would the manga be better if it was a weekly manga instead of a monthly manga?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Would the Dragon Ball Super manga be better if it was weekly?

Post by Basako » Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm

I think the perfect timing would be if it was released twice a month, about twenty pages each time, because only once feels like a lot of time to wait. But the narrative is thought as monthly now, things like cliffhangers would be different with other timing, so it would be a bit different.
Heno heno kappa!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Monthly is the best for it.
What I didn't like was in the beginning when it was monthly but it had a weekly chapter size. That was cheap.

Being weekly wouldn't improve Toyotaro's writing (It could even make it worse) and the art would suffer. Waiting less for a worse product doesn't work for me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 3:24 pm

I think so. What a lot of people don't understand is that a chapter isn't just an arbitrary marker, you have to have a mini-arc in each one. With Toriyama's 15-ish page chapters, this served the long-form storytelling well. New developments every chapter, twists and turns and adventures and comedy all culminating into very entertaining, long-form stories. With Toyotaro's 40+ page chapters, you also have to have a mini-arc, but you have to ensure that it has a solid beginning, middle, and end while also keeping at a reasonable pace. This puts a handicap on Toyotaro, someone who's spent so much time and effort on emulating Toriyama, he has to balance bloating his chapters without slowing them down too much. I don't envy his position. If he were doing weekly chapters, still supervised and edited by Toriyama, I have no doubt the manga would be in a very different problem. Granted, the differences can't be solely attributed to the page count, Toriyama also has a natural talent and flow that Toyotaro just doesn't, but weekly output would be a step in the right direction. Of course, it's impossible, since he'll never go beyond V-Jump, but it's interesting to talk in hypotheticals.
FortuneSSJ wrote:Monthly is the best for it.
What I didn't like was in the beginning when it was monthly but it had a weekly chapter size. That was cheap.

Being weekly wouldn't improve Toyotaro's writing (It could even make it worse) and the art would suffer. Waiting less for a worse product doesn't work for me.
The size had nothing to do with the quality of those first chapters. He was covering a ridiculous amount of content all at once with a miniscule page count, and he had to stay ahead of the show. It was an impossible task. If he were to keep the current style of pacing with weekly 15-20 page chapters, it would likely iron out just fine. Not sure what you think this has to do with writing talents, though, or why you think it would necessarily be worse. Care to explain further?
Retired.

DragonDealer

Post by DragonDealer » Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes, I think the manga would be much better if it wasn't just a monthly promotional thingy for the anime.

The manga, especially in the beginning, felt really rushed. A lot of panels just explained what happened really quickly, instead of actually showing it.

I love the manga, and also met Toyotaro in person and congratulated him for his work, but I think the anime is superior because it's the main thing and is not rushed.

I wish they had created the manga first and the anime second, just like the old dragon ball series.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: The size had nothing to do with the quality of those first chapters. He was covering a ridiculous amount of content all at once with a miniscule page count, and he had to stay ahead of the show. It was an impossible task. If he were to keep the current style of pacing with weekly 15-20 page chapters, it would likely iron out just fine. Not sure what you think this has to do with writing talents, though, or why you think it would necessarily be worse. Care to explain further?
The BOG arc was okay for what it was, but I had problems with the page count. Monthly chapter with weekly chapter size is just cheap.

The first chapters of Champa arc also had weekly size, but here my main problem is already the writing which continued with FT Trunks arc.
Ironically my problems with Champa arc started when the anime was already ahead. It hasn't anything to do with pacing, but with his decisions - Vegeta vs Magetta being a gag fight, Goku using SSG as a normal transformation, Goku saying Vegeta could beat Hit for sure if he planned ahead, etc...

As for why I think going weekly could make his writing worse, it's because having shorter deadlines to meet would affect his creative process.
Being monthly gives him more time to think on what he wants to do.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: The size had nothing to do with the quality of those first chapters. He was covering a ridiculous amount of content all at once with a miniscule page count, and he had to stay ahead of the show. It was an impossible task. If he were to keep the current style of pacing with weekly 15-20 page chapters, it would likely iron out just fine. Not sure what you think this has to do with writing talents, though, or why you think it would necessarily be worse. Care to explain further?
The BOG arc was okay for what it was, but I had problems with the page count. Monthly chapter with weekly chapter size is just cheap.

The first chapters of Champa arc also had weekly size, but here my main problem is already the writing which continued with FT Trunks arc.
Ironically my problems with Champa arc started when the anime was already ahead. It hasn't anything to do with pacing, but with his decisions - Vegeta vs Magetta being a gag fight, Goku using SSG as a normal transformation, Goku saying Vegeta could beat Hit for sure if he planned ahead, etc...

As for why I think going weekly could make his writing worse, it's because having shorter deadlines to meet would affect his creative process.
Being monthly gives him more time to think on what he wants to do.
There's nothing wrong with vegeta vs maggetta being a gag figth, because let's be real,the Anime was just bad because it had forced tension and chapter 12 and 13,are the chapter that increase the manga page count even further
Mostly active on discord.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:00 pm

It would probably be worse. A weekly schedule took a lot out of Toriyama. Toyotaro can barely keep up a monthly schedule without his art taking a nose dive.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 9:08 pm

The gr wrote: There's nothing wrong with vegeta vs maggetta being a gag figth, because let's be real,the Anime was just bad because it had forced tension
Everything is wrong because for a gag fight we already had Goku vs Botamo and Monaka vs Hit in Toriyama's outline.
Forced tension because of making a U6 fighter that we don't know nothing about give Vegeta a hard time?! If I wanted to see opponents get beaten easy, I would pick up One Punch Man. That's boring.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 20, 2017 9:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
The gr wrote: There's nothing wrong with vegeta vs maggetta being a gag figth, because let's be real,the Anime was just bad because it had forced tension
Everything is wrong because for a gag fight we already had got Goku vs Botamo.
Forced tension because of making a U6 fighter that we don't know nothing about give Vegeta a hard time?! If I wanted to see opponents get beaten easy, I would pick up One Punch Man. That's boring.
Forced tension because Vegeta had ssb and own maggetta Instead of wasting his time and lossing energy like a bufoon,if they want to make that match more tense,then make vegeta go ssb and have Maggie to be on par with that power
Doctor. wrote:It would probably be worse. A weekly schedule took a lot out of Toriyama. Toyotaro can barely keep up a monthly schedule without his art taking a nose dive.
agreed,the art will get exponentially worse and he potentially have health issue causing his manga to be in hiatus,it makes more sense of Toyo work for v jump, because he needs the advertise the new design or concepts for the anime
Last edited by The gr on Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm sorry, but this idea that his artwork would suffer is totally unfounded. Even at its worst, it has been perfectly serviceable.
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm sorry, but this idea that his artwork would suffer is totally unfounded. Even at its worst, it has been perfectly serviceable.
Have you seen how terrible it got when he did the Heroes manga? It was completely unrecognizable as Dragon Ball.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm sorry, but this idea that his artwork would suffer is totally unfounded. Even at its worst, it has been perfectly serviceable.
Have you seen how terrible it got when he did the Heroes manga? It was completely unrecognizable as Dragon Ball.
No, but even if it was so at the time, the sheer amount of his output at the moment is almost on-par with weekly content. It's not far-fetched to assume that it would be similar under a weekly schedule.
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No, but even if it was so at the time, the sheer amount of his output at the moment is almost on-par with weekly content. It's not far-fetched to assume that it would be similar under a weekly schedule.
Let's not fool ourselves. Toyotaro does around 40 pages per month, maybe 45. That's two weeks' worth. He would have to do double the pages (or almost) he does now.

If Toriyama almost completely drops screentones and simplifies his art after the first arc, to the point where it's downright lazy in the Boo arc, what makes you think someone like Toyotaro wouldn't have a noticeable quality drop?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No, but even if it was so at the time, the sheer amount of his output at the moment is almost on-par with weekly content. It's not far-fetched to assume that it would be similar under a weekly schedule.
Let's not fool ourselves. Toyotaro does around 40 pages per month, maybe 45. That's two weeks' worth. He would have to do double the pages (or almost) he does now.

If Toriyama almost completely drops screentones and simplifies his art after the first arc, to the point where it's downright lazy in the Boo arc, what makes you think someone like Toyotaro wouldn't have a noticeable quality drop?
He couldn't learn to adapt like other mangakas? He's very passionate about his work, the art quality will get better as time goes on.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

He couldn't learn to adapt like other mangakas? He's very passionate about his work, the art quality will get better as time goes on.
Yes, and by "adapt", he would have to simplify his art (like he's already been doing with his Super manga) and not put in as much detail into each panel as before. Nobody's saying it's gonna be awful but it's clear that there's going to be a quality drop.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:

Let's go with 40 pages. That's 2.6 to 3 times what Toriyama used to put out. However, he also crams more dialogue and choreography into small places than Toriyama, meaning that he could likely extend that a good bit if his chapters were better segmented, and given some breathing room. It's pretty close, if not on-par. That's assuming 40 pages, and he hasn't gone that low for 4 months.
Retired.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Let's go with 40 pages. That's 2.6 to 3 times what Toriyama used to put out.
A month has 4 full weeks. Toriyama only drew 15 pages in the first arc because Dragon Ball was a gag series then but as it evolved into an action series, he started doing 18 pages per week. That's 72 pages in a month. That's almost twice what Toyotaro does.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:However, he also crams more dialogue and choreography into small places than Toriyama, meaning that he could likely extend that a good bit if his chapters were better segmented, and given some breathing room. It's pretty close, if not on-par.
Unless he starts ignoring backgrounds and does wide panels with nothing but face shots, the space he's saving by spacing things out better will still have to be filled with drawings.

Nobody's saying Toyotaro can't do it, in fact I think he can pull off a weekly schedule relatively fine. But acting like there's not going to be any quality drop, especially when the Super manga has been suffering from that same problem for a few chapters now and Toyotaro has shown that his art suffers from the schedule during the Heroes manga, is nothing short of delusional.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:A month has 4 full weeks. Toriyama only drew 15 pages in the first arc because Dragon Ball was a gag series then but as it evolved into an action series, he started doing 18 pages per week. That's 72 pages in a month.
Not saying you're wrong, but when did this change happen? I'm glancing through several volumes from the Cell Games to the Boo Arc, and most of the chapters seem to be around 15 pages. Most of them are actually a page or two less.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Doctor. wrote: Yes, and by "adapt", he would have to simplify his art (like he's already been doing with his Super manga) and not put in as much detail into each panel as before. Nobody's saying it's gonna be awful but it's clear that there's going to be a quality drop.
His art panel-to-panel has been looking pretty consistent to me, even some of the most experienced mangaka have simplistic panels. It could be a stylistic choice and the work load can always be reduced with the help of assistants.